chapter VII | Cousin is here, bye friends, and sneaky kisses

Loving an Unknown

 

When Taemin reached home, Jinki was in the living room reading a book.

             The older one raised his head, eyes widening at the appearance of a student who should be schooling at this timing.  “You didn’t go to school again?” and he threw the book at his younger brother who managed to catch it before it hits his head.

             What the , hardcover book. Hyung, to think I praised you so much just now.

             “Later, I’ll go later for the afternoon one.” The long-haired lad said, throwing the book back at his hyung who caught it effortlessly.

             “There’s food in the kitchen, have some before you go to school.” Jinki said, flipping his book open and finding the page he last read.

             Taemin smiled, “Yes hyung.”

             Minyoung said to follow my heart and do what I think is right.

             What I think is right is to treat you fairly, hyung. The brother who raised me up, ensuring that I grew up well; I’ll walk through s with you. I love you.

             A sudden cold breeze blew towards him, causing goosebumps on his arms. “I guess saying ‘I love you’ to hyung seemed a little too much.”

 

 

When the homeroom teacher came in after lunch hour, the class gasped in shock. Minyoung raised a brow, isn’t it History lesson now? What is Ms. Kim doing here? But what caught the class’s attention was a young fresh-looking guy that followed right behind her.

             “Yes, it is History lesson now but as you all can see, I’m here to introduce a new classmate.” Ms. Kim said, standing in front of the class.

             The new guy smiled, putting his hands down at his side as he bowed 90 degree. “My name is Lee Donghae, nice to meet all of you!” he cheered.

             There was a mix of reactions in the class. Of course, the guys would go ‘boo’ because the newcomer isn’t of an opposite (and instead, someone good-looking); while the girls would be ‘aww’ because yeah, he’s good-looking.

             Minyoung shrugged, staring at her phone instead of paying attention to the new guy who seemed to have taken an interest in her. Why isn’t Taemin here yet, didn’t he say he will be here by the second half of the lesson?

             “Excuse me?”

             Minyoung was still looking at her phone when Donghae stood beside her. Ms. Kim had told Donghae that he could pick a seat on his own and he decided to walk to the back of the class.

             “I’m sorry, did you say something?” Minyoung asked, and Donghae looked at her as though he felt insulted for being ignored.

             “Yeah, I was asking if I could sit here.” He pointed at the table beside Minyoung.

             “Ah, sorry that seat is taken.” She said, not looking at him.

             Donghae’s brows furrowed, what the , she doesn’t even look at me. I was voted the best-looking guy in my school and this girl right here just said to me that I couldn’t sit beside her?

             “Then why isn’t there no one here? I mean, can’t I even sit for a day?” no I’m not going to give up. The harder you’re to get, the more I’m in for the game.

             “What? Can’t you just sit somewhere else? It’s not like there’s no other seats.” Minyoung slightly raised her voice as she furrowed her brows, what is this guy doing?

             Taemin was walking along the corridor when he heard Minyoung’s voice. It wasn’t an everyday thing that Minyoung would raise her voice at someone so when she does, Taemin was curious to see what was going on.

             “Well, I—,”

             “Didn’t she already ask you to sit somewhere else?” Taemin strolled into the classroom, puffing at the homeroom teacher for not doing anything to ease the little commotion.

             Donghae turned around to see who actually had the gut to cut him off, but when he came eye to eye with Taemin, he found the long-haired lad a little familiar, and vice versa. Both of them stared at each other for a while.

             “And you’re?” the newcomer broke the silence.

             Taemin walked past Donghae, brushing Donghae’s shoulder causing him to jerk back. “The owner of the seat.” Taemin said, almost proudly when he plopped himself down on the chair.

             Donghae grunted, no one treats me like this.

             “Well then, I’ll take the seat in front of her.” He said, dumping his bag on the chair right in front of Minyoung’s table. She was dumbfounded.

             The homeroom teacher left right after Taemin came in, she doesn’t even bother to scold him for being absent the whole morning because well, it’s Lee Taemin we’re talking about. It’s useless. Shortly after Donghae settled in his seat, the history teacher came in.

             Taemin sighed, folding his arms and placing them on the table to lean on.  Occasionally, he would glance at Minyoung when she was busy taking notes; and occasionally, he would notice Donghae turning over to glance at him.

             What the ?

             So when the lesson ended after two hours of super boring history lesson, Taemin stood up from his seat and went over to Donghae’s.

             “Are you interested in me?” he asked, having a small smirk on his lips. Minyoung was still copying notes from the blackboard and even asked Taemin not to block her. The long-haired lad obediently shifted himself.

             “What?” Donghae sneered, “From where did you get that conclusion from?”

             “Well, you were stalking me. I mean, you kept turning around so I thought you might be interested in me or something.” Taemin shrugged.

             “No, I’m not gay?” the newcomer snickered, “Instead, I’m kind of interested in her.” He pointed at the girl behind him who was still busy writing, and that had got Taemin’s full attention.

             Minyoung immediately stopped writing when she saw Donghae pointing at her. Of course, she heard the conversation too.

             “Sorry buddy but,” Taemin frowned, acting like he felt bad for Donghae as he leaned closer to Minyoung, “She’s mine.”

             “Is that so?” Donghae had a victory smile on him and Taemin was confused by that. “Soon, she won’t be anymore.” He said, flinging his bag over his shoulder and brushed past Taemin’s shoulder, making him jerk back.

             Taemin clicked his tongue, landing his vision on the back of Donghae’s as he leave the classroom through the backdoor. Minyoung watched Taemin, if glaring could kill, Donghae would be dead by now.

             “You know,” Minyoung sighed, standing up and started packing her stuff, “Donghae could be kidding. You don’t have to get mad at him, or glare at him like you wanted him dead.”

             “So you’re standing on his side now? Like what, I can’t get mad at a guy who just said he will win my girl over?” Taemin retorted.

             “It’s not that, I just don’t like you glaring at people it makes you like a hooligan.” She said, zipping her pencil case and throwing it in her leather tote bag.

             Taemin raised a brow as he nodded his head, “So now you’re disgusted with me being a hooligan? I mean, yeah I’m no longer the young master that you used to know. Are you disappointed now?” He challenged, grabbing his bag and leaving the classroom with Minyoung standing still in her position, puzzled.

             “,” she sighed after Taemin left. She shouldn’t have said that.

 

 

“What?!” Taemin almost spilled the Dark Mocha Frappuccino Key ordered.

             After putting the cup down, he quickly took a seat opposite Key. “Why didn’t you tell me??”

             “I told Minyoung, I thought she was going to tell you.” Key said, shrugging his shoulders. “That silly girl, she must have forgotten.” Taemin rolled his eyes.

             “What happened? Did the both of you quarrel?” Key asked, wrapping his fingers around the cup.

             “Yeah, well, some random guy got transferred to my class and he told me that he took an interest in Minyoung, and that he’s going to have her soon enough.” Taemin clicked his tongue. Donghae, the name alone make him feel so uncomfortable.

             Just then, the café’s bell rang.

             “Oh, hyung is here.” Key said, raising his hand hoping that Jonghyun could notice him; and when he did, he walked over with a black face.

             “Wow, another one with a black face. What’s wrong?”

             “A guy knocked into me just now but he didn’t apologize and instead he gave me a look as though I was the one supposed to apologize.” Jonghyun scoffed, rolling his eyes before telling Taemin that he wanted a cup of Mocha Latte.

             “So did you apologize?” Taemin asked, and he had no idea why Donghae’s face just popped up in his mind. “Of course not, we argued a bit but I decided to just walk off. It’s pointless to reason with this kind of people.” The older one answered.

             “Taemin! Table 14 wants to take order!”

             Taemin turned back and saw Henry hurrying into the kitchen after he called for him. “Got to get back to work, Mocha Latte right? Give me a second.” Taemin smiled before leaving the table.

             Key watched as Taemin went to the other table for order taking. He smiled, looking at how Taemin was not so gloomy anymore. “Have you realized it?” he questioned.

             “Realized what?” Jonghyun asked, looking at his phone and scrolling down the timeline of his Instagram. “Taemin.”

             “Just look at him, he’s different already. And I think it’s all thanks to Minyoung.” His younger brother said.

             “Well, that’s his childhood crush anyway.” Jonghyun nonchalantly replied. “By the way, have you told him that we are flying off tomorrow?”

 

 

It was twelve midnight, and the staffs in the café were busy cleaning the tables, shifting the chairs and mopping the floor. Taemin hated doing closing shift.

             He was wiping the surface of the table with a cloth, cleaning off the coffee stain that probably the previous customer accidentally spilled. “Taemin, there’s nothing left in the kitchen. After you’re done with the tables you can go.” The boss said from the counter, standing behind it and counting the money.

             After wiping it sparkling clean, he straightened his back and stretches his neck; until a certain someone tapped on the glass from the outside to catch his attention.

             “Minyoung?” He smiled but when he remembered what happened in the afternoon, his expression turned sulky. Stupid girl, it’s so late already and you’re still outside loitering.

             “Henry, ask that girl to come in while I go change.” Taemin told Henry who was mopping the floor before he walked to the lockers area.

             Henry raised a brow as he headed to the door, open it and urged Minyoung to come in while waiting. The doorbell rang and caught the boss’s attention. He stared at Minyoung.

             “Taemin’s girlfriend?” He asked before giving her a smile. “You caught a good guy.”

             Minyoung blushed, giving him a smile. I hope that Taemin won’t be mad at me anymore.

             After the long-haired lad done changing, he came out with his bag. “I’m leaving then,” he said, taking Minyoung’s hand. She smiled, holding it tightly.

             “Sure, good work today too.” The boss winked and Taemin chuckled. “See you in my next shift, Henry.” And the couple left.

             “Have you realized?” The boss said, looking at the money in his hands. “What?” Henry questioned, mopping the other side of the café now. “Taemin changed. The aura he’s giving out isn’t dark anymore.”

 

 

“Why did you come? It’s so late already.” Taemin asked as they waited for the last bus to Minyoung’s area. “To find you, the angry boyfriend.” She said.

             “What?” Taemin rolled his eyes. Which boyfriend won’t get angry when a guy is going to snatch your girlfriend?

             The both of them didn’t exchange anymore words, but their fingers were laced together. After a short while when the bus arrived, they boarded the rather empty bus and found a seat for two. With Minyoung on the inner side, she hooked Taemin’s arm and leaned her head on his shoulder before suppressing a yawn.

             “I worked whole day, I’m kind of dirty, you know?” Taemin said, taking a sniff at Minyoung’s hair.

             “It’s okay; you’re a dirty hooligan anyways.” Minyoung joked, earning a light push on her head. “Hey!” she frowned, pulling away from him.

             “You’re so stupid,” Taemin said, hanging his arm around her shoulder to pull her back and putting her head on his shoulder. “I miss you, Minyoung.” He said low, leaning on her head.

             “, I miss you too.” Minyoung pouted, deciding in her heart that bus journey with Taemin was going to be listed as one of her favourite things to do.

 

 

“Did you see them?”

             “Aren’t you taller than me?” Minyoung scoffed, looking around the area looking for Key and Jonghyun. It’s the day that they’re flying off and the couple was here to send them off. “Ah! I saw Key!” Minyoung exclaimed, quickly pulling Taemin with her.

             “Key!” Minyoung shouted, and when Key turned around, he pouted. “I thought I said not to come, I’m going to weep!” Key said, and Taemin was judging him. “Where’s your brother?”

             “He went to the washroom.” Key replied. “Aww, I'm going to miss you guys so much.” He said, hugging both Minyoung and Taemin together.

             “Oh, you guys came.” Jonghyun’s voice rang in their ears and they pulled the hug apart. “By the way, remember the guy that bumped into me yesterday? What the , I saw him. He’s there.” Jonghyun said, diverting his attention to a few meters away behind Key; and when Taemin and Minyoung looked towards that direction, their brow raised at the familiar guy.

             Lee Donghae.

             Taemin sneered, he was right.

             They watched as Donghae had his arms around a female’s waist. She was tall with slender figure, dressed in fitting dress with a pair of red heels. The lady smiled, giving a kiss on Donghae’s lips before waving goodbye.

             Taemin had his mouth form into an ‘O’ shape, “And I thought he said he was interested in you.” He said, nudging Minyoung on her arm.

             “What, you mean that’s the guy who got transferred to your class?” Key asked with a hint of shock in his voice and Taemin nodded. Yeah, the world is that small.

             “Good afternoon passengers. This is the pre-boarding announcement for flight xxx to England, London. We are now inviting those passengers with small children, and any passengers requiring special assistance, to begin boarding at this time. Please have your boarding pass and identification ready. Regular boarding will begin in approximately ten minutes time. Thank you.

             Key sighed, “I guess this is it.”

             “I’ll miss you, Key.” Minyoung gave him one last hug before slotting her hand into Taemin’s again. “I’ll miss you two badly. Oh my, just when the two of you are so cute together.” Key whined.

             “We will meet again, right?” he asked. “Of course, we are good friends, aren’t we?” Taemin smiled. Key and Jonghyun returned a smile before waving goodbye.

             Kim Kibum, Kim Jonghyun, my friends. We will meet again soon. Till then, take care.

             Taemin sighed.

 

 

Taemin walked out of the café with his bag on his shoulder, a phone in one hand and a paper bag with their café’s logo in another. He sighed, dialling Minyoung’s number and waited for her to pick up. Even though he met her in the morning to send Key’s off, he still misses her.

             “Hey,” he smiled as soon as the other line stopped ringing. Taking a deep breath, Taemin paused for a while and stared into the night sky. Usually, he would exhale deeply and thought another day has ended. But recently, he thought that ending his work would mean more time for Minyoung.

             “Hey,” Minyoung’s sweet voice rang in his ear and he smiled as he walked to the bus stop, hoping that he could still catch the last bus. “I miss you…I’m sorry for not spending time with you today and tomorrow,” he said, regretting that he put work schedule on the weekend. He could have put just one day and another to accompany Minyoung.

             “It’s okay; we will see each other on Monday anyway.” Minyoung said as she moved from her study table to her bed before grabbing the nearest pillow. “What are you doing?” Taemin asked, and Minyoung could hear him sniffing his nose.

             “I was studying. Taem, did you catch a cold?” she questioned, sitting upright with concern visible on her face. “I guess so, I was drenched when I went out to throw rubbish and the café was air-conditioned when I came back in.

             Minyoung sighed, remembering that there was a sudden downpour in the evening just now. “What time is your work tomorrow?”

             “12pm to 6, lucky it’s not closing shift.” And she heard Taemin sneezed.

             “Hey…do you have medicine at home? You need to eat one before you sleep.”

             Taemin shivered and rubbed his nose. Aish, he should have brought along a jacket or something.Taemin?” Minyoung called when Taemin didn’t respond. “Yeah?”

             “Are you okay? You sounded like—,

             “Hey Minyoung,” Taemin cut her off, “Hmm?

             “About the medicine…do you have it at home?” Taemin asked, walking past the playground where he first met Minyoung when they were still young. “My house? Yeah, why?

             Taemin chuckled, quickening his pace.

              “Because I might need it.” Taemin replied, “Babe, do you think you could help me open the door? It’s cold outside.”

             Minyong’s eyes widen in shock and almost immediately, she rushed out of her room with her phone still in her hand. Opening the door, she saw Taemin standing there with a red nose.

             “Hey,” Taemin grinned like a fool.

             Minyoung gasped, but she went up and hugged Taemin with a smile.

 

After a hot shower, Taemin changed into Minho’s shorts and tank top. Walking out of the bathroom, he saw Minyoung in the kitchen heating up the food that he brought home. With a smile, he walked over to her and hugged her from the back.

             “So nice to have you in my sight,” Taemin said, resting his head on her shoulder and closing his eyes. Minyoung smiled, pouring boiling water to the cup of cocoa powder. “Here, hot cocoa for the boyfriend with flu.” Minyoung hold up the cup and turned around, facing Taemin.

             A small smile played on Taemin’s lips. He took over the cup and put it back on the counter, before circling Minyoung in his arms again. “You’re so warm, and you smelled so nice.” He mumbled.

             Minyoung’s heart skipped a beat, she felt like she could melt in his embrace. She closed her eyes, and the only sound in her ears was the pounding of her heart. The kind of hug where one lose track of where your body stops and theirs begins, the kind of hug that makes you feel safe and comfortable with no fears and worries. The kind of hug that Taemin gave her, it was beyond perfect.

             Taemin pulled the hug apart as he stared her in the eyes. It was mesmerizing, at least for him. Deep down in his heart, he felt like he could do anything for this girl, he could abandon all else to love her and he wants to be with her always. And most importantly, she was the spark in his pitch-black world.

             Taemin leaned in, capturing Minyoung’s lips with his. She closed her eyes, hanging her arms loosely around Taemin’s neck until Taemin decided to put her on the kitchen counter. She gasped, and Taemin took the chance to deepen the kiss.

             With their tongues fighting each other, Taemin pulled Minyoung closer to him, as close physically as possible, never wanting this moment to end. Minyoung arched her back as she clutched on Taemin desperately, feeling his hands around her, running up and down her back.

             But all of this changed with the sound of the door creaking. Minyoung quickly end the kiss and Taemin chuckled at her silliness. Putting her back down on the ground, Minyoung walked over to the oven that was heating up the puffs that Taemin came with.

             “Hey Taemin, I hope the clothing fits you.” Minho came into the kitchen as Taemin wrapped his fingers around the cup of cocoa. He his lips, still tasting Minyoung before sipping on the hot content. “It fits, thanks.” He smiled. “Want some puffs?”

             Minho’s eyes widen at the food and he marched over to the hot puffs that just came out from the oven. Taemin took a glance at Minyoung, sticking his tongue out at her when she gave him a sneaky smile.