A Car Ride X

Happily (N)ever After

Driving through the city, Yunho looked over at his daughter. Normally she’d be sleeping during a car ride, always claiming that being confined in the small space was a good opportunity to catch up on sleep. But she wasn’t following her usual philosophy for once. Instead her head leaning against the headrest, her eyes focused on the streets passing by outside. Twice Yunho caught her sighing to herself.

 
“Unnie, you’re dating JiSeok oppa? Sooyeon stuttered. 

Joo Hyun nodded, “Mm...we met through school, he was on the track and field team and I was working in the athletic department to get some experience while going through nursing school. Since I already know him, his parents thought it'd be best if I was the head nurse on his case. How funny that you know JiSeok~ah.”

Sooyeon slightly flinched at the endearing way Joo Hyun said JiSeok’s name.  

“Yeah, he’s my best friend’s oppa...”

JiSeok's mom quietly spoke up from her seat in the waiting room, “JiSeok and Sooyeon have known each other ever since Sooyeon started coming to me for piano lessons. She's our Joo Hyunnie's best friend.”

“Oh right,” Joo Hyun grabbed Sooyeon’s arm in excitement. “Isn’t that funny?? JiSeok’s younger sister and I have the same name!”

“Hah....yeah...”

“But I hear everyone calls her Seo Hyun so we won’t get confused then!” Joo Hyun smiled widely.

Sooyeon tried to smile back as best as she could. “Yeah, most people who don't know her call her Seo Hyun....Um, I better get going....appa is waiting for me...”

“Okay! I’ll have to come visit you soon!!”

“Yeahh....”


Hearing a third sigh, Yunho looked over to catch Sooyeon swiping away at a lone tear rolling down her cheek.

“Sweetie...sweetie?”

“Mm?”

“Anything wrong? You showed up in the lobby looking live you’ve seen a ghost. Where’d you go while waiting for me?”

Sooyeon just continued to stare out the window. Concerned about the lack of response, Yunho decided not to press her anymore and just let her be.

Several minutes later Sooyeon turned towards her dad. “Appa?”

“Yes sweetheart?”

“Appa...will I ever get married, do you think?”

“What? Of course! What makes you ask that? You’re appa’s precious daughter. Someone is going to love you a great deal and end up taking you away from me.”

“No appa...I....actually...never mind. I’m just going to sleep for a bit.”

“Mm...okay, sleep...I’ll wake you when we get home.”

Nodding, Sooyeon turned back to the window, huddling into a ball and closed her eyes, falling into dreamland. As she slept, tears subconsciously dripped down, leaving a trail on her face.
 


Pulling into the underground garage Yunho called home.

"Hello?"

"Soojungie, it's appa. Is Yonghwa there?"

"Oppa is in his room right now."

"Okay, just tell him to come downstairs to the garage please."

"Okay appa.

Hanging up Yunho gathered his things and waited outside of the car. Seeing Yonghwa come out of the elevator, he waved his son over. 

"Oh abeoji, what's up?"

"Your sister is sleeping in the car. I didn't want to wake her. Grab my things and I'll just carry her in."

“Abeoji,” Yonghwa stopped his dad. “I’ll carry her.” 

"Okay, thanks."

Yonghwa picked up his sister bridal style in his arms and together with their dad, walked into the elevator. Following Yunho into the lighted hallway of their apartment, Yonghwa saw the tearstains on Sooyeon's face. 

“Appa!” Jumping up from her place on the living room couch, Soojung ran over to greet Yunho. Peering past him, she saw her brother carrying their sister in. "What happened to unnie?" 

"She's sleeping. She's just tired from the appointment."

Carrying Sooyeon into the bedroom, Yonghwa waited for Soojung to pull down the blankets. Yonghwa covered her up with the comforter. Soojung climbed onto the bed laying next to her sister, hugging her - gently so she won’t wake. Yonghwa sat down on the floor leaning against the bed and held Sooyeon’s outstretched hand. Placing his head on the bed, he gently patted her hand as to reassure her that he was there. Here in the girls’ room Yunho found his three children holding tightly onto each other.