Prologue

Flutterby

A thick blanket of fresh white snow plastered the green lush grass. A narrow, snow-covered, winding pathway led into the heart of a dark, menacing covert. A loud roar of thunder shook the Earth; more precipitation began pelting the planet below it, threatening to coat the landscape with another layer of the soft white substance.

A shrill sound rang out from deep within the thicket. A low, ominous growl closely followed it. The source of those sounds? The first was the piercing scream of a terrified girl; the latter was the snarl of the wolf who was about to devour it.

Frantically turning to run, the girl cried for help a second time, but to no avail. With a stomach-churning roar, the feral beast leapt onto the back of the child in front of it, pushing her fiercely to the ground. 

That’s when the miracle happened.

From somewhere within the forest, another raging creature appeared, howling and charging at the other, thereby knocking it off the child’s now lifeless body. The battle between the two wolves ended just as suddenly as it began, with the one who had attacked the girl fleeing the scene when the other had bested it in the art of combat.

The girl lay still, unmoving, in the bed of snow. The remaining wolf sat beside her, inhaling the scent of her hair, his head nuzzling hers.