Chapter 9

Incomplete

 

 “I think Jinhyuk is back,” said Leeteuk softly as he hung up his phone.

 

He and Kangin were laying in bed together. Kangin was reading a book as Leeteuk had been talking with Seong Mi. After the abrupt end to the conversation, Leeteuk sat up in bed and hugged his knees.

 

Kangin raised an eyebrow, “Oh, really? What did Seong Mi say?”

 

“Nothing,” said Leeteuk with a soft frown as he looked at Kangin over his shoulder. “She just said his name and then she told me she would have to call me back. There was this loud bang on the wall and she sounded a little scared.”

 

“Do you think something bad happened?” asked Kangin, now a little more concerned as he sat his book down.

 

Leeteuk sighed, rubbing his face. “I don’t know. She never mentioned Jinhyuk being violent before, so I assume she was just surprised that he was there. But even still, with her, it can be hard to tell.”

 

“Well, maybe you should just send her a text. If she doesn’t respond in a few minutes, call. And if she doesn’t respond to the call, we’ll go over there, okay?”

 

Leeteuk nodded, taking his phone in his hands again to message her. After it was sent, he put his phone away with a sigh and looked back at Kangin.

 

He was met with a smile, that in turn made him feel relief from the anxiety he was feeling.

 

Kangin patted the space beside him and Leeteuk scooted back to meet him. He lay his head on Kangin’s chest, snuggling close so that he could fit in the space that seemed to made especially for him. Once comfortable, he closed his eyes as Kangin ran his fingers up and down his arm.

 

“I wonder how he’ll react,” he mused after awhile, breaking their comfortable silence.

 

“Well, there’s not really much for him to say at this point, is there?” asked Kangin with a soft chuckle.

 

“Aish, be serious!” said Leeteuk with a smile as he touched Kangin’s chest.

 

“I don’t know Teuk,” he sighed, “I’m sure he’s not completely overjoyed. I mean he is still a kid.”

 

“But he could be, in some way,” said Leeteuk. “I mean, this is their first child and part of me really thinks that Seong Mi-ah has deep feelings for him. I know the timing is off for them, but imagine if this was five years from now, they’d be overjoyed. So who’s to say he wouldn’t be now?”
 

“Of course they would. I mean, look at us. You and I have both always wanted kids, even back when we were their age. But if we had become parents at 19, I can say that I would feel a lot differently about this than I do now.”

 

“I suppose you’re right. I just think it’s a lot of trauma for a person to experience in one day. I hope he takes it well—oh! That’s Seong Mi-ah. She says she’s fine and that Jinhyuk is with her now. He’s being really supportive and kind. That’s great, I’m glad to hear,” smiled Leeteuk.

 

“But what does that mean, supportive?” asked Kangin. “Supportive of her being pregnant or giving the baby up for adoption?”

 

“Both I guess,” shrugged Leeteuk when his phone suddenly buzzed again.

 

“What’s she saying now?” asked Kangin squinting his eyes to try and read the message.

 

“She wants us to meet him tomorrow, if possible, at our regular coffee shop,” said Leeteuk, smiling at the sentiment, and then he glanced at Kangin.

 

“So I guess that means she’s told him about us,” said Kangin.

 

“We’ll see, hopefully he’ll take the news well or that’ll just be another hurdle for us to overcome,” said Leeteuk. “I told her we’ll meet her after you get off of work?”

 

Kangin nodded and then Leeteuk put his phone on the nightstand.

 

“I love this feeling,” he said with a smile as he resumed his position, snuggled closely to Kangin’s warm body.

 

“What feeling is that?” asked Kangin wrapping his arm around Leeteuk’s smaller body to bring him even closer.

 

“The feeling of relief. Knowing that soon everything that we’ve worked so hard for will finally come through. We’re gonna have a son Kangin-ah…our own baby boy…it almost feels like a dream.”

 

Kangin was going to remind Leeteuk to stay grounded, just like all of the other times, but he decided against it. Instead he kissed Leeteuk’s head. Leeteuk smiled as he tilted his head back, silently asking Kangin for a full kiss on the lips.

 

“I think you’re right Teuk. I think this time you’re really right.”

 

 

                                                            ~~~

 

That Friday at about six thirty PM, Kangin and Leeteuk walked into the café, side by side. Seeing Seong Mi at her usual table, they waved and she returned it with a happy grin.

 

Jinhyuk looked up from his seat beside her, slightly shocked to see the two men approach.

 

“Uh, h-hello,” he said looking between them and Seong Mi, not sure how to address them.

 

Sensing his distress, Seong Mi quickly introduced them.

 

“This is Leeteuk-ssi and Kangin-ssi,” she said gesturing towards them. “And this is Kang Jinhyuk.”

 

Jinhyuk slightly bowed and Leeteuk and Kangin nodded before sitting down at the table.

 

It was quiet for a few moments as awkward glances were shared.

 

Jinhyuk moved to speak, but suddenly stopped, rethinking his initial thoughts.

 

“Oppa, what is it? Go ahead,” said Seong Mi with a soft smile.

 

“I’m sorry, it’s just…which one of you is adopting our son? Is your wife coming later?” he asked looking at both of them and then Seong Mi for clarification.

 

Kangin and Leeteuk looked at each other and then frowned in confusion.

 

“Wife?” asked Leeteuk shaking his head.

 

“Seong Mi-ah, you didn’t tell him? Asked Kangin as everyone looked at Seong Mi to straighten out the confusion.

 

Seong Mi looked at all of them slightly embarrassed, “Well, I told you that I had a family planned for the baby Oppa, I thought it would be obvious when they arrived.”

 

Leeteuk shifted a little uncomfortably. He had assumed Seong Mi had explained the entire situation to Jinhyuk last night, which would have given him time to accept the situation. If Jinhyuk didn’t agree with the two of them adopting the baby, there was a good chance everything could end here and now.

 

“They’re really good people Oppa, so I didn’t think it mattered. Please don’t be upset with me,” said Seong Mi as she now realized the same thing as Leeteuk.

 

Jinhyuk looked at all of them, seeing the worry on their faces until he broke out with a soft grin.

 

“I don’t mind at all. I just didn’t want to assume that you were a couple and offend you. I saw a lot of gay couples when I studied in the States. Some of them were even parents. They looked like really happy families, I’m sure yours will be too,” he said with a nod.

 

Leeteuk visibly exhaled and then smiled.

 

“I’m so happy to hear you say that. You have no idea how much rejection we’ve faced with trying to adopt a child. I thought maybe it was happening all over again,” he said as Kangin took his hand.

 

Now that they knew they were accepted, they didn’t feel so uncomfortable displaying a little skin-ship.

 

“Well, Jinhyuk-ssi, Seong Mi-ah has already told us some about you, but do you mind telling us a little more?” asked Kangin.

 

“Uh, well, sure,” said Jinhyuk a little surprised. “I’m a pre-med student at Hanyang, and I just got back from studying abroad, as you already heard.”

 

‘What kind of doctor would you like to be?” asked Leeteuk.

 

“A pediatrician,” said Jinhyuk with a soft smile as he glanced at Seong Mi, taking her hand.

 

“That sounds wonderful,” said Kangin. “Are you originally from Seoul?”

 

Jinhyuk nodded, “My entire family lives here.”

 

“Do you have any siblings?” asked Leeteuk.

 

“Two younger brothers,” he said. “They're twins. They just started high school this year.”

 

“What about your parents? What do they do?” asked Kangin.

 

“My father is Kang Young Ju—

 

“The fashion designer?!” asked Leeteuk perking up.

 

Kangin smiled at Leeteuk’s reaction.

 

“You’ve heard of him?” asked Jinhyuk with a small laugh.

 

“I love him! The way he mixes the new and the traditional—not to mention his suits, they're wonderful!” said Leeteuk with a smile.

 

“I’ll have to introduce you some time,” said Jinhyuk.

 

“You would make his life, more than you already have by giving us a chance to start our family,” said Kangin as he and Leeteuk shared a smile.

 

Jinhyuk looked down, a little disheartened.

 

“Oppa?” asked Seong Mi softly.

 

Jinhyuk shook his head with and looked back up, trying his hardest to remain upbeat.

 

“And your mother?” asked Leeteuk trying to lighten the mood again.

 

“Her name is Shin Yeseo. She’s a doctor, but she’s currently in Uganda. She works with Doctors without Borders,” he said smiling again, clearly proud of his mother.

 

Kangin and Leeteuk’s eyes grew. They were in shock at type of family that Jinhyuk came from. But it was a pleasant surprise and they were curious to get to know him even more.

 

Seong Mi was happy to see that the three men were getting along as well as they were. But she could tell that something was still bothering Jinhyuk, no matter how well he tried to hide it.

 

An hour went by and as their conversation grew from something awkward and forced to something more natural and fluid, Leeteuk and Kangin thought it would be a good time to bring up the adoption papers.

 

“So, this morning we were actually able to speak with our new social worker,” said Leeteuk looking at the both of them. “She drew up the papers already, and we brought them with us, so that you all could sign them. She said the faster we could get things processed, the better.”

 

Seong Mi nodded as Kangin passed her the file.

 

“She’s highlighted all of the lines the two of you would need to sign. Seong Mi-ah your place would be in yellow, and Jinhyuk-ah in orange,” he said pointing it out.

 

“W-wait!” said Jinhyuk stopping Seong Mi before she began to sign her name.

 

“What Oppa?” she asked as they all looked at Jinhyuk with confused expressions.

 

“I just…we haven’t really talked about this yet. I mean, I feel like this decision was made for me, and I’m still not a hundred percent comfortable with it,” said Jinhyuk looking at Seong Mi.

 

“Oppa, we talked about this…we don’t have a choice,” said Seong Mi, glancing at Leeteuk and Kangin.

 

“You understand that the minute you sign your name to this, that’s it. He’s never ours again. You can live with that?” asked Jinhyuk, his eyes turning sad.

 

“Oppa, please don’t do this to me again. I’ve told you how I feel about this,” mumbled Seong Mi.

 

“And I’ve told you how I feel about it. Doesn’t that count for anything?” asked Jinhyuk.

 

Leeteuk cleared his throat.

 

“It seems like the two of you still need time to consider your decision then?”

 

“No! No,” said Seong Mi shaking her head as she looked at Leeteuk and Kangin with panicked eyes. “Oppa what are you saying? Listen, I understand that you feel cheated out of making this decision with me, and I’m sorry, but you have to understand that when it comes down to it, it’s my body so I should have the last say.”

 

“We just never even got a chance,” he said softly. “He’ll be born and then that’s it. We’ll never get to hold him and feel like he’s ours, not even for one second.”

 

Seong Mi sighed, “I’m so sorry that you’re against my decision, I know that eventually you’ll see that this is the right decision for both of us.”

 

“Jinhyuk-ah,” said Leeteuk softly as Kangin put his hand on Leeteuk’s shoulder.

 

Jinhyuk looked up at Leeteuk.

 

“Giving things up, especially things you don’t want to be without is difficult, I know it is. Both Kangin and I have spent our entire lives sacrificing parts of ourselves for our futures. So we understand what this means to you. But I need you to understand what adopting your baby would mean for us. We have wanted to start our family together for so long. And it’s proven to be almost impossible for us. But when we met Seong Mi-ah, she was like this little ray of hope for us. I never planned for us to take your child and never speak to you again.  Kangin and I disagreed on that in the beginning, but now we agree that it would only be fair to keep you updated on his life with us. I know it’s a small consolation now, and it’s probably not going to help make this any easier for you, but please just understand the priceless gift you’d be giving to us. We would be forever grateful.”

 

Jinhyuk sighed as he sat back in his chair, quiet for a few moments.

 

“Would he know about us?” he asked finally, looking at the two of them.

 

Kangin and Leeteuk looked at one another and then leaned forward.

 

 

“Sure,” said Kangin. “We wouldn’t hide the fact that he was adopted. We would want him to understand where he came from when he was old enough to comprehend. But he would always know that we are his parents and he would call both of us his appas.”

 

Jinhyuk swallowed as he looked down in his lap.

 

“Oppa please,” said Seong Mi gently as she took his hand in hers.

 

He looked up into Leeteuk’s eyes, seeing the genuine hope that lay in them. In truth, he realized that although he and Seong Mi had made this child together, his real parents are the ones sitting across from him. There was really no way he could deny them their family.

 

He reached over Seong Mi’s body and grabbed the pen in her free hand before signing his name on the first sheet of the set of papers.

 

Leeteuk’s face broke into a grin as Kangin wrapped his arm around his shoulders.

 

“Thank you Seong Mi-ah, Jinhyuk-ah. Really thank you,” he said dabbing at his eyes in a poor effort to stop the tears that had suddenly appeared.

 

Seong Mi leaned over and kissed Jinhyuk’s cheek before taking the pen from his hand and signing beside her printed name, right next to his.