Chapter 3

Incomplete

 

“So what’s your name?” asked Leeteuk after a few moments of silence hung in the air.

 

“Seong Mi,” she said softly, her eyes focusing on the mug in front of her.

 

“Seong Mi. That’s a really beautiful name. Are you from Seoul, Seong Mi?”

 

She nodded.

 

Leeteuk his lips.

 

“Am I…making you uncomfortable? I know it must seem really strange of me to have approached you like this. I’ll just go back to my table and leave you alone, I’m sorry,” he said slightly rising from the chair.

 

Realizing that he was seriously going to walk away, she quickly looked up.

 

“You don’t—have—to—leave!” she nerviously spit out.

 

Leeteuk smiled at her awkwardness.

 

She slowly brought her eyes up to meet his for the first time that night. When she saw that they weren’t full of judgment, at least not yet, she relaxed a little.

 

“…Leeteuk? Why do people call you that? It’ means…you're special, right?” she asked shaking her head.

 

Leeteuk grinned as he looked down. She must have been too young to recognize who he was.

 

“Yeah it does. It’s a nickname that just stuck from a really long time ago.”

 

She nodded, biting her lip.

 

“So, Seong Mi, do you live in this neighborhood?” he asked looking back over at her.

 

“No, I live in a dorm…at Hanyang University.”

 

“Oh, what are you studying to be?”

 

“A pharmacist.”

 

“Wow, you must be really smart then. That’s one of the best schools in the country, right?”

 

Again she nodded.

 

“Are you married? Do you have a boyfriend?” asked Leeteuk.

 

“N-no, no,” she said shaking her head quickly.

 

Leeteuk smiled as he saw her getting more anxious at this question.

 

“I know what you're probably thinking,” she said after a while, looking down again.

 

“And what’s that?” he asked tilting his head in curiosity.

 

“I’m a single girl that’s pregnant…what else could you be thinking besides how filthy and loose I must be?”

 

“I wasn’t thinking  that at all,” said Leeteuk shaking his head.

 

The girl huffed as she sat back, her belly becoming more apparent, “Well then you’d be the first.”
 

“Like I said, I came over because I just thought you could use a friendly face. I saw how that boy treated you and I saw how you took it. It seems like you’ve been having a hard day, so I figured the least someone could do for you is to buy you a hot chocolate and be a listening ear.”

 

When he finished speaking he saw her body relax a little and then finally she sat up again.

 

“You really want to sit and just listen to all of my problems?” she asked, still confused.

 

“If that’s what you want, sure. But we could talk about anything really?”

 

She was quiet for a few more moments, gathering her thoughts, as Leeteuk waited patiently.

 

“I didn’t plan for this to happen,” she finally said.

 

“Getting pregnant? So it was an accident then?”

 

She nodded. “I…I’m a freshman at Hanyang, and I joined this club for girls in my major. The sunbaes  made us drink one night, a lot. Way more than I ever have in my entire life, but I couldn’t say no. It was really important to me that they respect me, so I kept drinking, even more than the other girls. After we left the bar we were in, we walked back to our dormitory. But they wouldn’t let us go to bed. They said we had to sneak over to the boy’s dormitory and knock on someone’s first floor window, and get them to let us inside. Apparently only a few boys were home, including the one who’s window I knocked on. When he opened the window, I threw up inside his room. I started crying because I felt so bad, so he let me come in so that I could get clean. It wasn’t until I was inside that I realized who he was. This boy from one of my classes, Jinhyuk. He’s very popular, but very quiet. All of the girls love him because he’s so handsome but he’s very serious about becoming a doctor, so he always stays in his room or the library to study. Well, while I was there, he helped get me clean and let me stay in his bed…none of this would have ever happened if I wasn’t drinking, I’m usually always so scared to talk to any boy, but for some reason that night, I was so strong willed. And well…now I’m pregnant.”

 

Leeteuk stared, somewhat taken aback. He wasn’t prepared for her to unleash such a  heavy story on him, but now he could understand why she was so uncomfortable with herself.

 

“Uh, well, what has your family said?”

 

“They don’t know.”

 

“How have you hid this for so long without them knowing?”

 

“I guess I didn’t really start showing until three months ago. I stopped going home or letting my parents visit. I told them I was busy with exams or sick.”

 

“How far along are you now?”

 

“Eight months.”

 

“Well, they’ll know soon enough I guess,” said Leeteuk softly.

 

She violently shook her head no.

 

“If my parents ever found out about this, they would be devastated. I could never do that to them. They can never find out.”
 

“Well what happens after you have your child? You can’t hide a baby forever,” reasoned Leeteuk with a small smile.

 

“I plan to give it up for adoption,” she said softly.

 

Leeteuk’s breath got caught in his throat and he started coughing.

 

“Are you all right?” she asked looking at him, concerned.

 

“Yes, I’m fine. Uh, adoption? Are you sure that’s something you're prepared for? It’s a very emotional process for everyone involved.”

 

“I have no other choice. I wish…I wish I could keep him but—

 

“It’s a boy?” asked Leeteuk, his voice soft.

 

She nodded. “And I know that because his father is Jinhyuk, he’ll probably be very handsome and smart. But I can’t. There’s no way I could continue on with my life.”

 

“How does…Jinhyuk feel about your decision?”

 

“He doesn’t know,” she said softly.

 

“I know it’s not my place but I really think you should tell him,” said Leeteuk. “And since you don’t plan to keep your child, you really don’t have anything to loose, right?”

 

“I can’t.”

 

“He seemed kind enough when he let you into his room that night, do you think he would—

 

“No I mean, I really can’t. He’s not here.”

 

“On campus? In Seoul?”

 

“In Korea. He’s been studying abroad in the states for the semester.”

 

“Oh, wow. When will he be back?”

 

“In two weeks I think. But I’m sure he already knows.”

 

“Why do you think that?”

 

“Everyone on campus knows. My roommate was one of the first people to know. She moved out and told everyone we knew. I’ve basically become a ghost at school. No one talks to me, or even really looks at me. Those who do never have anything kind to say. …it’s been so hard, going to classes or meals and having everyone thinking these awful things about you. I hate it…that’s why I can’t wait to be through with all of this in just a few weeks.”

 

“Do you already have a family lined up for your baby?” he asked casually.

 

“No, I planned to just let the hospital deal with it. I don’t really have time to sit and interview couples. I don’t even really know how it works. What am I supposed to be looking for?”

 

“Some one who can take care of your child financially and give them plenty of love and support.”

 

“Well maybe it’s best if I don’t take part in it. I feel I would always be wondering what they were doing, how they were getting along, if I had already met them,” she said shaking her head.

 

Leeteuk felt himself growing anxious at hearing how uncommitted she was to finding her child a safe and loving home.

 

“You haven’t really told me anything about yourself, you know, other than your name,” said looking over at him.

 

“What would you like to know?” he asked with a small smile as he cleared his mind of his thoughts.

 

“Are you married?”

 

“Yes,” he said simply.

 

“Do you have any children?”

 

“No, not yet.”

 

“Do you want to have children?”

 

Leeteuk tried not to laugh at the irony in the question.

 

“Yes, I would love to be a father one day, more than anything.”

 

“Does your wife not want to have children then or…can you not…have children—I’m sorry that’s way too personal—

 

“It’s okay, you’ve told me so much about your life, it’s only right if I do the same. Actually I’m—

 

“Teuk-ah, I think it’s time that you stop bothering this poor girl,” said Kangin as he approached the table.

 

“We’re just having a conversation Kangin-ah,” said Leeteuk with a shrug.

 

“But it’s getting late, I think maybe we should head out, as I’m sure she needs to get back home as well,” said Kangin motioning towards her.

 

Leeteuk sighed, “Fine, just give me a minute to say goodbye?”

 

“I’ll go and get the car,” said Kangin and he gave a small smile to the girl before leaving.

 

When he left, Leeteuk noticed a soft flush that overcame Seong Mi’s face.

 

“Are you alright?” he asked with a chuckle. “I’m sorry, he can be a little abrasive at times—

 

“Who was he?” she asked her eyes getting bigger.

 

Leeteuk paused, suddenly understanding why she was having this reaction.

 

“He’s uh, my dongsaeng. We just had dinner together and stepped in for a coffee,” said Leeteuk.

 

“He’s very handsome,” she said with a small giggle, blushing even more.

 

Leeteuk smiled nervously. “Yes, most people think so.”

 

It was quiet for a few moments until Seong Mi spoke up again.

 

“Well, thank you Leeteuk-ssi for my hot chocolate and listening to me,” she said once she had resumed her composure.

 

“It’s no problem at all Seong Mi-ah. Listen, I’ll give you my number, if you ever need to talk about anything, or need help with something. Please, don’t hesitate to call. I don’t mind,” said Leeteuk motioning towards her phone.

 

“O-okay,” she said with a smile as she handed it to him.

 

After he entered his number he returned the phone.

 

“Please take care,” he said noticing Kangin pulling up with the car. “And please, stay in touch. Have a good night.”

 

She nodded as she watched him leave the table and then exit the café, getting into the car waiting out front.

 

“I seriously can not believe you!” said Kangin shaking his head with a laugh.

 

“What?” asked Leeteuk innocently as he put on his seat belt.

 

“What? What?! Yes, exactly what? What did the two of you talk about?”

 

“She told me her story,” said Leeteuk casually.

 

And?”

 

“And I think…I might have found us our son,” said Leeteuk softly as he looked over at Kangin, who let out a long sigh as he put both his hands to his head.