Chapter 4

Incomplete

 

A week came and went and Seong Mi hadn’t called Leeteuk.

 

Checking his phone had gone from a casual habit to almost a tick in those few short days. He had been overly confident that Seong Mi would call him and he was kicking himself for not having taken her number as well.

 

“Well what would you have done? Called her and said what ‘Please give your son to me and my husband’?” chuckled Kangin one night as they were settling into bed.

 

“I don’t know,” mumbled Leeteuk laying on his side to face Kangin. “I just feel weird now not knowing what she’s doing, if she’s okay. She seemed so naïve, it makes me nervous the thought of her out there alone with no one to look after her.”

 

“She’s probably 19 years old Teuk, I think she’ll remember how to take care of herself. And she’s made it eight months into her pregnancy without your guidance, I’m sure she’ll be fine,” said Kangin closing his eyes.

 

Leeteuk sighed, as he watched Kangin begin to fall asleep. Kangin hadn’t really entertained the idea of Seong Mi’s child ever becoming theirs. He felt the likelihood that a young mother would give her child up to two men she barely knew was slim, so he had urged Leeteuk to just let it go.

 

His chest felt heavy as he slowly realized that maybe Kangin was right. Maybe once again this would be another child in need that would slip by them. The fact that Seong Mi didn’t currently seem to care where her child ended up also somewhat infuriated him. He respected her reasons for not keeping her son, but he felt she should at least see that he goes to a deserving couple.

 

Snuggling close to Kangin’s warm body, he tried to let his sadness subside as he breathed in his lover’s familiar scent.

 

                                                            ~~~

 

“Hello?” mumbled Leeteuk rubbing his tired eyes.

 

“Leeteuk,” he heard a small voice.

 

“Who is this?” asked Leeteuk not recognizing the voice.

 

“Seong Mi. You met me in the coffee shop last week. You said that I could call you if I ever needed help—uugghhaaa!” she groaned, unable to finish her thought.

 

“Are you all right? What happened?” asked Leeteuk sitting up.

 

“I’m having stomach cramps, but I don’t know why. This has never happened before,” she said panting.

 

“Where are you right now?” asked Leeteuk looking over at the clock. “At your dorm?”

 

“Yes, uuugghhhaa! Please help me, I’m really scared and I don’t know who else would help!” she cried.

 

“Okay, I’m coming, don’t worry. How can I find you?”

 

“I live in the Techno House building on the third floor,” she panted.

 

“Okay, I’ll be there soon,” said Leeteuk. “Just hold on.”

 

When he hung up with Seong Mi Leeteuk immediately turned to Kangin who had remained sleeping through the entire conversation.

 

“Kangin! Kangin wake up!” said Leeteuk shaking his shoulder.

 

“Mmmm, what it is it Teukkie?” he mumbled Kangin, fighting to stay asleep.

 

“Seong Mi, she called me, she needs our help,” said Leeteuk pulling the blanket off of them.

 

Kangin blindly reached for the covers, frowning when he realized that Leeteuk had pulled them out of his reach.

 

“What are you doing?!” he whined as he rolled over to look at Leeteuk through squinted eyes.

 

“We have to go now, she’s in pain! Something could be wrong with the baby!” said Leeteuk as he got out of bed to start getting dressed.

 

“Why do I have to go?” asked Kangin not understanding. “Isn’t there someone related to her that can help?”

 

“Kangin listen to me. This poor girl is alone right now. She’s scared and in pain. She called me looking for help. I need you to be there with me. So please just get dressed!” begged Leeteuk as he stood there clutching his shirt.

 

Kangin sighed as he threw his head back on his pillow. He didn’t understand why this was so important to Leeteuk when the girl had never even mentioned letting them adopt her son, but he knew better than to argue this point at such a time.

 

“Okay, fine, I’ll go with you,” he said sitting up and proceeding to get dressed.

 

                                                            ~~~

 

“I think it’s this one,” said Leeteuk softly as they drove up in front of a dormitory.

 

He looked out of the window on the passenger’s side and saw the name more clearly now.

 

“Do you need me to wait here?” asked Kangin putting the car in park.

 

“Maybe it’s better if you come. I don’t know what state she’s in now,” said Leeteuk taking off his seatbelt.

 

Kangin nodded and they walked inside the first floor of the building.

 

“Excuse me? How may I help you?” asked a man sitting at the front desk.

 

“Yes, we need to know what room uh…oh my G-d,” said Leeteuk clutching his mouth.

 

“What?” asked Kangin looking at him with a frown.

 

“I don’t know her family name,” he mumbled.

 

Kangin ran a hand through his hair and turned to the man.

 

“There’s a girl here, named Seong Mi who is apparently very sick. We’ve come to take her to the hospital,” said Kangin putting his hands on the desk.

 

“Are you family members?” asked the man.

 

“No, family friends,” said Kangin casually.

 

“Well visiting hours are over for the evening, so you’ll have to come back at another time—

 

“Did you not hear me? I said that she was ill. It can’t wait for another time,” said Kangin shaking his head.

 

“Well then, we will call for an ambulance to come and take her,” said the man.

 

“No, there’s no time for that. We’re here now, just let us take her ourselves,” said starting to get a little agitated.

 

“That’s against protocol—

 

“Protocol?” asked Kangin raising his voice a little louder.

 

“Please,” said Leeteuk stepping forward with his phone in his hand. “Just listen to her.”

 

She was on speakerphone and then man could hear her groaning in pain.

 

“Fine,” he said pursing his lips. “But please don’t disturb the other students.”

 

“Thank you,” said Leeteuk grabbing Kangin’s arm and pulling him towards the elevators.

 

When they reached the third floor, they saw lights on and a group of girls standing at the end of the hall, leaning close to one door to try and hear what was going on inside.

 

“That must be her room at the end there,” said Leeteuk pointing towards the small group of girls. “I can hear her from here.”

 

Kangin nodded and then they made their way through the small crowd.

 

“Excuse me ladies,” he said as they moved to step in front of the door.

 

“Seong Mi-ah?” called Leeteuk knocking on her door. “It’s me, Leeteuk. “

 

Seong Mi turned her head in the direction of the door.

 

“Leeteuk-ssi,” she said weakly.

 

“Yes, I’m here. Can I come in?” asked Leeteuk gently.

 

“Yes—uuggghhhhaa!” she cried out.

 

Kangin quickly turned the handle on the door and he and Leeteuk rushed in.

 

Seong Mi was laying on her bed in the fetal position cradling a pillow against her stomach. Sweat had made her hair stick to her face and her cheeks we flushed bright red.

 

“Oh my G-d!” said Leeteuk as he walked over to her. “Kangin we have to get her to the hospital now!”

 

Kangin hesitated for a second before he scooped Seong Mi up in his arms.

 

She gasped when she realized that he was holding her so close.

 

“Are you okay?” he asked as her face seemed to grow more red.

 

She quickly nodded and buried her face into his neck as she held on to him tightly.

 

                                                            ~~~

 

“What do you mean you don’t know what caused this?” asked Kangin slowly as he shook his head.

 

“All of her tests; blood, urine, EKG, came back normal. It’s hard for us to say what caused her these cramps when there is nothing odd on her results. She hasn’t gone into labor, she isn’t dilated.  I’m not sure what else to tell you Mr. …

 

“Kim,” said Kangin flatly.

 

“Oh, are you family of Seong Mi-ssi?” asked the doctor.

 

“No, I was the one who brought her in,” said Kangin shaking his head.

 

“So you're not her father then?”

 

“Father? Do I look old enough to have an 19 year old?” asked Kangin frowning.

 

“If you're not blood related, then I can’t discuss her diagnosis with you any further Mr. Kim,” said the doctor and he walked away.

 

Kangin exhaled deeply as he walked back over to Seong Mi’s bed.

 

“What did the doctor say?” asked Leeteuk perking up.

 

“Nothing. No one wants to tell us anything because we aren’t her parents,” sighed Kangin rubbing his face as he took a seat next to Leeteuk.

 

“Well the important thing is that now we’ve got her to the hospital and everything is okay,” said Leeteuk rubbing his shoulder.

 

Kangin nodded and then looked over at Seong Mi.

 

“How do you feel?” he asked, a little shocked when he realized she had been watching him.

 

Her eyes grew when realized he was talking to her now.

 

“Fine,” she said softly. “The doctor told me that the baby was okay and my cramps have stopped. So I’m okay now.”

 

“Good. You nearly scared us half to death when we came in and saw you like that,” he said with a small smile.

 

Seong Mi smiled back.

 

“I’m sorry. But thank you Oppa for helping me. I don’t know what I would have done if it wasn’t for the both of you,” she said still smiling over at Kangin.

 

Kangin cleared his throat slightly uneasily and glanced at Leeteuk, gently nodding his head towards the waiting room. Leeteuk nodded in understanding.

 

“We’ll be right back Seong Mi-ah, we want to check and see if there are any other tests you’ll need to take,” said Leeteuk patting her hand gently.

 

“Okay,” she said looking between the both of them before closing her eyes.

 

When they walked out into the waiting room Kangin pulled Leeteuk over to a quiet corner.

 

“What’s going on?” asked Leeteuk as looked in Kangin’s eyes.

 

“What are we doing here Teuk?” he asked, slightly exasperated.

 

“Not this again,” muttered Leeteuk softly.

 

“No, but I mean really. Don’t you think this has gone a little too far? We are now making ourselves responsible for the wellbeing of some young girl and her unborn child that you’ve somehow convinced yourself will be our future son. Not to mention, I’m getting a little bit uncomfortable around her,” muttered Kangin.

 

“Uncomfortable?” asked Leeteuk shaking his head.

 

“Have you not noticed the way that she’s been staring at me? She blushes like a tomato every time I just happen to glance at her. And just now, when she called me Oppa!” he said.

 

“Kanginnie, relax. It’s just a little school girl crush,” said Leeteuk with a small chuckle.

 

“She is not a school girl Teuk. She is a pregnant young woman and I don’t like the way she’s giving me these looks. I mean she knows we’re married, why would she even think I’d respond to them?”

 

“Well, the thing is, she doesn’t…know we’re married.”

 

“What?” asked Kangin narrowing his eyes.

 

“I never told her you were my husband,” said Leeteuk softly.

 

“What did you tell her we were to one another then, if we’re not married?”

 

“I told her you were my dongsaeng,” mumbled Leeteuk.

 

“Why would you do that?!” asked Kangin incredulously.

 

“Well it’s not exactly a lie is it?”

 

“So that’s what I am to you? Just a dongsaeng? That’s all? Gee thanks Teuk,” sighed Kangin.

 

“Kangin-ah don’t be upset with me. I did it because I didn’t know what else to say at the time. All I could think about was the first baby boy we wanted to adopt. And when his mother came and saw us. She took one look at the two of us and refused when she found out we would be adopting him as a couple. I hoped that if we could get to know this girl, maybe she would see past the façade and see the fact that we’d be good parents for her son,” said Leeteuk.

 

Kangin sighed as he looked Leeteuk in the eyes.

 

“Teuk I know how much you want this, but we can’t force it,” he said softly.

 

“But we also can’t sit back and do nothing,” mumbled Leeteuk.

 

Kangin pulled Leeteuk in for a hug.

 

“You're right baby,” he said the back of his head. “I just don’t want you to get hurt again. And now that Seong Mi is involved, I don’t want her to get hurt either.”

 

“It’ll all be fine Kanginnie, it has to be,” said Leeteuk as they broke away.

 

When they walked back over to Seong Mi’s bed, she looked at both of them, a look of confusion spreading across her face.

 

“What’s wrong Seong Mi-ah?” asked Leeteuk glancing at Kangin and then back at her.

 

“Are the two of you…famous?” she asked softly.