第三章

Cold Spring

Haruka Rin’s POV

After they went back, suddenly my view is blurring. I felt my head thumping loud and collapsed on the floor. It was so painful until I can’t describe how painful it is. The next thing I know is everything was black but I get my sight back. I saw mom and dad were sitting worriedly on the chair next to me.

“I’m sorry to say but she is having a tumor in the brain.” Unrecognised voice.

“But doctor, can’t we do anything at least? Operation maybe? I can prepare the money as soon as possible.” Dad said.

“I’m sorry. There is nothing to do. She only has about two weeks from now to live. I can’t do anything. Just an advice as a doctor to get your mentality well prepare.” The doctor said and left the room. I’m in a hospital? I….I’m going to die. There is nothing that I can do. I will just have to stop everything I do and take a rest if not it will give me worse headache. Everything was just too painful for me to handle. I wish I have somebody to accompany me here. This pain I hope it will follow the flow of my tears, cry everything out from my small heart.

“Rin-chan? You are awake?” Mom saw I blinked my eyes just now. It was clearly she faked her face expression when I’m looking at mom and dad. She turned around and wiped away her tears. “You will be discharge tomorrow. Then we will have a celebration for coming back to our home!” Dad said happily. It was a fake. Everything is a fake!

“Dad, mom, you don’t have to hide it from me anymore. I already know through the symptom. I’m going to die soon. I just want to make myself happy after this for my last life.” I said.

“Please don’t say that. You know how much I love you, dear.” Mom cried, rubbing the back of my palm.

“No mom. You have to accept it. God must have loved me more. I would prefer to go rather than suffering with this pain. I can’t stand the pain anymore mom, dad. Please I just ask for this one. If you plan to have another baby, please do for me. Replace me for your happiness and cure your sorrow.” I said.

“There is nothing can replace you, my daughter. Although you will have a sister soon, it will be different. We love you so much.” Dad said and kissed my forehead. I have done my job as a good and humble daughter for my parents and now they have to do this one request for me. Just this one. Don’t be sad when I’m no longer in this world anymore.

Mom and dad left me in the ward, they said they have something to do. Haih, my last wish will never come true. At least I can still meet my friend tomorrow and forget all this crap.


During recess I went to principal’s office and told everything that I should do before school ends. “Sir, I’ll will quit from this school starting tomorrow.”

“Why Haruka?”

“I’m sick. Doctor asked me to stop going to school and rest. This will help at least to recover from my illness.” I said.

“Well, then I shall process your curriculum and co-curriculum certificates. I hope you will get well soon. You don’t have to explain anything because I already received a call from your parents” He said. As I left the principal’s office, I saw Shori was standing straight, looking at me with his widened eyes.

“Rin-chan. Why? Why you had never told me anything?” He shook my shoulders.

-at the bench in a flower garden-

“It was difficult to get into this school. I was so happy when my request has been approved but then you are leaving. But why? Do you hate me that much?”

“No Shori. I don’t. I have my own reason why.”

“I quit my school just because of you. I came here because I missed you. I thought if I attend this school, at least I can cure my loneliness although you are not in my sight. I came here to take you back. I don’t want to lose you anymore. Why are you so selfish?!” He screamed and stormed out, leaving me behind.

“What will you do when a person like me sitting here is going to die?!” I said. He stopped at his track.

“You..what?”

“I’m dying. I will die Shori. I only have less than two weeks from now.” I said. Shori turned around and knelt in front of me.

“Don’t.”

“The virus is spreading all over my body. I have brain cancer. It can’t be help anymore.” I said and burst into tears. Shori cried at the top of his lungs, covering his face on my knees.


I walked into the building with Shori at my side. Everyone was watching us walking together and whispering to themselves. I can see Shori’s face was dull after cried out loud. Then I met Marius-kun and Sugawara.

“Rin-chan!!! You are back!! I missed you!” Marius squealed like a kid.

“Yeah. I’m back.” I said. I turned to Shori and he wasn’t looking at us but turned away. His face was showing that he is mad.

“Don’t leave me. We are fated to be together! If you are going, you have to ask my permission first! Understand?” Marius said again. Yeah, Marius. You will never approve it but I will still go forever.

“Sayuri-chan, I leave Rin-chan under your care okay?” Marius-kun said and pushed me to that .

“Okay.” Now just left me and that Sugawara. “I have something to tell you.” I followed her to an empty room.

“What is it?”

“Why don’t you confess to Marius-kun?”

“But why? You are in a relationship with him. I don’t want to in.” I replied.

“But won’t you regret after that?” She asked again.

“I won’t. I don’t want to repeat myself. I don’t want to in into your relationship.” I said again.

“I’m no longer with him anymore. The truth is I just have a crush on him but our heart don’t belong to each other.” Sugawara said. What does she mean by that? I heard everything from Marius-kun that you confessed to him.

“…..? I don’t get it.”

“I don’t know why but I found out Sato-kun is making my day up every time I see him anywhere. His face was lingering in my mind and that moment when I realised I should not hurt Marius-kun and myself anymore. We broke up.”

“What?”

“And I knew you liked Marius-kun before me. I’m sorry for being greedy. I should return him back to you.”

“How did you know? Since when?”

“I saw you were looking at us outside of the window. I was talking to Marius but the kiss was never happen and Sato-kun knew that too.” She is bullting isn’t it? “I know you will not believe it but, it never happened. Marius said that he was confused. In his mind, he kept on thinking of someone else but he never says who is that girl. He said that she is someone special to him that he had made a promise with her not to be more than special friends.” No. I don’t believe her. If she is a then she will be forever a to me.

“Never mind. I had lost hope. I don’t think so to confess to him anymore.” I said but I knew it was a fake statement that I heard from her.

“It is now up to you. I have done my job to let go of Marius. Please don’t waste this precious opportunity before someone else brushes him with her. If that happens then I will never forgive you. Remember that.”

Sugawara left the room. I was speechless. I never knew she would be this serious to me. But I have a feeling about this girl lying. I don’t trust her from early of the stage. She took my Marius-kun and now she returns him back when I no longer will live in this world. What should I do? Should I do what she had told me to or let Marius-kun stay as my friend?


The next day, I never came to school anymore. My parents decided to move out from my current house and lived near to a countryside area. The place is a calming and really relaxing place for a sick person like me. Everyone was eating their normal food but mine was made special from organic ingredients. I somehow missed Marius-kun and Shori but the reason I don’t want to meet them is because of my condition. I lost a lot of my hair and my face looked so pale. My time is really near.

I was watching the I don’t know what is in front of me but the maid said it is a view of sun setting down while sitting on my wheelchair suddenly someone greeted me. “Rin-chan. It’s me.” I was hoping it is Marius-kun but then it was not. I can’t recognise his voice anymore and I don’t know who it is. It has been a long time after I left them without any notice but somehow I don’t know why he knew my house.

“It’s very sad for me to see you like this. I just hope that I can turn back the time and let me be the one who carries all your burden.”

“How did you know I’m here and who are you?” I asked. I can’t see anything. It was black. My face turned to where the voice came from, but I couldn’t see where the owner of the voice was.

“It is me. Sato Shori” he said. I reached out my hands and feel his face. It was the same. I wish I can see what is in front of me now. I heard Shori’s footsteps and pushed my wheelchair as we walked along the street in my garden. Hehehe, I can feel that he is more matured and handsome now.

“Your mom called me yesterday. She said she knew I was your boyfriend so she thought we are still together but she had mistaken about it.” He chuckled.

“So you said you are MY boyfriend?” I emphasized the word ‘my’, mocking him.

“Yep. It feels like those days when your parents asked me so many things about until I don’t know what I should say to impress them. Hahaha” He joked. I pinched his hand making him to moan in pain.

“Ouch! Hey! That hurts, you have to pay my medical bill after this!” he said playfully. We both broke into a big laughter. I feel so great after a long time I didn’t joke with him. Although we are not some kind of sweet couple but we didn’t turn into enemy or anonymous. At least, we are now close friends which Shori had asked before.

“Rin-chan, don’t move.”I heard he said. I can feel the wind from his movements. Suddenly I felt hands cupped around my neck, his movements were exactly and I can recognise these movements. It is definitely Shori. He pulled my face and kissed my forehead. I was stunned at his sudden kiss. “Sorry Rin-chan. I kinda missed you so much.”

“That time when you asked Marius to follow you, what do you guys talk about?” I asked, suddenly the atmosphere became tensed.

“I told him what I should.”

-flashback-

“Marius, why don’t you just make your first move? You will regret if you don’t do it fast, I tell you.” Shori said, his voice sounded serious.

“I’m not confident. I don’t want to ruin my relationship with her.” Marius replied.

“Marius, I know you like her but at some point you have to make your move. Follow whatever your heart says. I don’t want you to cry for your mistakes and regret it for the whole of your life.” Shori said. “Look, Sayuri broke up with you because you were confused. You don’t like her but just crushed on her. The person you liked the most was Rin-chan and I knew that very well. Just confess if she rejects we will take is as positive things. At least let everything that is stuck in your heart out. You will feel relieved after that. Trust me.”

“I just don’t know. Thank you for helping me Shori but I need time to think about this.”

“I have done my job. But don’t let me regret for letting go of Rin-chan. I will slitter you if you push this golden chance.” Shori replied, leaving Marius who had his face confused to choose which one is better.

-end of the flashback-

“How are Marius-kun and Sugawara?” I asked.

“They are fine but just only Marius, he became so skinny because he was searching for you. He lost your contact and didn’t eat for so many days. He regretted for not spending time with you more when he was with Sayuri. But I don’t tell him anything since I just knew that you were here and it was not far from my house.”

“Please don’t tell him. I don’t want him to see me like this.” I said. I was wearing my beanie and a sweater. I kinda feel awkward when Shori look at me like this.

“I have a favor from you.”

“What is it?” I asked but he didn’t answer me. He locked the wheelchair and was doing something.

“What are you doing?” I asked.

“I’m setting a video camera here.”

“No! Please don’t!” I ordered but he didn’t listen at all.

“Set! Say anything to Marius before anything happen to you. You said you don’t want him to see you like this but a short message wouldn’t be a problem right? Okay, on a count of one, two and three!” he said.


Marius Yo’s POV

Mom and dad had been complaining about my weight. They scolded me for going on a diet when I was not. I don’t have appetite to eat. Everything I saw in front of me was something that I… I don’t know how to say but I just don’t want to eat them. I didn’t know anything about Rin-chan, when suddenly she went missing. I asked so many people including her neighbours but nobody knows where she goes. I felt like having a mental breakdown for a week, searching for her here and there.

I missed her so much but I don’t have her contacts. She changed everything, her number, her email address were never reply. Suddenly, my phone buzzed in my back pocket. I fished it out and glanced the caller’s name. It was Shori.

“Hello?”

“Marius, I have something to tell you. Meet me at this place and wear those…” He said. I jot down the address, what I should wear and what time. The thing is why do I have to wear black clothes?

I ran to my room and get ready before the clock struck at 2 in the afternoon. I’m ready and the driver pressed the paddle as my car speed along the street. I looked for the address that Shori gave and met this one building. I stepped inside and saw everyone was wearing black, crying. There were so many flowers stands in front of a room. A few minutes after I stroll around then I met Shori and Sayuri-chan.

Sayuri-chan’s eyes were gloom in red and swollen. “Who’s dead?” I asked. “And why am I here?” I added. Shori pointed into the room and he told a middle aged couple about my presence. Suddenly, the mother of I don’t know how hugged me and cried on my shoulder.

“Oh my, I’m so sorry dear. I should have called you earlier. I’m so sorry.” She said in between of her sobs.

“But ma’am, errr.. I don’t want to be rude but who are you? And why I was invited here Shori?” I asked, looking at the middle aged woman and turned to Shori. After everyone who was in the room went out, that woman’s husband let me in alone.

“Shori, accompany me.” I said. Shori followed me into the room and took a glance at the picture framed in the middle of the flowers. “Shori….. is that….is that Rin-chan? Tell me that she is not Rin-chan that I knew before.” I asked, turning halfway to Shori while my finger pointed at the framed picture.

Shori didn’t reply my question and turned away. He doesn’t dare to look at the girl in the frame smiling brightly. I went near to the chamber and took a look at a small framed picture and I’m in the picture with Shori, Rin-chan and Sayuri-chan.

“Rin-chan died this morning because of brain cancer. She had a tumor for more than 2 years. She realised she had a tumor when she collapsed in her room and it was already the last stage. The doctors said there was nothing they can do and just pray hoping for miracles.” Shori explained. He went out as I took the small picture of me and her from the chamber. It was really me. Rin-chan…..

I don’t believe this. No! This is not Rin-chan! This is not Rin-chan! This.Is.Not.Haruka.Rin that I used to love and be together with her! NO!

Shori came back with a dark grey box in his hands. He handed it to me and I quickly opened it. There was a diary and a video camera in it. I opened the diary and it was Rin-chan’s handwriting.

    The first time I met him was when I fell on top of him where it was still snowing. I strolled along the dark street and didn’t expect that I had fall for him on the first sight. My love and envies started when Marius-kun dated a girl named Sugawara Sayuri. He was short of ideas how to make his girl likes him more and asked a lot of tips from me. It was painful for a person like me, that likes him, has to give some advice for someone else.

    Months I have been clapping my hands on my own. But then Shori came into my life. I felt sorry for him and hurt him. I didn’t do that on purpose because that time I didn’t know my heart opens when I met Marius-kun. He was the first stranger that treats me drink, medicine and sent me straight to my bedroom. My instinct says he is a good person and I believed it bluntly without any hesitation.

Everything was about me. She likes me. She loved me but I never notice that. The next page was blank and I flipped more. That is the time where I saw two pages of Rin-chan’s handwriting.

    Every hurtful thing happened during cold spring. The most painful that I ever see was when Marius-kun kissed Sugawara. It was a coincidence. I didn’t mean to peek into but just a coincidence. That moment when I felt everything broke into pieces like a glass of wine which contained wine in it, broke into small tiny pieces as if the wine is the dripping blood. After all while, Sugawara had asked me to confess to Marius-kun but I don’t have any courage to do that.

    Marius-kun said to me last time, he will never takes me more than a special friend as he wants to protect our friendship. I was a bit down when he said that. It was like I don’t have any hope to make him like an ordinary person like me. I wrote everything happen in this book so that, if my parents see this, I just want them to know that I had enjoyed my last breath. I would like to thank them for taking care of me. I would like to thank Shori as well for entering my life for the second time and we ended up being a close friend. Your wish has come true, Shori. Sugawara Sayuri, I wanted to say sorry for hating you but I will be happy to see you happy with Marius-kun and taking care of him.

     Finally, I would like to thank Marius-kun for entering my life as well. And the most I thank for is making me happy at my last period. Maybe I’m a coward for not telling you the truth but this book and ink will be my witnesses. I love you so much, Marius-kun.

-Haruka Rin-

I burst into tears for the last sentence. I felt onto my knees and took out the video camera. I played the video where Rin-chan was wearing the beanie I gave her during our registration for high school.

“Err.. What I should I say?” She asked, looking at the person who is standing behind the camera but her eyes position was not at the cameraman.

“Anything.” It was Shori’s voice. So he was there when she breathe her last breath.

“Err, hi Marius-kun. It has been awhile after I went missing. I was not able to go to school anymore and I had to quit school. My life spans only left less than a week now. I have a tumor in my brain. I kept it a secret from all of you because I don’t want you to be worried for a sick person like me. I can’t see anymore, Marius-kun. Sorry, if I’m not looking at you. I hope I can see you for the last time but I don’t think it is a good idea. Hehehe..I’m grateful to be your friend and Shori as well. I wish I can come back again as a healthy girl but it was too late. I hope you forgive me for not letting you know and I know how much you take care of me as a special friend. I watched you every time when you were with Sugawara or anywhere. I can’t stop missing you and always wanted to say the sentence to you. But I’m too coward. I hope you approve my leave, please take care of yourself, and eat well. Oh! I left a picture of the two of us in a box. Hope you keep it well and show to your next generation about our friendship. Hahah. One last thing before I go, I just want to say that…. I love you so much. Bye bye Marius-kun!” the video ends. She looked so pale and she wore the beanie to cover her thin hair.

It was so heartbreaking when I didn’t see her for the last time. “WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL ME YOU WERE WITH HER?!” I shouted at Shori, holding his collar. He pushed my hands and said,

“I told you already last time. Don’t regret if you didn’t confess to her. Now what have you done. The time has flown by and you can’t turn back anymore. So don’t blame me if you are regretting for your mistakes.” Shori replied. He has his points. It was my fault. I never listen to him before and now I regret for it.

Again, tears rolling down to my fair cheeks and suddenly the pages flipped; showing a picture. I took a look and it was the picture that I had a practice with her that night. I turned the picture around and saw a short note.

    This was been taken during the 'cold spring day'. Myself and someone that I really love forever,  Marius-kun. I love you. Rin-chan…

I can’t believe you leave me Rin-chan! I thought you had promised me not to go anywhere without my permission. Why didn’t you tell me you were sick? At least I can be at your side until you breathe the last breath. I cried out loud and hugged the video camera, the diary and the pictures near to my chest.

Everything has end. Even today is the cold spring month where it was very cold and windy. Rin-chan died during cold and windy spring. I regret for everything. I regret for not running after your Rin-chan.

“I love you too Rin-chan.” I on to her picture. She always has her bright smile and I will never forget that. I will follow you and we will meet again in heaven. I will. Wait for me Rin-chan.

-THE END-


YAY ! It has come to the end! Sad to see the ending. Well, please forgive for my simple and some grammar errors. I hope you like it ^-^