第一章

Cold Spring

 

This year will come to its end and my life as a lower secondary school will end soon before I jump to my high school life. The sun shines dimly and a few people were walking with thick clothes covering their small body. Some of them were running along the way and some of them were walking with their pet, dog. I glanced around, admiring the view of raining snow. Both of my hands were stuck in my pocket to make them warm. It was nice to have a walk here. Unfortunately, I’m catching a cold.

HAAACCCHHHHUUUUUMMMMMM!!!!

“Oh God. Not now. I still want to see this beautiful scenery.” I muttered. While I was busy rubbing my nose with plenty of tissues in my hands, suddenly someone hit me right on my face. Now WHAT?! Don’t tell me I hit a road light and hello to Mr. Land.

Oh wait, it was soft beneath me. Something warm and I can feel heartbeat! I looked up and saw a beautiful white and pinkish face just a few inches from me. “Oh my god! I’m so sorry!” I said and quickly stood on my feet, dusting off the snow from my clothes.

“It’s okay. It was my fault after all.” He said. I reached out my hand and pulled him up. He dusted off his clothes and turned to me. Oh my god! Asdfghjkl, he has a beauty! If I’m not mistaken he is a boy and around my age? Oh, I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Haruka Rin and I’m 15 years old. Back to my story, he looks a gorgeous and a beautiful man!

“Are you okay? I’m sorry I hit you just now.” He said. I was quite angry when he hit me hard but, all of sudden, I don’t feel mad. Maybe he was in rush and it was my mistake too for standing in the middle of the way.

“Yes. I’m okay. It’s okay. It was my mistake as well, for standing in the middle of the way.”

“Let me treat you to a drink as an apology.” He said.

“Never mind. It’s okay. You didn’t cause any serious injury.” I replied.

“No, no. I have to. If not I will be going and feeling guilty about my mistakes. Just this once. Please?~” he pleaded and flashed his smile. He does really have a sweet and warm smile.

“Okay, then. But don’t blame me if I drink more than 2 cups.” I warned playfully.

“Hahah, nah. It is a small matter. It will be big if you ask a bungalow from me.” He mocked. The two of us broke into small laughter and headed to the nearest café. It was a pleasure for someone as kind as him to treat me hot drinks in this cold weather. Oh? I haven’t ask your name. I should ask his email address. Maybe some other time we will meet again? Teeheee~

HAAACCCCHHHHIIUUUMMMMMM!!!!

Not again. Haish. I feel like kicking the tables for ruining my moment drinking this hot chocolate. “Are you okay? You are catching a cold!” he panicked.

“Nah, a small matter.” I said, sniffing to my itchy nose.

“No, of course it is not.” He said. “Come, I’ll bring you back before it get worse..” He said before I answered him not to, he placed both of his hands around my shoulders and pulled me up. His hands were still on my shoulders and he watched our movements carefully. I feel……I feel appreciated.

“Ah! There is a heater there. I should make you warm first.” He said and made me sit under the umbrella heater. “Wait for me here, I will come back.” He said and ran somewhere.

Everything happen just a few minutes ago flashed back in my mind as I catch myself smiling towards the moments. I feel so happy, just for today. I feel so blessed. A few minutes later, he came back and puffing to catch his breath. “I bought some medicine and cool pad here.” He said and was still smiling at me. My hands started to shiver, and he saw I was trying to feed myself the hot chocolate. He took his coffee and tried to feed me but I reject.

“No. It’s okay.  I don’t drink coffee.” I said. He remained silent and took out the cooling pad, placing it on my forehead.

“You can’t stay out here for any long. I must send you back now. Where is your house?” he asked. I’m sure he looked panicked as everything was written in his brown eyes. I showed the way to my home and 5 minutes later we arrived at the front gate.

“Thank you for sending me back home. I can walk from here. Thank you again for the coffee and medicines.” I said and the gate behind me opened, showing my maid; waiting for me.

“No. I must see you laid yourself on the bed if not I will feel wrong for making you sick.” He said. Again, forcing me to let him send me straight to my bed. I hesitated at first because he is still a stranger to me but he looked sincere with it.

“I forgot to ask your name. By the way I’m Haruka Rin.” I said while on our way to my room.

“I’m Marius Yo. Are you 15?” He asked.

“Yes. I am. How did you know?” It was a shock when he guessed my age correctly.

“I’m 15 as well.”

“You don’t look Japanese and judging by your name you are a Germany?” I said. He didn’t reply to my question. Oh my god! Did I say something wrong?

“Hehe, yup. I’m mixed Germany-Japanese.” He giggled. HOW CUTE!

He prepared my bed and helped me laid myself on my comfy bed. “Thank you Marius-kun.”

“My job is done. And I’m glad to meet you. Sorry for causing you so much trouble.” He said and bowed, leaving my room. His smile, his scent, everything about him and I will miss him. I wish I can meet him again. Hoping that he is going to the same high school as me.

“Fcuk! I forgot to ask his email address! Curse you Rin!!!!!”

2 weeks after I met Marius, I came to my high school for the registration. I saw my number and have to go to this certain room. I don’t see any of my friends going to the same school with me and, grrr I’m really slow at making new friends. Where are my girls?! Don’t leave me alone in this high! Great. Just great.

I stomped my feet, making my way to the room I was supposed to be. Then, I saw a familiar figure I met before. He was flipping some papers in his hand. At that time, I realised about Marius-kun. “Marius-kun?” I started, patting on his right arm. He looked up and saw me, standing opposite him.

“Haruka? Is that you? Ah-ha! We meet again!! I told you we are in the same age.” He said.

“Yes! I didn’t expect we will meet here! I’m glad to see you again!” I said. Well duh, of course I’m expecting he is going to the same school. And of course, I prayed every day and every night for Marius-kun to attend the same school with me.

“I forgot to exchange my email address with you. Give me your phone.” He said and took the phone from my hand. I wrote mine on his phone and so he did. GOD! MY WISH HAS COME TRUE!!! HEAVEN IS REALLY AT MY SIDE!

“See you again. I need to hurry.” He said and waved at me. “Ja, Haruka-san”

“Oh, just call me Rin.”

“Okay, Rin-chan” he smiled and ran to the room at the end of the hallway. I…I…couldn’t describe my feeling as it was OH MA GAWDDDD!!!


Our school starts during winter and sad to say that I’m not in the same class as Marius-kun. Haih, but at least this is not that disappointing since he is going to the same school and our class just side by side. Hey! Not that I’m not smart but he is a smart . I’m average. Average, yeah. It has been almost a month and my friendship bond with Marius-kun is getting stronger. At one time when some of the girls, misunderstood me as Marius-kun’s girlfriend. I wish it is true but Marius-kun had said to me,

“I don’t know why but I feel so comfortable when having a talk with you. It is not that I’m a lonely person but of all time, I really like to talk to you and always create a reason why. Don’t worry, I will take this as our special friendship. I just don’t want to make you uncomfortable when I’m around you.” He said. He has a point and I do feel comfortable when talking to him. Heheh, but I do really like to get the attentions from the others when Marius-kun is talking to me. Yup, he is getting popular day by day and I feel like protecting him. Hey! Hey! es! He's mine!!

“Rin-chan!!” I recognise this voice! Yes! It is Marius-kun. I turned around and watched him running towards me. His group of friends followed him as well.

“Yes, Marius-kun?” I asked.

“Woooooo, Marius is pretty close with Haruka-san.” His friends mocked. “Yeah, she is pretty too. Or are you guys really going out?!” The other one said.

“If I say yes? What are you going to do? Are you jealous? Hahahahahahah” Marius said, making his friend to shut a thousand words and speechless.

“Ah, Rin-chan. Do you wanna go out and have drinks with me? Like last time.” He asked. And he gave me a bright smile, showing his shining teeth.

“Fine BUT will you treat me?”

“Errrr, I will agree if you say okay for my first question.” He said.

“Okay!”

“Alright, bye guys. I’ll be back for our prep.” He said to his friends and grabbed my wrist. AGAIN! GOD THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Marius-kun treats me drinks and we went to the same café last winter. Until today, I don’t know what is the answer when he is being so kind towards me. I watched him almost all the time after my classes and noticed he doesn’t really talk to girls. I asked my friend from his class, she said the same thing as what I thought. He is gaining popularity in this school because of his beautiful face.

The weather for the next day is still windy and cold. It is near to end of the winter and greetings to the spring. I was walking in the corridor during recess alone when my eyes caught a view of Marius standing in front of a girl. Well, I don’t like to say this but this girl is quite popular among the boys in our school. She gave a box wrapped with red ribbon. Marius-kun looked down at her present and hid it behind him when he saw I was watching him from opposite side of the corridor.

I ran to him and plastered a smile. A FAKE ONE. “Marius-kun! What is that?” I asked pointing at the grey box wrapped with red ribbon.

“Oh, a present from a girl. She confessed to me.” He said and I saw he was embarrassed when I got to know his secret.

“So? How is it? Did you accept………………h-her?” I covered my mouth. Why did I stutter? Please Marius-kun not to say yes. I really want you to be mine.

“Err, yeah. I did because I have a crush on her since early of this month. Rin-chan, what should I do? I feel so embarrassed when she was around me. Help me. How should I make her happy?” Marius-kun asked. He looked so excited when the girl he had a crush on just confess to him and asked to be his girlfriend. I don’t know how to describe this feeling. Either to be happy because Marius-kun is happy or to cry out loud because Marius-kun is already taken?

“Err, let me see. As for me, I like a guy to be romantic. Example, I like to have a date during winter and I would really like to play snow with him. And then, walk together with him under the dim street light while it's snowing. He will treat me hot chocolate and put his jacket around me, protecting me from getting cold. I really like that scene!” I said happily while pointing my index in the air. It was fake. I just like the way you treat me and you know how to do Marius-kun. My heart is shattering into pieces when I help you how to make her happy.

I can’t just accept the fact that I give you tips. I really hate myself. I should have just said put poison in her tea or coffee. That will make myself happy but I don’t want to say that because you will think of me trying to control and jealous because you have a girl. Marius-kun suddenly became quiet and his eye blinked for a few time.

“I see. So, girls do really like romantic things. And plus, they like if boys treat her drinks? Hmm, that will be an easy job for me. Ah! I know what to do Rin-chan. My date with her will be next week on Monday after school. How about I practice how to be romantic toward girls with you? I mean you pretend to be my girl. So that I won’t hurt her if she hates anything. Right? Can you help me Rin-chan?” He asked. Again, he likes to seduce me with his bright and sweet smile along with his puppy eyes.

Why do you have to do this to me Marius-kun? Don’t you know it will hurt my feelings even worse? I want to reject your proposal but I don’t dare to because you have pleaded like this in front of me. I’m just being so kind to you and accept your request by hurting my feelings. “Okay. When is it? This Saturday I will be free.” I said.

“Okay. I’m free as well. So meet you at the park in front of the café we used to go. THANK YOU SO MUCH RIN-CHAN!!” he squealed and hugged me like a teddy bear. Marius ran to his class soon after the bell rang.

“Marius-kun, do you ever take me more than a friend? Or at least some that is special and precious to you like a diamond? I want to be your lady diamond. So that you will not lose the diamond wherever you go.” I muttered to myself. No one. No one had heard me saying this. This was the most painful compared to my first date during middle school. Suddenly, I saw my vision is blurry and I can’t see clearly what is in front of me. My knees dropped on the floor as I grabbed onto the railing. “Oh my! Are you okay there?” I heard a girl's voice. I turned to her as she bent forward to see me. I’m getting my vision back and the image in front of me is clear. “Yes.” This girl. This is the girl that confessed to Marius. I should hate her. DON’T YOU DARE TO TOUCH ME !

I stood on my feet and dust off my clothes. “Thank you but I’m fine.” I said to her coldly.

“Ah, my name is Sugawara Sayuri. You are Haruka Rin right? Marius told me about you a lot. He does really like you.” She said. Shut up . I know he likes me. I didn’t reply her and she reached out her hand.

“Nice to meet you Sugawara-san.” I said and shook hands with her.

“You can call me Sayuri.” She smiled. “Can I call you Rin-chan?” she asked.

“You can call me Rin. Please don’t add chan behind my name.” I said.

“Okay Rin! Hope we can be close friend! And I hope to hear more about Marius-kun from you.” She hugged. I was stumbled a few steps and tried to balance my weight with hers.