002

The Second Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 002

 

I would be lying if I said that I didn’t care about Woohyun. He was sitting beside me, looking extremely miserable, and a scene that I never thought that I would ever see. He didn’t utter a single word ever since we walked to the park. I had to leave Bomi but she told me that she understood that I had to be with Woohyun.

 

My phone suddenly rang, a special ringtone that I set up just for my mother’s call was playing. I took a glance at Woohyun and he was still in the state like a living human corpse. The body was alive but the soul was dead.

 

“Chorong! Do you have any idea where is Woohyun?” There was panic in Mom’s voice. I looked at Woohyun again when I suddenly said, “No. I have no idea where he is.”

 

“It’s hectic here! Can you look for him, darling? We need him back at home now.” I felt guilty started to eat me up as I said, “Sure.” before Mom hang up. Maybe I was getting better as a liar but Mom and Dad would be disappointed to know that their daughter was being a big fat liar.

 

“Are they looking for me?” Those were his first words after a long silence ever since I walked towards him at the street, earlier.

 

I looked at him in the eyes, before nodding. There was a shade of sadness inside his eyes. Of course he would be affected when his fiancée simply left him right in the middle of Seoul. He let out a heavy sigh like he was throwing out a big lump inside his heart. I was waiting for him to talk about it but then he suddenly said, “Go home. I need to go somewhere first. I’ll be back soon.” as he got up and walked away from the park, and from me.

 

*****

 

I found myself in the middle of people who were panicking over a phone call. Hayoung, my younger sister was at the kitchen counter, eating the pancakes that I bought on my way home. She was the only who was calm, happy and quiet.

 

Woohyun’s mother was in extreme panic attack while his father was in deep thoughts, as expected from a professor. Woohyun’s younger cousin, Sungjong got up and sat next to Hayoung, taking a bite of the pancake, not caring about the problem that the family was facing.

 

“Did you buy this at the corner right in front of the library?” Sungjong asked, gaining my attention which once used to be one the family. I nodded as he replied, “The owner’s daughter is really pretty.” which gained a smack at the back of his head from Hayoung. “That’s my friend you freak!” They didn’t care about the problems that were rising at that time. Their focus was on the food.

 

Mrs. Nam was walking back and forth while Mr. Nam was sitting in his favourite chair, deep in thoughts. Hyerin’s family had called way before Woohyun could tell that Hyerin had left him. Mom was panicking alone, like she always did and Dad was calm but there was a worried expression on his face. The attention was on the door once the bell was rang. Everyone was expecting it to Woohyun but it turned out to be a friend of Sungjong who came to give his book back.

 

“What will happen to the wedding now?” Hayoung who done washing the dishes wiped her wet hands on Sungjong’s shirt which gained a high frequency shriek.

 

“I have no idea. I guess it’s up to Woohyun now.” I grabbed a mug on the table and started to pour in the orange juice. As the orange juice coming down from the opening of the carton, I was wishing that Woohyun would be right in front of the door in any minute. Running away wasn’t a problem solver and he wasn’t the type that would run away from problems.

 

Ding Dong

 

Someone rang the bell and the house was in silence. No one moved to open the door nor speak. They were expecting for one person to walk in. It was no other than Woohyun. I looked at Hayoung and Sungjong but they were seemed to be rooted to the ground. Hayoung was playing with her long fingers while Sungjong quickly took out his phone from his pocket. The older were staring at the door but none of them moved.

 

Ding Dong

 

The bell rang again. I looked at the people again but they were like mannequins, breathless as if they were no longer living. I quickly put down my mug and walked towards to door before the person behind the door could ring the bell once again. A big part of me was wishing it would be Woohyun and my face brightened up upon seeing the familiar black shoes once I opened the door.

 

“Woohyun!” Mrs. Nam got up from her seat and rushed towards his son with a worried expression. Mr. Nam who was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter