Blossoming Friendship

My Foolish Heart

The few days following your engagement party were hectic. Your engagement was only going to be about four months long. Kwangmin was finishing his last year of law school in the fall and you wanted to be married before he went back to school.

There was a lot for you to do. But thankfully Jihyun was there, and to your surprise, so was Byunghee. Kwangmin was working in a law firm this summer and Byunghee had volunteered to help out in Kwangmin's place.

He had been a lot of help when you went to pick out your wedding dress. He had very good taste and knew how to gently direct you to the dresses looked best on you. You learned that he was an idol when you were trying to pick a photographer. He had even suggested one. And when you went to pick a hall for the ceremony, he walked you down the aisle to help you get the feel of what it would be like in each one.

Jihyun however didn't seem as fond of him as you were. She said she didn't like how close the two of you were becoming. You didn't see a problem with it. You and Byunghee got along so well that it was like you had always known him. He understood you in ways that neither Kwangmin or Jihyun ever had.  Part of you wondered if Jihyun was just experiencing what you had dealt with while growing up. She and Kwangmin clicked in a way that you and he didn't so you often felt like a third wheel. Now that the roles were reversed, you figured she just didn't like it.

The four of you decided to meet up at a restaurant one evening after Kwangmin got off from work. You smiled when you saw him and kissed him.

"How was work oppa?”

"Stressful, so let’s not ruin dinner with that." You nodded and sat down next to him. Byunghee sat across from you and Jihyun across from Kwangmin. To your surprise, Jihyun asked about one of the cases he had been working and Kwangmin launched into a full explanation. You frowned a little, but you were used to this type of thing.

While they talked, you sat quietly stirring the straw in your drink. Things usually turned out like this when the three of you went out, but still, you didn't enjoy it. Every attempt you made to get into the conversation was overlooked. Byunghee seemed to be the only one to notice.

"How about we have our own conversation and let them be boring?" You looked up at him and smiled. It felt good to be noticed while Kwangmin and Jihyun did their thing. You were accustomed to being invisible when they got going.

"Okay! Tell me about being an idol!" Byunghee smiled and launched into crazy experiences he had had while on tour or at concerts or fan signings. You smiled as he told the stories. They captivated your attention and you laughed at how animated he was while speaking.

When the food arrived, he continued to speak between bites. You felt like you could listen to him talk forever. He was so passionate about his music.

"I'll take you to the recording studio some time, you would love it!" You nodded while stuffing a big wad of spaghetti into your mouth. Byunghee laughed, but Kwangmin's attention had turned back to you.

"Jagiya, we're in public. You should eat more lady like." He said quietly next to you. You swallowed, your face fell and you nodded. You started taking much smaller bites, but you were suddenly too aware of having to eat a certain way to really enjoy talking.

"Kwangmin-ah, you shouldn't scold your fiancé. She was enjoying herself! What does it matter if she gets a little sauce on her chin? Just wipe it off." Byunghee smiled at you and nodded reassuringly. You gave him a small smile, not used to anyone standing up to Kwangmin for you.

"She needs to get used to eating more politely, hyung. She will be the wife of a lawyer, it's important that she have manners." Kwangmin was strict, you knew that. He had always been that way. Byunghee looked like he was about to say something back, but you shook your head at him. Angering Kwangmin would not do anyone any good.

At the end of the meal, you all parted ways. You got into Kwangmin's car and he drove you back to your apartment. He had insisted that the two of you didn't live together until after you were married. He kissed you goodnight before you got out of the car and then you went up to your apartment.

The next couple of days were much the same. Jihyun had to work for a few of them, so you and Byunghee went out together to pick out invitations. You were grateful for his company so you wouldn't have to be completely alone. Once again, his input was very helpful.

"Byunghee oppa, how did you get so good at these kinds of things?" You had started calling him oppa after he insisted you stop being so formal to him since you would be family soon.

"I helped design some of our album covers in the past, I guess I learned a few things." He shrugged. Sometimes he bragged, and others he was humble. You could never really predict his answers and reactions.

The two of you finished picking out the designs and text and went to a small coffee shop for a late lunch. It was a cute little place that you loved coming to. Jihyun's cousin, Seojin's, family owned the place. Her grandmother ran the little shop and often told you about the interesting people that came through.

She told you about a young man around Byunghee's age that had had to say goodbye to his first  love earlier that day.

"That's so sad! Why couldn't she give him another chance?" You pouted.

"Sometimes life gets in the way. Other things, other people come up. Just because she was his first love doesn't mean she will be his only. I'm sure he will find someone who makes him happy again." You watched Byunghee as he spoke. For as much of a playful kid as he was, he had his sensitive side. This was the side of him you saw when he talked about his music. He looked up when he finished and you smiled at him.

"You keep catching me by surprise. Just when I think I have you figured out, you do or say something that puts me back at square one." He smiled at you, staring into your eyes for a moment before speaking again.

"Isn't that how things should be? What fun is it if you completely understand each other? Isn't it like this with Kwangmin?" You shook your head.

"I've known Kwangmin since we were kids. We started dating in high school and I've had him figured out since then. I don't wonder what he is thinking anymore, I just kind of know." Byunghee watched you with a sad expression.

"The way you talk about your relationship doesn't sound like how love should be. It sounds comfortable, not passionate."

"I guess Kwangmin and I have been together so long that we already had our newlywed stage of the relationship." You shrugged. Byunghee shook his head.

"True love should never lose passion."