Announcements

My Foolish Heart

You stood smiling next to your new fiancé, Kwangmin. He had proposed to you a few days ago and now you were announcing your engagement to your families and friends. The two of you, along with your friend Jihyun, had grown up together.

Your family had moved to Korea when you were in elementary school. Your father accepted a job at your home country’s embassy. Kwangmin and Jihyun’s parents also worked there and your parents all brought you together one day. You had been friends ever since.

Kwangmin was the oldest and he had lorded it over you when you were young. He always insisted you and Jihyun call him oppa. You never argued with him. You were in the middle, a year younger than Kwangmin. Jihyun was the youngest, a year younger than you. She called you unnie and was always the adorable dongsaeng.

When you hit high school, you didn’t see Kwangmin as an older brother anymore. It took several months, and a lot of coaxing from Jihyun, for you to finally confess. To your surprise, he already knew. Jihyun had told him ages ago. You were embarrassed, but somehow the two of you started dating.

Kwangmin was your first everything. The first boy you held hands with, the first boy you kissed, and even the boy that took your ity. Now, he would be your husband. You counted yourself as possibly the luckiest girl in the world. You were marrying your childhood sweetheart, the only boy to have ever had your heart.

You were nervous to be meeting some of the extended members of his family. His family wasn’t very close so you only knew his parents and one set of grandparents.

As people were coming up to congratulate the two of you, a man came into the room. He was a bit out of breath, but very good looking. To your surprise, Kwangmin instantly yelled out to him.

"Byunghee hyung! Over here!" Hyung? Kwangmin was an only child, and very strict about who he used affectionate terms with, so you were suddenly curious about this man he was calling hyung. The man smiled and made his way to the two of you.

"Kwangmin-ah! I can’t believe you are engaged! Yah, I thought I told you that you couldn’t get married before Hyung did!" The two hugged and messed around like kids. When they finished, Kwangmin turned to you and smiled.

"Jagiya, this is my cousin, Jung Byunghee. He came around a few times when we were kids, maybe you remember?" You introduced yourself and bowed politely.

"I’m sorry, but I don’t remember you." You smiled at each other and you were taken aback by how good looking he was. Kwangmin wasn’t bad looking by any means, but he had nothing on his cousin.

The two continued to chat while you left to talk to Jihyun. She had been sitting with her family and was quiet most of the night.

"Are you okay Jihyun-ah? You’ve been so quiet! I hope you aren’t getting sick! My maid of honor needs to be healthy!" You smiled and leaned down to hug her.

"I’m fine unnie. You just seemed so busy with everyone that I didn’t want to interrupt. Who is the man talking to Kwangmin oppa?"

"That’s his cousin, Byunghee. I just met him tonight." You explained. She stood up and moved next to you. “He is very good looking, isn’t he?" She laughed at you.

"Unnie, shouldn’t you have eyes only for Kwangmin oppa? He is very good looking himself."

"I’m getting married, not dying." You stuck your tongue out at her. “I should introduce you! No reason one of us can’t get him!" You winked at her and her eyes widened.

"No! It’s okay, really!" But it was too late, you were already dragging her over to the two men.

"Byunghee-ssi, this is Kwon Jihyun, the third musketeer to our trio." Byunghee introduced himself politely, as did Jihyun.

"Jagi," Kwangmin said “I think you are making our dongsaeng uncomfortable. You shouldn’t run her around to meet strange men. Especially not ones as strange as Byunghee hyung." The two then jumped at each other, continuing to act like children. This Byunghee person certainly had a strange affect on your fiancé.

—————————-

As the night ended and people headed home, you found Kwangmin and Byunghee sitting in a corner, drinking. You sighed. Kwangmin didn’t have a high tolerance for alcohol and was probably drunk. You walked over to them.

"Oppa, we need to go home now." You tried to help pull him up, but he was too heavy for you.

"Here, I got him." Byunghee stood and got Kwangmin up. “He never could hold his liquor. Do you need a ride home?"

"No, if you can just get him to his car, I can handle it from there." Byunghee nodded. “Thank you for your help."

When Byunghee got Kwangmin settled into the passenger seat, he turned to you.

"My cousin is a very lucky man. Not only is his fiancé gorgeous, she also seems to have a wonderful personality." He smiled and bowed. “It was a pleasure to meet you. I’m the best man, so I’m sure I’ll see you a lot over the next few months."

"I look forward to it Byunghee-ssi."