Change of Plans

My Foolish Heart

Byunghee drove you home that afternoon. You both agreed that he would stay downstairs with the car while you went up. You didn’t want to break things off with Kwangmin in front of him. You took a deep breath before opening the door. You went inside and found Kwangmin sitting on the couch. Images of him and Jihyun flooded your mind and you shook them out. In that moment, you felt the hurt of what he had done. Things hadn’t been great between the two of you recently, but you had been in love with him once. As you got closer to him, you saw that he was working on a case.

“Kwangmin oppa, we need to talk.” He looked up at you, his eyes dark.

“Where have you been? You didn’t come home last night. I waited for you.” His tone was dripping with acid. If this had been a few days ago, you would’ve been more scared than you were now.

“I did come home actually, and you were here. But you weren’t alone.” You let your voice become hard as well. Contrasting to how you felt when you came into the apartment, you let every hurtful thing he had ever done or said to you give you strength. Kwangmin raised an eyebrow at you. The last time you had stood up to him was when you were kids on the playground.

“Jihyun came by looking for you.” He said, the look in his eyes telling you to drop the subject.

“Was I in the back of your throat? Because her tongue was.” You didn’t back down. You stood your ground. Kwangmin moved his laptop to the coffee table and stood up, walking towards you. He scoffed as he did so.

“Your point? You don’t satisfy me, so I found someone that did. I just use her for the physical stuff. I have for months now. That doesn’t change anything. You and I are still getting married. Now that you know, I won’t have to sneak around about it.”

“Months? You’ve been cheating on me for months? Why didn’t you just break up with me?”

“You may not be very good in bed, but you look good on my arm. You’re the best looking wife of any lawyer at my firm. And your naive disposition makes people genuinely like you. Your parents love me. You won’t find someone better than me.” Part of your heart hurt. You wanted to fight back but you couldn’t.

“You’re wrong.” Another male voice spoke from behind you. You and Kwangmin both turned to find Byunghee walking towards you. He stood at your side, but you with you partially behind him. “She has already found someone better than you. And if she hadn’t yet, it wouldn’t be hard. It isn’t difficult to find someone better than a cockroach.” Kwangmin’s eyes turned to Byunghee and understanding was clear in his eyes.

“So you’ve been screwing my cousin? Fine, I don’t care. Keep sleeping with him, but you’re still marrying me in three weeks.”

“No, I’m not. The wedding is off, Kwangmin.” His eyes were ice as they shifted from Byunghee to you and he chuckled.

“You should rethink that. Or have you already forgotten what I did for your mother?” You felt your strong mask fade away. Your eyes widened at him and you stared at him with your mouth open. You were defeated. Kwangmin knew he had you and smirked. “Exactly, you’re not going anywhere.” Byunghee turned to look at you.

“What is he talking about? Whatever it is, we can fix it. I can help you.” He had taken your hands in one of his and put the other on your cheek. You looked up to meet his eyes. The bright future you had imagined with him only a few hours ago now seemed like a distant dream. You were foolish to think you could truly be happy. You shook your head at him.

“He’s right, Oppa. I can’t go anywhere. I still have to marry him.” You pulled away from Byunghee and moved to stand next to Kwangmin, your head down and tears threatening to fall. Kwangmin smirked.

“Sorry hyung, but if you want to keep sleeping with her, go for it. I don’t know why you would bother though. She isn’t very good.” His words tore at your heart. You felt every happy part of yourself dying.

“If you honestly think that, then you’re the one that is bad in bed.” Byunghee spat at Kwangmin and then turned to you. “Please, let me help you.” Byunghee was practically begging you.

“I’m sorry, I have to stay with my fiance.”