Rainy Day and a Wedding Cake

My Foolish Heart

When the weekend arrived, you were grateful to have some time to spend with your fiancé. Kwangmin had been so busy with work that you felt like you hadn't seen him in ages. He came over to your apartment just before lunch, but you were surprised when he had his briefcase with him.

"Oppa, why do you have that? Do you have to work right now?" You pouted at him.

"Jagi, you know I've been busy. We don't all get the summers off." You continued to pout. Sure, teachers had the summer off, but couldn't he have at least the afternoon?

"Can we at least eat lunch together before you start?" Kwangmin sighed, but nodded.

You put together a simple lunch, and then the two of you sat at your table. You told him about the wedding planning and about the story the old woman had told you.

"Isn't it sad? She gave up on her first love!" You didn't know why this story hit such a chord with you, but it did. Kwangmin only shrugged.

"Not every relationship is meant to last. People have their reasons. You shouldn't think about it so much."

"But she was his first love! How would you feel if that were us?" You didn't anticipate an answer, but apparently Kwangmin didn't notice.

"I'd find someone else, wouldn't I? You aren't the only woman in the world. And you certainly aren't the only one I'm attracted to or could love." He said it so matter of factly that you could only gawk at him. Had he really just said that? You were engaged and he acted like it didn't mean anything.

You stood up and took the empty plates to the kitchen to clean while Kwangmin started working. You didn't want to be with him all day now so you texted Byunghee. He agreed to meet you at the bakery down the street. You wanted Kwangmin to help pick out your wedding cake, but he obviously didn't care that much. He didn't even ask where you were going when you left.

You found Byunghee waiting for you outside your complex. He smiled when he saw you. He had a jacket on since it was a bit chilly today.

"Hi! I was already in the area so I thought we could go together!" His smile instantly helped you feel better. You didn't mean to, but you ended up venting about the situation that happened earlier to him. He just nodded and listened as the two of you slowly made your way to the bakery.

"Honestly, I don't understand you and Kwangmin as a couple. You're so different." He said when you finished.

"He used to be more fun. When we were younger he was the life of the party. I guess people change as they grow up. Until now I've thought maybe he was just stressed out with school and that's why he was like this. But now, I'm not so sure." Byunghee took your hand in his. It was warm and the physical contact was nice.

"Don't worry about it too much. Things will work out the way they are supposed to." You smiled at each other and he pulled the door to the bakery open for you.

The two of you sat down with the pastry chef and you explained the kind of cake you wanted. Byunghee threw in a few thoughts as you went and you were surprised at how well they worked with your vision. The two of you laughed and smiled as you bounced around ideas for the cake with the baker. The old man smiled at you both as he stood up to return to the back of the shop.

"It's nice to see a couple so young and in love. You two truly enjoy each other. It's refreshing." You opened your mouth to say Byunghee wasn't your fiancé, but the baker was already gone.

"Can you believe he thought we were engaged?" You laughed as you turned to Byunghee, who smiled and shrugged.

"We came in to pick out a wedding cake. If you saw us, wouldn't you also think that?" You thought about it for a moment.

"Yeah, I guess I would." You smiled at him. "Lets go walk around the park! It's been awhile since we've had free time!" You grabbed his hand and pulled him out of the bakery.

There was a park close by and the two of you leisurely strolled along a path that led around a small lake. You continued holding hands. This didn't seem weird to you, you liked the warmth from his touch.

The two of you talked about everything and anything that came up. It was easy to talk to him and he listened as though he cared about anything you said. He remembered details about you and you were constantly surprised by it.

As you got around to the other side of the lake, you steered off in the direction of your apartment. It was starting to get late and it looked like it was going to rain any moment. You didn't want to get caught outside in that.

Just as you rounded the corner onto your street, it started pouring. You and Byunghee laughed and took off toward your complex. You both stopped under the awning to catch your breath. You looked at each other and laughed again. You reached over to fix his hair and something in the way you stared at each other seemed to change.

Byunghee suddenly pulled you close to him and kissed you gently. Your brain told you to pull away, but you found yourself not wanting to listen. Instead, you moved your fingers into the hair at the nape of his neck and kissed him back. When he finally pulled back, you regained control of yourself.

Your heart was pounding. What had you just done? You had kissed someone that wasn't your fiancé, and to make it worse, he was your fiancé's cousin! You pushed him away and hurried inside. Byunghee called after you.

"Don't follow me! Don't call me! Oh my god, what did I do?!" You quickly went up to your apartment. Only as you opened the door did you realize you were drenched in cold rain water and shivering. Kwangmin looked up at you.

"Jagi, come inside! You'll get sick if you don't change. And you know I don't have time to take care of you."