Acquaintances

Broken

October 20th, 2012

Dear Ilji,

        My daddy talked to my dad a couple of days ago and he said that I could finish the puzzle with my dad! I was really happy because I get to see how the puzzle is going to look when it finishes. My daddy also stopped packing and I wondered why but I didn't care...maybe it was because he threw away those goodbye papers. The schedule my daddy made for the puzzle is I can finish the puzzle on Tuesday, Thursday's, and maybe Saturday if I want to. I can only go on those days during the week after I finish my homework because that's when my daddy gets off of work early. The other days is when he's on call and he gets off of work late so I can't finish the puzzles on the other days. 

  Today is Tuesday and you know what that means? I'm over my house right now. Uncle Channie walked me over to the house once my dad called and said that the was home. Hyun Seo wanted to come but he's still grounded and uncle Baek said he didn't want  Hyun Seo anywhere near my dad (he doesn't even want me to go over to the house). I'm waiting for my dad to change out of his work clothes and then we are going to continue the puzzle. 

"I'm back kid," Jongin announces when he steps into the living room wearing gray sweat and a white t-shirt. Jun Min puts away his journal and takes his place on the floor where he was before. Jongin takes his place on the opposite side and sits on the patterned rug. "Before we start the puzzle...are you thirsty?"

Jun Min shakes his head.

  Jongin nods and puts the picture of the finishing puzzle on the top hand of the coffee table so both he and Jun Min can look at it. They both take their individual puzzle box filled with pieces and sort through the piles to find more end pieces. In order for the outer part of the puzzle to be completed they need to finish the top part, they are almost at their short term goal. To finish the outer rink. It's completely quiet as the two of them do the puzzle, minus the sounds of their fingers sorting through the pieces. Though Jongin is concentrated on the puzzle he's a little distracted by how quiet it is. Of course he doesn't expect Jun Min to talk or anything but it's still too quiet for his liking. He deals with silence at his house a lot ever since Kyungsoo and Jun Min left and he would feel better if he had a little noise.

"Do you mind if I put on a little music while we do the puzzle?" Jongin asks.

 Jun Min grabs ahold of his superhero notepad he is now going to use specifically for the conversations he has with Jongin and begins writing something down. Jongin waits patiently for Jun Min to write.

Won't you get distracted if you listen to music though?

"That's only if it has words and even if you listened to music with words you will actually be more focused. I read that somewhere in an article I think..." Jongin thinks about it for awhile until he realizes that Jun Min probably doesn't care about where he got the fact from. "But the music I listen to most times doesn't have words and I'll put it on low just in case you might get distracted."

I don't mind if you listen to music...it was too quiet anyway.

    Jongin gives a small smile before he grabs the tv remote and goes to Pandora. It's already on the station he wants, the chill out station. He found it a couple of weeks after he'd been sober and he needed something to calm his nerves during the withdrawel period, that period of time was terrible. Jongin shivers just thinking about it. The first song to come on is called A Walk by some artists Jongin has no idea is but he likes the song. When Jongin looks at Jun Min, Jun Min doesn't seem to mind the song either. He's quietly nodding his head while connecting another end piece together.

  With the music on both Jongin and Jun M in go at a faster pace since theyy are really focused on the puzzle. Also the music adds background noise to help them concentrate. Jun Min realizes that what Jongin said was actually right about the music. Jun Min made sure to take note to ask his daddy if he could listen to music when he did his homework even though he already knew that his daddy might say no.

Can you tell me where you got that fact about music enhancing concentration from?

Jongin didn't expect Jun Min to write that to him but he's lowkey relieved that Jun Min did care about his useless fact he learned. Jongin tries to remember where he read the fact from but nothing is ringing a bell...then he questions why Jun Min wants to know.

"Why do you want to know where I got it from?"

Because I want to try and persuade my daddy to let me listen to music while I do my homework. He will most likely say no but maybe if I show him the fact he might say yes

"Oh...well...ummm do you want me to try and persuade him?"

I guess? He still might say no

"It's worth a try," Jongin says resulting in Jun Min shrugging his shoulders. Jongin didn't know that Kyungsoo was such a strict parent. But then again Jongin expected this because when Jongin paid attention to things he saw that Jun Min had a tight knitted schedule and there are a lot of rules that Jun Min has to follow. The only one Jongin knows is the television one because in the past when he would hear Jun Min in the other room while he was taking sips of alcohol he remembered the tv staying on for exactly one hour. It was always an hour and then Jun Min would return back to his room and remain quiet. "Is Kyungsoo always strict?"

He's not strict, well atleast I don't think so. He just sets rules that will help me in the future

"What are some of the rules?" Jongin asks.

Aren't we supposed to be doing the puzzle? You ask too many questions.

  Jongin wants to tell Jun Min that that's no way to talk to him but then he realizes that he doesn't have the right nor the authority to scold him because it's not his place. Also he wasn't even there for Jun Min for more than half his life so he just can't come out of no where and act like a responsible dad because he's not.

"I just wanted to ask...I thought you wouldn't mind answering," Jongin pouts a little.

Jun Min lets out a sigh and begins writing in his notepad. As he writes down some of the rules Kyungsoo made for him Jongin continues with the puzzle.

There's not that many rules like you probably think there is... also he's not strict. I said this before but just in case you think he is again realize he's not because I'm happy with the rules.

1) I can only watch tv for an hour (because he doesn't want my brain to rot)

2) I have to drink Pediasure after every meal (because I don't really want to eat food)

"That's that drink with the bear on it in the fridge right?" 

Jun Min nods his head.

"Am I supposed to give you one while you're over here?"

Jun Min shakes his head. Jongin doesn't believe what Jun Min tells him so he gives Jun Min a stern look. Jun Min puts his head on the table and nods slowly.

"You don't like the stuff do you?"

Jun Min shakes his head.

"I won't force you to drink it then...but just remember if you start eating food then you won't have to drink the stuff ever again."

Jun Min lifts up his head and looks at Jongin with an 'are you serious' face and Jongin fights back the urge to laugh at the face Jun Min's making.

"I can assure you if you eat more food then you won't have to drink that stuff," Jongin says as he goes back to the list of rules.

3) I have to read atleast 30 minutes a day but I always read way more and my daddy encourages me to read as much as possible

4) Homework first before anything else

5) If I ever lie then I will get a timeout. I will also get a time out if I get smart with him or another adult

6) Also I have to do this extra math book that my daddy gave me. A page a day.

"Wow...and you still wrote more rules. I won't read them all but I still think that it's a lot for someone your age," Jongin contemplates.

It's really not that bad.

"You're how old again?" Jongin feels bad for asking the question but he honestly doesn't remember. He just knows that Jun Min is older than five and he's in the 7-8 range. Jun Min holds up seven fingers before going back to the puzzle. Before Jongin goes back to the puzzle he thinks about Jun Min's age...he knows that Jun Min will turn eight soon. He just doesn't remember the exact day, yeah he mentally slaps himself across the face fore being that much of a for forgetting his own kid's birthday.

  The two of them continue with the puzzle and Jongin doesn't ask anymore questions to Jun Min's delight. Jun Min just wanted to finish the puzzle he didn't want Jongin distracting him with all those questions. There's one song that the both of them like very much and it makes them more focused. The two of them start connecting the pieces faster and when the door bell rings they connected the final end piece. They finally finished the outer part of the puzzle.

"We got the outer part done!" Jongin holds his hand out so Jun Min can high five it. Jun Min flinched a little at first because he thought he was going to get but then he realizes it's a high five and he gives Jongin the high five. Jongin noticed the flinch and frowned a little but then he starts smiling when he see's Jun Min running and jumping towards the door. "Kid make sure you see who it is before you open the door!"

   Jun Min opens the door and gives Kyungsoo a big hug before he drags him into the house to show Kyungsoo the puzzle.

"Jun Min I didn't take off my shoes!" Kyungsoo scolds. But Jun Min ignores him and continues to drag him into the house.

"I don't mind if you walk in here with shoes...I was going to clean the floors tonight anyway," Jongin speaks once he stands up from his spot. He has to stretch a little because he was sitting in one position for a long time.

  Jun Min manages to drag Kyungsoo to the puzzle and he's looking at Kyungsoo with a bright smile while waiting for a reaction.

"Wow you two have gotten far! Good job Jun Min!" Kyungsoo bends down and raises both of his hands. Jun Min high fives them and runs to go get his stuff. "No running in the house Jun Min!"

  Both Kyungsoo and Jongin are left in the living room. They look at each other for a couple of seconds before looking at other parts of the living room. Kyungsoo decides that the painting hanging on the wall is very intriguing while Jongin finds the glass side table to be one of the most amazing things he'd ever seen. 

"Ummm good job on the puzzle. You two have gotten really far...." Kyungsoo breaks the awkward silence.

"Thanks," Jongin says quickly. It's back to silence except for the music playing. That's when Jongin remembers what he said he'd do. "That reminds me...the kid wanted to ask you something  but he's scared you'll say no."

"You mean the kid as in Jun Min your son?" Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow.

"Yeah," Jongin feels his cheeks getting flustered. "He wanted to try and persuade you to let him listen to music while he did his homework."

"Well he's right i would say no...why would I let him listen to music while he's doing his homework? That's distracting," Kyungsoo replies.

"That's what you might think but that's only the case when the music has word to it. Wordless music tends to help someone focus more...I got the fact from a trustworthy article on the internet made by a well known behaviorist..." Jongin finally feels relieved because he remembered where he got the information before. 

Kyungsoo looks at Jongin for a couple of seconds and taps his foot to try and think about it but he shakes his head.

"I will take it into consideration. Or I might just try it but if it takes longer for Jun Min to do his homework with the music on then I won't let him do it again," Kyungsoo decides. Though he doesn't want Jun Min listening to music while doing his work he wants Jun Min to be happy and he'd be willing to try new things if it meant that Jun Min is happy. Also if it meant that Jun Min could become more focused. Though Jun Min's already focused there is still room for improvement.

  Jun Min comes walking out of his room with his things and he's wearing his spiderman hoodie.

"I guess we better get going," Kyungsoo says. Kyungsoo grabs Jun Min's hand and they walk to the front door. Jongin is a few steps behind them. "Also I'm sorry for walking in here with my shoes on."

"Don't worry about it...I said I was going to clean the floors," Jongin assures Kyungsoo.

"You know how to use a mop?" Kyungsoo asks in disbelief.

"Yes I know how to use a mop. But the broom...that's a different story," Jongin jokes. They both lightly laugh at the lame joke. Kyungsoo and Jun Min are on the front porch while Jongin is still in the house holding onto the door. It gets quiet again...then the awkward silence comes creeping in. "Well I will see you on Thursday kid."

  Jun Min waves Jongin goodbye.

"Have a goodnight Jongin," Kyungsoo says.

"You too," Jongin replies before he closes the door.

 

October 22nd, 2012

    Dear Ilji,

   Today I got to do the puzzle with my dad. He didn't ask as many questions like before but he still asked a few. I was so happy the other day when we finished the outside part of the puzzle because that means that the puzzle will be easier to do. Though the many dark parts surrounding the ballet dancers might be difficult. But other than that the puzzle should be done soon enough.

   Oh yeah, I listened to what my dad said about eating more and not having to drink the Pediasure...and guess what? He was right! When I got home that night uncle Baek had made beef stir fry and I don't like that at all but I hate Pediasure more. I ate the food and it wasn't that bad and I finished the plate and my daddy was so shocked but so proud of me. He said I didn't have to drink the Pediasure that night so I started eating all my food. I even went to lunch in school yesterday and today so I didn't have to go to the nurse. Uncle Joonie was happy about it too.

  Also my dad persuaded my daddy to let me listen to music when I do my homework. He thought about it for awhile and he tested the theory yesterday, well he made uncle Baek do it. Uncle Baek said it takes 20 to 25 minutes on average for Hyun Seo and I to finish our homework. So we had to finish our homework with the music on before the timer hit zero after 20 minutes and our homework had to be 95% correct (I wasn't worried about myself but for Hyun Seo). Uncle Baek brought his laptop and went to the Pandora station I told him to go to and me and Hyun Seo did out homework.

  We got it done in 15 minutes and all my homework was correct and Hyun Seo only had one problem wrong. You should have seen uncle Baek's face. He was so shocked to see Hyun Seo so focused and to see him finish his homework so fast.

To be completely honest Hyun Seo got like six problems wrong but I changed the answers when uncle Baek ran to go pee. I really wanted to prove my daddy wrong.

   I thanked my dad for persuading my daddy to let me listen to music when doing my work and I told him that we kind of won the argument but he was proud? I guess, he gave me a high five. Today we got the bottom left part of the puzzle done. My daddy came a a few minutes ago and I have to hurry up and get my things but I wanted to write in you before I left. Plus my daddy and dad are talking...Like actually talking to each other.

    Jun Min puts his journal away in his travel bag and makes sure to grab a couple of books from his library. Sure they might be books that he's read before but he likes to reread them and relive the experience. Plus his dad kind of ripped the new book he had gotten...but that didn't matter anymore. Jun Min's birthday is coming up and he knows he will get more books to add to his collection. Once Jun Min has his books together he goes through his closet and gets his light blue hoodie. When he leaves his room with his stuff he walks into the living room and his parents are still talking.

"So you were the one that told Jun Min that if he ate all of his food he wouldn't have to drink the Pediasure?" Kyungsoo lightly smiles.

"Yeah and he couldn't believe it," Jongin laughs thinking about Jun Min's face when he told him that. "But has it helped?"

"Oh has it. For the past two days Jun Min has been cleaning his plate and I don't have to force him to drink the stuff," Kyungsoo answers.

"I'm just wondering how bad it could be," Jongin thinks.

"It's bad trust me...I tried the drink to see why he hates it so much and I could see why," Kyungsoo cringes just thinking about the drink. "I know what you're thinking...why am I giving him that even when we both hate it."

"That's exactly what I was thinking...how did you know?" Jongin questions.

"I could read your face and tell what you were thinking," Kyungsoo says. "But it was the only thing that I could give him. That's the only child friendly food substitute."

"Well that . But he's eating his food now so you won't have to worry about it for now," Jongin sits back in the couch.

"Yeah I guess you're right...I hope he continues to eat more like this. I felt relieved when Junmyeon called me today and said that Jun Min ate at lunch yesterday and today. Usually Jun Min skips lunch."

"How is Junmyeon doing? I forgot that he was one of Jun Min's teachers," Jongin says. He's forgotten a lot of thinks to be honest.

"Well Junmyeon's doing great actually and he's going to be a dad in a about seven months," Kyungsoo smiles. Jun Min takes a seat by Kyungsoo on the couch and rests his head on Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo brought hishand to Jun Min's hair and started running his fingers through it, making Jun Min sleepy. 

"Woah Jongdae is expecting? Even after all those times he said he was never going to have any kids?" Jongin is in disbelief.

"That's what me and Baek were saying. Jongdae was the last person we thought would be having a baby. He showed us," Kyungsoo says. He and Jongin shared a small laugh. It gets quiet between the two and Kyungsoo is put off a little because he and Jongin actually talked like they were friends, like nothing before ever happened. But those things did happen so this is the friendliest they are ever going to get. "Well I guess we should get going. Jun Min is getting sleepy."

  Kyungsoo tries to get up from the couch but Jun Min is leaning on him and he can't get up. He taps for Jun Min to get up but Jun Min holds his arms out so he can get picked up. Kyungsoo lets out a small sigh before he picks up Jun Min and stands up. Jongin also gets up and walks the two to the door. 

"By the way...have you been ordering takeout this whole time?" Kyungsoo wanted to know.

"No," Jongin smiles. "I can cook."

"You can?" Kyungsoo is surprised. Last time he saw Jongin cook was the day that they had to call the fire department because Jongin unfortunately burned water.

"Yeah I'm good at making a lot of things like pasta...and more pasta..." Jongin says resulting in a small laugh from Kyungsoo. "I will see you two soon."

"Have a good night Jongin," Kyungsoo says. Jun Min lifts his head up and waves to Jongin before laying his head back down on Kyungsoo's shoulder.

"You too," Jongin waves back at Jun Min.

Then they go their seperate ways

 

 


A/N*: I'm probably going to add way more to this once I figure out how to do the next entry. Which might be in a couple of minutes? So if you read it and there's only one entry then look out for another entry because there might me two or three more. I'm sorry for the long wait I really xp I know I'm a bad author lol I can't even update regularly but I hope this fic still gets a lot of love. All of you readers are amazing and I hope you all have a good night or morning <3

And as you can see Jongin and Kyungsoo are very awkward and Jongin doesn't call Jun Min by his name but kid. Hmmm Jongin you need to fix that...tsk tsk