Uphill Road

Queer & Proud

There were surprisingly many perks to being an early riser, one of them being able to get some alone time without anyone to bother you. Sehun treasured the half an hour of peace and quiet he indulged in every morning until Luhan woke up and he was forced into another day of chaos and lunacy. Not that he particularly hated those moments, but being the introvert he was there were times he just could not mentally and physically keep up with Luhan’s naturally energetic nature.

 

So when he opened his eyes and looked around, it wasn’t much of a surprise that the room was dead silent and Luhan was sprawled across his bed, arms hanging off the edge and mouth slightly parted. He snickered and wondered if he should take a picture, eventually deciding against it because he didn’t see what he could use it for. Baekhyun and Jongin would probably pay him for it, and that was tempting enough, but he didn’t particularly feel like pleasing those two. Instead he kicked off the blankets, changed into the school uniform, and plopped back on top of the bed, taking in the peaceful surrounding.

 

Luhan was always an extremely entertaining sleeper. He didn’t have any annoying habits (thank god for that), but Sehun had been unfortunately woken up several nights because of a loud thud, only to find out seconds later that Luhan had accidentally fallen off the bed. Why Luhan continually made the same mistake was beyond his comprehension, but now Sehun simply stood up, picked Luhan up, and threw him back into his bed before going back to his.

 

Luhan never seemed to recall what happened during the night, because whenever Sehun would comment on it over breakfast the boy merely furrowed his eyebrows and looked absolutely baffled. Times like these convinced Sehun that something was truly wrong with the older male’s head.

 

Nonetheless, the whole dormitory was completely silent at this hour, and Sehun was most likely the only person awake. He slowly reached forward to grab his bag when he heard a loud crash in front of him. Head snapping up in a matter of seconds, he watched in disbelief as Luhan groaned in pain and blinked up at him from the ground.

 

“Why...the am I on the ground?” Luhan questioned as he slowly took in his surrounding. Sehun, however, had a bigger issue to deal with - the fact that Luhan actually woke up after falling.

 

“Why the are you awake?” Sehun asked back, and Luhan merely furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. He quickly looked down and stood up on his wobbling feet.

 

“Oh, is this what you’re always talking about?”

 

“Aren’t you a genius?” Sehun commented sarcastically, earning a tiny scowl from the other.

 

“Whatever Sehun,” Luhan waved his hand in a dismissing manner before gathering his uniform and walking towards the bathroom. Sehun sat still in the uncomfortable silence before Luhan walked back out.

 

It was the first time since Sehun had arrived that Luhan didn’t offer him a bright smile after waking up.

 

Clearing his throat awkwardly, Sehun slowly stood up and walked towards Luhan, who was lazily stuffing his books into his bag.

 

“You’re not mad about the other night, are you?” he said. Luhan halted before straightening up with a sigh.

 

“I’m not a child. There’s no reason I should still be mad,” Luhan replied, but his voice wasn’t the usual cheery tone.

 

“Luhan, you are still mad.”

 

“No, I’m not!” Luhan whirled around and stomped his foot on the ground. Sehun stared at the older boy in front of him before cracking a playful smile.

 

“Your maturity astounds me.”

 

“Ugh,” Luhan grabbed his bag and stormed out the room, Sehun running after his tail. The moment they stumbled out the room together the door down the hall also flung open, revealing Kyungsoo rubbing his eyes tiredly. He slowly lifted his head and met eyes with Luhan, who froze in his steps. Sehun sighed and leaned against the wall with a weary look.

 

“Hey Kyungsoo,” Sehun called out. Kyungsoo offered him a tiny smile before also giving one to Luhan. Luhan nodded back, but something was stiff about his gesture.

 

“I went to the teacher last night,” Kyungsoo spoke up, and Luhan’s eyes widened. “I cleared up the mess. Jongin’s not getting expelled.”

 

“You did?” Luhan asked, “wow Kyungsoo. That was very nice of you.”

 

“Kim Jongin almost got expelled for helping my best friend. I wasn’t going to do nothing about it.”

 

Kyungsoo cast a nervous look at the closed door to his room before sighing.

 

“Luhan, please tell your best friend not to do anything stupid. I doubt I’ll be able to help him next time.”

 

“Excuse me?” Luhan asked, but Kyungsoo merely smiled at the two boys before walking away. Sehun stood in silence before looking at Luhan’s expressionless face.

 

“Come on, I’ll buy you breakfast today.”

 

Sehun quickly placed his hands on top of Luhan’s shoulders, earning a surprised yelp from the other, and pushed him into the nearly empty cafeteria. His own table was vacant, but he knew it would only be a matter of minutes before students began piling in. He picked up two large trays, stuffed the plates with food, and slid them on top of the table.

 

“Eat,” he ordered, and Luhan raised his eyebrow.

 

“Are you trying to bribe me with food?” he asked, and Sehun scoffed.

 

“I don’t know why being friends with Kyungsoo is such a crime, but since it pisses you off, I’ll start by saying I’m sorry.”

 

“I’m not mad because you’re friends with Kyungsoo,” Luhan snapped back.

 

“Why are you mad then?”

 

“I thought we settled this matter last night, Sehun.”

 

“No, you went to bed clearly pissed off, so it is not settled.”

 

Luhan sighed and slumped down in his seat. “You never let anything go, do you?”

 

“I don’t like being left in the dark. Now, are you going to explain or start eating?”

 

“For gods sake Sehun, it pissed me off because I had to put in so much effort to befriend you while all Kyungsoo had to do is sit still. It doesn’t make sense!”

 

“How many times do I need to tell you that it was because I felt bad for him?”

 

“Dear god, it’s not like I don’t get that! I understand, okay? Just let me be. I’m honestly not mad at you anymore, so drop the subject and let’s just eat in peace.”

 

“Luha-”

 

“Sehun. Please,” Luhan lifted his head and gave Sehun a pleading look. Sehun stared back before sighing in defeat.

 

“Just know that you’re still the closest friend I ever had,” Sehun said. Luhan’s cheeks were tinted pink and he quickly duck his head, averting his gaze. “And I’m thankful for that. The only reason I was able to befriend Kyungsoo was because you made the effort to help me open up first. Without you, I’d probably still be roaming the halls alone waiting for my next expulsion.”

 

Sehun peered down at Luhan with his usual small, barely visible smile, and Luhan felt his cheeks burn up even more. He cleared his throat and quickly stabbed his fork into one of the pancakes.

 

“Well, I’m glad I followed you around like a stalker then,” Luhan murmured, and when Sehun let out an amused, boisterous laughter he couldn’t help but crack a smile himself.

 

“In a weird way, I’m glad you did too.”

 

Luhan chuckled nervously, stealing glances at Sehun who was now focused on his meal, when he heard a low bang from ahead. He looked up in annoyance when he saw Baekhyun slump in his seat, eyes drooping down in sleepiness.

 

“What’s wrong with you?” Luhan snapped with a frown. He was beginning to enjoy his alone time with Sehun, and did not appreciate the boy in front of him acting like a .

 

Baekhyun groaned and returned the frown with double the irritation.

 

“Seriously? The first thing you say to me is what’s wrong with me? I thought you were supposed to be the nice one in this friend group.”

 

“Sorry, but I think I have that title now,” Sehun spoke up. Luhan cocked an eyebrow and Baekhyun immediately snorted.

“Even Jongdae will get that title before you, and you know that little er is the definition of evil.”

 

“Sehun’s nice,” Luhan said quietly, which went completely unheard to both boys. Baekhyun crossed his arms and started rubbing his eyes.

 

“Where’s everyone anyway?” Baekhyun asked. Sehun shrugged with disinterest before going back to his food, and Luhan quickly scanned the cafeteria. He saw Jongdae and Minseok walk in, give him a knowing smirk as they pointed at his close proximity to Sehun, and walk back out with apples piled in their arms. Luhan didn’t even want to know what they were up to.

 

“Oh right!” Luhan suddenly exclaimed. Baekhyun, who was falling asleep, jumped in his seat and shot the older boy a vicious glare.

 

“What the ?” Baekhyun sneered. “I’m trying to get some rest here!”

 

“Nevermind that,” Luhan snapped before leaning forward. “We bumped into Kyungsoo this morning, and apparently Jongin’s not getting expelled! Kyungsoo went to the teacher last night and cleared things up!”

 

Baekhyun immediately froze, his eyes widening in surprise. Luhan, who was beaming brightly, stared in confusion as his best friend remained absolutely still.

 

“Baekhyun? Jongin’s not getting expelled. Shouldn’t you be a little more happy?”

 

Baekhyun suddenly let out a shaky breath. His cheeks paled, and this time even Sehun dropped his spoon to look at the boy in front of him.

 

“Oh my god,” Baekhyun finally muttered, “did you say Kyungsoo talked to the teacher?”

 

Luhan furrowed his eyebrows before nodding tentatively. “Yeah, he talked to him last night. Is everything alright?”

 

“Kyungsoo helped Jongin?” Baekhyun said, his voice hollow.

 

 

 

Sehun sighed and leaned forward, propping his elbows on top of the table.

 

“Look Byun Baekhyun, I think we need to tell you something. Kyungsoo’s not who you think he is. You need to stop attacking him like you did last night. Kyungsoo and Jongin are fragile as they are - they don’t need another catalyst to get their relationship going down the drain again.”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes wavered before it focused on something behind Luhan’s head. Luhan and Sehun slowly turned around to see Chanyeol walk towards them with a smile.

 

“Hey guys,” he said before slipping in the seat beside Baekhyun. Baekhyun, however, didn’t return the smile.

 

“Chanyeol,” Baekhyun slowly started, “apparently Kyungsoo went to the teacher last night and stopped Jongin from getting expelled.”

 

Chanyeol’s body stiffened.

 

“Kyungsoo did that?” He asked. Luhan stared at the two before nodding slowly.

 

“I asked him to do the right thing.”

 

“Do you know what he said?” Chanyeol said urgently. “Oh my god, he didn’t lie for my sake, did he?”

 

“I don’t know Chanyeol. He didn’t tell me the details. All he told me was to stop Jongin from doing anything stupid.”

 

Baekhyun suddenly grabbed Chanyeol’s arm, startling the taller boy.

 

“Do you know where Kyungsoo is?”

 

Chanyeol stared down at Baekhyun. “No, but he’s usually in the library if he’s not in the cafeteria in the morning-”

 

All three boys looked at Baekhyun in surprise when the boy leapt out of his seat, arms fumbling around to gather all of his things.

 

“I told Kyungsoo I wished he would just disappear,” he spluttered, “I didn’t even know that Kyungsoo was going to help Jongin. I need to go apologize to him. Oh , what did I do?

 

“Baekhyun-” Chanyeol said, but Baekhyun cut him off.

 

“I’ll see you guys later, okay?” Baekhyun quickly bent down and much to everyone’s surprise, wrapped his arms around Chanyeol before turning around.

 

It was very rare to see Baekhyun do anything but be his lazy self, and Luhan had to keep himself from gawking as he saw Baekhyun’s short legs quickly run out of the cafeteria.

 

“So Luhan....,” Luhan turned around to face Sehun, who was looking at something on the table.

 

“You’re not going to finish all that food, are you?”

 

Luhan groaned and lifted up Sehun’s math workbook, hitting the boy on the back of the head and earning a shout of protest.

 

“Since when have you gotten so food-obsessed?” Luhan screeched. Sehun rubbed the back of his head with a frown.

 

“There’s nothing to worry about, is there? Jongin’s not getting expelled, Baekhyun is off to apologize for being a , Kyungsoo just helped Kim Jongin, and if that’s not a sign of him starting to get over the past I don’t know what is, and look, Chanyeol just got a hug from Baekhyun!”

 

Luhan looked back to see Chanyeol frozen in his seat, eyes dazed and a smile tugging at his lips. Suddenly, he jumped out of his seat and pumped his fist in the air.

 

 

“ yeah!” Chanyeol yelled, and both Luhan and Sehun burst out in laughter in unison.

 


EEEPPPP. I'm sorry for being a day late guys :( I was super busy last night after school and just couldn't make time for this upload. Hopefully I haven't kept anyone waiting for TOO LONG. This chapter is Hunhan centered (with baekyeol at the end hehe) XD

Oh btw, I was riding a taxi today and the driver's name was Goh Sehun XD I was staring at his name plate and was like "OMG WITHOUT THE G YOU COULD BE OH SEHUN EEEONWIDNW" (in my head guys. i'm not that much of a freak)

Anyways, that was a random incident of the day. I'll be back either late Saturday or early Sunday. Don't forget to leave a comment below and if you haven't already, subscribe and vote up! See ya~!