V. Teenagers & Chasers

On A Rainy Day

   Jinae had me working alongside her throughout the day. Everywhere she went, I followed right behind her like a lost puppy. Clipboard in one hand, supplies in the other, and a tired smile on my face. 

   "Are you tired?" Jinae asked as she pressed a button to go up in the elevator. I took a deep breath, then turned my head to look over at her.

   "Aniyo," I answered, looking away from her. "I'm fine; I just didn't get that much sleep last night." I put the supplies down and smiled ocer at her as I pulled my hair into a tighter pony tail. She let out a sigh, and gave me a small grin.

   "Ah," she mumbled. "How about you go home? You've been working with me for eleven hours, Mone yah, you'll get paid enough. Go home, rest since you have classes tomorrow." 

   "Really?" I grinned. "I can go home now?" She let a laugh escape her lips and nodded. I took a calming breath, nodding to myself and handing over the clipboard that had the names of the patients we'd still have to see. "Oh, unnie, what about you?" She looked at he phone and let out a sigh 

   "My shift is yet to be over, Mone yah," she shrugged and put her phone back in her pocket before turning to me. "Now go home, and please rest for your lectures tomorrow. Professor Shin is already talking highly of you with the doctors and professors." The doors to the elevator opened, and I walked out. Jinae stayed, and waved at me while the doors closed once again. I began to walk away from the elevator, and straight to her office so I could leave my white coat.

   The walls in the hospital were painted a soft beige, and every nurse smiled at me as I passed by them. A few doctors grinned, but kept on going to wherever they were going to. The waiting rooms were filled with patients of all ages. An ahjumma sat with her daughter right by her side, holding hands tightly and looking around for any sign of a doctor. Bleak looks were on their faces, and I knew they were expecting news about a loved one. An ahjussi sat at the other side, his hand gripping a cane and a face that was blank, yet I could tell that he was ill. I could see the pain in his dull brown eyes; I could see that the wrinkles were from years of being physically ill. There was a little boy of five playing with his noona at the other side. The girl had a tear stricken face with a smile on her lips, meanwhile the boy had a bright smile and a glimmering squint to his eyes that said he was happy. A pregnant girl was at the other side, softly cooing at the unborn child in her stomach. Her husband, or boyfriend, sat right by her side with a smile on his face as his hand rested on her stomach. A screaming ahjumma was at the other side, being held by her husband who was also shedding silent tears. Working at such an emotional place was stressful, but that was part of the job. I looked down at my hands and kept on walking, hoping to erase these painful memories from my mind. Remembering such sad things would only bring a worse feeling to my heart ad stomach.

   I took out my phone once I reached Jinae unnies office, and immediately called Youngbae. He, as he said in the morning too, was supposed to pick me up after work. 

   "Yoboseyo?" he answered. I was surprised that he picked up my call, especially at the third ring.

   "Oppa," I mumbled as I put the white coat on the hanger. "I already finished. Can you pick me up now?" I hears him sigh, and mess around with something in front of him. Was that an actual book closing? 

   "Mianhe, Mone yah," he mumbled. "I'm actually studying in the library. Appa might be able to pick you up, but he might be training someone." I sighed and ran a hand through my hair, picking up my bag from the side and walking out of the office.

   "You never have time for me," I groaned. "What happened to the Jung Youngbae that used to tell me that I was his number one girl other than his mom?" I sounded like a girlfriend instead of a cousin, but I was hurt. Youngbae told me that he would always be there for me, ever since we were children - he lied though.

   "Ya, Mone!" he yelled. "Mianhaeyo. Jjeongmal mianhe, but I am really studying at the moment and finishing a Korean history paper over the Goryeo Dynasty. I'll make it up to you sometime this week." I rolled my eyes and walked out of the hospital with a frown on my face.

   "Forget it," I muttered. "I'll call Yongguk oppa and ask him to pick me up. Don't do anything, Youngbae." I ended the call and stuck my tongue out at the phone, imagining that it was Jung Youngbae. I decided to take a bus towards Gangnam-gu, and then call Yongguk.

 
--------♥-------- 
 

   My phone began to ring when I was in the bus, and I wad surprised when I saw the callers ID. Jongup's face illuminated my screen has his number appeared right above him.

   "Yoboseyo?" I answered. 

   "Mone noona!" he yelled. I moved the phone away from my ear, chuckling at the sudden sound that pierced my eardrum. "Noona, when are you coming home?"

   "Oh," I looked down at my watch and sighed. "I don't know... I'm taking a bus home at the moment, maybe in about thirty minutes to an hour? Wae?"

   "Noona!" Junhong's voice rang through my ear. I laughed softly, and felt a bigger smile spread across my face. Jongup and Junhong were the two younger boys that would never fail to make me smile. 

   "Junhong!" I chuckled. "What are you two planning now?"

   "Nothing!" they shouted in unison. I rolled my eyes and leaned back on my seat. I looked around me, seeing a few teenage girls starring at me and whispering things.

   "Noona, will you come by our apartment when you get home?" Jongup asked, a smile clearly audible. "We're hungry and none of the hyungs are home yet. Would you cook for us?"

   "Ya, Jongup!" I groaned. "Why don't you order some food? I was busy all day at the hospital."

   "Aniyo, noona!" they laughed. "Just come make us some food!"

   The line went dead.

   I looked down at the phone, and then smiled. In a few seconds, I remembered that I should have told them to call Yongguk and tell him to pick me up. Groaning to myself, I ran a hand through my hair and then leaned back on my seat. I seriously needed a car, since I didn't want to bother Yongguk anymore. I sounded like a girlfriend instead of simply a friend. I chuckled at myself, and looked out of the window. There was a boy riding a black motorcycle besides the bus. A cool posture as he leaned forward and held on to the clutch. A black helmet decorated his head, complementing the black leather jacket he had over his shoulders. Out of nowhere he held the clutch tighter, and sped off. I turned my head back to the dull green seat in front of me, and noticed that three teenage girls were right in front of me.

   "Ahjumma," one of them called. 

   "What?" I scoffed. "Ahjumma? I'm twenty-two." I made a face and leaned back on my chair, sending a quick message to Yongguk.

   "Are you sure?" The other girl asked as she smirked. "You look older than that." As the bus stopped, I stood and walked out. The group of four girls continued following me down the bus, which I assumed was also their stop. I could hear their soft chuckling and chattering from the few feet that I stood away from them. I was tempted to turn around and say a few rude things about them, but the sound of a car stopping beside us stopped me from saying anything. I turned my head to see the guy that I knew a bit too well step out of the car. He took of the black glasses that were covering his eyes, and sent me a gummy smile that I love seeing. 
 
   "Yongguk oppa?" I smiled and walked over to him. He grinned and leaned over towards me, immediately grasping my hand in his. Out of nowhere, his lips touched my cheek and I stopped moving, maybe even breathing. My hand tinged, wanting to touch the place where his lips landed.
 
   "Jagi," he chuckled. "Why weren't you picking up your phone? I was trying to call you so I could pick you up from work- Oh, who are these girls, jagi?" I turned my head to look at the girls, and stuck my tongue out at them. Childish. I was being too childish.

   "No one," I said. What was he doing? Curiosity surged through me as Yongguk's hand rested on the small of my back and he pulled me closer to him. I looked down, feeling the heat radiate from my cheeks to the back of my ears."They're no one. Oppa, can you take me home?" 
 
   "Of course," He pulled me to the other side of his car, and opened the door like a gentleman. After he got in, he began to laugh as he drove away. I crossed my arms and pouted. "Why were you fighting with teenage girls?" he laughed.

   "I wasn't fighting!" I defended myself. "They called me ahjumma and I simply said that I was not one. Then they followed me off the bus." I shrugged my shoulders and looked over at him with a curious grin. "What were you doing here? You appeared at the right timing, just when I needed you to be specific." He bit his lip, and ran a hand over his smooth blond hair.
 
   "I had a job to do close by, and I saw you walking down the street." He looked over at me and nodded. "Now, I'm guessing you left from work and were heading home, aren't I right? But you're cousin was too busy to even pick you up." A laugh escaped his lips as he leaned his head back. "You seriously need a car, Mone." 
 
   I made a face. "I know," I groaned. "I'm well aware of that- Oppa, why is that car following you?" I could see the slick blavk car following close behind Yongguk's, probably attempting to do some kind of damage to his car.
 
   "," Yongguk hissed. He stepped on the gas, causing the car to go faster. He moved between cars and pedestrians, almost hitting a mother and her child on his way of running away. "Just hang on, Mone. Ignore that I'm driving in such a speed."

   "How can I ignore that you're driving ninety miles per hour, Yongguk!" I yelled at him. "You're going to kill us! Ya! Stop going so fast!"

   "That's better than dying by their hands!" He yelled back at me. I adverted my eyes from him and to the car behind us, raising a brow. "Just, look at your phone or something! Play a game!" I could see the marks on his forehead as he furrowed his brows, and that was when I decided. I took one of his hands in mine, causing him to look over at me for a brief second before looking back at the road.

   "I'm in the car with you," I began. "I can't ignore the fact that you're going about fifty miles over the speed limit and you have a car chasing you. I'll do whatever you say, just stop stressing. I don't want to die without getting married first!" He snorted a laugh, and shook his head. At least I made him smile. 

   I bit my lower lip and looked back through the cars mirror. The black car was nowhere to be seen, but Yongguk kept on with his fast speed. We were in the country at the moment, and it surprised me that he left Seoul - but I didn't question him. He knew what he was doing, by the look on his face, so why would I question it. 
 
   "Himchan," his voice broke me out of my thoughts. I looked over to see Yongguk talking on the phone meanwhile he slowed the car down to forty. "bring the boys to the house in Asan. They were following me meanwhile I was taking Mone home... Ne, please bring clothes for her." I looked away from him and stared through the widow at the rolling grasslands. "You already know what to do when things like this happen, just go with what we planned. Ne, I'll see you later." I turned my head to look back at him, and saw the same frustrated look in his face. "Mianhe, Mone. I shouldn't have brought you into this problem."

   "Don't worry about it," I tried to grin and pull my hand away from my face. I didn't know what exact problem was he speaking about, but curiosity didn't stop surging through me. "I can finally have a few days of vacation, right?" I chuckled and looked back at the scenery.

   "I'm serious, Jung Mone," Yongguk muttered. "I shouldn't have brought you into this! I shouldn't have gotten close you in the past few weeks! I shouldn't have picked you up when I had just finished with one of their men... Goddamn it, I'm stupid!" He hit the steering wheel, his other hand gripping it tightly. I knew right then that his job was something dangerous, but what exactly? "I'm really sorry, Mone." Yongguk sighed.