XX. The Apprenticeship

On A Rainy Day

   The day after Dr. Lee died, I quit my job at the hospital. It was found suspicious, so the police asked me to meet them at the precinct so they could ask me questions. Himchan drove me to the precinct, all while telling me that I had to come up with something. I pushed out the actress in me and began to spew out lies to him. He would listen, nod, and then tell me to do it again until he believed me. Over and over again did I come up with a lie to tell the detectives that were in the case of Dr. Lee's murder. Himchan believed me when I began to cry as if I didn't know of Dr. Lee's death, when I became flustered over the news and began to jumble my words in surprise.

   "Good," he said. "Just do exactly that."

   "What if they change their strategy?" I asked, wiping away the tears beneath my eyes. "What if they ask other questions?"

   "Mone, just do what we just practiced," he said. "If they change what we practiced, just do the same thing but a different variation." He turned to me when he stopped the car and gave me a small smile. "Consider this your first test of being with us."

   "Is lying to a detective considered a test?" I quietly asked, glancing out the window. Police officers walked in and out of the building, patrol cars passed by us, and my heart raced with each passing moment. It wasn't the good kind that happened when I was with Yongguk, or when I thought about the kiss that had happened. 

   "You can say," Himchan said with a soft chuckle. "You'll do fine. I'll be out here waiting for you, okay?"

   "It might take a few hours," I said, unbuckling my seatbelt. 

   "Then if I'm not in the car, you can find me at that cafe," he said. He pointed at the cafe across the street with his chin. "I'm used to watching people for a long amount of time."

   I nodded, took a deep breath, and got out the car. For a few seconds, I stood in front of the building with the thoughts running through my head. What I practiced with Himchan ran through my head, and I continued to silently practice it as I walked up the step and went in the building. I held on to the strap of my purse tightly as I stood in front of the officer up front. He ate a burger as he wrote on a piece of paper, eyes casted down as he possibly ignored me.

   I cleared my throat. "I'm looking for Detective Kim," I said. It was the detective that called me, his 

   The officer looked up. He sighed, laid the burger down, and walked away. He came back a few seconds later with a man behind him. The man introduced himself as Detective Kim Seokjin. He was an attractive man, with a small smile that left one breathless when he smiled. He led me to his desk, and motioned to the seat in front of him for me to take a seat. Slowly, I sat and glanced around, feeling uncomfortable. I had never been surrounded by so many officers, which meant I had never lied to one. I felt so uncomfortable that my hands began to shake on my lap.

   "Your name is Jung Mone, yes?" he asked, glancing from the papers in front of him towards me.

   I nodded. "Yes," I said. "I'm Jung Mone."

   "A few days ago, you quit your job at Ehwa Medical Center in Mokdong," he continued. "Why?"

   "I'm moving to the States," I said, giving him a quick smile. It was what Himchan and I had practiced in the car. The same words left my mouth with ease, with gentleness, and I hoped he believed me. "I'm looking to continue my studies at the University of California. My friend said it was an amazing school to study medicine." I gave him another smile, one that appeared confused. "I'm sorry, but, may I ask why I'm here? Is it because I quit so suddenly?"

   Detective Kim shook his head, and frowned. "No," he said. "I'm sorry to tell you this, Dr. Jung, but Dr. Lee was found dead in his office the day before you quit."

   At that moment, I acted like I had done in the car with Himchan. I made myself cry. "W-what?" I fanned myself to stop myself from crying, but that obviously didn't stop. The nerves got the best of me and I continued to tear up, my hands shaking harder on my lap. "Dr. Lee's dead?"

   Detective Kim nodded. "I'm sorry," he said, sighing. "But, we need to ask this: where were you the day before you quit at 01:18PM?"

   That time was after Woo Jiho killed Dr. Lee, because I had seen it on my phone before I called Yongguk. I frowned and looked down at my hands, feeling overwhelmed with all these questions. But, I couldn't act strange, I needed to be strong and answer just like Himchan taught me. I looked up and let out a sigh. "I was in the office," I answered.

   Detective Kim looked back down at his papers. "Dr. Oh said you left the office to bring some papers to Dr. Lee."

   I nodded. "I did," I said. "I left to bring some papers to Dr. Lee, but then I went to the restroom."

   Detective Kim nodded and passed a hand through his hair, looking tired. It appeared that he had been working on the case ever since he got it. He glanced over at me and gave me an even smaller smile. "Were you and Dr. Lee close?"

   "No," I immediately said. "The only relationship we had was being co-workers. The only time I ever saw him out of the hospital was when our coulleges would get together."

   "Ah," he nodded. "I'm sorry that I look so tired. I've been questioning people all day." He let out a small laugh and rubbed his eyes.

   I let out a small laugh as well, trying to sound as friendly as possible. Yet, I continued to keep the sadness on my face. "Why have you been questioning the whole day? Are you working on another case?"

   "No," he smiled. "The cameras at the hospital stopped working last week. So, I'm left to questioning people with my partner. Speaking about that bastard." He leaned back on his chair and grinned at the man that came up and slammed a folder on the desk. "Ya, Kim Taehyung, what's your problem?"

   "Gang affiliation," the man said, smiling. "I think our Dr. Lee wasn't as innocent as we all thought. He must have taken money from them a few years ago, because his bank account suddenly went up ₩20,000."

   "Are you serious?" Detective Kim asked, his mouth falling into a wide grin. "So, this is probably gang related." He turned to me and cleared his throat, scratching the back of his head as if he were embarrassed. "Uh, thank you for your time, Miss Jung."

   I stood and bowed my head. "Thank you," I said. "I hope you find Dr. Lee's killer." I smiled at the man that was named Kim Taehyung, then walked away. Once outside of the precinct, I took a deep breath and glanced around for Himchan.

   "Miss Jung!"

   I turned my head back to see Detective Kim walking towards me with his hand behind his head, scratching it lightly with a small smile. My heart began to beat wildly as he came closer. Did he find out my secret? Did he somehow see through me? When he stood in front of me, I smiled at him. "Uh, did I forget something?"

   "No," he chuckled. "I just wanted..." He cleared his throat and let out a soft laugh as he glanced down. Out of nowhere, his hands appeared in front of me with a small card. "It's my number. In case anything happens."

   I took the card and stared down at it:

Seoul Metropolitan Police
Kim Taehyung
​Detective | Optional Line
(010) XXX -
XXXX

​   "Oh, thank you," I said, smiling. I pushed the card inside my purse and bowed my head once again, before walking down the steps and towards Himchan's car. Luckily, he was still sitting inside with his eyes still locked on the detective. I got inside the car and took a deep breath.

   Himchan turned to me. "What's his name?"

   "Kim Taehyung," I said, glancing at him before looking back at the front. "He asked what we practices, nothing different."

   "What did he give you?"

   "His business card." I pulled out the card and handed it to him. "Although, I think he was just flirting."

   Himchan grabbed it and stared at it for a couple of seconds. "Kim Taehyung," he repeated, as if he wanted to remember the name. "I haven't heard of him before. He must be new."

   I let out a soft, forced laugh and shook my head. "Do you keep tabs on every detective."

   "It doesn't hurt to know the names of those who might look for you in the future," he said as he pushed the card in the small space between the radio and the drink holders. "That way, Mone, it will be much easier to blackmail them."

   "Blackmail?" I asked, the word sounding wrong and strange. "Why... Why would you do that?!"

   Himchan let out a laugh and shook his head. "It's the only way to stop someone looking for you," he said. "That, or it's the way to make someone look harder." He glanced over at me and gave me a small smile. "You did good, Mone. I'll take you home."