Sport

Soo Min Ah : Luhan's Assistant

A/N : I couldn't agree more, Yeol Ra defines annoying. Anyway, hope you guys enjoy this kinda long chapter.

And as always, your comment is love. <3

 

CHAPTER 19 : Sport

 

MINA’S POV

I was going to die in a tin box. I was actually going to die without having done even a single thing in my bucket list. By the time I had stopped pounding, the water had already reached my chest. I shivered in cold, thinking that I could drown any moment.

I started to think of what I had done in my life. I realized that I haven’t even called my mom this week. And now, I might never get the chance to tell her how thankful I am to have her. My thoughts have completely clouded my emotions, I cried my heart out. I decided that if I ever get out of this tragedy alive, I was going to fix everything with everyone… With my mom, with Woo Jin, with Luhan…

In an instant, the sound of a loud thud came crashing in. This is it, I thought, the elevator cab’s cords had probably been cut off. I closed my eyes as I listened to the end, banging and creaking noises - as the elevator slowly rocked. My pulse quickened, I was really going to die.

“Mina!” I heard a muffled voice from the outside.

A light of hope ignited in me, “I’m here! I’m here!” I pounded the elevator door savagely.

In an instant, I heard metal tools being struck against the door. I went to the far side of the elevator and after a few seconds, a crowbar was jammed in between the small opening and a glint of light finally shone through.

I moved forward, tears in my face, “I’m right here.”

A man leaned onto the small opening and took a peek. The reflection of the light that was coming out from outside covered his face for a while, until I realized who it was.

“I’m getting you out of there, I promise.” Luhan said.

I completely lost control, Luhan had come to rescue me, “Luhan, Luhan-” A lot of things ran through my mind, I wanted to say thank you, I wanted to apologize, but in the end, all I could say was his name, “Luhan.”

After a few minutes, a couple of maintenance guys had helped Luhan break the door wide enough for me to get out. Shaking, I walked towards the small opening. I was so scared that the doors might suddenly close on me, and Luhan probably saw that. He reached his hand out, and when our palms met, I squeezed it tightly.

“Come on,” He pulled me slowly, “You’re alright.”

When I had finally gotten out, I saw some of the office workers and the guards watching in terror. I paid no attention to them and continued holding Luhan’s hand. He took off his coat, and wrapped it around me, smoothing my back up and down, “You’re fine now.” He held me by the shoulders, “Let’s get you home.” With me on his side, he faced the guard, “I’ll be talking to management to make sure you get fired.” I trembled by how icy his voice was.

Numerous eyes kept looking at us as we headed out of the building. Though I knew I was already safe, I kept holding onto Luhan. The fear still had me shaken up, even when we got to my apartment. Luhan sat by my dining table, while I excused myself to go to the bathroom.

“Are you sure you’re going to be okay?” he asked. When I nodded, he assured me, “I’ll be right here.”

I looked like a disaster. My hair was messy, my entire clothes were drenching, and my face was drained out of color. I turned the shower temperature to scalding hot, hoping that the shiver and the trauma I felt would simply be washed away. But all I could think about was how nothing seemed to be going right.

When I finally got out, I saw Luhan making tea. I sat by the table silently as he handed me a cup.

“Thank you.” I said plainly, “I don’t mean to be rude… but I’d like to be alone now, if that’s okay.”

He hesitated, “I really think I should stay.”

“I’ll be fine. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

He walked to the door, seeing as how he was not going to win this fight. When he had left, the tears that I have been trying to fight fell down, a knot formed in my stomach when I thought that I could’ve died out there today. The truth was that I didn’t want to be alone, but having Luhan with me, especially after what had been happening the past few days, made things complicated.

 

 

LUHAN’S POV

I didn’t want to leave Mina’s side, not after what happened. It was too obvious that she was trying her best to act composed, though I knew better, and that’s what made me worry most. But in the end, I decided to drive back to the company and see what really happened, and who’s to blame.

When I got to the entrance, I was immediately received by the head of security.

“I apologize for the events of tonight sir. The flooding on the garage level has caused the elevator malfunction, and our guards were fixing the ruptured pipelines when the unfortunate event happened.”

I scoffed at how professional and technical he made it sound, “If this weren’t my company, I’d be suing your .”

Speechless, he let me pass through. I saw him take a jump at the guards, scolding them, making sure that they felt the same embarrassment he did. Somebody had to get fired for this mishap, and I was going to make sure of that. I took the stairs to the management office, surprised that some were still working. I asked for Mr. Kim right away.

“Did you know she was stuck at the elevator?” I confronted him. “And the guards didn’t even know what was happening!”

“I’m very disappointed too Luhan, but there is nothing we can do.” He gestured me to sit down.

I remained still, “There is. Fire that guard who took the shift tonight.” I went on, “Or better yet, change the entire security agency.”

“Do we really have to go that far? I mean she is, after all, just your assista-”

“She was stuck there for almost an hour,” I pressed my hand on his table, “she almost drowned. I am not taking no for an answer.”

He gave up, “I’ll see what I can do.”

I turned my heel and walked out the door. Mr. Kim is my boss, but I was still the company’s artist, and there was no way I would let what just happened slide. The rage that was in me was inexplicable, and as if things couldn’t get worse, I stumbled across Yeol Ra outside the office.

“I’m so sorry Luhan,” she placed her hand on my shoulder, “I didn’t mean to hurt anyone.”

I shrugged her off quickly “Do something like that again, and I swear to God,” I clenched my teeth, “I will destroy you.”

I saw her tremble upon hearing my warning. But the fear she was feeling was in no way a match to what Mina felt. I was okay with her little tricks and schemes here and there, but this time she had gone overboard - she had almost cost someone’s life. I brushed by her shoulders forcefully, and left, afraid that my anger might make me do something severe.

By the time I had arrived home, it was already past midnight. I had expected everyone to be asleep, but instead they were all waiting by the sofa. They bombarded me with questions if Mina was okay and when I finally got everybody to calm down, we all went to our rooms. I glanced at my phone and saw Mina’s name appear. I quickly sat up to read her message,

Sir I just wanted to tell you that you have a rehearsal tomorrow night at the company.

A smile formed on my lips, she had spent an hour stuck on the elevator, she had almost drowned, and yet she had time to text me about my schedule. I replied,

Don’t bother coming tomorrow, stay in bed.

 

 

MINA’S POV

It was already noon when I woke up. The events of last night had rendered me completely fatigued. Luhan told me that I should stay in and I knew I had to. Except it had been too long since I rested leisurely at home, not working with Luhan felt a bit… lonely. I spent the entire day organizing Luhan’s schedule making sure that every appointment was called for. Just around night time, I remembered that he was meeting his father, and like on signal, an urgent call from Mr. Kim came.

“Mina-ssi, are you with Luhan?” he asked, panicked.

Luhan hasn’t contacted me all day, what was happening? “No sir, I’m not with him. Is something wrong?”

“He went here like we planned, but when he saw his father, he just stormed off. And now, no one knows where he is.”

My insides churned in worry, “I’ll go there now sir. Please call me if you have any news.”

I hung up. I didn’t even bother putting a jacket on as I ran to the street and hailed a cab. Nothing bad will happen, I repeated to myself. I’ve never been more consumed in anxiety. But the resolve inside me was strong, I was not letting anything happen to Luhan.

When I arrived at the company, I quickly headed to the rehearsal area. I rode the elevator holding my breath. My hands were shaking as I pressed the button of the third level. Now is not the time to be scared, Luhan needs me, I thought. After excruciating minutes inside the metal box, I got inside the room and just as Mr. Kim had said, Luhan was not there. Instead it was his father, who had slouched on the floor, covering his face with his hands. I approached him cautiously,

“Sir?”

“I’m sorry. Are you going to use the room?”

“No sir.” I helped him get up, “I’m Luhan’s assistant, Soo Mina.”

He smiled, “Mr. Kim told me about you… Luhan, uhm… he’s a good kid, may be mean sometimes,” he looked far away as if deep in thought, “but he’s a good kid. Please take care of him.”

I nodded and said the words he wanted to hear, “Luhan’s been nothing but nice sir, I will… take care of him.”

He trudged slowly as he headed to the door. I knew I shouldn’t open my mouth. And I knew it wasn’t my place to say anything, but the image of my own father clouded my mind, and I couldn’t think of anything more painful than to lose a loved one.

“Mr. Han?” I called out, “I know I’m probably going overboard with this… And I don’t know what happened between you two. But I know that you will reconcile, someday… soon. So please, don’t stop reaching out to him…”

I lowered my head as he moved closer. I was expecting a scolding, I had just undermined an elder. But instead, he glanced at me with tear-brightened eyes, then strayed subtly as he thought back to the past, “He was just 9 when it all happened. His mother, the only woman I’ve ever loved… His mother became impatient, you see, I spent almost all of our married days focused on work in all parts of the world. I would come home maybe once or twice a year, but that was it. Every single time, I would play soccer with Luhan. Best days of my year.” His voice shook, “Till one day I did something I regret even now, I hurt her mom out of anger… And he saw that. And after that, he started counting the days that I was never there for the family. His hatred of me grew, he was already so distant. When he had a chance to leave for Korea, he took it, just to get away from me. And now we haven’t spoken in years.”

I felt tears welling in my eyes, “I’m so sorry, Mr. Han. I’m so sorry.”

After a moment of painful silence, he forced a smile, “All I can do now is wait till my only son forgives me.” His eyes were hopeful as he went on, “Go find him Mina-ssi, I’m sure he needs someone to talk to more than I do.”

I did as Mr. Han said and when I got out of the company, I hailed a cab as quickly as I could breathe, then headed to the EXO dormitory. When I got there, the members told me that Luhan still hasn’t come home. They decided to help me look for him, and call me if anything comes up. I couldn’t take any more chances. I swept the entire neighborhood, the parks, the cafes, the bars. But he was nowhere. I was drenched in the bus stop with nowhere else to look.

Until it hit me. I ran as fast as I could though my legs wobbled in coldness. It took minutes and miles, till I finally reached the place, panting in exhaustion. And there he was right in the middle of the huge green field.

“Luhan!” I shouted.

He turned his head towards me and his eyes widened in shock. I approached him immediately. I couldn’t care less if he was going to scold me. I found him, and that’s what mattered.

“How did you find me?”

I caught my breath, “I know you play soccer when you’re angry.”

His guard went up, “I’m not -angry.” He furrowed his brows, “You look like you ran a marathon. Sit down.”

I sat by the grass and he positioned himself beside me. My breathing was still heavy, my eyes were spinning and he probably noticed that, “Where the hell did you run from?”

“From- the- dorm” I stuttered.

He chuckled, “You ran from the dorm to here? That’s not… humanlike.”

I nodded in agreement. I didn’t even think it was possible, but apparently when you are worried to death, your adrenaline shoots up to the roof, making you run crazy ten miles without passing out. “I was worried, it just happened.”

He laughed once more before the silence completely enveloped us. I took the risk and opened up the subject, “I saw your dad…” his face tensed at once, “I know I shouldn’t say this but I think-”

“Don’t” his voice was stern, “Don’t go there.”

I faced him, I wasn’t backing down, “You don’t know what you’re giving up Luhan.”

“You don’t know what happened.”

“I do,” I reasoned, “He told me.”

He clenched his fists, “Then you should know that he doesn’t deserve forgiveness, not from me.”

A thought hit me, “Luhan, why do you think you come here to ease your anger? Why the soccer field of all places?” I paused, “Because this is the only place where the memory of you and your father lives. Playing with him when you were a kid - this is a good memory for you.”

He clenched his teeth and looked away, I knew he was in the verge of crying. But I wanted to get through to him. I needed to understand him.

“You don’t know what I feel.” He gazed at me, and the look in his eyes pained me even more than I imagined.

“I do.” I started to feel the tears fall down, “Luhan, my dad died two years ago…” Surprise ran across his face, “I would give anything - anything to have him back. If anyone would know what it feels like to lose a loved one, it would be me. And you don’t want that… you say you can’t forgive him now because he’s still out there, reachable at anytime… But when he’s gone, you’ll realize that none of his faults matter… So please, just let it go… Don’t suffer the same regrets I did…”

He closed his eyes, and from his side, I could see a bead of tear falling down. I couldn’t resist it then, I pressed my thumb lightly on his face, and wiped his tears away. My heart pounded violently when he caught my hand and clutched it tightly. I didn’t know what was to happen next, till he took the ball on his right with his free hand and swung it towards my head.

It hit my forehead and I screamed, “Ouch!”

When I looked at him, he was rolling in laughter. God this man is really bipolar.

Luhan stood up and took the ball from the ground and kicked it fiercely, “What are you sitting down for? Don’t you want to take revenge?”

I took the challenge and ran after the ball. I kicked it side to side, as he approached me, guarding each of my move. I wondered how he could be so close without physically touching me. In one quick swift, I maneuvered the ball towards my right but his left foot struck my ankle causing me to lay flat on the ground. He tripped on the ball and ended up on top of me. A loud crash rung on my ears as our bodies met, “Ah!” we both cried in pain.

He placed both of his hands on my either side to support him, then a smile played around his lips. I couldn’t help but smile too. I jerked a little, signaling him to stand up but he didn’t budge. He remained still, his eyes piercing mine. What the hell is he doing? I wondered. Slowly, his gaze moved from my eyes to my cheeks then to my lips. I swallowed heavily, my pulse quickening in dangerous levels. His face moved closer… and closer… until he had completely blocked the lights of the arena from my eyesight. I could feel his warm breath in the last mere inch that separated us.

I closed my eyes. Damn the consequences, I thought.