A Failing Heart (Part Two)

Open Hearted

Not really a continuation of chapter 2 (Donghae's installment), but more like his POV.

"You're about 23~26 years old, and you have some kind of heart disease. You've been in and out of the hospital since high school, so you don't have a GED or diploma, and you're in the hospital now waiting for a donor heart. Your hobby is sketching. Donghae is your doctor, this is an alternate universe where Donghae is not a part of Super Junior, but Donghwa is. And yes, they're brothers in this story, too, just you fail to realize it somehow. Donghae (the choding) is your doctor, what did you do wrong in your last life~? And yes, even if Bonamana technically came out in 2010, Jaedelle is bending facts and saying it came out in 2012-2013ish for this."

Reader discretion advised for language and suicide content.

 

A Failing Heart (Part Two)

 

Tearing through numerous charts and medical records that I'd snuck out of the hospital, I rub my neck as I cross-checked everything with my personal studies and other medical journals. I pull at my hair and a small, exasperated scream escapes from my clenched teeth as my brother pokes his head into my room.

"Mum says she'll turn your into samgyeopsal if you don't come eat something, squirt," Donghwa-hyung says softly, tugging my hands away from my hair. "Donghae, stop it. You'll go bald if you keep at it."

But I can't let her die.

He sighs as I shift my attention back to the massive pile of books and papers splayed all over my floor and desk. "You'll get stupid if you don't eat or sleep. And you'll lose all your hair before I do," Hyung says wryly, dragging my wheeled stool out the door when I wouldn't budge.

"Hyung--"

"I don't want to eat Donghae's bald- samgyeopsal."

 

I poke my head around the corner, spying on my favorite patient; she's sketching while watching the TV monitor, and a smile finds its way to my ears.

"What kind of present should I buy, buy, buy, buy for you? Oh, I'm going crazy just thinking of how you'll be happy."

She's sketching my brother, I think . . . But maybe it looks more like me. I wish it was me. Watching my brother on TV is about all the fun she's had since being in and out of here for the last few years because of her rare heart condition.

"Listen, Girl."

"I like you."

"Baby girl."

"I love you."

"I'm the only man for you."

"Please listen to my confession."

"Hey, you're pretty good," She jumps slightly as my stethoscope cord suddenly enters her line of vision, swinging just under her adorable nose. "So you like him the best, eh? Me too." I say, smiling after switching her medications. I can't help but chuckle as she slams her sketchbook shut and scolds me. I wish I was your favorite, too. A twinge of jealousy towards my brother bubbles up in my chest, making me feel nauscious, but I ignore it.

"Teacher, please don't sneak up on me like that," She stammers, sweeping stray strands of that beautiful dark hair behind her round ears. You're like complete and beautiful . . .

"What kind of present should I buy, buy, buy, buy for you? Oh, I'm going crazy just thinking of how you'll be happy," I sang, mimicking my hyung. Oh . . . I don't have a rose or any magic trick prepared . . . So I offered her my stethoscope.

She smiles and laughs like an angel, and I feel my knees almost buckle as her eyes start to droop. My heart just keeps beating painfully in my chest as I glance over at her monitor, it was slowly dropping again. And she frowns at me.

"Cheer up, kiddo," I say, ruffling up that hair that was still miraculously soft after such a long stay in the hospital. And I can't help but laugh when she glares and scolds me again.

"Teacher, you messed up my hair," she growls, furiously trying to put every strand back in its proper place.

"Again," I say, completing her sentence. "I'll stop when you stop making me feel old by calling me 'teacher.' I'm younger than your Donghwa-oppa, you know. So you should call me o--" Why is my heart making me say such stupid things?

"Lee Donghae-ajusshi," she accents the word 'ajusshi,' and I frown. I'm not as close to thirty as my brother and s, so why am I an ajusshi? I watch her fix her hair for a few moments before breaking into Sorry, Sorry just to see her smile once more. Why does my heart make me a fool? I feel my heart race when she places a hand on my arm to stop me from further embarrassing myself, and fight the words that are so close to exploding from my lips. I love you.

"Teacher--" She begins. I love you . . . I reach for her hair and she swats at my arm. "Donghae-oppa . . ."

"Yes~?"

"You really look like Donghwa-oppa, and maybe it's because I'm sick . . ."

Why does my heart hate my brother every time you say his name instead of mine? Jealousy hits me in the chest again. "Of course, it's because I'm handsome."

"No, you really do look and sound like him, maybe I'm going crazy . . ."

"Or you're just a bit tired," I say as gently as I can as jealousy threatens to make me a fool. I tuck her in, wishing that she'd think more of me as she sleeps, but I know that she will likely dream about hyung. Why does my heart hurt when I think? "But yeah, I get that a lot, even from our mum." If I were Donghwa, would you love me?

"Did you get some work done to look like him or something?" She mumbles, her eyes drooping more and more.

"Why would I get work done to look like my brother?" I ask, but she's already gone. I pull the stool closer to her bedside and brush hair away from that soft, snow-white skin, and something splashes onto her hollowed cheek as I think, oh, she looks so peaceful right now. I touch my face and realize I'm crying and stare at the ceiling until the tears stop.

"I swear, I won't let you die . . ." And I pray to God for the first time since I decided to become a doctor all those years ago.

"Teacher?" An intern raps lightly on the door frame, bowing and greeting me before handing me a clipboard with some papers. "These are the labs that you requested . . ."

I flip through them, and . . .

"Teacher, may I ask which patient's labs these are?" he asks.

And I flip several more pages.

"Teacher?"

"Hm? Oh . . . um . . . they're hers."

"Really? The testosterone levels in the blood samples suggest it's from a male patient . . ."

Hastily, I return the labs to the intern and excuse myself. "I gotta go check up on the others. Thanks, man."

 

"What the are you blabbering about, Lee Donghae?" The hospital director screeches at me, throwing my resignation letter down at the desk infront of me and rising.

"I would like to resign and become a football athlete," I say, smiling innocently.

"Bull. You're one of our best--a medical genius and prodigy--and you want to do what?"

"I want to be an athlete, it was my dream since I was a young boy."

I watch the director pace behind his desk for bit, massaging his temples. I'm sorry for lying to you like this, teacher . . . He glares at me and I swallow hard, looking away.

"You always look away when you lie," he sighs, seating himself again. "I'll give you some more time to think about it, Dr. Lee. And I'll let you go under two conditions."

I look up, raising an eyebrow. "And those are?"

"One, you tell me why you had that new intern send your blood samples and records to the lab. And two, don't do anything overtly foolish or dangerous."

 

Well, today's my last day here . . . I thought as I poked my head around the corner. With quick strides, I join my sunbaes around my favorite patient and we briefly discuss the possibilities and her current state.

After claps on the back and saying our good-byes and wishing each other well, they leave the two of us. I blink away the tears as she stirs and looks around, forcing a smile onto my face. I don't know what I'm saying, my heart makes me say so many stupid things nowadays, but I can't stop my arms from turning her away from the heart monitor and wanting to hold her tightly forever.

"I swear I will find a heart for you. I won't let you die." And I love you. And when my heart feels like it's about to burst and my smile hurts, I leave.

 

"Yah! Donghae!" Hyung chases me to the parking lot.

"What?" I say, smiling innocently and looking away as he narrows his eyes. I unlock my car door, reaching for the handle as his fist flies past my face and hits my car and he pins me to my own vehicle.

"Why?"

"'Why' what?" I ask innocently, still smiling. I flinch as hyung grabs my chin and forces my head up. I look into his dark brown eyes and facial features that were so similar to my own and that jealousy vaporizes as I realize how much I'll miss my brother.

"You know what," he growls, letting me go and pacing a bit to calm down. He runs a hand through that dark hair after abandoning his black beanie, tugging at it lightly.

"Hyung, you'll go bald if you do that," I tease, earning a wry smile from him.

"Men from the Lee family are hairy," Hyung huffs. "Except you. You don't even have leg hair, so worry about yourself, squirt."

"I do, too!"

He ruffles my hair and wraps a strong arm around my shoulders and I shiver, hoping he didn't notice. And he didn't.

"So, why'd you quit your job?"

"Just because."

And he drags me around, walking around the parking lot. "I know that isn't it."

"It is." It's because it's too painful. It makes my heart hurt in strange ways.

"It isn't."

". . ."

"Well?"

"I quit because it's making me sad," I say at last, hoping that he was satisfied with this answer and would let me go.

He looks at me, ruffling my hair again before stopping infront of my car. "Ok." He releases me, and I hop into the driver's seat. Just as I start the engine, he knocks on the window and says, "You're my baby brother, squirt. Don't forget." I'm sorry.

"Nn," I reply, digging through the glove compartment for something. Finding it, I hand my last letter to him. "Don't read that until I turn out, ok? I'll feel emabrrassed if you read it infront of me." He reaches in and ruffles my hair again, smiling worriedly. "I love you, hyung." And I drove away. My vision gets blurry as I see his shrinking image in my rear view, but I quickly sped out of the lot and make my way to the freeway . . .

While driving, I crank up the stereo, playing my brother's song:

You're like complete and beautiful, I just can't be without you girl.

You're like completely beautiful, I just can't live without you girl.

I think of what we were like when we first met,

your bashful smile, your shy words, your cold hands--

And I can feel my tears streaming down as I hear my tires screeching.

I couldn't do anything, almost going crazy.

That's right; I couldn't do anything for her. I remember everything about her as my eyelids grow heavier and heavier . . .

I love you.

 

END

20131004 - Jaedelle felt bad because (so far) Donghae was the only member that died in his installment, so I gave him another one ._. In the mood to write instead of doing anything productive~~ Sorry about the typos  .__________. I hate how effeminate I made Donghae seem, but Jaedelle at narratives .________.