Daddy's Sun

Daughter Troubles

Seunghyun’s standing in front of the mirror running his fingers over that one particularly stubborn patch of eyebrow which won’t go the right way, casual curses escape him at the sight, and he sighs at the reflection in his bedroom mirror. Yuna stirs in response to the hushed noises and climbs from her bed, though Seunghyun doesn’t see her so he nearly pokes himself in the eye when her delicate arms try to wrap around her daddy’s middle.

“What do you think?” Seunghyun asks as Yuna loosens her grip and stands next to the mirror, observing her father’s outfit from afar. He shuffles a few steps backwards, readjusting the little golden bow whilst he nervously waits for the final verdict.

“Appa’s a prince!” Yuna cheerily answers and her little hands clap together. Seunghyun sighs again but it’s for a different reason now, he can’t help but grin even though he still feels like a total plank.

“And who’s my little princess huh?” Seunghyun runs over to Yuna and lifts her from the floor in one big swing. She giggles at the feeling, squishing her father’s protruding cheeks together once they stop moving.

“I want to look good like you!” Yuna pinches his cheeks too and despite the acute pain Seunghyun still smiles.

“No, you want to look like you because you’re my beautiful baby girl. Now come on Jiyong’s waiting, we need to get you packed up and ready to go!” He sets Yuna down on the ground and she runs off to retrieve her backpack from the living room. Once she’s gone Seunghyun turns back to the mirror and smiles at the man who greets him back.

“It’s been a while since you smiled like this…” He idly comments brushing down the front of his suit’s jacket. The silly anecdote seems to alleviate some of the pressure from Seunghyun’s chest and with a smile still resting in between his cheeks he leaves the bedroom. A few happy steps later, Seunghyun stumbles upon quite possibly the cutest sight of his entire life. Jiyong’s still sat on the sofa but now Yuna’s stood in front of him and he’s holding her backpack open for her, jostling the bag between his knees whilst she rummages through it.

“So you’re looking for a blue bunny?” Jiyong asks and Yuna empathetically nods, not removing her gaze from the bag. “And you’re sure you put it- hang on!” Seunghyun smirks as he spots the bunny behind Jiyong’s back.

“Where?!” Just when Yuna’s nearly about to freak out and smash her backpack into tiny pieces Jiyong pulls the bunny out from its hiding place.

“I’m here Little Yuna!” Jiyong wiggles the bunny’s head, using a very squeaky voice to speak.

“Ahhh!!” Yuna screams and hugs Jiyong rather than the bunny who’s left in mid-air.

“Hey, hey, don’t cry.” Jiyong lowers his voice to a smoothening coo and Yuna pulls away to look at Jiyong and the bunny. “I don’t like to see you cry Little One!” Suddenly the bunny’s got a much deeper voice.

“Bunny!” Yuna bounces up onto Jiyong’s lap and he wraps an arm around her to steady her.

“Yah… And what does Bunny like to do?” Jiyong gently jogs his knees up and down which causes Yuna to giggle.

“Shopping!” It’s like a free puppet show, Seunghyun leans against the corner of the wall openly watching the two although their backs are to him.

“Noooo! Bunny’s don’t like shopping…” Jiyong wobbles the bunny’s head to emphasise this answer.

“Huh?”  Yuna looks from the bunny up to Jiyong.

“Bunny’s prefer fields Yuna and carrots, they love carrots!”

“What does Jion like?” She continues to ignore the bunny and after a while Jiyong places it on the sofa next to them. “Appa?”

“Of course I like your Appa.” Jiyong laughs as if this shouldn’t be new information for Yuna.

“How much?” Yuna’s teasing and Jiyong has no idea.

“More than I can put into words sweetheart.” His voice is a lot softer this time, abruptly something about the atmosphere feels heavier.

“Why?” Yuna’s persistent. Seunghyun will give her that much credit.

“Because… he’s bright…” Jiyong’s answer is a little reserved like maybe he doesn’t know what to answer with, or where to start from.

“And?”

“And he reminds me of sunshine!” Both Jiyong and Yuna giggle at that.

“But-” Yuna cuts off their laughter, “-without sun it can’t shine.”

“What do you mean?” Jiyong leans his head closer to hers.

“You’re daddy’s sun!” She pokes at Jiyong’s chest and Seunghyun has to look away, he needs to break the moment but he can’t bring himself too. “So he shines because of you.” Seunghyun shakes his head and pulls himself together.

“Are we all set then?” Seunghyun’s voice hoarsely calls out, he steps out into the living room and Jiyong spins on the sofa to face him. Jiyong’s eyes are all puffy around his lower lids, Seunghyun caught them just in the nick of time, and he steps up to them taking Yuna’s backpack from beside Jiyong. He stuffs the bunny in then heads off to the kitchen with the bag looped around his arm.

He pretends that he doesn’t hear Jiyong when the latter whispers to Yuna “We got caught didn’t we?” and his little girl replies with a hushed “Yes!”

Seunghyun gathers up Yuna’s lunchbox and pops some fruit into the separate compartments, wanting to make sure that she’ll be ok on her own. He might’ve over packed her bag with goodies however, his argument is that he’d rather she have too much than not enough. Afterwards he heads back into the living room and once their shoes are on (Seunghyun’s sort of smart teaching shoes don’t look half bad with his outfit whilst Yuna dons her pink trainers for the second time today) they’re ready to go.

The car drive to Jiyong’s barely takes any time at all and Seunghyun’s quite surprised that he hasn’t bumped into Jiyong sooner. It’s a fairly normal house, you know it’s got walls and windows oh and a bright blue door, and as they climb out of the yellow car an older lady flings herself out from the front door – barrelling her way down the drive to greet them.

“Jiyong! Son you’re home!” Well that answers the question of who this lovely lady is.

“Mum please, what did I say earlier?” Jiyong shoots an apologetic look at Seunghyun who smiles with absolutely no idea what’s actually going on. Although just when Seunghyun thinks that he’s out of the clear Jiyong’s mother focuses her attention on him and for a moment, for a split second, Seunghyun wonders how long it would take him to run home (with Yuna in his arms of course).

“So you’re Seunghyun and you’re a homoual too?”

“Uh…” Seunghyun’s mind freezes at her bluntness.

“No mother he’s an astronaut.” Jiyong links his hand with Seunghyun’s and the latter naturally grips onto Yuna’s hand tighter, again the three are stood in a row of clasped hands.

“What? Don’t be so cheeky!” Jiyong’s mother laughs and her smile is nearly exactly the same as her son’s. She’s fairly short, sort of fitting your stereotypical image of a mother with her long greying hair pinned back into a bun, bright green polo shirt and a white fleece pullover with jeans which covers her exterior. “I was just going to say that he looks too handsome to be like that…”

“Ah mum seriously, just quit it.” Jiyong walks around her and drags the Choi’s with him. “I’m so sorry about that” He laughs slightly. “She lives in a cave most of the time.”

“Jiyong!” She clips him around the back of his head and takes over from them, entering the house first. He just rolls his eyes at her and follows, bringing Seunghyun and Yuna with him.

Jiyong’s house, well his Sister’s house, is beautiful. There’s a central hallway which leads you off into various rooms and it’s decorated in whitewashed wood with turquoise walls. Seunghyun can tell that children live here but it’s not a bad thing at all, there’s no mess (unlike his house) and a nice amount of family photos line the walls. After taking their shoes off Jiyong leads Seunghyun past the stairs and into the far left room, it’s the living room and it’s a mixture warm earthy hues. The two kids are glued to the television, Yuna’s grip on Seunghyun’s hand tightens just as Jiyong releases Seunghyun’s other hand. They’re watching SpongeBob, Seunghyun knows the show by heart because it’s one of Yuna’s favourites.

“Namsoo, Sami, greet our guests.” Jiyong says after subtly clearing his throat. The two children shuffle about on their bums and little Namsoo’s face perks up, he waves at Yuna.

“Hello~” Sami bows and Namsoo stands up, padding over to Yuna in nothing but his nappy and an oversized t-shirt. So he hasn’t made that transition yet, Seunghyun takes a step back as Namsoo comes forward and extends a hand out to Yuna. She looks up at her daddy and he nods before she clasps Namsoo’s hand. They sit in front of the T.V, Sami shifts a little to make some room for Yuna then once she’s comfy Seunghyun crouches down behind her and gives her a little back hug with a goodbye kiss.

“Be good.” He gently utters, Yuna simply lifts her hands up to squeeze her daddy’s arms which are still wrapped around her and without wanting to get too attached Seunghyun pulls away with another kiss. He gets up with an embarrassing click to his knees though when he looks to Jiyong the latter grins from ear to ear, he looks so happy and comfortable Seunghyun’s uneasiness falls away.

“Kids look after Yuna and don’t sit in front of that thing all night.” Jiyong reaches out to Seunghyun and he takes his hand, now joined the two move back out into the hallway, past the stairs, and into the first left room. This time they’re in the kitchen and it appears to be an adult assembly point or something. Dami’s leaning on the counter with her elbows and Youngbae’s resting behind her, chin propped up by the curve of her shoulder. Jiyong’s mother is sat on a barstool opposite them along with an older man, who’s sat on the chair next to her, they all turn to face Jiyong and Seunghyun as they enter. It’s quite a daunting sight and so Seunghyun accidentally gulps.

“Hello you two!” The older man stands up, marches right over to them and sticks a hand out towards Seunghyun. “I’m Jiyong’s father, you can call me Pops, father, dad, da, whatever you want I’m all yours baby.” Seunghyun quickly frowns at Jiyong but moves to shake the man’s hand.

“Hello Jiyong’s father, I’m Seunghyun.” He lowly replies bowing in time with the handshake.

“Ah you’re so polite!” Jiyong’s definitely got his father’s eyes, those lovely curves which look bigger than your average pair of eyes. They downturn into little sparkling crescent moons and the guy’s got such a happy face, it’s infectious and Seunghyun finds himself smiling without fully realising it.

“Thank you.” Seunghyun draws back, standing next to Jiyong.

“So you’re definitely a homoual?” Jiyong’s mother asks yet again and Seunghyun doesn’t get the chance to answer because right away Jiyong whines.

“Mum will you just quit it!”

“But how do you know? And you have a daughter so you couldn’t have been born that way?” Seunghyun hasn’t really thought about it – life isn’t all black and white, male or female.

“I guess I’ve never considered it.” Seunghyun honestly replies. “I just really enjoy being around your son and when I’m not with him I’m missing him.” He shrugs the rest of his answer off like it’s a commonplace reply though a soft brush of skin brings that smile back to Seunghyun’s face, their fingers tangling together again.

“And on that note we’re leaving, see you guys later.” Jiyong cuts the rest of his family off, Dami’s mouth flaps open as if she about to say something, Youngbae looks about ready to doze off at this point, and Jiyong’s mother is definitely about to protest.

“Are you sure you can’t stay?” She protests and Seunghyun inwardly chuckles at that.

“No Mum, see you later.” Jiyong starts to head towards the nearest exit though before Seunghyun follows he says.

“Thank you for looking after Yuna.” Dami grins at that.

“We’ll take care of her Seunghyun. Go and have some fun.” She winks at him and he laughs following Jiyong out of the kitchen, through the hallway, and back to the car.

 

Without Yuna the atmosphere is dramatically different, Seunghyun can’t quite put his finger on it but it feels a little disjointed. He knows that he’s not used to being without her so maybe it’s that. Or maybe it’s the nerves stirred up by Jiyong’s constant tapping on the steering wheel, how he keeps scanning Seunghyun every two minutes like he needs to check that his date is still there. Maybe it’s a combination of all those things or perhaps it’s none of them. Seunghyun tries to forget about it, he watches the streets whirr with a multitude of fluorescent lights and notices how after a while they all blend together, he’s never really paid attention to how just how pretty things look in the dark. The sight gets distracting and he doesn’t even notice Jiyong until the latter sneakily prods his knee as he adjusts the gearstick.

“Are you okay? You seem quieter than usual.” Seunghyun turns to shoot him a reassuring smile.

“Yeah, I just feel a bit funny, like everything’s so new all of a sudden y’know?” He tries to tell Jiyong how he’s truly feeling, although if he can’t word it in his own head he has no idea how to say it out loud.

“Kinda like you’re seeing the world for the first time, huh?” Jiyong sensibly keeps his eyes on the road and Seunghyun takes the opportunity to look at him properly.

“Hmm maybe…” Seunghyun hums, Jiyong reminds him of the lights from outside, vivid and jovial, though in comparison all the colours of Jiyong complement each other whereas the lights outside clash. From his golden hair, honeyed sides and back, to his peachy skin with its traces of ruby tinted flesh right down to his full glossy champagne pink lips. Lips, his lips, Jiyong’s lips… Seunghyun’s mind slips into dangerous territory and he shakes the image away, occupying his forcefully Jiyong-deprived eyes with the view of the road ahead.

Tonight isn’t about that. Tonight is about getting to know Jiyong, getting to know the sun behind the rays.

They pull up into a parking lot which a smartly dressed man directs them into, the building beside it looks like a hotel and suddenly the nerves increase tenfold. What if it’s too fancy? What if Seunghyun sticks out like a sore thumb? What if he hates everything on the menu? What about when he undoubtedly throws his drink all down his new smart suit? What if he trips and knocks everything over on the way down? What if one of those black hole things spring out of nowhere and him into the ground? What if he chokes and dies? What if-

“You can’t sit in the car all night.” The sound of Jiyong’s kind-hearted laughter fills Seunghyun’s ears.

“What if I die?” Seunghyun blunders on, tripping over his questions whilst trying to pull the sleeves of his blazer down.

“What do you mean what if you die? You can’t die from getting out of a car, well unless you do it somewhere stupid like on a highway or something…” Jiyong catches himself and laughs. “Don’t worry I’ll protect you my damsel in distress!” He closes the car door and runs around the front to Seunghyun’s side, opening up his door as quickly as he possibly can. “Come on I don’t think I can carry you out.”

“Ah I- yeah- you’re right- I’ll just-” Seunghyun unbuckles his seatbelt and climbs out, straightaway Jiyong holds his hand and when the car’s locked they enter the hotel-like building. It’s strange how cool yet secure Jiyong’s hand feels against Seunghyun’s.

“Good evening Sirs, which event are you attending tonight?” Another smartly dressed man questions them as they approach the door.

“We’re in the piano suite, I’m Jiyong.” Jiyong says it so casually like he’s been here a hundred times before.

“Well that’s just grand, it’s good to see you again Jiyong. If you’ll please go through…” The man opens the gold-plated door and Jiyong nods in gratitude. “Have a wonderful evening!”

“Thank you!” Jiyong cheerily replies whilst Seunghyun just stares like a deer caught in headlights. Truly he has no idea what’s going on but he’s trying his hardest to resist the urge to throw up. They enter the foyer, it must be a hotel, Seunghyun muses as he scans the interior – it’s all very fancy, elevators and two sets of huge staircases face them. Jiyong wanders over to one of the elevators and Seunghyun sticks to him as if their hands are glued together. A hand moves up to press the 3rd button and Jiyong starts to sing a little tune under his breath. The lift ride is made in total silence. Once they’re up on the 3rd floor Jiyong leads them down a hallway, over a plush red carpet with white walls, and into the second door on the right. He picks a card out from his pocket, flashes it at another guy who’s stood by the door and finally they’re inside their destination.

For a moment Seunghyun forgets how to breathe, how to even blink, they’re in a single hall-like room and it’s bustling with people and life. Small tables filled with couples are scattered around the room and Jiyong leads Seunghyun through the chaos, there’s a free table right at the front of the room just in front of an elevated piano which sits on a small block for a stage. The lights are dim, people are all too engrossed in each other, and Jiyong pulls out a chair for Seunghyun to sit down on. Hesitantly Seunghyun sits down, his eyes are so overwhelmed he can barely process what’s happening. What kind of hotel was this? And what in the heck is going on? Can you order food here? Seunghyun squints though he can’t really see much because of the rubbish lighting. Suddenly a light sparks up in front of him and Seunghyun jumps, Jiyong laughs gently lowering what looks like an upside down vase onto a candle which sits in a small red dish.

“I started my career here.” Jiyong begins not even taking his eyes off of Seunghyun for one moment. “I used to sing on that very stage when I was nine years old. My Mum drove me insane as a child, she wanted me to be an overachiever and I guess that’s what I turned out to be. I sang old classics, wrote original music of my own, and did whatever I could to get my voice out there. Music was the first thing I can remember wholeheartedly loving.” Seunghyun just sits and nods. The rest of the room zones out into a noisy darkness but he can still hear Jiyong – he can still hear every last word. The pale glow of the candlelight shines upwards, even in the unflattering light Jiyong still looks incredible, and it’s like he stands out, like he’s the most important person in the room.

Because he is. At least to Seunghyun he is.

“I know a lot about you Seunghyun but I feel as though you need to get to know me better, so I thought how can show you all of me? Music is my core, this is who I am and hopefully you’ll like what you find here.” Jiyong leans forward in his chair, scoops up Seunghyun’s hands and delicately toys with them as he continues, as if they’re the most precious things on this earth. He has a way of making Seunghyun feel special without putting any effort into it and that makes the latter feel amazingly safe and loved. So loved.

“It’s nice” Seunghyun comments trying to futilely glance around the room despite the fact that he’s having difficulty looking away from Jiyong.

“Isn’t it? I’ve sung in some terrible places so this is the best of the bunch.” Pride curves Jiyong’s lips into a soft smile whilst an unsung emotion highlights the brighter shades of his almond eyes. There’s something bittersweet about the look on his face whether its pride, disbelief or sheer joy Seunghyun genuinely has no clue. But he soaks up the expression in a lingering gaze, imprinting this still dazzling vision of Jiyong into the very back of his mind.

“Yeah…” Seunghyun lets out a low breath and his eyes fall onto his hands which are still being played with by Jiyong. Well bitten fingernails poke between slender fingers, Jiyong’s middle fingers carefully pat just below Seunghyun’s middle knuckles and the gentle of skin tickle yet neither wants to pull away.

“You have to go up to the bar to order food though, hang on I’ll see if I can get us a menu.” Jiyong’s fingers slip away he gets up from the table and with a smile heads off into the energetic darkness.

 

The evening turns out to be a pleasant date, once the initial nerves are laughed away Seunghyun feels a lot freer – more content and stimulated by their surrounding atmosphere. They share a varying array of starters instead of ordering a big dish each, it’s all American based foods and Jiyong informs Seunghyun that this is a foreign style hotel. At the time Seunghyun doesn’t question why they’re having a date in a hotel until the very end of the meal. Jiyong said he was going up to pay but he’d already been gone for twenty minutes and now feeling too hot, too irritated, Seunghyun just wants to go home. He’s fidgeting in his seat, peering around the room, when a light brightens right beside him and he jumps – bumping his knee on a bloody table leg. After a string of soft-worded curses (like turnips, rackets and fudge buckets) Seunghyun looks up at the stage, that’s when his mouth forgets how to function.

Jiyong’s centre stage sat on a single stool with a guitar in his hands, he smiles as soon as he spots Seunghyun and the latter shifts about on his chair so that he’s facing the stage. The noise in the room dies down, just as Jiyong’s adjusting a mic which stands in front of him. Gently he clears his throat then speaks

“How’s everyone doing tonight?” A wave of quiet murmurings circulates around the room in response. “Sounds like you guys are enjoying life to the max…” He peers down at his guitar and fiddles with it as the room laughs at his irony. “Anyway, some of you regulars might remember me from a while back. I used to clog up your Friday nights with my awful Michael Jackson covers? Scrawny little pink-haired fella, anyone remember?” Again more nonsensical answers are mumbled in reply.

“YOU WERE CRAP!” Someone shouts and Jiyong laughs.

“Thank you sir, on that note tonight I’ll be singing twenty-eight songs dedicated to your ex for making a smart choice.” Everyone laughs again, whereas Seunghyun’s face starts to ache from all the smiling. “However all jokes aside, I haven’t sung publicly for years and tonight I’m trying to impress someone so…  If you stick by me regardless of my terrible singing I’ll know for sure that you’re serious.” Jiyong stares directly at Seunghyun and he feels the rush pinprick the back of his neck, he crosses his legs over, anxiously rubbing a hand over his elevated knee. “This is a small cover of a song I love, it’s by Lifehouse and it’s called ‘You and Me’.” Jiyong wiggles on the chair, shifting the wooden body up to lean against his chest. Seunghyun’s never heard of the song before so he just leans back into his chair, head propped up with by a tight fist. Shaking fingers wrap around the strings and then the first note reverberates around the room.

When that happens Seunghyun sits bolt upright.

Jiyong’s eyes close, hands move to gently press and strum on the guitar’s strings. He sings

What day is it? And in what month? This clock never seemed so alive…”

His head sways from side to side along with the rolling resonances of the song. He seems so calm, so at peace with everyone in the room staring at him. And his voice, it’s absurd that such a loud voice could come from such a lithely framed man. It’s light and tender yet coarse and wide in its range. Rougher tones give in to higher pitched chords, and there’s richness – a depth to every single sound he makes.

“'Cause it's you and me and all of the people with nothing to do, nothing to lose... And it's you and me and all of the people, And I don't know why I can't keep my eyes off of you.”

His brunet eyebrows draw together in concentration, beautiful mouth parted as the last note of the chorus tumbles from his lips.

“All of the things that I want to say just aren't coming out right, I'm tripping on words, You got my head spinning, I don't know where to go from here.”

Seunghyun gulps and doesn’t move, breathe, or think until the song’s finished.

“There’s something about you now, I can't quite figure out, Everything he does is beautiful, Everything he does is right.”

Jiyong opens his eyes barely playing the guitar when he whispers

“'Cause it's you and me and all of the people with nothing to do, nothing to prove...”

Seunghyun feels as if he’s floating, the lack of oxygen sends his world spinning, and he’s stuck in a state of shock.

“And it's you and me and all of the people. And I don't know why I can't keep my eyes off of you…”

Then he smiles, just smiles, as if that’s it, as if it didn’t take a lot of effort, like it was a natural occurrence. Seunghyun coughs, wheezes, suddenly his body remembers everything – feels everything – and it makes him choke. He can see Jiyong bow then someone else goes up onto the stage, it blurs, and the last thing Seunghyun can remember is seeing how Jiyong’s beaming smile fades.

He doesn’t remember getting up from his chair and fainting.

 

Red and a burst of light invade Seunghyun’s blurry senses as he wakes up, the inside of Jiyong’s car comes into focus and Seunghyun tries to shake the dreariness from his head. Instantly he searches for Jiyong but there’s no one with him, he tries the door and that’s locked. There’s no one in the front and the keys aren’t in the ignition. Seunghyun rubs at his throbbing temple, his head stings but he can’t remember much. Apart from

Jiyong’s voice.

That beautiful, heaven-sent, voice.

If he closes his eyes he can still hear it. So he tries to calm down by doing that, the blissful sound of Jiyong’s soothing voice does the trick, worry melts away into fondness and just when Seunghyun’s about to drift off again a piercing knock right by his ear jolts him awake. It’s Jiyong, he grins as he opens up the car door.

“Hi.” Jiyong grins, gently shutting the passenger door closed once he’s in. He leans against it and brings a palm to Seunghyun’s forehead, testing his temperature as if Seunghyun is sick or something.

“Hi.” Seunghyun shyly repeats, embarrassment tickling his cheeks red. “What happened?”

“Well I think I almost killed you.” Jiyong’s amusement vanishes into uneasiness and he combs back strands of Seunghyun’s caramel hair away from his forehead.

“Ah…” Seunghyun’s mind tries to think of a million excuses but he’s got nothing to go on. He has no explanation as to why he fainted.

“I’ve seen people do it in films and I figured it would be a nice idea to do on a date, guess you showed me huh?” Jiyong cracks up into a happy smile and Seunghyun laughs.

“Your singing wasn’t that bad…” Seunghyun jokes which makes Jiyong laugh this time around. “I guess I was shocked…” He sits up and turns on the backseat to face Jiyong.

“Shocked?” Jiyong frowns whilst wrapping his arms around the seat’s headrest. “Why?”

“Well you never told me that you could sing like that and-” Seunghyun stops himself from continuing. His feet find the car’s floor and he sighs.

“And?” Jiyong presses on regardless of the abrupt weirdness.

“It sounds silly.” Seunghyun shakes his head, opting to look out of the car window instead. He can’t tell where they are and he guesses that they’re still at the hotel.

“Like I said sad or a bit strange I can deal with, so please tell me.” Jiyong props his chin up by using the head rest and he doesn’t take his eyes off Seunghyun – not even to blink.

“It’s just-” The words won’t come to Seunghyun naturally. “You have this effortless way of making me feel important and it’s been a while since I’ve felt that. I sound like a child, I know.” Jiyong doesn’t reply, he just climbs into the back of the car and lifts one of Seunghyun’s hands from his lap.

“You don’t feel important?” Jiyong’s lips purse together, his lowermost lip trembles slightly though Seunghyun doesn’t look at him for too long. He stares down at his held hand and he feels so selfish for even thinking that way. “Seunghyun, you’re so important.”

“Don’t patronise me-” Seunghyun sighs, his bark much worse than his bite.

“I’m not.” Jiyong interrupts “Think about your beautiful baby girl, I bet you a million won she feels the same as I do.”

“She’s my daughter, she has no one else.” Seunghyun remarks, he can feel his nerves taking over and all of a sudden it’s like every ounce of energy from his body is being zapped away.

“And wants no one else.” Jiyong squeezes Seunghyun’s hand. “Look if she thinks the world of you, just as I do, then what else matters?”

“I don’t know.” Seunghyun groans “I don’t even know what I’m saying anymore, can you just take me home please? I’m tired.”

“Seunghyun.” Jiyong says as the man in question tries to separate their hands. “Seunghyun!”

“What?” Seunghyun snaps glancing sideways to look at Jiyong.

“I love you.”