The Start

Daughter Troubles

“No Daddy’s got the basket - wait - Yuna! No!” A little girl giggles as she collides with a man’s leg, she sits on the man’s foot and wraps her arms around said leg.

“Yuna-ah!” Her father calls approaching the man. “I’m so sorry!” He politely apologises grabbing his daughter’s sides to haul her away from the man’s leg. He tries to balance the girl between himself and his basket which is semi-full of shopping.

“Its fine” The man laughs ever so slightly. “My little niece is exactly the same way.”

“Really?” The father looks wide-eyed for a second because he’s hardly ever around other adults, specifically adults who have children experience of their own.

“Yeah” The man pats the girl on the head, ruffles her bouncy jet-black curls up, and then starts to walk away. He takes a few steps before he turns back around and says “Try reins, they always work, you know the ones you both wear on your wrists?”

“Yeah?” The father’s a little dumbstruck so he backs that one word up with a nod. The man nods in return and adds

“Yeah, get her a nice pink one and she won’t want to take it off. She’ll think that she and her daddy are wearing matching bracelets.” The man turns back and resumes his shop leaving the father to watch him walk away.

 


 

The reins work and for once in his life Seunghyun can control his daughter. She loves wearing the pink bracelet and just like the man said she sees it as a bonding process with her daddy, to protect her whilst they’re outside, and she doesn’t try to escape from it.

Seunghyun spends his next few shops deliberately looking out for the man with the sound advice but he never sees him again. He feels a bit put out by not being able to thank him. Still he finds himself thinking about the man a lot, even though he can’t remember a great deal, just his voice and smell - like heaven and man combined.

 


 

“Yuna-ah please put the other boy down.” Seunghyun sighs for the umpteenth time because his little girl has developed a habit of picking other people up and holding them up over her head. She sure is a strong girl and it’s frightening as hell. “Yuna-ah I won’t tell you again!” He stomps a foot and she finally relents nearly lobbing the boy from her grip. He takes his daughter by the hand and walks her back into the nursery.

He hates his job.

Looking after children is an amazing job but clearing up their poop, changing their nappies, and making sure they drink and eat their milk and fruit is just so tiring sometimes. And it doesn’t help that Seunghyun never stops, once he’s not “teaching” he’s only at home going through the same motions with his daughter. To add to that he’s only a teaching assistant.

When Yuna started her nursery education her teacher Eunbi suggested that Seunghyun join as a teaching assistant, it was a school programme which tried to actively encourage the parents to learn more about their children’s education whilst accepting a small payment for their time. Seunghyun said yes at the time, one because he wasn’t working and two his world is his daughter, and now he works full-time after a previous TA quit.

Seunghyun can see why.

Yuna loves it though and Seunghyun has to encourage her to go off and play with the kids, most of the time she’d rather latch onto daddy’s hip and stay there. You can bet though after a while she gets sufficiently bored (specifically when Seunghyun sits down and takes to colouring in with the other children) and soon wanders off into her own little adventures.

“You need to behave for daddy, ok?” Seunghyun kneels down to his daughter’s height and lifts her chin so that she has to look at him. She looks like a kicked puppy but Seunghyun’s not falling for that look. She nods and he continues to speak “Don’t pick up other people like that, it hurts them and it’s not safe.” She nods again before plodding off to ask a circle of kids if she can join them in their game of building blocks. Seunghyun smiles at the sight and stands, crossing his arms and purely losing himself within the sweet moment.

 


 

It’s the wedding day of Seunghyun’s sister and Hyomi looks like a gift from god as she graces the aisle, long lace dress flowing miles and miles behind. Just in front of her though is the real show stealer and Seunghyun flicks a ‘thumbs up’ to his daughter as she throws some rose petals in his direction. Her little pink dress is the cutest thing in the world and Seunghyun’s so proud of her, he tears up at the thought of her wedding day.

It’s the reception and Yuna has returned to her former devil child ways. Seunghyun’s chasing her across the dance floor and he trips, falling slap bam onto the floor - well if some idiot hadn’t of spilt their drink in the first place then Seunghyun would’ve been just fine.

“Yuna-ah!” He instinctively shouts after her, slamming a closed fist against the ground. He thinks that he’ll never get the hang of being a father - let alone a good one - but I guess that’s what happens when the mother of your child decides that she would rather cheat on you with her much younger co-worker and leave you and said child behind simply because she’s “too young to have such a commitment” and Seunghyun thinks you because it was you who banned the use of condoms in the bedroom, much to his annoyance.

“Daughter troubles?” A familiar voice asks and Seunghyun looks up, it’s that guy from the shop and he’s got a hold of Yuna’s hand as if it’s nothing.

“No.” Seunghyun grumpily replies as he scrapes himself up from the floor. “My daughter is trouble.” He kneels back down to her height and taps at her chest “Yuna I think it’s time to go home now, you’ve hurt daddy’s knee and he needs to put some ice on it.” He takes Yuna’s other hand and the man releases his hold. “Thank you for returning my child, I’m sorry for bothering you yet again” Seunghyun plainly replies, the agony in his knees weighing everything else out right now.

“Not a problem, do you need a ride home? You should rest your legs if they hurt, I’m pretty sure you’ve bruised something.”

“It’s ok” Seunghyun sighs. “I don’t live far” He lies, it’s about a ten minute walk to the station then a half an hour walk home from the station.

“Let me give you a lift, it’s no trouble and I was just thinking about leaving anyway.” The man is super persistent so Seunghyun agrees with a defeat nod.

“Sure, take us to your noble steed oh valiant knight.” Seunghyun jokes and the man laughs. They walk out of the venue side by side and Seunghyun reminds himself to send a note to Hyomi later, she’d understand she always did.

“This is it.” The man extends his arms out to what looks like a vehicle from the 80’s, its bright yellow and has huge bug eyes.

“Awesome.” Seunghyun politely smiles and the man steps forward to open the back door. Both Yuna and her father climb in whilst the man obviously gets into the front afterwards. Once they’re all safely strapped in he drives away. A brief silence passes them before Seunghyun perks up and decides to ask the other man some questions whilst he still can.

“You know that rein trick you said about worked” Seunghyun starts transiently meeting the man’s eyes in the rear-view mirror. “Thank you for that, oh and are you here for the bride or groom?”

“Groom, he’s a work colleague.” The man neutrally replies “You?”

“Bride, she’s my sister.” Seunghyun leisurely answers sighing as he glances out of the window, Yuna’s fallen asleep and her daddy feels her head fall limply against his shoulder so he scoops an arm around her, leaning away from the window.

“Oh, she’s seems lovely. To be honest I really came for the free cake.” The man admits with a shy laugh and here’s why

“But you left before they had the buffet?” Seunghyun figures out with a frown.

“Yeah but I found something more important to do than eat cake”

“Like what?”

“Like rescuing a damsel in distress” Their eyes meet in the mirror again and both smile without really meaning too.

“Well… Thanks for that.” Seunghyun airily chuckles and returns to looking out of the window.

 


 

“Would you like to come in for a cup of tea or something?” Seunghyun asks leaning against the open front window and looking to the driver.

“Sure, if that’s alright?” The man unbuckles his belt and Seunghyun takes a step back, hoisting his daughter further up his hip and holding her head against his chest to protect her.

“It’s more than alright” Seunghyun smiles because it feels like the right thing to do. The man opens the door and steps out of it, slamming it shut behind him. “Don’t you need to lock your car?” Seunghyun asks, even if the thing is in his useless driveway it’s still not safe enough to leave it unlocked. (One day Seunghyun plans to learn how to drive until then its bike rides with a kiddie backseat and helmets, can’t forget the helmets.)

“You really think someone would steal that piece of junk? That’s cute.” The man laughs and it’s the first time Seunghyun actually looks at him, like properly. His short blonde hair is combed downwards and it looks nice, it’s styled simply and it emphasises the man’s lovely honey brown eyes. He’s wearing a simple penguin suit but it’s perfectly tailored to him, and the little glimmer of a red belt gives away a little bit of what Seunghyun assumes is the man’s wild side.

“You’re funny.” The man adds drawing Seunghyun’s attention back to him.

“I’ll take that as a compliment.” Seunghyun twists on his heels and walks towards his front door. From a few years of practice Seunghyun is able to fish the key from his pocket, slot it into the door, and once its wide open he motions with an enthusiastic nod for the man to follow.

Seunghyun’s place is only a small bungalow, it’s all he can afford being a single father and all, but it’s clean. Nope that’s a lie, it looks like a mess but it’s a clean mess, one which Seunghyun can navigate his way around. There are children’s toys everywhere and the other man can’t help but observe how it looks as if Seunghyun spends more money on his child than what he does on himself, it’s a bittersweet thought. And it’s utterly true.

“I’m sorry about the mess” Seunghyun half-heartedly says as he takes his still sleeping daughter and puts her down in the double bed which the two share. It’s the only habit Seunghyun can’t break, he can’t resist his daughter’s dewy eyes when she says “Daddy please can I sleep with you tonight?” and when he asks the simple question of “Why? You have your own bed” she answers with “I’m afraid that you’ll leave me too” he can’t say no. He simply scoops his little girl up into his arms and says softly “I would never do that to you, I love you Yuna.” About three times she had to ask until Seunghyun told her not to, he found that he couldn’t sleep without her by his side either and the two could only sleep when snuggled together, buried under the comfort of the warm duvet. He kept her bed though just in case she grew tired of him when she was older.

He doesn’t really mean he’s sorry because he’s not, Seunghyun’s only being polite, but he’d never be sorry for being a working father and the other man seems to understand, if his reply is anything to go by.

“It’s not a mess and you should see my house if you think this is bad…” The man trails off with a laugh.

“Do you live on your own?” Seunghyun asks after he’s closed the bedroom door and returned to the living area.

“No I live with my sister Dami, her husband Youngbae and their two children.” Seunghyun pushes some teddies and old colouring books to one side of the sofa and points at the other side for the man to sit on whilst he talks, which the other man does with a smile curving his unnaturally pink lips. The shade is still attractive on the man though. Seunghyun clears his throat and looks away from the man’s lips, nodding as his brain tries to process the man’s words.

“Two children, how do you cope?” He laughs and then remembers why he invited the man in in the first place. “Tea or coffee? Or juice, I have juice if you don’t want a hot drink.” Seunghyun briefly combs back his gelled vivid caramel locks with a shaky hand, the gel’s kind of wearing off now and he can feel it flopping forward in the heat.

“Tea sounds fine.” Seunghyun catches the man tracing his hand movements and his cheeks immediately light up at being caught red-handed.

“Oh I’m so rude, my name’s Seunghyun and yours is?” Seunghyun asks unfastening the first few buttons of his shirt.

“Jiyong, its Jiyong.” The man seems equally bothered by the heat and tugs off his blazer.

“Here let me hang that over a chair for you.” Seunghyun sort of snatches the jacket away and hangs it over an armchair which sits just to the side of the sofa. He then repeats the process with his own jacket but makes sure that Jiyong’s is on the very top. He’s got no idea if he’s overstepped a boundary yet, it’s been years since he’s allowed someone else to come into his home and he doesn’t feel at all threatened by Jiyong, rather he has this strange inkling which feels as if he desperately wants to let someone else in. It’s been so long and Seunghyun really wouldn’t say no to a bit of adult company from time to time.

“So tea? Ok, I’ll just be in the kitchen.” Seunghyun points over his shoulder as he talks and then pretty much runs into the other room. Tea, Seunghyun repeats to himself, how to make tea, he goes over the process in his mind pulling out the milk from the fridge and the sugar from a corner cabinet. “Do you take milk in your tea? And sugar?” He calls and with a look over his shoulder he can see Jiyong who’s still sat politely waiting in the living room. There used to be a door which separated the two rooms but Seunghyun took it off after trying to navigate between the two with his arms full, usually it was either due to washing or food.

“Yes please and two!” Jiyong shouts back and then he realises that he doesn’t really need to shout for Seunghyun to hear him so he clears his throat. Seunghyun smiles because Jiyong’s like an open book and it’s fresh to meet someone who isn’t hiding something.

“Ok” Seunghyun clarifies as he puts the kettle on. Whilst he waits for the machine to do its magic Seunghyun pulls out the only two mugs he owns from a cupboard, one’s My Little Pony and the other’s Pororo. He won’t admit that the My Little Pony one is his but it is, Pororo is his daughter’s for when they have their once a year tea party which usually happens on Yuna’s birthday. His mug is a little bigger despite it being a children’s mug and so he sets that one up for Jiyong. Seunghyun pops in the sugars and tea bag first, water then milk, he just hopes Jiyong enjoys his tea in the same way in which Seunghyun does - it’s surprising how picky some people can be about what goes into the mug first.

Once the kettle’s boiled and the tea’s made Seunghyun brings the two steaming mugs into the living room, setting them down on an old television guide from like a year or so ago. He then sits beside Jiyong on what little room is left on the sofa, subtly flipping some of the teddies and books over the arm and coughing over the noise.

“Thank you.” Jiyong grins when he leans forward and raises the tea mug to his lips, after taking a sip he sighs blissfully. “Ah, you put the milk in last right?” He asks as Seunghyun takes a sip from his own and nods. “You must be my soul mate or something because seriously everyone yells at me for making tea that way, did you know it’s backwards? Most people put in the milk and sugar first, water then teabag” Jiyong laughs because Seunghyun looks a little blank, his mind short-circuited on the words “soul mate”

“I didn’t know it was backwards.” Seunghyun frowns trying to think about it a bit more. “You can’t really measure the milk though, it’s easier if you leave that till last.”

“Exactly!” Jiyong exclaims with laugh which shows off his slightly crooked teeth and it’s a sight which warms Seunghyun’s insides up or maybe that’s just the tea working its magic? Who knows? “Anyway…” He stresses the word out with a roll of his eyes. “I think your mugs are cute.”

“Why thanks.” Seunghyun feels like it’s another compliment entirely and it doesn’t help the situation when Jiyong’s smile grows, he can feel a heat rising to his cheeks.

“And your house is nice too, I love the 2011 and 2012 TV guides, really perks the place up a bit.” Jiyong’s joking of course and Seunghyun laughs even if he feels as though he should be a little insulted.

“I’m glad you noticed them” Seunghyun quips taking a short pause to sip a small mouthful of tea, “Because that means you're a man who’s easily impressed so, you’ll probably die at the sight of my nicely stacked phonebook collection which spans over five whole years.” Seunghyun nods to the huge pile of books sat in the far right corner of the room precisely next to an old television and its busted stand.

“Wow, I’m starting to think you’re too perfect to be true Seunghyun.” Jiyong covers a burst of joyful laughter with a hand whilst he balances his tea mug against his knees.

“That’s because I am.” Seunghyun replies smiling into his mug. “I wish I had some cake or something to offer you, I feel bad for making you leave early…” He gently confesses then downs the last sip of tea before he places the empty mug back onto the table.

“Don’t feel bad.” Jiyong’s laughter fades into an earnest smile. “I’ve had much more fun with you” He places his mug down right beside Seunghyun’s, “Perhaps sometime we could go out for cake or something?”

“Sounds nice” Seunghyun doesn’t even need to think about the offer before he accepts - he knows that he wants to see Jiyong again and as soon as possible if he can get away with it.

“Awesome” Jiyong’s smile widens and Seunghyun thinks ‘No you’re awesome’ then blushes at the cheesy thought. “So uh, thank you for the tea. I should probably get going, Dami’ll think that I’ve fallen off the face of the earth or something” Jiyong stands up and Seunghyun swiftly follows scooping up Jiyong’s jacket from the chair and handing it over to him as the latter slips his shoes back on. “Oh and you should probably read through your TV guides before you throw them out, you might’ve missed out on an important show.” Seunghyun chuckles but has no idea why that’s supposed to be funny. Jiyong takes his jacket and slips it back on turning to face Seunghyun once they both reach the door.

“Erm…” Seunghyun goes to say something but then loses the courage to do so before he can form the words.

“So…” Jiyong his bottom lip into his mouth whilst his eyes look everywhere else apart from Seunghyun. “I’ll pick you up for cake say, next weekend? How does Sunday sound?”

“Perfect” Seunghyun’s mouth moves irrespective of his mind which is telling him to slow down on the mushiness. He doesn’t even know the man properly yet.

Yet.

“Awesome” Jiyong repeats as if his brain has run out of things to say, he turns and opens the door taking a few steps out of Seunghyun’s house.

“So I’ll see you then?” Seunghyun asks trying to find an excuse which would allow him to talk to Jiyong for longer. “What time should I be ready for?”

“12, be ready by 12” Jiyong smiles and buttons the front of his blazer up.

“How will I know that you’re not going to stand me up?” Seunghyun desperately asks another question and he receives his answer when Jiyong walks right back up to him and smacks a huge kiss onto his lips. Although when Jiyong moves to pull away from what would only be a quick peck Seunghyun lifts his hand and holds the side of Jiyong's head, keeping the other man there. It’s a soft kiss full of gentle squishing and of lips, there’s no tongue, and Seunghyun’s so rusty he wonders if he’s even kissing. It doesn’t feel like he’s doing much so when their mouths eventually fall apart Seunghyun goes to apologise but Jiyong cuts the thought off before the words can even surface.

“You’ll just have to trust me.” Jiyong says so effortlessly as if trusting him is the easiest thing in the world and Seunghyun wants to believe him so badly. “I’ll see you Sunday Seunghyun!” He waves but resumes his walk backwards never leaving Seunghyun’s eyes for even a moment.

“Watch where you’re going!” Seunghyun calls out just as Jiyong butts into the front of his car, Jiyong looks a bit surprised that he’s walked so far in such a short amount of time, nonetheless he climbs in and continues to wave as he starts the car. Seunghyun returns his wave with the hand which had just cupped Jiyong’s face, it’s like he can still feel the richness of Jiyong’s silky skin under his fingertips, still feel those luscious plump lips squashed against his, he feels giddy and closes the front door. With a sigh Seunghyun rests against it

“Sunday, 12, cake.” He repeats over and over again like a prayer. Everything feels a lot lighter now, a lot more bearable, and Seunghyun doesn’t feel as stressed as he did before and during his sister’s wedding. The sound of socks padding across floorboards fills up Seunghyun’s home and he sits back down on the couch in the space which is still warm from housing Jiyong’s derriere. He smiles because why not and a sentence of Jiyong’s niggles at the back of Seunghyun’s brain.

“Oh and you should probably read through your TV guides before you throw them out, you might’ve missed out on an important show.”

What on earth did he mean by that? Seunghyun shifts forward and briefly scans the TV guide which still accommodates their teacups. It’s on the “in the next coming week” page and Seunghyun’s eyes immediately spot why he was supposed to look at the book. Just under the questioning headline of “What will the next week have in store for Television lovers?” there’s a curly scribble of “Seunghyun will eat cake with Jiyong and if he can’t wait until then please call Jiyong on…” Seunghyun practically rips the guide from underneath the mugs and shoves the guide onto his lap before he catches the falling mugs. He sighs and puts them back onto the table before reading Jiyong’s note again. His smile brightens.

Cake and Jiyong sounds like a fantastic combination. He can’t wait.

He reads the number again.