One.

Crossing Boundaries
 

♦♦♦ Chapter One ♦♦♦


I tried, Baekhyun, I really did...I'm sor--

"Alright, shut the up!"

Baekhyun sprang up from the bed screaming profanities at no one in particular. He wouldn't admit it to anyone, but ever since Chanyeol broke up with him, he had been dreaming of the scene for days, and it never failed on making him wake up in tears. Today was no different.

With a pout, he wiped the tears with his sleeves, kicking off his blankets and letting his feet dangle off the bed. Usually, he'd have felt the hard wood floor by now, but he felt nothing. He frowned. Was it possible to, well, shrink overnight? He shook the ridiculous thought away, and looked down instead.

Oh, so that's why his feet didn't reach the floor. He nodded in understanding.

"The bed's floating, that's why." He murmured softly, taking in the unfamiliar room he was in.

His eyes widened in realization, and he nearly fell off the bed if he hadn't been holding on to the headboard. Scenes from the previous day came flooding back into him. Trying to convince Taemin and Minho about Chanyeol's existence, the Chanyeol-less photos, him meeting Luhan, the two of them falling off the buildi--

Luhan.

With a start, he jumped off the bed, a little disoriented at the weirdness of the floating bed. He quickly scanned the room and spotted the door. He dashed for it, having a little trouble with opening it (he had to press on a little button at the side for it to slide open). He tumbled out of the door, not even bothering to check if someone was there as he made a sharp turn to the right.

Unfortunately, someone was indeed there.

He bumped into that someone and if it was any other person, preferably someone shorter, Baekhyun would have stood his ground. But no; Baekhyun was a lucky boy. He bumped into a person who was probably a foot taller than him. He landed unceremoniously on his backside, and he groaned at the pain.

"Ow, damn it..." Baekhyun hissed, looking up and squinting at the taller guy.

"You're the one that Luhan brought in, right? Are you alright?" The stranger asked, holding out his hand to help Baekhyun up.

Baekhyun took it grudgingly, quickly letting go and observing the man in front of him. He had to crane his neck a little to look at his face and not at his collarbone. The man had a sharp and strict aura about him, his blonde hair pulled back into a slick do. He had a set of perpetually angry brows which reminded Baekhyun of Angry Birds but despite that, the man had a calm and gentle demeanour.

"Where's that genius called Luhan? I need to talk to him." Baekhyun said, not really knowing what to do.

"Luhan's not a genius, but--

"I was being sarcastic." Baekhyun quipped, and the tall stranger blinked.

"...oh. Well, he's in the lounge, waiting for breakfast. D.O.'s almost done, so I suggest you hurry if you want to eat."

"Uh, where's the lounge?"

"Just straight down the corridor, Baekhyun."

"Thank-- wait, how do you know my name?" Baekhyun asked, totally freaked out.

"You're all that he ever talks about ever since he came back." The stranger gave a wistful smile, waving his hand and walking off into the opposite direction, leaving Baekhyun puzzled.


Baekhyun could hear a lot of voices coming from the lounge. His initial bravado was now replaced with worry and nervousness. He was previously thinking that he only had to talk to Luhan but after hearing all of these voices, he doubted that. He was about go back to the room he woke up in, thinking that Luhan would eventually go to him when, just as he turned around, somebody gently grabbed him by the elbow. He squeaked in surprised.

"Omo!"

"Oh? Who's thi-- wait, you're Byun Baekhyun, right?"

Baekhyun stared at the boy in front of him. With his chubby cheeks, curious-looking eyes and short brown hair, he looked like a high school student. Baekhyun, out of shock,  only nodded.

"Well, what are you doing here? Come on! We have a lot to talk about, you know? I'm pretty sure you have a bajillion questions right now in that pretty head of yours." The boy pulled him along down the stairs, catching everyone's attention.

The boy with the chubby cheeks pushed Baekhyun down onto a seat in the centre of the room. Baekhyun felt like he was being inspected by everyone (actually, that really was the case). He suddenly let out a soft gasp as three people caught his eyes.

"Kyungsoo-ah, Jongin, Jongdae? What's going on? Why are you guys here?" He asked, standing up and going over to the three confused people that he had just called out to.

"Kyung...who?" The short boy with the unusually large eyes asked softly, eyes widening comically as Baekhyun grabbed his hands, looking very lost.

"Kyungsoo, why was the bed floating? Why was it ing floating? And I swear to God I freaking fell off a twenty-story building and yet I'm alive...or am I? Holy son of a am I dead? Jongdae, am I? Jongin, what do I do?!" Baekhyun was very calm, yes. Not.

"Byun Baekhyun, calm down!"

Baekhyun turned around at the familiar airy voice. Luhan was standing with his hands on his hips, an exasperated look on his face.

"Look, just sit down, and we'll explain everything to you. Like, seriously, sit down. You might pass out or something and we don't want you bonking your head or something."

"But Kyu--

"That's not Kyungsoo, Jongin or Jongdae. The people you know, they don't even exist in this time anymore."

"...they don't? Oh my God are they dead oh my God oh my in--

"Yes, but...technically, not really. If...uh...wow, this is harder to explain than I thought." Luhan mused, scratching his cheek with a finger.

With the help of the boy with the chubby cheeks, Baekhyun sat back down, eyes trained on Luhan's figure only. He was trying to remain calm and rational, but it was pretty hard considering that the bed was floating, he was just told that his friends doesn't exist anymore, and the bed was ing floating. Baekhyun's head was hurting.

"Simply put, Byun Baekhyun...you're in the future." Luhan said softly, as if Baekhyun was a piece of glass that if Luhan had raised his voice even just by one decibel, he'd break.

"...say what now?" Baekhyun asked, blinking.

"You're in the future. We kind of time travelled when we fell off that building. Timedrop is the term."

"We...uhh..."

"I know it's a lot to take in, but it's currently 2145. Really, nothing much has changed. You'd get used to it pretty quickly."

"21...45..." Baekhyun uttered lamely, feeling very light headed.

"And like I said, your friends, the people you know, they're dead, but they're not. Do you get what I'm saying? They're still alive back in your own time, in your own dimension, but not here." Luhan continued, sitting down beside Baekhyun and smiling at him.

"....why am I here?" Baekhyun was amazed at himself for still being able to form coherent thoughts after all the mind -bombs that have been dropped on him.

"Well, it's...uh, that's kind of a long story."

"I'm pretty sure that'd be about me so shouldn't I know about it?" Baekhyun snapped, frowning.

"Calm down, pretty. We have all the time in the world to tell you all about that. For now, let's just eat, okay? We're starving." The Jongdae-lookalike spoke up, and he had this amused expression on his face.

"Who talked to you? And don't ing call me pretty." Only Chanyeol calls me that.

"ChenChen, don't provoke the princess. He's already about to explode, if you haven't noticed." The boy with the chubby cheeks chided in as he made his way to the dining table.

"Woah, watch it, Xiumin, I don't think pretty likes being called names." Jongdae-lookalike, who was supposedly called Chen, added with an amused tone.

"Why is everyone treating me like I'm a ing Bella Swan incarnate?! It's so infuriating, damn it." Baekhyun complained.

"That's because you're probably acting like one."

Baekhyun looked up to see the tall guy from earlier descending the stairs to the lounge, a plastic bag in hand. One of the guys sitting on the couch, the one who looked like a panda with his eye bags, suddenly sprang up, running up to the tall guy and embracing him.

"Welcome back, Kris!"

"Hey, Tao. I got you something, by the way." He smiled as he handed the bag to the other boy.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes at the two who were obviously a couple. He turned back to the dining table, still not moving from his seat. The Kyungsoo and Jongin lookalikes were giving him weird looks.

"I'm D.O., and this is Kai. Sorry if you thought you knew us. Uh, Kyungsoo, right? And Jongin? They were probably our ancestors or something." D.O. said, smiling a little at Baekhyun before going back to the table to try and maintain some order in the forming chaos that was supposedly breakfast.

Even with all the noise, Baekhyun felt a little empty. It was all too much to take in. He wouldn't have believed all the that Luhan spouted if it weren't for the floating bed he had woken up on, the flying cars outside that he could clearly glimpse from the open windows, an obviously un-2013 Seoul view outside, and the floating bed. He was really awed by the floating bed, okay.

He watched as Kai took a seat in front of him, a quiet looking boy with pale blond and bluish hair following suit. Luhan was latched on to the latter, his arms wrapped from the back.

"Baekhyunnie, we'll explain everything later in detail, but for now, you have to eat, yeah?" Luhan said softly, smiling.

Baekhyun was tired of being his usual y self, anyway. He needed food to activate that side of him again. He nodded, and smiled a little.

"Yay! Baekhyun finally smiled! Oh, this is Sehun, by the way." Luhan chirped, nuzzling the boy's neck.

"Nice to meet you." Sehun said, nodding his head.

A lisp, how cute, Baekhyun thought.

"Not everyone's here yet, but I'll give you a refresher course on who's who as it's pretty hard to memorize our names on the first try." Kai said, smiling as Baekhyun nodded.

"Uh, okay then. I already know Luhan, D.O., Chen, you, and Sehun." Baekhyun replied, looking at the people he mentioned and earning smiles from them.

"Well, the tall guy over there who looks like he's forever angry is Kris. The one beside him, that overly excited panda, is Tao. The high-school looking steamed bun over there is Xiumin."

Baekhyun nodded his head in understanding, noting everyone in his mind. He suddenly heard footsteps coming down from the stairs leading to the lounge, and he had barely turned around before Kai started talking again.

"Oh, good timing! The rest of the crew's here. That one with the annoying dimples in the unicorn hoodie is Lay. The shorty beside him is Suho. And that tall giant there is-

"Chanyeol." Baekhyun finished, eyes trained on the tall boy who looked as equally surprised as him.

"....Baekhyun?"