Thirteen.

Crossing Boundaries

 


♦ ♦ ♦ Chapter Thirteen ♦ ♦ ♦


Taemin looked mighty proud as he sat up straight in his seat, his lips as he got ready to explain their motive. It amused Baekhyun slightly how everyone, despite the tension-filled air, leaned closer to Taemin as if they were watching a boxing match on the television.

"Well, it's not that long--

"That's what she said." Chen blurted out, and he covered his face in slight embarrassment, unable to stop himself from making inappropriate comments. Kris threw him a spiteful look.

"...as I was saying, the story's not that long. We basically hold the same goals as you guys do, if we're correct in our assumption." Taemin continued, and Suho nodded his head in understanding.

"What do you guys know, anyway?" Jonghyun suddenly asked, and it surprised Baekhyun. It was the first time that the man had spoken throughout the whole ordeal.

"Well...HQ were suspecting us of something after our mission to capture Shinhwa, that's why we ran away. Plus, Hyunjung wanted Baekhyun dead." Kris supplied helpfully, and beside him, Tao bit his lip.

"We heard from Shinhwa as well that Hyunjung wants to dominate the world or something, and she was using you guys to help her in her plan, and somehow, Baekhyun got into the picture? Something about him being an error in time.." Tao sounded unsure as he recited everything off his memory, and he looked at Baekhyun on instinct.

"Th-they also said that you guys, uhm, eliminated all my, uhh....other versions..." Baekhyun finished softly, and Chanyeol automatically pulled him closer. The taller male's warmth was enough to reassure him that everything was okay.

However, at his words, Baekhyun saw how Onew frowned from where he sat. Taemin was shaking his head as well, seemingly offended at the accusation.

"Wait, wait, hold on. Sure, we've eliminated some people before, but we...we've never killed a Baekhyun, or anyone who looks like you for that matter. In fact...you're the only Baekhyun there is." Taemin explained, still frowning.

The rest of EXO remained still, trying to process the new information that they had just been given. There was only one Baekhyun? What was Taemin talking about? They were sure that Shinhwa had said something about Hyunjung killing off all the Baekhyuns in the other timelines. They had assumed that Baekhyun, at some point in his life, would do something to overthrow Hyunjung, but apparently not. It never crossed their mind that there would only be one Baekhyun. It was impossible.

"There's...there's only one Baekhyunnie?" Lu Han asked, his flawless face marred by a deep frown of confusion. Taemin nodded.

"The one and only. Yes, Hyunjung sent us and Shinhwa on multiple missions, but it wasn't to kill Baekhyun. Not entirely, at least. She wanted us to look for him first and foremost, then kill him on sight. But we never did. Only..." Taemin then glanced at Jonghyun cautiously, and the other male looked away. "...only Key-hyung found you, but he never came back. He decided to go AWOL."

"How?" Chanyeol suddenly asked, and Taemin turned to him, frowning.

"What do you mean? How Key-hyung found him?"

"No...how is it that there's only one Baekhyun?"

Taemin looked at Onew helplessly, and the older male shrugged. He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees and looking at each of the EXO members seriously, his gaze finally falling on Baekhyun's small figure. His eyes held something close to pity. Baekhyun felt even smaller.

"We don't know, either. All we know is that Baekhyun's an anomaly in Hyunjung's plans, and in her way of thinking, the only way she'll succeed is if she eliminates all the loopholes. She doesn't know what Baekhyun is, and that scares her. Nothing's perfect, and that goes for time, as well. Maybe Baekhyun is time's imperfection. We'll never know. Either way, Hyunjung wants him out of the picture, if only to assure herself."

Chanyeol tightened his hold on Baekhyun, plating soft kisses on the top of his head, his large calloused hand caressing his hair as he ran his fingers through them. Baekhyun needed it, to be honest. Being called a loophole, an imperfection, and a target all in one day was too much for him. All he wanted in the first place was to be with Chanyeol, and now, they were all in this mess. He couldn't help but feel that all of this was his fault; all because of his selfish wish.

"I don't understand one thing, though." D.O. raised his hand suddenly, his voice timid and measured. It was Jonghyun who looked at him. "Why didn't Key-sunbae kill Baekhyun? You said he found him..."

Jonghyun smiled wistfully, his hand automatically going to a tiny silver padlock hung around his neck. He ran his finger across the smooth surface. Without looking at D.O., Jonghyun answered him, his voice soft and tender. "Because Key's a nice guy."

Taemin looked away, blinking rapidly. It seemed that he was trying very hard not to tear up. "Key-hyung...he's never been fond of our missions where we had to eliminate people. He always stayed back, and though that reflected badly on his job, he didn't care. He only took the mission to eliminate Baekhyun because...well...he realized things."

"Key realized that he was being used. We all were. So he took that chance to go AWOL in your time. He did tail you for some time, though, and he saw how you were as a person. He also saw Chanyeol with you." Minho added, and he reached out to Jonghyun gently when the older male released a deep sigh.

"Oh..."

Baekhyun was at a loss for words. He didn't know what to say. He could feel that Key had been very special to all of them, but now, he was back in 2013, living a normal life, or as close as it could get to normal and away from all this timedropping mess. Chen cleared his throat, and Taemin looked at him.

"Which brings us back to, uh, the main question that you still haven't answered. Why are you guys helping us?"

"...we just want payback. We're tired." It was Jonghyun who answered, and Chen cocked an eyebrow at him.

"I don't follow..."

"Hyunjung used us, Key got tired and he left. If it wasn't for her, Key wouldn't have left...wouldn't have left me..." Jonghyun mumbled sadly, and Minho patted his shoulder.

"Our point is, we're practically the same with you. The moment we left HQ, we were jobless. We know that Shinhwa's also trying to right things at the HQ again, so we'll help. Plus, you sort of got in the way of our research, too." Taemin stood up from his seat, walking to where Baekhyun and Chanyeol were.

"Research?" Suho repeated, looking lost.

Taemin, who was close with Chanyeol, didn't hesitate in pulling Baekhyun away from him. He enveloped the smaller boy into a bear hug, and Chanyeol spluttered incoherently. Baekhyun could only widen his eyes in surprise. It was all too random and familiar, just like how the Taemin of 2013 used to treat him.

"Right after Key-hyung left us and waaaay before you were sent after Shinhwa, we were already planning to do this. You know, go against HQ. We found things that could help us with our plan, and we studied it for a while. Right around the time that Shinhwa went MIA, the things we were researching on disappeared off the radar. And then when you guys went AWOL, it suddenly appeared again. This time, it was in our period." Taemin kept his arm slung casually around Baekhyun's shoulders, and Chanyeol could only pinch the bridge of his nose in response.

"By things, you don't happen to mean..." Suho started, and Taemin nodded, a cheeky grin breaking out on his face.

"Yes. By things, we mean the stones. The stones from MAMA."

 


 

A/N: (insert word vomit about MAMA and nonsense here)

I'm just inserting random things here, and ohmyGod, you dont know how much my head hurt from connecting all of those things and events together. My brain is exhausted. OTL I love SHINee, and as much as I adore the idea of them being villains, they're not villains here. They will be, though, if I continue writing the ChanBaek vampire WIP fic I have here on my laptop lelele okay random gif of jinki yo

Happy Birthday to Kkamjjong who wasn't even mentioned once in this short short chapter! /slapped ♥

p.s. yo yo yo check out my Hunger Games KaiSoo/HunHan/ChanBaek fic? ;p Insurgence