A Loss for Words

Whose Existence Vanished

I thought long and hard for this chapter. Kept coming up with different ideas and ways to write it, and it became this. Thanks for waiting!


 

Whose Existence Vanished

 

Dongwoo shivered. He hated this; hated the smell, the sounds, and most importantly the darkness.

They had journeyed away, long gone, from the Plains of Fum. The magician dreaded this passing, but it was not likely that Sunggyu would redirect their route. This was the fastest path to the hot springs in Aliftaria, and the fox wasn’t going to allow Woohyun to die anytime soon.

The group has now entered Tida, the darkest abandoned village in Little Petal. To say the least, Dongwoo much rather preferred the Fields of Fum than this. There were people there, not ugly creatures and destroyed houses. Overrun by weeds and large poisonous mushrooms; sticky goops bound passageways and making Sunggyu, at the front, have to slice it off with his ready-in-hand spear. Allowing Dongwoo to hear the sickening slop drip down and plop onto the sides and ground. The grass was wild, untamed and various unhappy greens with some purple here and there from the poison.

Dongwoo hated the atmosphere, just looking at it made his mind blank and the want to shriek out rising. To the front, Sunggyu bravely cleared the path for his companions with his spear, Woohyun treading behind him with the chalice. Sungjong wandered behind Woohyun, just in case if they were ambushed by any monsters. Hoya stood beside him, grimacing at some of the growth on the sides of the rotting houses.

“Dongwoo, are you alright?” Hoya asked him in concern, seeing the cold sweat accumulate on his forehead, and constant repositioning of his hands on the staff.

“Y-yeah…” he managed to say, still on guard for anything to pop out, “I’m not fond of these types of places.”

Hoya nodded, “I’m not either. But the faster we walk, the faster we can get out. I’m sure that Sunggyu is trying his best to get us out quickly and safely.”

The magician calmed at the composed words of the other, relaxing just a bit before hearing shrubs to their side start to shake. He immediately jumped and scurried behind Hoya, gripping his shoulders painfully and peeking over to see what was happening.

Sunggyu turned alarmed, pointing his spear at the moving vegetation and motioning to Woohyun to join them under an overhang. Sungjong went to Sunggyu’s side, hands ready with knives.

 With nothing happening, Dongwoo watched as Sunggyu stab his spear into the ground, taking out a folded bow from his bag. Snapping it out, he grabbed an arrow from the side of his leg and positioned it straight to their ‘enemy’.

“W-wait! Don’t shoot!”

Not complying, the fox kept his arrow out on the target covered by the shrubs, steadily shuffling closer, “Reveal yourselves.”

A couple of moments past, nothing happening until a girl Clavat walked out of the bush with a tired male companion.

“W-we’re a lost caravan,” she explained, both of them holding their hands up.

The boy looked frightened under Sunggyu’s glare, “There was a rumor that a Myrrh tree has grown here, so we tried to get it.”

“But failed,” Sungjong murmured, making the two hang their heads in shame.

“We left our village, the second but new caravan after our training. But we were robbed!” The girl cried, holding their crystal from her pocket, “Our blessings are almost faded, can we travel with you until the next town?”

The group came out from the overhang to join the two Sung brothers out in the open. Woohyun nudged the fox, ushering him to speak. But their Leader glared on, “How am I supposed to know you aren’t one of those scam demons?”

“What?” the two gasped, “No! We’re speaking the truth, honest!”

Dongwoo looked away; the sorry sight of a failed caravan saddened him. Hoya was helpful, patting his back and whispering that they were going to be safe in one way or the other.

The Clavatian boy started to become fed up with the situation, “We were robbed from that stupid Selkie earlier! If not for him, we would have been gathering a drop by now!”

Sunggyu cuffed his head, “You’re weak,” he stated to the teary eyed boy and girl. “If you two were to have challenged Tida’s guardian, you would have died. Firstly, you lied to me about being a caravan; I can clearly see you are not. One does not leave home without a chalice or weapons. Secondly, coming to one of the most dangerous and poisonous places in the country for your first hunt for Myrrh is a joke.”

The fox unrelentingly pushed them to the ground, taking one of Sungjong’s knives and throwing right beside their heads. “And lastly, that bandits are always out there. I really don’t care if you were robbed or not.”

Sungjong bounded around the two, grabbing his knife from the floor, “You two were planning suicide, but got scared and chickened out, correct?”

“My name is Grace,” the girl’s tears falling down the sides of her face.

“And I am Sou,” the boy sniffled, “We came to die, but…”

“Couldn’t do it,” Dongwoo breathed, shaking his head and covering his eyes. The young kids had no idea of what that wish could do to others.

 

*

“Sunggyu, calm down. They just made a mistake, they’re confused.”

Woohyun trailed beside Sunggyu, whispering to him while adjusting the chalice. Sungjong and Dongwoo hanged in the back with Hoya, helping the two kids who lost their way. Everyone believed that they were indeed robbed; it was evident with the small strings that held their belongings were cut. But Sunggyu still fumed silently, marching forward with a frown.

“Shut up, Woohyun. This isn’t the best place to negotiate with me on who I am supposed to trust,” Sunggyu hissed back at him. Woohyun didn’t know how to approach the fox, wondering why it was so hard to trust the two kids.

They were just teenagers; young and afraid, they don’t know what how to lead their lives yet. Probably influenced by low people, Woohyun was scared to give them back to their home. What if it the parents were terrible or their situation was worse than now?

Sunggyu didn’t relax, kept trudging forward while killing pesky plant demons. The prince thought it’d be best to press the matter, “Just think in their minds, please?”

“Shut up,” he repeated, eyes already the set maroon color, “If you would use your brain and everyone sense around them, you guys would notice we’re being followed.”

Woohyun stiffened, walking blankly behind his Leader, “What, no. It’s just the kids back there.”

“You’re a kid.” Sunggyu scoffed, “They said they were robbed. I’m not stupid. The thief is watching us from the top of the buildings. A Selkie, I’m guessing. Those jumps say it all.”

The Prince looked around above, seeing nothing but the same ugly buildings and rusting iron. He scratched his head, looking behind him to meet with Sungjong’s face.

“Are you pestering my Hyung again?” Sungjong raised a brow, staring into Woohyun’s soul.

He shook his head quickly, not wanting to anger the small cat. The other huffed, moving beside to their Leader to whisper something into his ear. Sunggyu shook his head, cuffing the Sungjong’s shoulder and saying a prominent ‘No’.

The fox suddenly stopped, gathering them near a fallen roof top. He put a finger to his mouth, signaling silence and took tentative steps out. Woohyun heard nothing, but obviously the Demons of the group did.

“We need to get out fast,” Hoya tsked his tongue. “The bastard has us on radar.”

Sungjong began pushing the Grace and Sou out, with Dongwoo telling them they were safe. Woohyun had a bad feeling in his gut, bravely carrying out the chalice to join the others. The protective barrier from the crystal chalice stood clear, a healthy earth element radiating from it. He didn’t know what the danger was, either a demon has gotten them on the watch, or the thief was planning to take all of them on.

A cold air swept past them, and he saw Sunggyu shiver slightly. His mind began to wander off, worrying for his fox. That’s why he couldn’t register the wind getting knocked out from his lungs, a figure suddenly sliding in front of him, dropping the chalice and falling.

He was caught, but not by his favorite Leader. Instead, there was a leather hand over his mouth as he struggled against the person. His limbs felt weak and suddenly very exposed.

Were all those months of training for this?!

“Give me all your gold and you can have your partner back.” The man demanded, holding a dagger to his throat, “I won’t hesitate.”

Hoya and Dongwoo hurried to cover the kids, back to back and weapons on hand, Hoya with his fists up. Sungjong joined Sunggyu’s side, his own dagger out and Sunggyu calmly stood.

“You already hesitated,” his fox stated, eyes dead, “Now I would like my Letter Bee back.”

“Not until I get my gold,” the tall thief growled, holding the dagger closer to his neck.

Sunggyu walked toward him, not alarmed by the danger of him dying at any second. His holder took steps back, hissing threats at his Leader. But the fox kept walking.

“I said stop or I’ll kill him!” his kidnapper had enough and cut his cheek to test Sunggyu’s waters, making the prince yelp.

It seemed to have effect, the fox’s eyes were glowing the same dangerous maroon. But it was more real, unlike the other times Woohyun had received them. His Leader was never someone Woohyun can catch with just his eyes, he could only feel. The next breath he took in, he was in Sunggyu’s hands, the tall thief long away and he was back with the group.

“Are you alright?” Sunggyu whispered, making Woohyun feel better just by hearing the other’s voice turn fond toward him. “Sorry for taking more time than needed.”

But the next action shocked Woohyun to his spot, making him stare stupidly at whatever what was in front of him as he sat still on the grass. Sunggyu leaned into his face, the cut on his cheek with a slick tongue. It only lingered for seconds, but it burned his skin with a stinging heat and certain wetness. He reached up to touch his cheek, Sunggyu long gone, and found that the cut disappeared as well.

“Ooh~” Everyone around him seemed to forget the danger beside them as they gossiped about Woohyun and their Leader.

“He totally has the hots for you,” Sou nodded.

Grace smiled at him, while he got a hand up from Hoya, “You guys are cute together!”

“I wouldn’t say that,” Woohyun muttered to himself.

 

*

While his group was behind him, chatting as if nothing was wrong, he flash stepped quickly back to his enemy. The other was still stunned from his earlier attack with the electric blade. He was sure the other had seen it, but was caught off guard with his sudden movement.

“What kind of Lilty uses magic?” the tall thief groaned, paralyzed into a kneeled stance.

Sunggyu shrugged, making his way toward the male, “One that is half demon, I guess.”

He made his way over, taking the crystal from the Selkie’s bracelet and securing it into his palm. Then he slapped the other a couple times, not too merciful but to the extent that it stung at the end.

“You’re a noobie?” Sunggyu asked, taking the other’s chin and checking the face out, “Name?”

The thief gave sharp knife-like eyes as a response, steadily standing up as the paralysis weaned off. “Why should I tell you, fox?”

“Because I hold your life in my hand,” dangling the crystal teasingly in his hand, Sunggyu dryly laughed, “Who forced you into this?”

“No one!” he exclaimed, pushing a slow fist toward Sunggyu, which was easily caught, “I set myself up here, and I will be the one to get the prize at the end!”

Sunggyu perked his ears, “What prize?”

When the other shut his mouth, realizing his mistake, Sunggyu slammed his body to the ground, gripping the front of his shirt, “I asked you something, so you should answer.”

Seeing the maroon irises concentrate on his, the other squeaked for a breath, “The Dweomer Spore.” A wreck of coughs erupted from his body after the fox let go, hearing the answer, “The guardian of Tida’s Myrrh Tree grows an item called the Dweomer Spore. It is said it can cure any disease.”

Sunggyu grimaced, “So you waited out here, for a caravan; to steal a medicine? What, are you dying?”

The thief looked away, shamed. But his eyes told Sunggyu everything he needed to know from the start, “Yes.”

 

*

“I can’t believe this.”

“You should, it’s in front of you.”

“This is stupid, Dongwoo. Not only do I have a stupid Prince dying, but now we took in an idiotic Thief? What are we, a hospital?”

“I think you should take a cold bath, GyuGyu.”

“…That’s it, we’re dropping the guy.”

“No, Gyuzizi! You can’t just kill him!”

“He won’t even tell me his name, I’ll slaughter him!”

Woohyun smiled at the fox in front, arguing uselessly to Dongwoo. He’s been throwing a fit ever since he had walked over from behind and hugged Sunggyu, again. The fox stopped had stopped hating on the thief, only to start yelling at him instead. He tried to calm his Leader, but no gain. The Letter Bee kept fussing and fussing, allowing Dongwoo to go over and ask if the stranger was alright.

The thief was surprised, only Sunggyu the one to implement violence toward him. Everyone else tended to him, helping him up. Even the two kids he stole from earlier came over to help.

Woohyun held their angry fox down, while Hoya asked for an explanation. The tall guy explained how he took their stuff in hopes they’d leave, before anything bad happened to the two. But instead, the kids stayed, too scared to get up.

“My name is Sungyeol,” finally confessing to Sungjong, “I’m a thief, but a new one like the fox said earlier. I’ve been waiting around here for a caravan, hoping someone would defeat the guardian and help me get the Spore.”

“Why?” Sungjong shook the other’s arm, “You smell healthy.”

With all the eyes on him, Sungyeol felt self-conscious, rubbing his hands together and walking slightly faster, bumping into Hoya. “It’s not me…”

“Stop being mysterious and ing say what the hell you’re doing here!”  

Woohyun laughed inside when Sunggyu blew his top again, still his face to the front and stomping through the broken village; destroying any slop or small demon in his way with either lightning or sheer force.

“It’s for…,” Sungyeol looked hesitant, but Woohyun smiled at him, reassuring the man. A slight nod was given to him back, and he continued, “My boyfriend.”

Hoya slapped his face, while everyone else yelled in surprise. Making Sunggyu yell back in irritation so they’d quiet down. Woohyun just smiled, liking the thief’s brave quest.

“He’s in Tierabia. The disease up there is worse this year, and many have died already. Unluckily, he caught it while tending to some guests at our hot spring.”

“Hot spring?” Hoya clapped his hands, “Hey, perfect! After here and Selepation Cave, you can lead us there!”

Dongwoo nodded, “We’re heading to a hot spring too. Do you know any white mages?”

“Matter of fact, I do.” Sungyeol nodded, “She isn’t too far from our place.”

“Then we’ll travel together after we put these kids back to their homes!” Woohyun’s smile grew, a nice coincidence had occurred in their favor.

Sunggyu stopped, making him bump into the Leader’s back, “Yes, a coincidence indeed,” turning around to glare at the Selkie, “But you still need that Spore before you leave. This means we have to fight, which also means work; in conclusion, is a big effort to be made.”

“Yes, but Sunggyu-hyung!” Sungjong whined, hugging the fox, “This is also another short cut to our destination! It’s just one fight, and we can rest right after wards in Aliftaria.”

Their Leader tapped Sungjong’s shoulder, unlike the other times when he shoved Woohyun off, making the younger take his hands away. “We won’t get into Aliftaria until after the Selepation Caves.”

“It’s along our way; we can get a Myrrh Drop too! Didn’t you say we’d get one if it’s in our chance?” Woohyun pouted, holding the chalice close to his chest like a child.

Sunggyu scoffed, but looked away, clearly remembering that he had said that. Dongwoo snickered, messaging the two kids’ shoulders kindly.

“Hyung, let’s be on our way and stop arguing.”

 

*

They ended up at the end bit of Tida, the last neighborhood before the crooked mountains started. Sunggyu could feel the new winds made by the Cave from here, his hair ruffling softly. Here they crouched, under a fallen tree as cover from the large demon flying overhead. It was a huge insect beetle thing; Sunggyu didn’t want to clarify what the heck it was because it was too ugly to even look at. And the horrifying sound of its beating wings made him sick to the stomach. He can’t stand insects, much less anything scary.

“ it, Sungyeol, get the Spore yourself. We’re getting out of here and returning the kids back to their village.”

As he got up to leave, a hand pulled him back down and he landed in someone’s lap. That lap just happened to be his oh-so-favorite young Letter Bee Woohyun. Growling, he struggled to stand, only to be held down by the same pair of arms that pulled him into the position.

“Wow, are you two a couple or something?” Sungyeol scratched his chin.

A still fuming fox glared again at the newcomer, “Idiot, no! This stupid kid just is some weird hugger fanatic!”

“Say what you want, Sunggyu-hyung. But I think it looks pretty convincing,” Hoya hid his smile behind a purple gloved hand.

“Why do I even bother keeping you people.”

“Cause you love us, Hyung!” Sungjong piped.

Sunggyu snorted, huffing and crossing his arms, “So, anyone got a plan?”

Dongwoo fiddled with his staff, a little uncertain, “Well, let’s first deal with that flying beast, and then challenge the guardian?”

“Denied.”

“How about destroying the insect, and then defeating the guardian?” Hoya popped up.

“That’s the same thing, but with different nouns and verbs.”

“Calm down there, foxy,” Woohyun chuckled, petting his hair and getting a jab in the ribcage with his elbow, “It’s the only plan of action, let’s take it.”

“No,” Sunggyu stayed stubborn, “That plan involves me being the center offensive, using our precious energy when we are supposed to be already done and out of here.”

The two kids in the back sat silently, while Dongwoo patted their shoulders; whispering that Sunggyu was just being his normal self. Hoya was getting his fists ready, while Sungyeol taking out whatever contraption he called a weapon.

Woohyun saw everyone preparing, even though Sunggyu was very much against the idea. Which meant that he would relent if everyone thought it was the right choice. Peer pressure, the stupid kids were doing to him. But he was even more gullible for going with it.

Sighing, he stepped out of Woohyun’s arms easily and took out his own spear.

“So we’re going?” Woohyun stood up as well, dusting off his pants.

Sungjong looked at him incredulously, “What does it look like?”

 

*

“I hate insects.”

“I know that,” Hoya told him.

“No I really hate them now.”

“Yes, Woohyun. I understand.”

“No! How can they be so ugly?!”

Woohyun made a silent fuss with Hoya, mad because the huge demon sputtered its ugly green blood all over them after it was defeated. Rather quickly, Dongwoo casting blizzard spells while Sungjong and Hoya killed it. Sunggyu never interfered, guarding the Grace and Sou instead with Woohyun. Sungyeol helped out here and there.  Sungjong had also taken over holding the chalice instead of Woohyun.

They were walking into the gates, toward what Woohyun suspected was the guardian’s dwellings. He couldn’t say he wasn’t excited, it was the first time he would be present to conquer a dungeon! Not to mention gather a real Drop of Myrrh as well.

Though the real reason was to help Sungyeol, no matter how much Sunggyu wanted to deny and be the big tough person on the outside, Woohyun knew he wanted to help him just as much as the others did.

Walking closer, they came into a clearing with a lone house in the middle. The house was covered in huge spores and the roof destroyed by various other parts of the house. It didn’t look livable and very much distorted.

“Sunggyu, what--?”

The fox shushed him, stopping the group, “It’s there. Make the wrong move and we’re all dead.”

Approaching closer, countless spores started to explode, making the air poisonous and deadly even within the barrier. Dongwoo quickly casted Clear so the children wouldn’t get too affected. The house started to shake alive, moving and twisting into a standing position.

Making the ground shake and clouds of dust sweeping over them. It popped up alive, the circle window glowing red like and eye, and the bottom a stump like structure with a disfigured bridge arm. Minions also responded beside it, skeleton like creatures with staves that casted Thunder.

His Leader gave out orders right away, yelling “Split into two groups! Dongwoo take Sungjong and Hoya with the two kids and deal with the small fries; Woohyun and Sungyeol, follow me to the main enemy!”

Running with the fox, he saw behind him the others doing what Sunggyu said to the word. Dongwoo using Fire to destroy the annoying demons to the side, and Sungjong making sure the kids were safe under the crystal’s barrier. Hoya was fighting valiantly, a spark of fire coming from his own gloves that made Woohyun wonder if Dongwoo had helped with that.

Turning back, he had Sungyeol running to his side and Sunggyu ahead of him. He held the new sword he had never used until now; a little happy he was finally in battle instead of the others.

The house demon swirled around, creating a cloud of poison and a swing of its bridge-like arm. They jumped back to avoid it, Sunggyu dragging Woohyun by the back of the collar.

“Stay focused, Woohyun! Or else I’ll leave you dead.” Sunggyu hissed at him, continuing to run for an opening spot to attack.

The house moved left and right, its huge size made it a tiring challenge to keep up. But with the months of running he did, Woohyun felt as if the run wasn’t as bad as the torture Sungjong made him go through.

After five minutes of surveying the enemy, it seemed that the only attacks the guardian demon did was spew poison breath, swing it’s arm, and move around to try and run over them. Even the other group had finished up with the small pests; joining them in the main fight. Dongwoo had to continuously cast Clear to make sure no one was affected by the air.

“Alright, Dongwoo keep casting Fira, it’s the weak spot toward these types. Hoya keep with Dongwoo, your fists won’t do any good here,” motioning with his hands, Sunggyu had them continue to run, Sungjong leaving the chalice with Hoya and Dongwoo; who also held the kids.

The guardian was covered in fire the next second, Sunggyu already in the air over the demon’s head and striking at the top. Sungyeol pulled him along, dodging the huge arm to begin slicing and whacking the base. Sungyeol’s weapon was interesting, a cross between hammer and axe.

The fire kept its constant surge on the body, making it hot for Woohyun while he sliced the demon for small bits to fall off. He saw Sunggyu jumping over for time to time during his wreck of attacks, Sungyeol warning him to duck or move whenever the guardian attacked back. Sungjong kept at a distance, shooting arrows with sharp precision.

A rather large purple dust covered the floor, making Woohyun hack out coughs to get rid of the poison in his system. He saw Sungyeol do the same, but pulled them aside before the arm could slam down on them. Sunggyu had landed beside them, panting harshly as he came back from a certain strike; quickly casting cure onto them before jumping right back into battle.

Their attacks continued, until Sunggyu suddenly stopped and pushed them onto he ground near a fence. Yelling out to Dongwoo’s group.

“Get down!”

Dongwoo was too busy, Hoya screaming back, “Why?!”

The magician seemed to notice it too, and pulled the kids and Hoya back. But the kids saw something in the house.

“Sou, it’s there! The heart!” Grace yelled out.

The two struggled against Hoya and Dongwoo’s gasp; the two males yelling at them to stop. But the squeamish bodies broke free, running toward the ‘heart’.

“Wait!” Sunggyu yelled, standing up and flashing toward them, “It’s a fake!”

The house had enough time to prepare, snapping forward straight at the kids and shot out thousands of spikes toward them. The first wave missed them, but the second cut flesh. Sunggyu only managed to get them out, having a few spikes lodged in his back as he stumbled to the side with the kids under his arm; falling to the ground.

“Sunggyu!” Woohyun started to run over, only to be pulled back by Sungjong to avoid another hit by the guardian.

“It’s not over, Woohyun!” Sungjong pulled him until he was able to start running correctly. He was scared, what if one of those had pierced through his heart? What was Woohyun to do but watch as his precious person leave the world with a last breath?

Shaking his head, enraged, he tried cutting through the monster’s arm with his steel sword. Stabbing and slicing again and again, ducking to avoid getting hit as the fire raged on beside him, fueling his anger.

It seemed like eternity, but they finally struck down the huge demon. The fire burned down its base, and Woohyun succeeding in cutting the arm off, with Sungyeol’s thousands of dents evident on the side. The guardian fell, dust flying around it as it slammed into the floor; beginning to disintegrate into millions of particles.

Sungyeol walked over and ripped a mushroom like object from inside the house, coming out happy and jumpy. Woohyun immediately ran to Sunggyu’s side.

“Are you alright!?” he yelled to the fox, shaking him and the other crouched beside Grace; Sou crying on his side.

“Dammit, Woohyun…” he heard through Sunggyu’s bangs that covered the other’s piercing eyes, “I failed.”

 

*

 They ventured solemnly, their moods following their Leader’s. The young boy Clavat carried his companion in his arms, everyone walking beside him. Sunggyu held the chalice in the front, approaching the celestial tree that stood just before them.

Woohyun watched as the fox placed the chalice below the point of the tree, on a small rock as the tree started to low from the crystal’s presence. The tree had the cave shape, its branches all coving together to become a large shell of live energy swirling within it. The tree started to glow brighter, the light concentrating to the tip of it at the front, the water gathering in a mysterious blend of white, blue and light green. It finally dropped into the chalice, making the crystal shine and the water situated on the bottom.

Sunggyu came back to them, head held low and dodging their worried glances. He told them to start moving, toward the nearby village to send the boy home and their regards to the girl’s parents. Woohyun felt terrible, his fox in pain and he couldn’t relieve any of it. The hurt was written all over the other’s face, regret and self-hate plastered into his usually strong eyes.

 

*

Entering the village, they were met with worried parents and many watching villagers. Sunggyu took the lead, everyone too afraid of the judgmental words they would be given.

They boy ran to his father, crying and tugging at the shirt; screaming for forgiveness and that it was his entire fault. The father seemed too preoccupied with just seeing his son safe and sound.

Their Leader called out, asking for the girl’s parents in a low voice. A pair of normal farmers came out, slamming the fox with questions.

“Is she alright?”

“What’s wrong with her?”

“Open your eyes, Grace! Please!”

Sunggyu shook his head, Woohyun barely hearing the soft apology from him as the Leader handed them their daughter.

“I’m sorry,” he quietly spoke, slowly and full of dread, “But it seemed I was too late in saving her life.”

He heard Dongwoo crack out in a sob, unable to hold his tears as he broke onto Hoya’s shoulder. Sungjong raised his hand to cover his eyes, trying to seem normal but tears seemed from under the gloved hand. Sungyeol looked away; facing another direction with his fists clenched tight and arm shaking.

Woohyun stood there, behind his Leader as the villagers started to mourn the death of such a young lady. The mother screamed at Sunggyu, asking for her life back. Begging for a more valid reason for her death other than ‘she was too reckless’. Punching his Leader’s chest and falling to the floor clutching her daughter’s hand. Sou, already in the back, cried louder in his father’s grasp. Yelling apologies and soiling the shirt.

Sunggyu didn’t let a tear past his glazed eyes, bowing fully onto the ground and then standing to hand the Village Elder a flower.

“It’s from the Myrrh Tree,” the fox whispered, voice carried by the fresh breeze, “It will purify just a few things to the crystal.”

Then he turned, ushering his group out of the village and they bowed on last time to the people before heading out. The sniffles and tears hadn’t stopped while they were already on the road toward the mountains. Dongwoo cried to longest, everyone finally getting themselves together.

Though he didn’t know, Woohyun’s face was stained with more tears than everyone else. When he reached up to clear it with his handkerchief, it was way more than one person could shed. It was then he noticed.

 Did I take... Sunggyu's tears?

 

*

“Get yourselves together!”

It was three days after the incident with the girl’s death. The group had traveled in silence, a few words exchanged here and there, but nothing more. They camped out, eating small pieces of dried meat and drank from their water pouches. Luckily the mountain was full of fresh springs, so they hadn’t worried about dehydration.

Sunggyu finally yelled out to them as they stepped into the entrance of the Selepation Cave. Shaking most of them out of the trance. Woohyun stood still beside their Leader, carrying the chalice like normal. It wasn’t heavier even though the water was in it, the same weight as before. The water moved a bit side to side, but never left the chalice, it was light as feathers, but had the consistency of thick butter.

Sunggyu stomped his foot beneath the large mouth of the cave, his eyes dark, “Three days is enough! Moping won’t bring back lives, and we have two in our hands! We will make out of this cave alive, and restore the health of this idiot and another idiot I don’t even know. So actually start talking and move lively, kids!”

Hoya let out a laugh, followed by Dongwoo and Sungyeol. Sungjong let in and laughed a couple times as well. Woohyun stood beside Sunggyu, watching his every move. The fox looked relived that his group was still the same, but he himself still looked terrible.

“What are you staring at, Woohyun?” Sunggyu turned to him, his eyes still holding the self-loathing and hurt, “Are you feeling better? We’re almost there.”

“Mm,” Woohyun hummed, concentrating onto the dark brown irises, “The question is, are you alright?”

The fox widened his eyes, but it only seemed like acting to the Prince, “I’m fine. Let’s get moving.” He had said, the smile didn’t convince Woohyun, “Kids, we’re going in!” he called.

Entering the cave, the wind blew all around them; strong and cold. The stalactites formed below every ledge in the cave, dripping water down into dark chasms. Stalagmites stood on the edges of the path, catching some of the drops from above. Chimes were heard throughout, made because of the small crystal hangings every now and then that opened gates. Large wind turbines were placed in some of the sides of the caves, for long ago works of energy. Now they spin with no meaning, some fast whiles others lazily.

“Whoa,” the wind blew past his face, chilling his bones, “That’s cold, even though the air really isn’t.”

Dongwoo chuckled behind him, shaking his shoulder as they walked forward deeper into the cave, “Do you want to hear what I know about the Cave?”

“You know everything,” Woohyun smiled, “But yes, I do want to hear.”

Dongwoo cleared his throat, entering his mysterious mind that was always in motion.
“The wind is strong here. Legend has it that from this cave, each and every gust of wind is born. You wonder why it chills your face. It was just born moments ago. Perhaps it will blow across the land, growing warmer with each memory it gathers. The wind then plays its part by carrying those memories everywhere it goes. And once it has finished, here it shall return.”

“You’re always the best at thinking, Dongwoo,” Sungjong praised after hearing the tale.

Hoya nodded, “I wonder if you know about every dungeon out there.”

“No,” Dongwoo laughed, “I just read lots of books.”

Sungyeol clapped a few times, “I can’t even keep my head in one book, let alone remember a poem.”

Woohyun smiled, looking back at his leader who had dealt with a lizard demon while they were talking. The fox sighed and whipped his forehead with his forearm, looking a bit distressed.

“Hyung, are you alright?” he asked, placing his hand onto the fox’s shoulder.

But he was swatted off immediately, “I’m fine,” the terse reply shot at Woohyun as Sunggyu kept moving forward. “Keep the other’s ready for attack. There are bigger demons than these lizards around.”

Going around the twisting path, they defeated many insect demons that annoyingly stung at them and electric floaters trying to zap them to death. Large beetle-like demons tried cutting their limbs off, and stab them through the chest. Each and every corner was face with a new enemy, and they had to defeat each one before being able to venture on.

Dongwoo casted a cold collection of fused Magicites to create Blizzaga; Hoya continuing to beat down anything that came near the Magician while he was casting. Sungjong was swift in slaughtering silently with the dagger and Sungyeol behind him with that weird thing that Woohyun still didn’t know what to call.

He and Sunggyu were in the front lines, coming at the demons first with Woohyun’s steel sword and Sunggyu’s spear. They collected many lost manuscripts for Mythril armor, and Woohyun continued to gather the chunks of Mythril that fell from their enemies in hopes of upgrading his sword to the better material in town. Aliftaria has the best Lilitian Blacksmiths in the country, and he wanted nothing more than to carry the best sword around, after finding a design for a master’s weapon.

Dongwoo took the many Magicites that fell off the monsters; fusing them and saving for stronger magic and tests at home. Hoya and Sungjong were amazed at the old working shaft elevators and crystal gates. They headed across many elevators and whisky suspension bridges. A lot of lost gill and gold laid around for Sungyeol’s pickings. 

Though, through their merry searches and gatherings, Woohyun couldn’t help but shake the feeling of Sunggyu’s hidden rage. The fox obviously hasn’t gotten over the lost life, and was taking it up on himself in working harder and destroying every demon more than need be. As they ran through the caves and channels, they came up to a deeper part, where the water lizards sprang from their pools and attacked head on. Many small winged lizards flocked around and nipped at their legs. The group killed them off easily, but Sunggyu unrelentingly smashed the bodies into pieces and cut them up into a bloody mush.

Sungjong took Woohyun toward a green Hot Spot, to change their crystal element from Earth to Wind. The miasma stream ahead will counter them if not be Wind.

Sunggyu waited in the front, everyone clearing the path for him, even the Sungyeol knew to stay away from a Fox’s wrath. Everyone but Woohyun, who stood beside him smiling, letting him know that he was still there and believing in him.

They passed by a much larger gate, and Sunggyu made a clear way around it, not even looking at the massive wood that stood beside them.

“Why not get the drop while we’re here, Sunggyu?” Sungyeol asked, eyeing the door with a jitter.

Sunggyu shook his head, gripping the spear tighter, “We’re all tired from the walks and fighting. I can see your muscles sore from even through your clothes. This is no shape to be challenging another guardian. And besides, I hate this one more than the last; even though the end prize is a scene to hold in your heart…”

His voice died out in the end, beginning to walk beside into another cave with the outside in its faint view. Woohyun wondered why, or what the end prize was.

Is it special to him?

 

*

It took another couple days after heading out of the Caves into Aliftaria. They entered the city, greeted away from the cold mountains with hot soups and roaring fire places. They couldn’t stay for long, Woohyun’s clock began to move the other day and they needed a White Mage by the end of the week.

Sunggyu sighed, lying atop his bed for the night in the motel. The fire crackled beside him, watching the flames flicker and ashes flying. He wondered about what the family was doing now, and how they were coping. Hoping that they didn’t end their lives in sorrow for his dumb mistake.

How could I have been so slow? He clasped his hands onto the side of his head, curling into a ball on his side and closing his eyes.

How could I let a person die on my watch? I’m such an idiot!

He heard the door opening and closing, Woohyun entering the room. Not wanting to show his face again to raise the other’s suspicions, he pulled up the covers over his head and hugged the pillow. A natural position he always goes to whenever he wants to be alone.

“Sunggyu?” Woohyun called out to him, but he ignored it. “Hey are you okay?”

Ah, just leave me already! You stupid oaf!

The bed dipped under the weight of another person, and he felt the same overly warm hand on his shoulder.

“Hyung, you always hug the pillow in front of your face. You’re going to inhale too much dust and get sick or something.”

He kicked out, hoping to hit something from the Prince. Getting a little ‘oof’ from the other and smirking with his earnings, staying silent through the whole thing.

“Ow… You don’t have to kick me in the shin for caring you know…”

“Then leave,” Sunggyu stated, buried within the covers and pillow.

Slowly, one by one, Woohyun tore off the thick comforter and cotton blanket over him; letting him into the cold air that hung around.

“I won’t leave just because you say so, Sunggyu,” Woohyun whispered into his ear, making him shiver from the stimulation. He came out of the pillow to glare at him, but was met with tight, warm arms around him instead.

“Yah, what do you think you’re doing?”

Woohyun sighed, the breath traveling down the side of his neck and a bit over his back. “Giving you a well-deserved hug. I wanted to give it to you much earlier, but it seemed that you would snap my neck if I did it in front of the others again.”

Sunggyu squirmed, “As if I wouldn’t kill you now.”

“You wouldn’t,” the Prince pressed, his arms tight around his waist and face nuzzling the crook of his neck. “Why would you kill off the person you made this entire trip for?”

Sunggyu stiffened, not liking that the other had the upper hand, “Because I want to.” His childish reply made himself feel dumb.

“You’re so funny, Sunggyu,”

The fox hit the arms around him a few times, but not a single one made the other flinch. He huffed and gave up, not hugging back.

“Since when did you become so tough?” Sunggyu murmured into his shoulder, resting his forehead onto Woohyun. “I remember you’d start complaining right after I’d just slap you.”

The Prince chuckled against his skin, resulting in Sunggyu’s stomach doing unnecessary flips and a warm feeling bubbling at his chest. “Since you started hitting me every day. I got use to it Sunggyu.”

“Tch, and when did I say you can call out to me informally?”

But Woohyun just stayed, hugging the fox, “Since I started loving you.”

Sunggyu stopped; he stared wide at whatever was in front of him. His arms stayed limp to his side, and breathing became shallow. The warm weight on his body felt heavier than before, and his heart kept pumping faster. He didn’t like this feeling, he was too warm. Too close.

So he pushed Woohyun away, standing up till his back hit the wall and his arms hugging each other, “I know we’re like brothers. But don’t say it like that; you’ll give misunderstandings to the others.”

“I’m not trying to cause misunderstandings, Sunggyu,” the Prince shuffled closer to him, his arms trapped the sides of his head to stay in place. “I’ve already admitted my feelings to myself, I can’t lie anymore. The butterflies in my stomach are truly there whenever you are near, and I can feel perfectly at peace by just standing next to you. So please, Sunggyu,”

“Stop,” Sunggyu covered the other’s mouth to prevent any more damage, “We’re just partners in the works. After you get better, and the spell lifts, you are going back to your castle. I am going home to the Service and continuing a normal life. You are confused and naïve, just clear your mind and think properly!”

Woohyun took his hand off, holding it above his head, “I am! You’re just denying your feelings! You deny the fact you mourn for a life that has been lost, you deny the fact that you care, and you deny that you’re in love! Sungjong told me you never let anyone get close; never put so much effort into another person’s life until I came. Why is that? Is it pity or just you came to a conclusion to become nicer all of the sudden?”

“Pity or not, whatever! Just as long as the feelings aren’t love, I don’t care! I do not love, and I’ve lost everything to love about! Stupid parents left without letting me convey my true feelings when I was still unsure. And girls all around the village submit through respect and fear of my demon! Why should I ever fall to love again?”

“Then what was that at Tida?” Woohyun panted out, tired from yelling and let his voice just drop, “Why did you use the natural demon healings in you saliva to patch the cut on my face?”

Sunggyu looked down, clenching his teeth together and felt his eyes turning again, “It would make sure that there wouldn’t be a scar.”

“Then how about the ship?” the Prince pressed further, “We were so close together, you even smiled through the contact. You cleared the pain away even though you could’ve let me suffer. You let me touch you closer than everyone else and almost kissed.”

“Shut up!” he snapped his hands out of the grasp and glared hard into Woohyun’s mind, “Whatever delusion you’ve put yourself into now, I want it to stop. Whatever wrong signals I’ve given, they were all misunderstood, Woohyun.”

“I don’t think so,” the other male stood firm, “I don’t care if that you are still confused. I’m in love, and your words won’t change my feelings.”

“You’re a fool, Nam Woohyun. You believe in false hopes.”

“False hopes, you can call it. But I believe you’ll admit it soon enough.”

Before Woohyun let him retort, he leaned forward to connect his lips onto Sunggyu’s firmly, unlike last time.

 

*

“Just around this bend and we’ll be home!”

Sungyeol bounded over the snow covered grounds like a tall bunny frolicking back to its burrow. Woohyun trudged beside Hoya, holding his cheek even through the night after he was kick out of his room and went to go crash in Hoya’s.

“You came on too strong, Woohyun.” Hoya shook his head, “Don’t you know about, you know, giving time or something?”

Woohyun sniffled from the cold, “But still, he didn’t have to sock me in the face and kick me out of the room.”

“I doubt Sunggyu-hyung would do that just because of your confession that we all knew about, what did you do after that?”

“I, uh…” Woohyun scurried away from Hoya, bumping into Dongwoo instead, “Oh, hi Dongwoo.”

“Heya!” the magician hugged his shoulder, “Are you feeling good? We’re almost there! You’ll be cured!”

“Yeah… cured of this alright.”

He looked to the usual front of the group like always, admiring the same tan fur of the fox that was following the tall man. Sunggyu seemed preoccupied with whatever spout Sungjong was talking to him about. The others went out to eat a big dinner last night while Sunggyu fumed in his room, Woohyun went out to make his sword upgrade, picking it up in the morning.

Speaking of the sword, when he went to go have it upgraded with the chucks of Mythril, the blacksmith said that the sword was from a top designer in the Providence. Quite shocked to see such a noobie like Woohyun, he could tell by his legs or something, was holding such a nice sword.

Saying you don’t care about me, when you get me one of the nicest swords out there? Talk about contradicting, Sunggyu!

They came around a corner of the mountain, coming to a steaming house that had two stories. Sungyeol hurrying over and opening the doors.

“Myungie!~ I’m home!”

Sungjong and Hoya rose eyebrows, “Myungie?”

“Yes, Yeol?” several coughs could be hear from upstairs, the man walking down the steps, “You’re finally home?”

Sungyeol jumped onto him, hugging and bringing him down the steps. Woohyun got a bit jealous because he couldn’t do that yet with Sunggyu.

“Everyone, meet my boyfriend,” the dark haired male beside him jabbed his side, “Myungsoo!”

“Myungsoo?!”

Hoya and Sungjong ran up to the man wearing a typical bath house robe and some sashes.

“Is it really you?”  Sungjong cupped his face, looking side to side, “Waa, three years later and you still look handsome.”

Hoya gave him a hug, “It’s nice to see you’ve settled in one place. I would have thought you would keep wandering.”

Sungyeol came up behind, “What? How do you know Myungsoo?”

“We’re brothers,” the three said together.

 

*

“While you guys are visiting, how about a dip in the hot springs? I’ll get Yeol to call up the Mage we know and get started on dinner. Enjoy yourselves, and thanks for taking care of my brothers.”

 

Myungsoo’s words repeated in his mind as he walked down the polished wood halls of the Hot Spring House. Sunggyu took off his uniform at his own room, making Woohyun room with someone else, but didn’t change into bath robes like the others.

He peeked out the corner of the locker rooms, still wearing his black shirt and a pair of plain shorts. His young companions were settled into the men’s outdoor hot spring. Despite the cold weather of the mountain, they looked fine sitting with only towels around their waists and in the warm waters.

He scanned the waters; Sungjong swimming lightly in the waters, Hoya sitting silently relaxing his stiff muscles. Dongwoo played with the water, making roses and such with a little magic. Finally he saw Woohyun, who was sitting and smiling at Sungjong. Sitting there beautifully and the slight tanned skin; a slight view of the other’s abs peeked out of the water since he sat in the shallow side.

It made his decision of rejecting the guy a bit harder.

The stupid Prince can go back to the castle after this!

He was about to turn around until Woohyun caught him beside the lockers.

“Hyung!” he called out, making everyone’s eyes onto him, “What are you doing over there? Come join us!”

Dongwoo sent a bit of water to splash into his face, quickly ducking to miss the attack. Sungjong waved his hand over at him, happy about the waters.

“You guys just relax yourselves,” he called back; “I’ll be in my room if you need me.” 

 

 


Thank you all for the new subscribers and views! I give you my loves for such a happy thing! Sungyeol and Myungsoo have appeared!

"A Loss for Words" is specifically for Sunggyu, Do you guys understand why? If not, ask me in the comments and i will answer! 

Thank you!
 

tumblr_mqf7kzbEVI1rsi8c4o3_250.gif