When They Meet

Whose Existence Vanished

Whose Existence Vanished

 

The Letter Bee Kim Sunggyu

Kim Sunggyu is a normal resident in the Kingdom of Little Petal in the East; the Lyvriè. He had a small house on the edge of one village called Tipa, working as a Letter Bee. Delivering letters, packages, parcels, and gift to anyone in the kingdom; he did his job diligently and proudly. He was never late on a deadline, and loved the untraveled roads that held so much mystery.

Going outside of villages was a hard and dangerous task. Without the protection of the crystal, which every town has, small or large depending on the size of the town; a normal traveler would quickly die of the miasma that hovered in the air outside. The crystal purified the air, and kept the demons out of town.

Though Sunggyu wasn’t quite normal; his father was actually a demon. He isn’t proud of it, or how his mother could even find such a demon attractive. His mother lived far away now, in the forest with his father. They ran away after the villagers found out, leaving the delivery service to Sunggyu. Irresponsible, in Sunggyu’s eyes, his parents; just up and leaving without asking the villager’s opinion.

The villagers didn’t really care one way or another. Many demons were friendly as much as there were deadly. Most villagers could tell apart the friends from foes, depending on the species. Some were like humans, and those were the trickiest.

His father had been one of those, a demon looking like a human. He was a buff man, strong and hardworking. When he set his goals, he would meet them. Always keeping a promise; his father was that kind of man. Sunggyu was proud of his father, he was a great man. Everyone in Tipa recognized him with trust, watching him leave and return to the town on deliveries. He had made Sunggyu’s dream to become like him. So naturally, his mother kept from him the secret of his father being a demon, expecting her son to lash out and hate him.

But his mother was being stupid, and he didn’t care. He is a nonchalant person, and it got him in trouble sometimes. He accepted his father, and accepted the fact he was half demon. There was no reason to whine and complain, he couldn’t do anything about it. He defiantly didn’t want to go to a witch doctor, those are scary.

So when the day came by, and the villagers and Sunggyu found out his father was a demon was the day that their crystal was fading. Caravans would venture from each town, in search of Myrrh, the liquid that purifies the crystal’s radiance. But it can’t be found anywhere; only by the trees that produce them grow deep in the dark depths of dungeons, across forbidding mountains, even beyond the sea.

Caravans are brave, and his father use to be in one along with mother before they started the delivery service. His father changed back into his former demon form; a strong fox, not actually the animal, only having three tails come out, some weird ears and some other fox parts; and went with great haste to find three Myrrh trees in time.

He came back three months later, tattered and bloodied, but with a crystal chalice filled to the brim. The crystal was restored to the shine that it was made for, and the town was safe for another few years. He always was astonished that his father went out on a one man caravan to find Myrrh, only few could manage to do so. But his father was tired after the trip, his age playing an effect on him and could not transform back into human on time. The villagers saw him in plain sight, and whispered to each other.

Though his father was strong, he was weak with anxiety. He panicked, and together with his mother they ran away to the forest, with a small crystal from their chalice to protect mother. His father didn’t need it since he was a demon. They left him a letter, and told him a proper goodbye the night before.

So like his parents, he grew up to look like his mother and act like his father. The villagers didn’t mind, telling him that his parent’s decision was in the end, theirs. One whispered to him that they actually went to go live together in peace in their old age. When this happened, Sunggyu was already seventeen. He was mature, and sighed at his parents.

It took him a while, since he only went out on deliveries with his father a couple times, but he got the service back in business after a year of training himself more and organizing the place. He came back with a different color other than brown on his head, and leaner than before. He admits he was a little fat when young. Only because his mother loved sweet things. His hair was now and never changed since, a messy caramel honey brown; a dull medium light brown is the boring way to put it.

From his mother, he was born with soft brown hair, a milky complexion, and quick hands. His mother use to be a piano player in the city, actually playing on time in the castle of Little Petal. She once told him the story of when she was in the castle. Wearing a creamy ivory dress with a pale yellow sash, his mother sashayed through the halls and ballroom to the piano. He slapped his face in embarrassment when his mother told him that all the guys catcalled her. His father looked annoyed at the remark. She played great with a classical feel, but Sunggyu liked it the best when she played that slight jazz every Friday night. The white piano still stands in the living room, Sunggyu not moving a single thing since they left. He plays himself sometimes, whatever songs his mother taught him. He also got his nagging self from her; she liked a clean house after all.

From his father, he got mostly everything else. His personality, quirks, and ultimately his demon self; to his dismay. Though he says he dislikes the idea of being half demon, he could never find out what was so bad. Sure having a black thin tail was annoying sometimes when he sat, but he learned to live with it and it helps a lot when it comes to balance and having an extra helping hand. Though he usually kept it around his waist and out of view; Sunggyu didn’t know why the tail never vanishes. He was more sensitive, and liked to sit in trees for naps. His father gifted him a quiet self and a habit of touching his bottom lip when in thought. Hardworking and a good man, he was happy his father gave him this.

He never in his mind thought that he could ‘transform’ like his father. He didn’t want to or find out if he can, it sounded all too tiring. Ah, and another thing; Sunggyu got his lazy personality from himself. Just liking the way the bed feels in the morning, and sleeping in until 2pm always was a treat for him on Sundays.

During his work, which he has been maintaining for the last two years, he has his trusty companion, Lee Sungjong; a Cat Sidhe. He was out picking up a package in the South; the Paradam, the dry dessert hurting his throat that thirst for water. It was about six months into the service, and already he was tired from carrying the heavy messenger back and wearing the hot uniform. He wished the job took place in the West; the Widal, where he could take a boat across the river and plenty of caravans to hitch hike from. Or that’s what he thought at that moment, now he could never think what his life would be like without that delivery to the hot dessert of Paradam. He reached the destination in night, shrouded by the welcomed cool breeze and shadows. Looking around, he found a boy chained to a simple metal pole stuck in the ground. He could easily run away, he didn’t see why the boy didn’t.

 

“What are you doing here, young man?” Sunggyu had asked.

But the boy kept his face straight to the place on the horizon where the sun had set, not bothering to look at Sunggyu. He huffed, but noticed the small postage on the boy’s cloth. Moving closer, he read that the package was the boy itself, and it had no destination.

“Lad” Sunggyu shouldn’t be saying that, since he was a ‘lad’ too, “Who put this on you?”

The boy kept his stare, but whispered, “Mother…”

Sunggyu nodded, “Alright, and when did she leave you here?”

Through his chapped lips and growing bags under the boy’s eyes, he answered louder with a croak, “Three days ago.”

He sighed, not knowing what to do. A delivery without a destination? Surely his father never said anything like this before, and he was on his own now. He looked at the boy again, and couldn’t help but hate the fact his mom left him here. But it was meaningless, because what if the boy wasn’t in good hands to begin with?

 

Turned out to be just that. After carrying Sungjong to a nearby village, he asked why he was able to withstand the miasma for three days. The longest a human could stay outside was a record breaking two hours before death. Sungjong ate and slept of Sunggyu for the next two days, until he was back to his cheerful self that Sunggyu would have never guessed he had. He explained that he was a Cat Sidhe, a demon. Changing into a white cat, then a larger white demon tiger, and back to himself again; as proof to Sunggyu.

He also explained that his mother had too many in her litter the third time, a surprising litter of five; Sungjong was the only one from the second. He and his two older brothers left home in search of a new home. The second eldest left first, ending up somewhere North; the Tierablia. The eldest child ended up in the center, the castle residential and most flourished part of Little Petal; the Flower Providence.

When it was Sungjong’s turn, he was still young, being fourteen. Sunggyu was an eighteen year old back then. His mother heard of the postal service when his father was still in charge, and sent a request beforehand. It would have taken four days for the request to reach him, and another five days for him to reach the specified destination so far away. And since he had extra deliveries along the way, there was never a set time he would arrive. But Sungjong’s mother had planned the time only slightly off by three days.

Having nowhere to go, Sunggyu relented and let the Cat Sidhe live with him. He thought, why not, and brought him home. The villagers welcomed him, trusting who Sunggyu trusted. And the boy was cute, making it easy to approach him. He was quickly accepted, and was recognized as Sunggyu’s friend in the postal service, working alongside him.

And now they were close, Sungjong knowing Sunggyu’s half demon. How else was he able to withstand the miasma so long? Though Sunggyu always carried a crystal chalice with him on deliveries. Tipa had a caravan, but just in case they had Sunggyu carry a chalice as well if he were to ever encounter a Myrrh tree. He had only found one, alongside an abandoned road. He had to defeat an ugly huge crab that was too old. It was hard, and he swore never to fight that long again. Training a bit more. Sungjong wasn’t with him at that time; he was still training back in town.

Sungjong would hold the chalice; he thought it was light, while Sunggyu would be holding the map. Both were clad in their Letter Bee uniforms his mother designed, but Sunggyu switched the original blue cloth with black and the gold lining with fake silver. It was cheaper, lighter, and easier to hide in the dark if needed. Their messenger bags filled with heart felt letters that the people would communicate with through the miasma that grew thicker every decade. And this thus begins the true start of Sunggyu’s complications. The Letter Bee from the Kingdom of Little Petal; the East, Lyvriè; Tipa.

 

 

The Passionate Prince Nam Woohyun

Within the Kingdom of Little Pedal, the Middle; the Flower Providence, stood the Rose Palace. This was the royal family’s home. Nam Woohyun’s home. He got what he, the prince, receives. Glory, honor, power, and indulgence. He was a happy boy, grew up to become a handsome eighteen year old. He was to go through with his becoming-of-man ceremony tomorrow, and felt completely nervous. False, he felt utter pride and arrogant to the others.

He swooned nearly every maid in the castle except the old ones, since they were wrinkly. Swave, bold steps he took as he felt his shoulder cape flutter behind him, heading toward his balcony.

His parents where the king and queen of the Kingdom of Little Pedal. They ruled with pure hearts, wanting the people to be happy in every way. Though the threat of demons and miasma still linger, they are thwarted off by their strong armies and their large crystal’s radiance. They showered him with love every day, whether it’d be his mother’s crazy surprise hug attacks, or his father’s home cooked meals; he couldn’t believe they find the time to still do this with him. It never relented but sometimes increased. His parents were incredible and unbelievable.

Woohyun had been outside the palace, but only in the Flower Providence. He wished to see the Grand River in Lyvriè, the vast desert of Paradam, the Lake of Remembrance in Widal, or the forbidding mountains of Tierabia. He read the journals of famous caravans that set out, and watched every time one of the several caravans the Rose Palace has return or venture out. He admired their bravery and strength, wanting to be a Myrrh seeker as well.

He felt a bonk of his head and reflexively shouted ‘ow’ as a response, knowing fully well who was responsible.

“Hoya, why so hurtful?” he pouted.

Hoya was his best friend, and personal assistance/trainer. He is a demon; a Cat Sidhe from Paradam. He’s younger than him by a few months, but was stronger and smarter. Woohyun thought it unfair as he was older, but wouldn’t want it any other way. Hoya was his most trusted companion. He told him his ‘secrets’ which were a collection of caravan pictures and journals he’s gotten. Hoya sighed at his prince’s antics.

“Oh give it a rest, Woohyun. Your ceremony is tomorrow, aren’t you excited or nervous?” Hoya asked. They were in private, so he smiled and called out to him familiarly like Woohyun enjoys.

Woohyun jumped back into his room and threw himself onto the bed, “I’m all ready mentally. Physically I’m gorgeous, and personally I think I’m the most passionate prince Little Petal’s ever had!”

Hoya sighed again, smiling at his friend’s words. He had certainly gotten the attitude from his mother, who loved to wear new clothes. The way he holds himself proudly, highly, and out shines the rest is exactly what his mother can do. They loved to shape hearts, and throw them at people, as if they were physically showing that they give love to their people. Though the people already acknowledge the love, they like seeing their royal family being silly like so.

He got his looked from his father, a man that was previously a caravan member. He rode the unkempt roads, searching for drops of Myrrh for the crystal, and the people. A grand body and even handsome face, his father fought down demons and hunted for Myrrh valiantly. He captured the heart of the Princess, and happily settled down after a long thirty years of the caravan. He says that Woohyun would be the most precious gift he ever received from the heavens, and it makes Woohyun feel like the most special in the world.

“Hoya,” he called, and his friend answered with a grunt, “Do you remember when I met you?”

He smiled, never forgetting the day when he left home, not knowing what was ahead, and ended up in front of the prince.

 

Woohyun was skipping down the streets in the Flower Providence. The whole thing itself was a city in the center of the country. It was the largest, and most people lived here. Woohyun couldn’t believe the people who still lived outside in the towns. They were small towns, and could be easily destroyed by demons. He shivered.

He was scared of them, the demons. It was the only thing that got to Woohyun. His father said they were ruthless and unforgiving. Killing and destroying what was in their paths, unrelenting and dangerous, he was told to stay away from the towns.

He walked further, going to a certain market he always liked when the apple stand owner was having an argument with a customer.

“Yah! These apples are of the greatest quality. One pound, 3 coins!” The owner yelled.

But the customer scoffed, “I’ve seen better, even in Paradam. 2 coins!”

Woohyun chuckled when he got closer, getting their attention. The owner stuttered and bowed to the ground. Acknowledging his presence but Woohyun hurried to pick him up.

“No need for that, I’m just strolling around like usual,” Woohyun smiled, dazzling the air around him. He picked up an apple from the cart, tossing it up and down, and then giving the seller 4 coins before shining it with his shirt and taking a bit.

“Mmm…” He hummed and swallowed, “I think it tastes great. As expected from Flower Providence! But this man probably knows a thing or two from originating from Paradam. It’s a long journey from there; I think he’s low on money. Maybe give him a discount, eh?”

The owner rubbed the back of his next, sorry to the customer as he allowed 2 coins for a pound. The buyer smirked and also thanked the prince, beginning to walk away when Woohyun noticed a slight lift in the other man’s hood.

“Yah,” he ran to catch the other in an empty alleyway, “You’re hood looks lifted; do you have something in it?”

The guy reached up to pat his head, to find out that there was indeed something protruding from his head. Instead of freaking out, he calmly stated, “Don’t be too surprised,” and just removed his hood.

Woohyun stood stupidly with his mouth open when the man revealed to have to cat ears on top. He ruffled his hair, trying to get them to sit down, but they seemed to be moving and free.

The apple man sighed, “Sorry, I guess they just come out when I’m happy?”

Woohyun pointed at him, “W-what are you?!”

The man sighed, “What did I tell you… I’m a Cat Sidhe from Paradam. My name is Lee Howon.”

“Cat Sidhe? A demon!?” Woohyun yelled.

Howon clasp his hands over Woohyun’s mouth, “Shh! Prince, I’ll be skinned alive if you yell that. Look, I’m not a flesh eating zombie or something. I’m a CAT. For s sake, a cat!”

Woohyun watched as Howon removed his hands, and he still stood there stupidly, “C-cat?”

The other nodded.

Woohyun tapped his chin, “…Howon sounds too stiff. How about Hoya?”

 

Hoya completely took out most of his fears of demons, though the cat still warned him about the douche demons out there. He offered him a job after their third meet up beside the apple stand and went from acquaintances to best buddies in no time.

He heard that Hoya had lots of other brothers and sisters, his mom just giving birth to a third and last litter about two years ago. He had a litter brother living up north, a bit younger than him by another few months. He was an early birth. And the only second litter brother living off somewhere he didn’t know. Hoya never told him their names, but he would like to meet one someday.

Hoya could turn into a normal tanned tabby cat, but then a larger classic tiger demon, and then human form. Hoya really didn’t like to be too in touch with his cat side. Although it does come out without him knowing, like at the dining table he waits for his food to cool significantly before eating and enjoys many milky drinks.

Woohyun was jealous, but never had any time to dwell on the matter too much as he went from lesson to lesson throughout the day. Learning his country’s history, geography, financial records, and more. To top it off, the prince had regular sparring with his instructor from Widal, the royal sword practice. He learns the basic flow and movement of the traditional royal rapier during these sessions, and they were what Woohyun liked doing the most.

At night, he would ignore the novel that Hoya had finished and recommended, instead reading another journal from a caravan. He was a child still, at heart. And Hoya didn’t want the boy to get hurt from the real outside world.

He couldn’t keep him from it though.

 

*

It was the day of Woohyun’s to-become-a-man ceremony. Today he is to choose between study, sword or marriage for his life to continue. He’s completed his childhood, and would be ready to set out as an adult. A scholar, an adventurer, or a husband; he has three choices.

Hoya really didn’t need to guess when his friend chooses the most obvious one, the adventure.

 

*

“Well that was boring,” Woohyun sighed. He just picked, had a party, ate, and then could leave.

Hoya nodded, not liking the situation. Especially when the king called them into a private meeting in the thrown tower now. They enter the final room on the top level, seeing both the King and Queen. Hoya immediately kneeled.

The king laughed heartily, “Stand, my boy. I have a word to say to the both of you.”

He stood beside Woohyun, their hands behind their waists and feet shoulder width apart. The queen giggled, “Oh, you two are so handsome. My children!”

The king calmed his wife, “Alright. Woohyun, my son, to choose adventure. Ah, my son you are. Why I never had ever guessed I would become king of my country. The country I love. The woman I love now and the son I was gifted with. I know you too well, and the other choices were empty, yet this one full of emotion. Where do you plan to venture? ”

Woohyun stared hard at his father, ambition burning in his gaze, “I plan to venture all of Little Petal. I seek the cold of Tierabia, the calm of Lyvriè, the heat of Paradam, and lastly the open plains of Widal. My country, I wish to see it with my eyes before I rule. I wish to meet the people I will care upon my shoulders, and lead them to happiness. I wish to feel how they feel in the depths of miasma and danger that they face behind every corner. How they live life, and meet firsthand what I can to do change it. This is my wish, father. And I will go on even without your approval, though I do wish for it.”

Hoya was going to congratulate Woohyun later that he did a wonderful speech, until that joke at the end. He sighed again at his never stopping friend, and the King laughed again.

“Oh you are indeed my son! I approve more than one hundred hearts beating in unison. Rest tonight! And tomorrow you leave for a new journey!”

 

*

That night Hoya felt something in his gut. Something told him to stay with Woohyun that night. Just to make sure he didn’t do anything stupid before tomorrow. But the smile his friend gave him reassured that Woohyun wasn’t that stupid.

He went to bed with a light heart, ready to set out tomorrow with his friend.

But Woohyun stood awake. He stood on his balcony, enjoying the night view of the city streets filled with the lights from lanterns and candles. He laughed at Hoya, who told him not to do anything stupid earlier.

What could he do up here that would be so dangerous?

Apparently the heavens seemed to be messing with him that night. As he stood on the balcony, unaware of the danger behind him; he stared at the sliver of the moon, which looked like a frown, and the stars that barely twinkled above him. He sighed.

“Oh heavens, you don’t bless me with a beautiful night before I leave?” He asked to no one. But got a response anyways.

“Because it was my doing, hehe!”

Woohyun whipped around, going for his rapier but it wasn’t on his waist. Only to be held on the old woman’s wrinkled hands.

“Give that back, unknown thief! Before I call Hoya on you!” he screamed, suddenly feeling weak.

The old lady swerved down on her broom, Woohyun scoffing at the cliché-ness she held. “Really, a witch?”

“Yes, I am a witch. A witch doctor to be exact,” the old lady smiled, showing crooked teeth and bad breath, “You were so cute, I watched you grow up since you were a baby!”

Woohyun scrunched up his face, “What in the name of-? Who are you woman!? Speak!”

“You made the wrong choice today, choosing adventure. You should have chosen marriage, and wed my daughter who was first in line!” the witch sneered, tossing the rapier back to Woohyun, “You’re such a child!”

“Watch your tongue!” Woohyun yelled, pointing the rapier back at her, “I am still the prince, and the choice ends with me. You only seek greed and wrath, I shall see to none of it!”

But the witch laughed, “You will see to nothing by the end of the night!”

Woohyun suddenly fell with a pain splitting head ache, groaning at it, he held his head and folded until his chest met his knees. “What are you doing, woman?”

“I will make sure no one remembers your existence until you find something worth value in your life. Everything was given to you, and my daughter wasn’t the only factor in this. You know nothing of true value, true earnings! All you have is fact and fiction, knowledge taught to you,” the witch doctor cackled out a snorting laugh, “But it’s ok, I’ll leave your precious ‘Hoya’ with you. Don’t want you to be too lonely. Everyone in the Flower Providence and towns in each section will not know of you.”

Woohyun only remembered a feeling of being very light, before his eyes shut to the black world of sleep.

 

 

Not a Package

“Hyung…? Ugh, what time is it?”

Sunggyu checked his old watch that his mother gave him, still working fines, it had just a glass over and inside was the exposed gears that worked the small device. The clock hands were an elegant pair and it showed an early 8am for them.

“Wake up, Sungjongie. We’ve still got a ways till the miasma stream. Is the chalice Water?” Sunggyu ruffled his younger friend’s hair and he fought to wake up himself.

The younger stretched, sitting up, “Yes, Hyung. We always stop by the same Water hot spot on the way back from Paradam.”

The miasma stream was a cave that held strong miasma currents; they divide the world into sections; in this case the country into sections. To cross each stream, the crystal chalice must now match the element of the stream. The stream repels any who carry a different element chalice. And the only way to change your element was to find one element hot spot hidden within the terrain to put the chalice in. Some are in towns, others in remote areas. None can be certain what they’d find in what place. Even the desert of Paradam maybe has a secret.

Sunggyu and Sungjong were currently camped in with another caravan. Finished all their deliveries in the South, they were heading home. To cross from Lyvriè to Paradam, you would need a fire element chalice. And to cross back, you would need water.

From olden times, the miasma streams weren’t too back, and many people could make it through with whatever chalice they had while running. Now the miasma grew thicker and stronger, the elements of the streams became more severe and people would need either the right caravan to cross with or the right crystal chalice.

Waiting for a caravan wasn’t the ideal option for a delivery service, and using the chalice they had in use, they were pretty much a tiny caravan themselves. Minus the large pulled wagon and well stocked food. The Letter Bees lived off small portions and leftovers, mooching off caravans and when in town feast with the little money they had.

 

*

Sungjong wasn’t too particularly happy with Sunggyu’s occupation. He whined about his for months, even when Sunggyu deemed him ready for a delivery. But on his first delivery, Sungjong realized why Sunggyu puts up with the terrible treks through unbearable terrain; eat off bread strips and dried fish or meat, and the constant change of caravan hitch hiking.

He was whining, about how heavy the bag felt. About the hot uniform jacket he already ed in the summer. About the Heat and just about everything else. Sunggyu paid no mind to his cat, walking onwards to their next destination. Sungjong huffed at his hyung, even whispering at that time, ‘hyung is a sadist!’

But when they reached the door of a little farm house in a town of north Lyvriè, Sungjong grew quiet. The door was opened by a kind woman, who welcomed them in. Sunggyu sat down on their diner table, comfortable and thanked them for the water. They motioned Sungjong to sit with them too, but he stood behind Sunggyu instead. A little girl, about age seven, runs up to them.

“My letter!” she had joyfully squealed, “My letter from Daddy is here! Mommy where is it?”

The mother laughed and picked up her child, saying that today was her birthday and they waited for the letter their dad/husband had sent them from the Flower Providence. Sunggyu nudged Sungjong with his elbow, lifting his chin up toward the girl. He hurriedly dug through his bag after Sunggyu whispered the name and address they were at to him again.

Finding the letter, it was perfectly intact from Sunggyu’s care of filing it, and noticed the date of delivery in the corner. The man had specifically asked for the letter to be received on this date, and Sunggyu saw right to it. He handed the envelope to the little girl, and her face brightened tenfold.

Sungjong still doesn’t know what he would call the feeling when the girl happily read out the carefully written message from her father. When the girl took out the photo that the father supplied them with, where he posed funnily beside an interesting statue; Sungjong felt something hit him. It didn’t hurt, but it filled his heart with something he can’t define. The girl was so happy, the mother laughed too, happy. Even Sunggyu smiled within a pause between a sip of water.

Sungjong didn’t say it, but Sunggyu knew. He wanted to make sure everyone’s letter was received.

 

*

“Sungjongie, how about I carry the chalice?”

Sungjong lagged behind. After they thanked the caravan, they said the goodbyes and good lucks, going separate ways. That caravan only needed one more drop before they could return to their village. They were actually heading back toward the town they were at the other day, only a hour’s away. It was always inspiring to see them work.

But Sungjong was tired, and handed the empty chalice to Sunggyu. They had weapons, they had skill, but they didn’t have the time to go off hunting for Myrrh. They had deliveries to be met, and things to pick up. Occasionally asking for a touch of Myrrh for another caravan to keep their chalice alive enough to go through miasma streams; without the crystal’s radiance, even miasma streams were too strong for demons their class.

Sunggyu trudged on, with Sungjong. They took another hour before reaching the said ‘oh it’s close by!’ miasma stream back to Lyvriè. Quickly walking and passing through the stream, walking very close to each other, the managed to get to the other side in twenty minutes.

“Wha! I’m tired!” Sunggyu sighed when they reached a patch of forest away from the stream, slumping down beside a tree, resting.

Sungjong quickly accompanied him, lying his head down on Sunggyu’s left thigh. His hyung was squishy, no matter how much he trained. Just like he still looked cute, even though he throws knives. They stayed like that, falling asleep unprotected besides the chalice’s small barrier between miasma and air.

Sunggyu felt his slumber lessen, staying in the same position just relaxing after he woke up. The area around him was beautiful, and wondered how the miasma could keep people from such things. He was admiring the sky when two bodies burst through the bushes. Sungjong awoke alert, hands going straight for the knives on his belt, while Sunggyu crouched searching his bag for the snap out bow.

But Sungjong put down the knives, and Sunggyu stared at him like he was stupid. Until Sungjong yelled, “Howon-hyung?!”

 This ‘Howon’ glared at his surroundings with red eyes. A man on his back that wore a silk white shoulder cape and silver shoulder armor. He was from the Royal Palace! When his eyes landed on Sungjong, going to Sunggyu, and then the chalice, he started deliriously struggling toward them.

Sunggyu and Sungjong got up; Sunggyu lifting the royalty off the assistant, while Sungjong slung Howon against his shoulder. Stumbling back to the chalice. Sunggyu held the dark haired man in confusion, but then heard Howon’s yell.

“Get him to the chalice quick! He’s human!”

Sunggyu push the guy onto his back and ran back to the chalice, forgetting that he was human for a second. He placed the man closest to the chalice, Sungjong busy tending the small wounds Howon had. Grabbing his bag, he took the pouch of water and let the unconscious man drink from it. Knowing that the first thing to do when humans are exposed to miasma, is to let them sleep it off and keep them hydrated.

“Howon-hyung, what are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be at the Providence?” Sungjong wrapped the wound on his arm.

Howon clicked his tongue, “I got a nickname now Jongie and it kinda grew on me. Call me Hoya, and it’s all this fools fault.” He pointed at the unconscious man, “His name is Nam Woohyun. The stupid prince of the Rose Palace.”

“The prince?!” Sungjong poked Woohyun’s cheek, “He looks like a weakling!”

Hoya slapped his back, “Yes, but he also took me in as a friend and we’ve been together since two years ago.”

Sungjong hummed, “I was with this stupid Letter Bee for the past two years too…”

Sunggyu huffed, “Mind explaining a few things?”

Hoya went on about how he was the assistant of the Prince. They had just finished the party of his ceremony, when Hoya left Woohyun to his quarters. But then a witch came up into Woohyun’s balcony and cast a spell. A spell that erased everyone’s memories of him. Sunggyu really didn’t care much about the prince’s status, he just wanted to make sure the damn guy doesn’t die.

Sungjong said oohs and aahs at the story, explaining that Hoya was his brother that went to the center. Both are Cat Sidhes, related. Sunggyu smacked his head for not making the connection.

“But we don’t have a place now. The Woohyun explained to me while we were stuck in the forest getting out, the witch cursed him until he found what his true valued thing was. But didn’t get it because he valued everything that was given to him,” Hoya explained. They had gotten attacked by a a bad group of demons, Hoya fighting most of the off but the small crystal on Woohyun’s neck faded, and they had to run. Finally stumbling across them.

Sunggyu scoffed, “You can’t know the true value of something until you made it yourself.” He stood up, brushed the dust off his pants and looked to toward Sungjong, “We have to make it back to Tipa before midnight. Come on get your stuff.”

Sungjong did was he was told, but asked, “Hyung, what about…?”

Sunggyu rolled his eyes, “I wasn’t just talking to you. I was also talking to this dead tree and cat. Pick up your ‘stuff’ and let’s get out of here before it gets too dark.”

Hoya smiled, half scoffing and half laughing at Sunggyu while picking up his prince onto his back with all bandaged wounds. 

 

 


Hello 

How's this? A different feel? haha, I don't know what I'm doing. This is all a secret from Swobchi, shhhh!
I will show her my masterpiece of a non editted story at the end, but for now, i like it. Haha. 
No Edits for grammar mistakes. Whoops. That's usually Swobchi's job.... 
But I'm confident in my skills, and I'm sure the readers will understand most of it. 

Thanks for reading the first chapter! These are going to be mildly long, so stay in touch with me? haha, thank you! 
and again, that picture on the top has no meaning. I mean, Sunggyu just looks cute there, no?