Chapter 3

Yes Or No (Part 1)

 

 

“Yes, Mom. I’ll visit Aunt Soon Kyu today. “

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll ask my roommate to accompany me. She knows the city like the back of her long skinny hands”

 

“No, she’s totally nice. Yes, we get along really well.”

 

“Okay Mom. Say hi to Dad and Hyuk Jun for me.”

 

End call. Sigh.

 

 

I lied to my mother so she wouldn’t worry that much even if I almost had to puke with all those ‘shestotallynicewegetalongreallywell’ words that came out of my mouth.  Tiffany said she’s sweet so I would like to know if I could get along with this Yoona even only today. I know it sounded like I had to get close to her because I need something but I have to swallow my pride, asking her to come with me to Aunt Soon Kyu's café because she’s sick, and that’s hard, too. And to be honest, I really want to spend some time with this annoying girl to see faults so I can't be interested with her anymore.

 

“Hey, Yoona, can I ask for a favour? Do you know where The Sunny Café is?”

 

“Favour? Nope. The Sunny Café? Yup, I know where it is. It’s pretty famous among students. I’m surprised that you still don’t know where it’s located considering you know Sooyoung.”

 

“Oh. I see. Well, I haven’t-w-wait. You know that I know Sooyoung? Are you stalking me? And there you are talking about me checking you up.” I .

 

“W-what? You’re way out of your head. I just accidentally saw the two of you in the cafeteria yesterday so I assumed that you two were close. Sooyoung was a school mate of mine before, that’s why I know her.”

 

“Geez! What’s with the ’w-wha, w-what’ now? And too much explanation. Why are you being so defensive all of the sudden?” I teased further knowing that I got the upper hand.

 

“Do you want my help or not?” She said, annoyed.

 

“Sorry, I’m just messing with you. You need to let loose sometimes and yes I do need your help. Yoona, can you accompany me to the café. I’m still not familiar with the streets here so I might get lost.” I pleadingly said.

 

“You’re such a baby. You need to get lost sometimes.” She said smirking.

 

“Yoong, I’m being serious here. I’m bad with directions.”  I guess she got shocked on the ‘Yoong’ part because she froze for seconds before answering. I didn’t even know why the heck I called her that when I’m really comfortable with just calling her ‘Annoying Girl’.

 

“W-well, you got to learn at some point. I have to go somewhere today so it’s either you’ll listen to the directions I’ll give you or ask somebody else.”

 

“Fine.”

 

“Good. Now, when you walked out of the dorm, turn left then turn right. You’ll see a narrow street. Walk straight then turn left again and right then another right and you’ll have to turn another left and you’re there. Got it? Good luck.”

 

Sigh.

 

 

Turn left then turn right. A narrow street, walk straight then turn left again and right then another right and you’ll have to turn another left and you’re there… Crap, I’ve been wondering this area for 5 hours. My sense of direction, why are you always failing me? It’s already dark and I even asked another person and it made me more confuse that I ended in a park.

 

“I’m tired. I’ll just seat here under the stars and—“

 

“You’re talking to yourself now?” Man, why are her doe-eyes so pretty when she’s smiling?

 

“What are you doing here? I thought you have to go somewhere?”

 

“Well, I already went and it’s been 5 freaking hours already. Shouldn’t we be home right now?”

 

“You’re worried about me being not yet home?” Aww, that is sweet!

 

“N-no. But my conscience cannot take that there’s a lost puppy that’s so bad at direction, getting lost somewhere.”

 

“I’m a puppy now?!”

 

“I never said that you’re the puppy unless you see yourself as a dog. You assume too much, Yul.”

 

Yul? Is it the way she said it or because she said it? As it is the best sounding ‘Yul’ I have ever heard in my freaking life.

 

“You’re calling me Yul now?”

 

“You called me Yoong and I didn’t complain.”

 

“In that case, Yoong, I know it’s already dinner time and I can’t cook my best dish here so would you like to go together to Sunny Café? My treat.”

 

“You can’t cook and you’re just asking me because you still don’t know where it is but what the heck…free food.”

 

“Pull me up, please.” I pouted. 

 

“You’re such a child and you’re older than me”. She knows that I’m older than her? How? But she obliged, sounding annoyed but I saw – her first smile.

 

 

태연제시카써니티파니효연유리수영윤아서현

 

 

The Sunny Café

 

 

“Aunt, are you okay? Mom said you’re sick? Don’t be too busy; take care of your health too.”

 

“Aish, you worry too much. I can take care of myself. I bought new games by the way; I’ll let you borrow some.  I just said that to your Mom so you could visit me. I’m happy that you did and you brought a very pretty friend along with you. Is she just a friend, Yul?”

 

“A-Auntie! Oh, I haven’t even introduced the both of you. Aunt Soon Kyu, this is Yoona. She’s my roommate and yes, she’s just a friend. Why would you even ask something like that? And Yoong, this is Aunt Soon Kyu, the owner of Sunny Café and my Dad’s single younger sister whom if you know someone please care to introduce him to her.”

 

“Hi A-Aunt Soon Kyu, nice to meet you. I’m Im Yoona.” Wow! She’s refined or acting refined?!

 

“No need to be too formal dear. Any friend of Yuri is like family members to me so relax and just have a good time here. What do the both of you want for dinner? It’s on the house so order anything you like.”

 

After we ordered...

 

“You said this is your treat but I guess you already knew that she’ll give these for free...” She said smirking.

 

“No I didn’t. I was really willing to pay but since you ordered for like ten people, I’m really glad that these are free. Can’t you just enjoy the food given? Now I know how you knew Sooyoung, you’re both shikshins.” I said smiling.

 

 

After we ate and said our thank you’s and see-you-soon’s to Aunt Soon Kyu, we walked home in uncomfortable silence until she broke it up.

 

“I think your Aunt knows that you like girls too.”

 

“How do you know?”

 

“It takes one to know one?”

 

“So, if what you’re saying is true, you’re like us then?”

 

“No, I am not. I just know. Why won’t you just admit it?”

 

“I won’t admit it because I don’t think I am. I may not have experienced liking anybody or anyone but if I like talking, playing, teasing, and being with someone that happens to be a girl…I’m gay already? Would that be the only thing that people see me? Would it just define who I am? Is that what people would think of me?”

 

“I won’t judge. I don’t judge.”

 

“But other people will.”

 

 

Another awkward silence…

 

 

“You know earlier, I think I can’t introduce Aunt Soon Kyu to any man because I don’t think she’s looking for one.”

 

“You mean she wants to be single forever?” I raised an eyebrow.

 

“No, I meant she’s just like you.”

 

“What do you mean she’s just like me? I don’t want to be single forever; I want to find that right person too.”

 

“It’s funny how you can say the word person but not the words ‘guy’ or ‘girl’.”

 

“Fine. Until I get butterflies in my stomach for the right guy then.”

 

“So you never felt like that to anyone, girl or guy?” I shake my head slowly to answer no.

 

“Me, too” She said, walking ahead of me.

 

 

It started raining so we had to run to get to the dorms before we get soaked.  I answered no, but the truth is, I’m starting to feel butterflies – because of her.

 

When we arrived at our room, we realized that her part of the window was left open so her bed was drenched.

 

“You can sleep on my bed” I offered.

 

“Eer, I’d rather not.”

 

“Come one, Yoong. I’m being a ‘gentleman’ here. Don’t worry, it’s clean and I’ll sleep on the floor. Besides, I’m used to sleeping on the floor when I was still in my hometown; it’s more comfortable for me. Cross the line.” I smiled.

 

“Are you really sure?”

 

“Yu—p…aaaaaaaah” I saw a lightning strike almost near our window and heard a loud roar of thunder after. I can’t help myself so jump and hug her like a little kid.

 

“And here you are telling me that I get scared of a still roach when you’re worse; getting scared of lighting and thunder when you’re inside of a safe room. You’re such a child, Yul.” She said laughing.

 

Yes, I may have a phobia for lighting and thunder but hearing her laugh, it’s the best therapy for me.

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Are you a scaredy-cat, you? Yes or No?

A shout-out to AwkwardJaylee for being my first upvoter!