Delusion and Mind Games

Under Empty Horizons

Sungjong covered his face with his hands. Only one thought penetrated the haze of panic he was experiencing – I’m going to jail. 

There were noises all around him – concerned voices of people, sound of cars screeching to a halt, the beeps of his own car and finally the thundering beats of his heart.

I killed someone – he couldn’t believe what he had done. Earlier, he had been feeling a lot of emotions - like sadness, frustration, anger, disappointment, but now all of them were replaced by one singular sentiment – fear.

He quickly got out of his car, trying to assess the mess he had made. He didn’t need to go closer, he could see the man lying in a pool of blood. Sungjong pulled at his hair.

What have I done?

Sungjong wanted to call for help but he wasn’t sure whom to call. He definitely wouldn’t call one of his brothers; they would scold him instead of helping him.  So without hesitation, he called the first person on his speed dial – his ever calm advisor, his best friend.

“Hello?”

“Oh my God Key, I killed someone. I’m sure he’s dead, he’s not moving. What do I do now? Do I have to go to jail? I ran him over with my car -”

“Okay Sungjong stop. First, breathe.” Sungjong did just what he was told to. Surprisingly, it calmed him down considerably.

“Now listen,” Key continued in a controlled voice. “First, call an ambulance. Send the man to the hospital, arrange for his treatment. When you’re done, trot down to your office, I’ll meet you there; I’m picking up Woohyun at the moment.”

“Thanks a lot Key.”

Sungjong tried to bring his panic under control. What Key had said seemed absolutely plausible. But there was one problem – he couldn’t go to the hospital and arrange for the dead man’s treatment. He can not step into or even go near to any God-forsaken hospital. He would rather meet Key and Woohyun.

So after calling the ambulance, he called up his friend Ren, explaining to him that he needed a favor.

The good thing with Ren was, he was always there when you needed him. And no matter whatever crazy request Sungjong came up with, he’d always comply.

So even though Ren was currently with his boyfriend at his appartment, he agreed to rush to the scene and take over Sungjong's duties.

He's so nice.

Ren arrived in 5 minutes, before the ambulance. Sungjong had forgotten that he lived nearby. He told him what had happened, and placed a wad of money and his car key in his hands. Then, not waiting to know if the man was alive or dead, he almost ran to the nearest taxi stand and hired one to take him to his office.

Once he was inside the taxi, he started to breathe normally. He thought about the man whom he had probably killed.

If his family ever gets to know…

By the time he got to his office and explained what he had done to Key, he felt relaxed. Another reason was Woohyun, who greeted him cheerfully and quickly climbed up into his lap.

“Woohyun, I think you grew, you’re heavier now!” Sungjong said as Woohyun pouted.

Woohyun was an extremely cute 4 year old, Key and Jonghyun’s adopted child. But he had a strong bond with Sungjong and even called him ‘daddy’. Sungjong also loved Woohyun as if he were his own child. Truth was, he was very close to being his own child.

“Daddy is it true you killed someone?” Woohyun asked, his eyes wide.

“Er…maybe?” Sungjong chuckled a bit, trying to distract Woohyun with a toy soldier while Key sat on a sofa, smiling at the duo.

“What if he becomes a ghost and haunts you?”

Sungjong scratched his head. “Good question.”

“Don’t worry daddy, I’ll protect you.” Woohyun put his arms around Sungjong, hugging him as best as he could with his tiny arms. Sungjong placed a kiss on his cheek.

“Thanks Woo.” Key laughed loudly.

“I don’t think your daddy needs protecting from ghosts, he loves ghosts.”

“In movies maybe, not in real life.”

Key was about to reply when Sungjong’s phone rang. He checked the caller ID – it was Ren.

“Hey genius, you didn’t kill the guy after all.” Sungjong let out a sigh of relief.

I’m not a murderer.

“That’s great.”

“Well not so great because he wants to see you and we’re coming to your office right now.”

"He's coming?...wait... what do you mean 'he's coming'?

Ren heaved an audible sigh.

"The guy you almost killed, he's going to go there, to your office." 

Sungjong listened, befuddled.

He is so not nice.

"Ren, if you are doing this as a revenge for me ending your date with your beloved Baekho-hyung..." 

"No hyung, this is not about you ing me and my boyfriend." 

"Then Choi Minki, tell me what is this all about?" Sungjong shouted as his patience ran out. He directed his gaze at Key, signalling him to bring Woohyun outside as he talk with his best friend and so-called assistant.

"Well... the man, whom you accidentally hit will be released from the hospital after Seohyun-noona can have a final check up with him. So we will be dropping by your office after we fetch his son from school."

"I know that Ren, but with all that blood that he lost..."

"Hyung, you're being delusional again. I was kidding. He only suffered from a mild concussion and a sprained wrist."

"What..."

"Sungjong-hyung, tell me, and be honest... are you still taking the pills that Suho-hyung prescribed you?"

Sungjong huffed impatiently.

"Look mister, I'm not depressed. I don't have any reason to take those pills -"

"That's it, I'm telling Key."

Sungjong was aplled by his assistant's gut.

"You wouldn't."

"I would, bye."

Ren hung up without giving him the chance to talk and when he called back, he wouldn't pick up. Key poked his head through the opening in the door. Sungjong gave an exasperated look.

"Choi Minki is so taking revenge on me."

"What's wrong?" Key asked, entering the room with a concerned look. He was closest to a mother figure Sungjong had at the moment. That could be both a blessing and a curse.

"Look Key, I need your help. Ren is bringing that dead man here and I'm going to go to my conference room and stay there. You handle the rest okay? If he wants money, give him money. I don't want to look into this. Please."

He arranged his face into a helpless look that always got him all the help and favors he needed.

"Deal," Key agreed.

"You're the best." Sungjong didn't wait to hear his friend's reply as he marched into his conference room and locked the door.

Finally, some peace.

 


 

A/N: Hi guys, this is co-author delib reporting. Well Rhay unnie told me to update this so here it is. She has an exam tomorrow so wish her luck. I hope you like the chapter.