11- Hearsay

Psychosis.

 

 

"Sulyeon, calm down. I don't... no, you're not making sense." Rayne sighed, allowing her head to fall back. Her bangs fell out of her face and she twirled one stumpy pigtail around her finger. She flicked her eyes over to Sulli, her girlfriend, who was cooking a pan of eggs at the stove. Sulli glanced over her shoulder, giving her a sympathetic smile.

Rayne listened for another moment in silence with a relatively neutral expression before she suddenly shoved her chair back and sprang up her eyes wide, so much so that you could see where her scarlet contact ended. "Gone?! What do you mean gone?" She raced through the living room, and out the door. The paper lay crumpled at the door, the word "Dyke" scrawled across the top in a red pen. Cute.

She opened it up, scanning the news until she came upon the missing person's report. "Sulyeon, please. Calm down. I'll be right over." She tucked the paper under her arm, walking slowly back into her apartment and swatting her sister's face.

"..." she mumbled, pulling the blankets further over her face.

"Wake up." she hissed, rounding the corner with a determined stiffness in her shoulders. "We'll be right there." Her eyes softened for a minute. "Calm down. Everything is going to be fine." the phone had already hung up, and she found herself commiserating with the dial tone. "Sulli-ah..." she groaned.

"What is it?" The eggs sizzled in the pan, and she dropped cheese in. "Who was on the phone?"

"Sulyeon." Rayne checked her face in the mirror, brushing her hair quickly out of her eyes. "Apparently Zelo, I told you about him, right?" There was a grunt of affirmation. "He ran off. From what I gathered he was completely unhinged. His meds disappeared or something." She began the laborious process of lacing her boots, the purple strings forming gaudy X's up her knees.

"It's in the paper and everything." Sulli brought over the breakfast she had made, casting a searching look over the paper.

"Oh, look at that face." she turned away and busied herself with the eggs. "What a shame. I hope he turns up." Rayne was already getting ready to leave.

"Serenity! Get your lazy out of bed!" A swaying hand came up, middle finger extended. "Real mature. I'm going to go talk to our friend about our other friend who is missing, and when I get back, I expect you ready to go." there was no response and she stalked furiously out of the room. Sulli caught her at the door, planting a chaste kiss on her lips.

"I'll handle her." she said this with a mischievous little smile and Rayne left almost worried for the wellbeing of her twin. Almost.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------

 

As Sulyeons' appartement loomed into view, the smell of bleach came barreling into her nose. She had no idea where it ended and where it began. It seemed to be eminating from the corner, between two dumpsters. There was a scuffling sound.

"Sulyeon?" No response. A silvery white cat prowled into view, its tail twitching anxiously. "Oh, hi Yuri. Where's your mama?" The cat rubbed itself between her long legs and walked mewling over to the door.

There was such a profound silence inside that Rayne wasn't even sure if she was home. It was the same conundrum in Alice in Wonderland, where the Footman and Alice discuss etiquette at the door of the Duchess' madhouse.

"The question is," she murmured softly, "If I am to get in at all." she tried the knob, which was blissfully open. "Sulyeon?" She stood halfway across the threshold, waiting for some response. There wasn't one, so she invited herself in, the cat following close behind.

Grocery bags littered the counter and there was a huge pile of dishes in the sink. Rayne could only guess at the meaning of that, casting a wary glance towards the hallway bathroom. She shut the door behind her and moved slowly into the kitchen. There was a large bucket filled with soapy water. A harsh medicinal scent wafted from the frothing surface, and there were rags coated thickly with a reddish-brown draped over the side.

There was a sound of rushing water and the door to the hallway bathroom creaked open. Sulyeon came out, her eyes distant as she wandered back into the kitchen. She didn't even notice Rayne until she had walked into her.

"Oh... hi." her voice was croaky and she had a blotchy red face at the moment. She was unwrapping a piece of gum, breaking it in half once and then twice, even though Rayne knew it was sugar-free.

"You weren't purging were you?" No response, she simply trudged back into the kitchen and began to unload groceries back into the suspiciously emptied cabinets. She would have to let this one go.

"So, tell me what happened."

Sulyeon shivered slightly, wrapping bags into each other and placing them under the sink. The crinkling reminded Rayne vaguely of white noise on a TV screen. Was she being ignored?

"He came by last night." Sulyeon reappeared, tossing her hair to one side as she leaned across the counter. A large purple bruise was evident at the base of her neck. "I found him outside." She motioned to the window. "K-" her voice cut off, and she looked like she might be sick.

"K? I don't follow..."

"He was... There were dead cats. And he was... playing with it, almost." Rayne pressed a hand over , disguising a gag at the thought with a cough, as though the news were a sip of water that had choked her. "He spent the night." That would explain the bruise. "He had cut himself up, too." Rayne was beginning to see the legitimacy of this situation.

"Did you...?" Rayne paused, watching as Sulyeon brushed the hair back over her neck. There was a knock at the door. Rayne flinched, dashing to the door and staring out the peep hole.

"Oh my God, it's his brothers." Sulyeon whirled around. "What do I do?" she looked terrified.

"Just tell them you saw him."

"They're going to think I encouraged him!"

"I think you should-" there was another knock at the door, more insistent this time.

"Open the door." she heard Daehyun's voice. Strained, tired, a bit sharp.

"J- just a second!" she grabbed the buckets and dragged them off to the side, hiding them in the pantry. She rearranged her pajamas, and patter her hair in place over the mark on her neck. With a deep breath, she opened the door.

"Hello, Daehyun. Himchan." They both looked a little worse for the wear.

"Hey, we're not sure if you've heard anything, but Zelo's-"

"Missing, yeah. We know." Rayne chimed from the kitchen, pulling up a news article on her phone. She had no idea what it said. "I came over to tell her." God, she hated being a good liar, but hey. If she got in trouble, no big deal. Sulyeon wasn't lying. Yet. Himchan looked at Sulyeon sympathetically, associating the dissheveled appearance with crying, instead of binging and purging. Probably for the best.

Daehyun however, seemed skeptical. "Is that so?" He leaned casually against the door frame. "We kind of figured he'd come here first, if anything. I mean... where else would he go?" his eyes were boring holes into Sulyeons' face and she could feel herself cracking. She was going to break down and tell them and they were going to hate her and...

"Hey, Daehyun. Ease up. I doubt that she would look so upset were he hiding in her closet somewhere." Himchan draped his hand over his younger brother's shoulder.

"That's not the point. He might have visited here." Daehyun turned back to Sulyeon.

"If I find out you're lying to me, I swear to God you will never see my brother again." Sulyeon swallowed thickly, watching him with frightened eyes. He was so intimidating.

"I'll give you one more chance to tell me the truth."

Sulyeon opened to speak.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

"God Dammit, Sulli! What the Hell was that for?!" shrieked Serenity, cold water dripping from her face and smearing the remnants of her makeup. The short girl simply laughed and tossed the morning's newspaper at her. She snatched it up, a rather unbecoming grimace marring her doll like face.

"Zelo's missing?! Why didn't anyone tell me? , I gotta go!" she leapt up and began to get ready, combing her hair, brushing her teeth. Hopping around on one foot while she laced up her shoes. All the while, Sulli laughed, packing her things up and getting ready to go home.

She ran out the door, not paying the slightest attention where she was going. She slammed full force into someone who in turn, staggered backwards and caught her.

"Watch where you're going, Serenity." Kai looked a bit happier than usual. His face was lighter and his eyes were not nearly as sullen as usual. He was wearing a short-sleeved shirt that broadcasted the roping scars quite nicely. What a fashion statement.

"I don't have time this morning, Kai." she said, a little breathless. "I have to get over to Sulyeons' house." Flirting was her specialty, wherein subtlety was her major weakness.

"Oh?" Kai tilted his head in mild interest. "What for?"

Serenity faltered... he wasn't exactly an ally of Zelo's. She pretended to search her purse for something, in reality she was sending a rushed text to her sister to ask her what to do. He reached out and plucked the phone from her hands.

"Nice try." He smiled, a wicked slyness tinting his green eyes. "If it's about Zelo, I already know. Sulyeon told me this morning. She was a wreck." He crinkled his nose in distaste.

Serenity gave a sigh of relief. Well, that solved that problem. "Wanna walk with me? I need to go meet up with Rayne under penalty of death. She's at Sulyeons'." Kai tapped his bottom lip for a minute, flicking the piercings with his tongue.

"Mm, I need to run some errands for my mom, but I can walk you halfway." He offered her his arm, smiling at her. Serenity blushed, her pouted lips turning in a smile.

"What a gentleman." As they walked, Serenity noticed a strange rattling noise coming from inside his backpack.

"You back on your meds?" She asked, curious about the change in his demeanor.

"Something like that."

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

Serenity came up to the door just as Himchan and Daehyun were leaving. They brushed past her without so much as a backward glance, leaving her a little stung. Rayne walked out moments later, with Sulyeon standing nervously in the doorway.

"Don't think badly of me, Ray." she pleaded. "I didn't know what else to say. I have no idea what they're planning." Rayne shrugged.

"Nah, don't worry about it. We'll fix it." she cast a sour look at Serenity. "Good to see you up."

"Hey, don't give me that. No one told me that Zelo had run off."

"Yes I did."

"No, your psycho girlfriend did." Rayne smacked her twins forehead, turning back to Sulyeon.

"So you want us to search for, what, Zelo? Or the person who took his meds?"

"The person who took his meds." Sulyeon chewed on a few lank strands of hair, her eyes dark with worry. "If we find Zelo, he probably won't stay. He's convinced he needs to get away from everyone." Serenity frowned.

"So who do you think did it?" She reached in her purse again, meaning to pull out her phone so that she could pull up names of likely candidates.

"I'm not sure. It could have been anyone, but at the same time... I mean. I feel like it must have been Jongup."

Her hand was coming up empty. Where was it? She'd just had it when...

"Oh, yeah that makes sense. I'd check for his number but I can't find my phone. Kai must have it." she said this more to herself than anyone else.

Rayne snorted, "What, you're dignity?" Serenity cast her a dark look.

"My phone." The twins began to bicker before something dawned on Rayne. She looked back at Sulyeon questioningly, who's mouth had fallen open and face had gone completely blank.

"Kai?" Sulyeon stared at her strangely.

"Yeah. He walked me halfway here, he was talking about how you and him had already talked..." her voice trailed off.

"I... never said anything to Kai." Said Sulyeon, her little frame taught as a bowstring. "I haven't talked to him since we left the hospital."

 

 

 

HERE IT IS GUYS FINALLY. I'M SORRY I HAVEN'T BEEN UPDATING, I GOT INTO A COUPLE ROLEPLAY'S AND HAVE BEEN GLUED ON, BUT I'M BACK AND I WILL UPDATE TODAY LIKE CRAZY. BE PREPARED!!!

 

-Serenity