Before

Eight Keys to Love

 

The princess looked at the beautiful garden with a bored eyes while kept sighing continuously. She just felt so annoyed with her parents for leaving alone to wait for them. She knew that it would not take the whole day but still, they shouldn't took her with them if she would just left to do nothing.

 

Suddenly, a rustling sound came from the bush behind her and she glanced back. Her back straightened in anticipation as her eyes looked to the front again. She didn't know whatever it was, so she have to be careful. She have prepared to attack it, but stopped when she saw a boy around her age was the one who coming out from the bush.

 

He was dressed in the same kind of clothes with her, so she assumed he was a part of the elite family as well. He smiled when their eyes met and he stepped forward. He sat on the grass beside her while she watched his every movement. "Nice to meet you, Princess," he greeted while she nodded at him.

 

She gave him a thin smile, despite her usual poker face. This morning, she remembered her father said that a real princess have to be polite whenever and however it was. Now, she would try it. "Nice to meet you too," she replied.

 

The boys was still smiling at her which she guessed that he must liked to smile a lot. Then, he stretched out his hand to her. "My name is Kris."

 

She stared at his hand and gave it a confused look. She have seen her dad shaking hands with the other people, but their was also a man. And neither my mom nor the other elite females I knew have ever done something like shaking hands to each other.

 

"Oh.. sorry, I know it is unusual for you." He pulled back his hand and instead, he made it rubbing the back of his neck. "Sorry for my rudeness, princess."

 

The princess watched as he looked down at his lap and she softened at the sight. "It's okay, Kris. By the way, is this your castle?"

 

"Yeah.." he nodded and began to smile again. "What do you think of it, Princess?"

 

"I have not been exploring all parts of this place, but.." she smiled a little. "I think the garden is so beautiful. It has lots of different kind of flowers here."

 

Kris laughed a bit. "My mom loves flowers so much. Every time she goes to the different places, she will bring home their unique flowers. Of course, some maid help her to take care of it."

 

The princess nodded as Kris turned around to her. "What kind of flower do you like?" he asked.

 

She thought for a while and said, "I.. don't know yet, I guess. I will like it as long as it's flower and not some kind of poisonous plant." She chuckled.

 

Kris grinned at her humor. He never thought the princess would be this fun to talk to. "Do you want to take a look?" He stood up on his foot and looked down at her. He stretched out his arm and said, "I can give you a tour around here."

 

She took his hand with a bit of hesitation. But then, they let go of each other hands after she stood beside him.

 

"Where do you want to start first, princess?" he questioned her.

 

"Anything will do," she smiled at him. The princess started to warm up to Kris as she thought the boy didn't have any intention to hurt her.

 

Although she didn't talk or smile so much, not much knew that the princess could believe in people easily. Because of her cold appearance, not much person approached her even just to try having a casual talk like what Kris did. Inside, the princess was just an insecure little girl who needed love like the other people.

 

____________________________________________________

 

The princess was smiling at the mirror while brushing her own hair. She has pushed some of the maids outside to let her do the make up alone this time. She took a flower hair clip and put it on her hair. Even for herself, she looked cute like how the ten-year-old girl should be.

 

When she stepped outside the room, the maids was giggling at their princess' new style. Although she always looked good, she looked extra cute today! All the people in the palace also wondering why their ice princess turned to smile so much for this past week.

 

When the King and the Queen asked their only daughter about it, she only smiled and said, "I realized I'm not smiling that much for this years. That's why I want to be a warm-hearted princess for the sake of this country and my people."

 

After that, no one really asked the princess again about her sudden change. Mainly, because they were happy about it and thought maybe it was right. But deep inside in her heart, only the princess herself that knew that she changed like this was also to make Kris liked her back. Yes, she was growing some feelings for the said boy since the time he tour-guided her around his place.

 

After all the preparation, they went again for another meeting to meet Kris' parent. Of course, she tagged along to meet the boy that she liked. She couldn't wait to meet him again! Now, she was standing in the same garden, waiting for him to show up. She only stood there since she didn't know where to search for him. Also, it was because she didn't want to be that obvious that she was excited to meet him again.

 

"Princess?" his voice came from behind her as he walked forward with a smile.

 

Her eyes was twinkling at the sight of him. "Kris!" She called back. When they faced each other, she took out her hand for a handshake, thus making Kris' eyes widened.

 

"Princess.. what..?" He looked up and down between her hand to her face.

 

"Let's do the handshake." She smiled brightly at him.

 

He titled his head with an amused smile on his face. "I thought you don't like it, Princess."

 

She shook her head with a chuckle. "I guess it's okay now."

 

"Okay then," he nodded while shaking her hand. She could feel the heat warmed up to her cheeks for the few seconds. Then, they pulled back their own hands.

 

"So, do you want to play something?" He asked.

 

Her eyes widened, but she quickly looked down to the ground. "I don't know.. I don't play that much with the other kids."

 

He lifted up her chin. "Then, we'll have a fun time today." He gave his hand for her to take it and he said enthusiastically, "Let's go, Princess!" And with the wide smile on their face, they started running.

 

____________________________________________________

 

Kris and Shinra's relationship continued for the next seven years. There maybe some little argue between them, but mostly it was full with happy memories. Each week, they would visit each other and spent their time happily.

 

Shinra - the ice princess - has turned to be a warm-hearted princess who loved by her people. While now, Kris appeared to the public like how the old self of Shinra. Sometimes, Shinra would jokingly said this thing to him, thus gaining the chuckle from the said male. But she knew that he have to be like this for his job.

 

She was passing the library room when she heard two person talking from the little gap of the door. She knew there was his father's voice, but she was confused as to how she also heard Kris'. She asked herself either she was just imagining things or not, so she stepped forward and took a peek.

 

Her eyes widened as she saw the tall figure of his best friend. Her father was sitting in the opposite chair of Kris.

 

"So, what is your answer, Kris?" His father asked. "I have already said it before that if you accept it, you must live in this palace. You are a talented politician, Kris, and I know you are very close to my daughter. That's why, I made the decision. You will accompany her to the other kingdom, I believe you can make out a great agreement with them."

 

Kris took a deep breath silently and said, "Thank you again for giving me this chance. I have thought about this offer for a full week, Your Highness. I will gladly say that I accept it." The King smiled. "That's good. So, when will you move here, Kris?"

 

"I have packed my things, Your Highness. I will start living here from tomorrow."

 

The King nodded slowly. "Planned as always. That's a good trait of you."

 

Kris bowed down his head politely as a thank you. "Your Highness, I will take my leave now."

 

"Yes, you may go now, Kris. We will meet again in the next day."

 

Kris stood up and bowed at him. "See you again, Your Highness. Have a good day." Then, he turned around and proceeded to the door while Shinra was continuing her walk again. She acted like she was just passing the library room.

 

Once Kris closed the door, he looked at Shinra who was now three meters in front of him. "Princess!" He called her.

 

Then, she stopped in her tracks and turned her body to face Kris. He was walking to her. "Oh! Kris!" She faked her tone as if she was surprised, but Kris wouldn't buy it. He laughed at her poor attempts, making Shinra frowned and spilled her own lie. "I know, I know," she snickered. "You saw me eavesdropping the conversation."

 

"Yeah, I could see your shadow." He nodded. "You should practice more, Princess. And.." He put his hands on his hips while shaking his head. "Eavesdropping is no good."

 

"Nah, eavesdropping is good. It gives you lots of information." She smirked. "I wouldn't know about you moving here if I didn't do that." And Kris only rolled his eyes at her words.