Part V

Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Part V

                “Ha ha, catch me if you can!” Taemin ran through the trees, his hair flowing behind him as he dodged through the trees. His pursuer was fast, but a bit clumsy. Just as he reached out his hand, he tripped on the old stump. ‘Ha, every time.’ He thought as he whipped around a tree and down the hill.

                The waterfall thundered on as he ran through brush. The pines and the leaves of the bushes pricked at his skin. He took his hair in his hand and turned a sharp corner. He fell backwards in surprise. There he was, leaning up against the tree. “Caught you again, my pet.” He said, coming forward, helping Taemin off the ground.

                “You just got lucky. We all know that I’m the one who wins all the time.” Taemin laughed.

                “Or,” he offered, “I let you win.” He smiled triumphantly as Taemin rolled his eyes.

                “Whatever helps you sleep.” He turned around and picked some berries from a nearby bush. He offered some to him.

                “No thanks, berries make you fat.” He said, winking at him playfully. Taemin smirked and rubbed them all over his chest. “Hey!” he exclaimed, trying to wipe away the sticky residue. “What was that for?” he asked. Taemin shrugged.

                “You said they made you fat, I wondered if they’d make you smell better instead.” He smirked.

                “Yeah, well they sure won’t make you faster,” he said, charging at him. They fell and tumbled part of the way down the hill. Taemin’s head fell into a patch of clover. He blushed and looked away.

                Brushing Taemin’s hair out of his face, he leaned in close. “Nervous?” he asked. Taemin rolled his eyes.

                “No, your breath just smells gross.” He said, pushing him off. He pouted, pulling clovers up from the ground.

                “Ouch, Taemin. That hurt.” Taemin ruffled his hair.

                “What, you’re gonna let a kid like me hurt your feelings?” he shoved him in the back with his toe. “Be a man!” he said, jumping on his back. He turned back to look at Taemin, and kissed him on his nose. Taemin’s cheeks flushed a bright red.

                “Ah! That is so inappropriate!” he said, turning away.

                “Why?” he asked, leaning forward over his shoulder, landing soft kisses upon his neck. Taemin shied away, trying to hide his smile. He laid his head upon Taemin’s lap. “Are you ashamed of our love, my pet?” he asked, softly caressing his face.

                “No, of course not.” He said, running his hands through his hair. “But, you know how Leader Heejun disapproves of our age difference. I know he’d prefer you with someone older.” Said Taemin, sighing longingly.

                He smiled. “I don’t want anyone else but you.” He said. “I may be an elder of the tribe, but I’m not that old, and I couldn’t imagine myself with anyone but you.” He sat up, twirling a lock of Taemin’s hair in his fingers. “Heejun is just, old fashioned. He’ll get used to it. He’ll have to, once we’re married.” A smile played across his lips.

Taemin smiled too. It wasn’t too far off now. A few more weeks, and he would no longer be just little Taemin, the youngest of the tribe, of age that is. “And what shall we do, once we’re married?” he asked.

He smiled and kissed Taemin upon his forehead. “What all married couples do, I suppose.” He said, wiggling his eyebrows. He and Taemin dissolved into giggles. “I assume, you mean about children, and such.” He said. Taemin nodded. He shrugged. “I haven’t planned that far ahead. I figured we’d enjoy married life and go from there.” Taemin nodded. He ruffled his hair again. “I know you like planning things out, but being spontaneous can be fun too.” He said.

“Oh? You mean, like this?” he said, pushing him off and sprinted towards the nearest tree. In a second, he was up and after him. He had him pinned against the rough bark.

“You’re just full of surprises, aren’t you?” he smiled as he leaned forward.

“You know I always have a little something up my sleeve.” He said. He too leaned in. His kiss was always so gentle, and sincere. His was the only love he could ever want or need. He could feel his arms embrace his tiny frame. His hands traveled along his broad back, resting just beneath his shoulder blades and the small of his back.

He jerked his head as he heard howling in the distance, rolling his eyes. He turned to Taemin. “Heejun again, what do you think he wants now?” he asked. Taemin laid back, slightly disappointed.

“Probably just another meeting. You know how worked up he gets when something big is going to happen.” He said, brushing himself off.

*****

Heejun was standing at the head of the clearing. The clan had gathered, the elders behind Heejun, everyone else before him. He winked at Taemin from behind Heejun. Taemin tried to stifle a giggle.

“Everyone, I have important news,” he said. His tone was somber, and his eyes showed fear. There was murmuring throughout the crowd. Taemin looked over at his friend Minho. Minho shrugged, his eyes wide. “Hunters have been spotted on the northwestern border.” Gasps emitted from all around him. “We need to tread carefully. Hide yourselves in the daytime, and be extremely cautious during the night. We shall meet again at midnight. Disperse!” he said, taking his own form. He and the other elders transformed, barking and signaling to the clan as everyone hurried off in a panic. He locked eyes with Taemin, signaling for him to meet him. Taemin nodded, and went off to their normal meeting place.

*****

Taemin tip toed around the stump, cautiously looking about. “Psst, are you here?” he asked. He jumped at the snapping of a twig, but it was only a rabbit.

“You ought to be more careful with hunters about,” he slapped his hands onto Taemin’s shoulders, making him jump.

“What is this about? Are you sure this is a good time?” he asked, looking about nervously. He nodded, drawing him close to him.

“It’s going to be alright, Taemin. I’ll protect you, no matter what.” Taemin smiled and looked up at him.

“That’s your job anyway. As an elder, you give your life for your clan, duh.” He smiled down at him and kissed his forehead.

“Yes, but for you, I would give my soul.” Taemin snuggled into his shoulder. “But whatever happens,” he said, lifting his face by his chin, “I want you to run. I don’t care what happens, but run. You are the only thing that matters to me right now.” Taemin nodded. “Promise, promise me you’ll run.”

“I’ll run, I promise.” He kissed him, and then he turned, and ran off into the woods.

*****

Taemin was in his clay hut. It was late, almost early morning. He heard the rustling of leaves, and snapping of twigs. His head shot up, and he quietly moved to the corner of his hut, hiding him but giving him a view.

Hunters. They looked about, fervently searching for them. Good for them, they were too busy scouring the woods that they didn’t bother to look at the ground or inside the trees. Lycans took it upon themselves long ago to take measures against the humans, and started building their homes in inconspicuous places. This heightened their ability to stay safe.

One hunter came dangerously close to his hut. There wasn’t much to it, if you weren’t looking at it too closely, it would just look like an ant hill.  The human looked about above him, and turned away. Taemin let out a quiet breath, and silently thanked his lucky star that he wasn’t found out.

The hunters stayed for what seemed like hours. It turned from morning to midafternoon in no time. He heard the all too familiar howl of Leader Heejun when the coast was clear. It wasn’t midnight, but he might just be doing a head count.

Taemin crawled out from his hut, and looked about. He could see several of his clansmen running through the clearing. He too ran out, transforming and running as fast as he could. Was he okay? Was anyone taken? He turned to see another one of his friends, Onew. Onew ran close to him. He never was one to like being alone.

They approached the clearing, and transformed back, joining their friends, Jonghyun, Key and Minho among the crowd of their clansmen. Taemin searched the row behind Heejun. Good. He was there.

Heejun cleared his throat, holding up his hands for silence. The crowd soon subsided. “We have lost two of our kind. They know we are here, and as has happened before, they will not rest until they catch one of us, alive.” He said. The crowd grew nervous and panicked. “We must move on to another part of the woods, only then do we have a chance of being safe.” The other elders moved forward. “We must hurry, before they come back. Move out.”

They all rushed in a panic, turning and running. Heejun moved towards the beginning of the pack, howling and barking at them to stop.

“Be orderly, don’t run over each other.” He heard another elder, Tony call. He searched for him through the crowd, and finally found him on the left flank. He stayed as close to him as possible.

*****

After what seemed like hours of walking, Heejun finally signaled to the clan that they were almost there. He had led them deeper into the woods, near some caves. They froze as they heard gunshots.

‘Run!’ Heejun barked. There was a frenzy of fur and skin as the clan scattered. Taemin flew past, searching for him. He knew that he wanted him to run, but he couldn’t help wanting to see him, this might be his last time.

He zigzagged through the trees, jumping over a mid-sized boulder and squeezing through dense brush. When he found him, he was leaning up against a tree, holding his side. Taemin turned, and ran up to him.

“Baby, are you okay?” he looked down. Blood was running through his fingers. Taemin peeled his hand away from his wound. A bullet was stuck fast inside him. “Come on, we need to go,” he grabbed Taemin’s arm, and brought him close.

“No, you need to go. Find as many others as you can. They’ve slaughtered plenty of our kind, and others, others-” he stopped himself to stifle a sob. “Others jumped into the ravine.” Taemin’s heart stopped. The ravine was a last resort. If a hunter cornered a Lycan, or sometimes, a wolf, they would throw themselves into the unforgiving ravine, filled with sharp barbs and jagged rocks. Death was imminent. No hunter could reach it, and it made for a quick and sure death. Taemin shook his head.

“Please, come with me.” Tears stung at Taemin’s eyes. “Please, we can make it! Come with me-” he grabbed Taemin by the shoulders.

“You promised me.” He said. Taemin nodded, tears running down his cheeks. He kissed him, his lips shaking, his heart pounding. Taemin placed his hand over his heart. Gunfire sounded, and they both looked up. “Go, if I make it, I’ll find you.”

“And if you don’t?” He Taemin’s hair, and kissed him on his forehead.

“Live. Love like your life depends on it. Move on. I’ll always be with you. I love you, Taemin.” He nodded, and kissed him one last time.

“I love you, I’ll wait for you.” He turned, and with one last look, he darted off.

*****

After a while, he met up with Onew, and later they met up with Minho. They found Jonghyun and Key were hiding in a tree not too far off from Minho. They heard gunfire and howling throughout the night. With every shot, and every cry, Taemin’s heart sank.

There was one moment when they all stopped. The all too familiar howl. Heejun. It sounded as if their leader had fallen. They looked at one another, in shock. If they did make it out alive, who would lead them now? Where were the other elders? Minho signaled for them to move.

It was hot, Taemin’s fur stuck to his body. It was making him itch. He had to stop and scratch. The others headed to the river. As he scratched, he noticed something off about six yards. He squinted. A body. His heart raced. He turned and ran forward. His hair clung to his shoulders as he slid in the mud.

It was him. His body was rittled with bullets. Taemin’s hand shook as he reached for his face. He took a staggered breath. Taemin’s hand went to his own heart. He was alive. But for how long, he didn’t know. “B-Baby? Can you hear me?” he asked. He slowly turned his head, and managed to open his eyes. A weak smile played across his lips.

“Taemin, there you are.” His breathing was heavily labored. Taemin reached out his hand again, and gently touched his face.

“You’re going to be okay,” said Taemin, moving his hair out of his eyes. “I’ll carry you, we’ll get you to Minho, and he knows how to fix this, Tony taught him.” He held onto Taemin’s hand.

“Don’t fool yourself, my pet.” He said, gripping his hand. “We both know I’m not going to make it. Just, just kiss me.” He bit his lip. “Then run, and don’t look back. I love you Taemin. Do that for me, will you?” Taemin leaned forward.

“I love you, and I always will. I’ll never forget you.” He kissed him, feeling him shudder from the trauma. Tears clouded his vision as he pulled away.

“Now run, Taemin. Run, and don’t look back.” Taemin stood up, and ran as fast as his legs could carry him. Wind whipped through his hair. Tears burned trails down his face. He reached Minho and the others, only to pass them. They followed him, their footsteps falling in with his own. His heart beat in his throat. He ran, as fast as he could. It was all he could do not to dissolve into tears.

His lungs burned with the effort. He had been running for miles. He fell down, face first into the dirt. Onew bent down to help him. They heard leaves crunching beneath footsteps. The footsteps echoed through the woods. His heart raced as he looked about. He saw several men standing about, spears at the ready. One stepped forward.

Taemin’s heart stopped as he looked up. At the head of the group, was Siwon. He looked exactly like….

“Kangta!” Taemin shot up from the bed, drenched in sweat. He threw off the covers and went to the window. He opened it. Warm salt air from the sea blew into the room. He took in big gulps of air, trying to calm himself down. He closed his eyes and rested his head in his hands. It was all just a memory now.

END OF PART V