Part II

Black Pearl
Black Pearl 
Part II
 
  Taemin lie alone in the woods. He didn’t know why he ran from Siwon. All he wanted to do was talk to him. But Taemin didn’t want to talk. He just wanted to run from the pressure and the doubt. He turned over. 
 
  What had Kyungsoo thought about when he was about to get married? Onew was right; maybe he should go see Kyungsoo. But then again, he didn’t want it to seem as though he couldn’t handle himself. Kyungsoo had. Why couldn’t he? 
 
  He got up and started walking. He didn’t know where he was. After he had left Siwon, he had just run blindly though the woods. This was unfamiliar territory. It wasn’t wolf territory either. It seemed like late afternoon. The trees were tall and thin, reflecting the red light of the sun. The sky was a crimson red, infused with fading yellow and soft pink as an orange ring surrounded the setting sun. 
 
  His head spun round as he heard a soft hum. He hid behind a tree, hoping it wasn’t a human, or something worse. He lowered himself and scrambled into the brush, watching through the leaves. 
 
  He heaved a sigh as an old gypsy woman came walking through. She was carrying a basket, humming softly to herself. He had seen her passing through from time to time. He wondered why she was here. Did she live here, somewhere in the woods? 
 
  Taemin followed her. He didn’t know why, but he felt that he had to. She made her way through a thick grove of trees, and down a winding path. Taemin did his best to keep up. For an older woman, she was rather nimble. She made her way through a tunnel; it was made up of twisted vines and thorns. Taemin slowly followed, trying to keep quiet as possible, dodging the sharp thorns and trying not to get any limbs caught in the vines. 
 
  When they finally emerged, Taemin saw an elegant little cottage. It had a rounded roof and a rust-red outside, with a stone pathway leading to the burgundy door with a twisted brass handle. The windows nestled on either side were made of yellow, green and red stained glass, a soft glow emanating from the inside. The cottage and small yard filled with exotic looking flowers were enclosed in a rustic fence. 
 
  “Come in, child.” The old woman called. “Really, if you’re going to follow someone, be a bit quieter. I may be old, but my hearing is just fine, dear.” She said, waving him in. Taemin shyly came forward. “Don’t be shy, child. It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve dealt with your kind.” She said, letting him inside the house. He nodded and walked in. 
 
  There was a cozy fire burning in the stone fireplace. There were hand woven rugs covering the sitting area, the passageway between the tiny dining area and the kitchen, and one right in front of the door. Warm reds, greens and blues swam before his eyes. The floors were made of light wood, the walls of dark wood. She led him into a room off to the side. 
 
  Inside the room, the walls were draped in plum purple curtains, swooping up to the ceiling to form a tent-like atmosphere. There were stands of black candles surrounding the small wooden table, giving the room an eerie glow. She sat him down across from the table, and took her own seat. She wore multiple strands of beads on her head, strung throughout her hair, and on her neck. Her clothes were bright and colorful, like nothing he’d seen before. 
 
  “You are unsure of your path,” she said, her hands grasping onto his own. “You seek answers to your burning questions. But can you find them here?” she asked him. He cocked his head. 
 
  “What do you mean?” he asked. She gripped his hand. 
 
  “What do you think you should do?” she asked, looking into his eyes with her hypnotic gaze. “I can only tell you suggestions. I will not tell you how to live your life. Your choices will make your own path.” She said. He nodded. 
 
  “I want…” he paused. What did he want? He had never really thought about it before. All he had ever really wanted was Siwon, and with the arrival of Kyungsoo, his world was turned upside down. Now, he didn’t know what he wanted. He looked up at her. 
 
  “I want to explore the world outside the territory.” He said. She nodded. 
 
  “That could be very dangerous, are you sure?” she asked. He nodded. 
 
  “I have never known anything but my old home and here,” he said, his voice shaking slightly. “But I feel in order to make a clear decision, I need to experience something new.” He said. She nodded. 
 
  “Wait here,” she said, rising from her seat. She went over to a table adorned with elegant scarves, and random trinkets. From the pile, she gently picked up a small pine box. She came back over and handed it to him. “Open it,” she instructed. He did as she instructed, lifting the fragile lid. 
 
Inside the box, there was a purple felt inside, with a simple necklace. A black pearl on a silver chain. He held it up. The pearl glistened in the candle light. “This will allow you to become fully human, and exit the woods,” she explained. “It will work for a month, until the next full moon,” she explained. “After that, if you still wish to remain outside, wear it until it becomes one with your being, and you will be human, forever.” Taemin looked up at her. 
 
  “And if I decide to return?” he asked. She clasped her hands together. 
 
“If that is your wish, remove it from yourself, and come back to the woods before the full moon.” She said. He nodded. “Make sure to only put it on once you are ready to leave,” she said. “If the Lycans or the wolves catch the scent of a human,” she paused, making sure that he was looking at her, paying close attention. “You will be killed. That, I am sure of.” He swallowed hard. 
 
“Are you sure you want to do this, child? It’s a big decision.” She said. Taemin took a deep breath and nodded. 
 
“I’m absolutely positive.” She nodded. “Then hurry, the moon is rising.” She said, looking at her clock. “You don’t have much time left,” she said. Her clock rang out as it struck 10 o’clock. The full moon was rising. “Make the most of your humanity. I hope your decision becomes clear.” She said. He stood up, resting the necklace in the box and taking it in hand. 
 
“I will.” He said, bowing and taking his leave. 
***** 
 
  Taemin ran as soon as he exited her yard. The wind whipped through his hair as he dodged branches and jumped over jagged rocks. He ran past the river separating the territories. He knew one side lead to where Kyungsoo had come from, the other was unknown to anyone. He ran to it with all his might. 
Taemin took into account that what he was doing was rather stupid. There was a very good chance that he would never see Siwon or Onew, or anyone else for that fact, ever again. But he had to know, that life at home is what he really wanted. 
 
  He stopped as he heard a rustling of leaves. He turned around. Siwon was standing there, breathless. He looked back. He was almost to his destination. It was right there, five feet in front of him. He looked back at Siwon. He looked frightened. 
 
  “Taemin,” he said, holding his hand outward. “What are you doing?” he asked, slowly coming forward. Taemin backed away slowly as Siwon advanced towards him. “Taemin, whatever it is, we can work it out,” he said. Taemin took a deep breath. 
 
  “Stop, Siwon.” He said, holding the pine box to his chest. Siwon’s eyes widened. 
 
  “Where did you get that?” he asked, looking from the box to Taemin’s face. He shook his head in disbelief. “You visited the woman in the woods, didn’t you?” he asked. 
 
  “That’s really none of your business.” Said Taemin. Siwon furrowed his brow. 
 
  “Anything you do is my business,” he said. “You and I are to be married, why are you keeping secrets?” he asked, still coming forward. “You can trust me Taemin,” he said, only inches away. Taemin shook his head. 
 
  “You won’t understand,” he said, opening the box, pulling out the black pearl. Siwon lunged forward, falling onto the ground as Taemin dodged him. “I’m sorry Siwon,” he said. 
 
   “TAEMIN!” he heard a voice call out. “TAEMIN!” as the voice came closer; he realized Onew was calling for him. Onew rested his hands on his knees. “Taemin! Stop!” 
 
  “Taemin, whatever doubts you have about us, we can talk. Just tell me.” Taemin looked over at Onew. 
  “You told him?” he cried. “I told you that in confidence!” Onew shook his head. 
 
  “I know, but I figured that since you were engaged, it might help if you two talk it out instead of running from your problems.” He said. Taemin shook his head. 
 
  “I’ve already made up my mind,” he said, backing up to the barrier. He could feel his back press against it. 
 
  “Taemin, what are you doing?” asked Onew. Taemin took the necklace, and placed it upon his neck. An uncomfortable vibration swept through his body. He could feel it in his eyes and teeth. He fell onto his back and tumbled over as he passed through the barrier. 
 
  “TAEMIN!” Siwon cried, rushing to him. He was thrown back into a tree as he touched the barrier. Onew stood there, pressing his hands into it. But no matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t pass through. “TAEMIN!” Siwon pounded his fists on the barrier. “Taemin, come back! Please, come back!” he cried. 
 
  Taemin stood up and looked out. There was a small city at the bottom of the hill, past the trees. He looked back. Siwon and Onew sat there in sadness and disbelief. He looked from the city to his friends. Was he really going to do this? Leave them for a whole month? Possibly forever? He gave them a sad look, and ran off into the woods towards town. 
 
  “Taemin, NO!” Siwon pounded onto the barrier, which only sprang him back to the tree. He sat there, tears of frustration running down his face. He looked over at Onew. “He-he’s gone.” He said. Onew nodded. 
 
  “Leader Siwon, What are we going to do?” he asked. Siwon shook his head. 
 
  “I have no idea.” He said. He looked down at his hands. He looked back up, and to Onew. “Minho, maybe he’ll know what to do!” he exclaimed. Onew nodded and helped Siwon to his feet. “Let’s get going!” he said, dragging Onew by his arm in his haste. 
 
***** 
  Siwon and Onew ran into the clearing of their village. Leetuk and Donghae came running up to them. “Leader Siwon, what’s the matter?” asked Leetuk. Donghae ran up to Onew, embracing him. 
 
  “Are you okay?” he asked, moving his bangs out of his face. Onew nodded. 
 
  “Where is Minho?” asked Siwon. Leetuk looked over at Donghae. 
 
  “In his hut, why?” he asked. Siwon took Onew by the arm.
 
  “We have something important to talk to him about.” He explained. He rushed over to Minho’s hut and pounded on the door. Minho answered, a confused look upon his face. “May we enter?” asked Siwon. Minho silently nodded and ushered them in. 
 
  They sat upon the floor, surrounded by Minho’s various jars and sundries as they had before, but this time, it was with a much greater sense of urgency.   “What is wrong, Leader Siwon?” asked Minho, sitting cross-legged across from them. 
 
  “It’s Taemin,” he said, “He’s left.” Minho’s eyes widened. “To the wolf territory?” he asked. Siwon shook his head. 
 
  “No, to the outside.” Minho’s mouth dropped. Going outside was unheard of. The only case he could think of was Kyungsoo’s, but he had been taken out by hunters, and he had still been human at the time. 
 
  “How did he make it past the barrier?” he asked. Siwon shook his head. 
 
  “He, he was wearing something. I think he got it from that woman who lives in the woods.” he said. Minho nodded. He knew of her, and he knew that Kris knew of her. However, to his knowledge, neither of them had ever spoken to her. 
 
  “I need to go to the wolf territory to speak with Kris and Kyungsoo.” He said, rising. Siwon looked at Onew. 
 
  “We’ll go with you,” Siwon offered. Minho shook his head. 
 
  “I could take Onew, but you have to stay here, Leader Siwon; should something happen.” He nodded forlornly. Minho nodded Onew over as they all exited.
 
  He led him to the entrance of their territory. Onew swallowed hard. He had never been outside this territory since he, Taemin, Jonghyun, Key and Minho came here many years ago. He looked over at him. 
 
  “Are you sure this is the only way?” he asked. Minho shrugged. 
 
  “I’m seeking their advice, it doesn’t hurt to ask. After all, we did figure out that they weren’t vicious heathens, as we each thought of each other before our initial meeting.” Onew nodded. “It wouldn’t hurt to ask them a few questions.” He held onto Onew’s arm as they stepped away from the village and into the
woods. 
 
***** 
  Onew looked about as they made their way through the woods. The trees were tall and thin, letting sunlight warm the earth through slivers as it peaked through the canopy of the trees. Leaves crunched beneath their feet, poking at Onew’s skin. It was rather uncomfortable. He swerved around sharp branches as they seared his delicate skin. 
 
  They came to the bridge that connected their territories. Minho gripped Onew’s hand as he trudged forward. Onew looked around. He saw a blonde and a dark haired boy with fierce eyes. Puppies ran around their ankles as they drew water from the river. The one with fierce eyes was familiar. He set down his jar and came forward, several puppies nipping at his heels.
 
  “Minho? What are you doing here?” asked Tao, shooing the puppies back to the river bank. Minho nodded to him. 
 
  “I need to speak with Kris and Kyungsoo. Do you know where they are?” Tao folded his arms in defiance. 
 
  “And why should I tell you?” he asked. Minho rolled his eyes. Tao had not taken to them the way Kyungsoo had. In fact, Kyungsoo had said that Tao didn’t take being away from home well at all. 
 
  “We need to speak with them, do you know where they are or not?” Tao rolled his eyes and pointed over to the village. Minho nodded. “Thank you.” Tao shrugged and ushered the puppies back over, finishing his task with the other boy. 
 
  Onew was surprised to find that everyone slept in caves. Their clearing was rather barren. ‘Surrounded by all this forestry, and they would rather sleep on the hard ground rather than a soft bed of moss in a tree.’ He thought, shaking his head. 
 
  They approached Kris, who was speaking with Kai, the leader of the wolf tribe. Kai looked at them, taking a protective stance. His last run in with the Lycans didn’t go over too well either. He attacked Siwon and Leetuk and Siwon had both countered him. It turned into an all-out battle, where Taemin almost died. 
 
Kris turned to them. “Hello, and to what do I owe this honor?” he asked. Minho bowed respectfully, nudging Onew to do the same. 
  “We need to speak with you and Kyungsoo.” He said. Kai let out a low growl, making his disapproval known. Kris put his hand on his shoulder. 
 
  “Talk, Kai. He said nothing more. Calm down, and fetch Kyungsoo.” Kai glared back at Minho and Onew as he turned to leave. Kris turned back to them.
 
   “What has happened? Is there something the matter with Leader Siwon?” he asked. Minho looked over at Onew. 
 
  “Not particularly. He is rather distressed right now, however.” Answered Minho. Kris nodded. They all looked over as Kyungsoo walked forward. Kai was standing off in the distance, watching them. Minho could understand. Perhaps he thought that they were here to bring Kyungsoo back with them. He thought that Kyungsoo had made it rather clear when he had returned home, that he wasn’t interested in Leader Siwon. Typical wolf jealousy. 
 
  “Sup?” he asked. Onew cocked his head. He was rather unfamiliar with human slang. It sounded strange to him, like another language. Minho politely nodded to him. 
 
  “We need to speak with you two, alone.” He said, eyeing Kai, who stood vigilant as he watched them. Kyungsoo nodded. 
 
  “Into Kris’s cave then?” he asked, looking over at him. Kris nodded. They all entered, sitting in a circle as he lit a fire so that they could see as they sat down. As they settled themselves into somewhat of a circle, Kyungsoo cleared his throat. 
 
  “Well now, what seems to be the problem?” he asked, turning to Minho. In turn, Minho turned to Onew. He cleared his throat. 
 
  “Taemin ran away,” he blurted out. The other two let out gasps of astonishment. 
 
  “Your alpha-female to be just left your tribe?” asked Kris. Onew nodded. “Whatever for?” he asked. 
 
  “He, he said he had doubts about marriage. I guess he couldn’t work through them. He wouldn’t talk to Siwon, and, and Siwon thinks he went to the woman in the woods.” Kris ran his hands through his hair. 
 
  “That seems like a big step to take over cold feet.” He said. Onew nodded. Kris looked over to Kyungsoo. “Have you ever met the gypsy woman that lives in the woods?” he asked. Kyungsoo thought for a moment, and shrugged. 
 
  “Unless she made her way into town, then no.” Kris nodded. 
 
  “Then you have.” He said, standing up, heading for the mouth of the cave. 
 
  “What is it, Kris?” asked Kyungsoo. Kris turned back to him. 
 
  “I need to talk to Kai.” He said. Kyungsoo nodded. “You stay here with them.” 
 
  “Alright then.” He said, sitting back down. He turned to them. “So, did he say why he was having these doubts?” he asked. Onew nodded. 
 
  “You.” He said simply. Minho’s mouth hung open in shock as Kyungsoo scratched his head. He wasn’t expecting that as an answer, and such a brazen one at that. 
 
  “Whatever for?” he asked. Onew shrugged. 
 
  “He thought that Siwon picked him as a second choice since he couldn’t have you.” He said. Kyungsoo shook his head. 
 
  “No, he loves Taemin! He just wanted closure with me. That’s all, I swear.” Onew shook his head. 
 
  “That doesn’t matter, Taemin is gone, and that is what he told me as his reason.” He said, looking up into Kyungsoo’s eyes. “I don’t understand why we’re here,” he said, turning to Minho. “If I and Siwon couldn’t talk him into staying, what are these two going to be able to do?” he asked. 
 
***** 
  “No,” said Kai, removing his children from his calves, leaving claw marks in their wake. Kris shook his head. 
 
  “We can’t just not help them,” he said. “After all, their clan depends on the leader having children if the clan wants children too. We can’t just deny them the same right that we have.” He said. Kai shook his head. 
 
  “I’ve already lost Kyungsoo, twice. I’m not going to let him go again.” Kris sighed. 
 
  “It’s not like that. We’d still be in the woods. I haven’t even thought about taking him out, or even how to do so if we were to come to that conclusion.” Kai just sat there, staring down at him. 
 
  “No,” he said. He looked down at his children. What if something were to happen to Kyungsoo, what would he tell them? What would he do? He didn’t know if he could go on if something happened to him. And say if they did go to the outside, what if they got stuck again? How long until they were able to come back? He shook his head. 
 
  “If you had come to them about Kyungsoo, I’m sure they would have helped you.” Said Kris. Kai looked over and glared at him. 
  “Don’t you dare compare Kyungsoo to them.” He said. 
 
  “Why not?” asked Kris angrily, “If he had been told the truth from the beginning, he may well could be a Lycan.” He said. A sharp pain swept across his face. He was on the cold, unforgiving ground. He looked up. Kai was towering over him. The puppies scattered, frightened. 
 
  “I refuse to be talked to this way,” he growled. “Kyungsoo isn’t leaving, and that’s final.” He said, turning away. Kris sighed in defeat as he rose from the ground. His cheek was beginning to swell. He turned back and headed home. 
As he entered the cave, Kyungsoo’s eyes widened. “Kris!” he cried, rushing to him. Kris put up his hand. 
 
  “I’m fine. I spoke to Kai,” he said, looking up at him. “He said that you weren’t leaving, even if it was in the woods.” Kyungsoo cracked his neck. 
 
  “You should have let me deal with this from the beginning,” he said. He looked back at Minho and Onew. “Don’t worry, I’ll be right back.” He said. They looked at each other and Kris. 
 
  “Will this end well?” asked Onew. Kris shrugged. 
***** 
  Kyungsoo went over to Kai and pulled him by his arm into the cave. Their kids were about to follow them in when Kyungsoo held out his hand. “Stay. Besides, you don’t wanna see daddy get a tongue lashing.” He said. The puppies sat down obediently and waited. Kyungsoo brought Kai far in enough to yell at, but not in enough to murder. 
  “What the hell is your problem? Why can’t I help our friends?” he asked. Kai stood straight as he crossed his arms. 
  “I am the leader, I said no. That’s all there is to it.” He said. He tried to turn away, but Kyungsoo pulled him back by his hair and brought him about to look at him. 
  “Look, I love you, I really do, but you don’t own me.” He said. “I am leaving with Kris, and you’re going to have to deal with it.” He said, turning to leave. Kai grabbed him around his arm and drew him back. 
 
  “As I told Kris, I’ve already lost you twice, I’m not about to do that again,” he said. “Especially now that we have children. What if you don’t come back? What am I supposed to tell them then?” he asked. Kyungsoo smiled and gently his face. 
 
  “It’s going to be alright. We’re just going to talk to the gypsy woman, and if it does come to going to the outside, I’ll come back to you.” He said. “I promise, just like the last time.” Kai’s face fell. 
 
  “But, what if-” Kyungsoo cut him off. 
 
  “Stop with that. I can take care of myself. I’m not helpless. I spent a lot of my life alone; I know how to protect myself. Trust me, Kai. I’ll come back to you.” Kai sighed. 
 
  “Fine.” He said, turning away from him. Kyungsoo came forward and wrapped his arms around Kai’s waist. 
 
  “It’s going to be okay, Kai.” He said. Kai put his arms around Kyungsoo’s, intertwining his fingers with his own. He turned to him and pecked him on the cheek. 
  “Just be safe and come back to me.” He said. Kyungsoo nuzzled his neck. 
 
  “I will.” 
 
***** 
 
  Taemin wandered through the small pine forest. It seemed colder here. But how? He was still in the same region. It didn’t make sense to him, but he had never left the woods. As he had looked back, he never realized the expanse of the forest. It stretched for miles, as far as he could see. 
 
  As he walked through the woods, the broken leaves hurt his feet, and the hot sun beat down upon him. He could see flowers through the trees, and focused upon those. His skin was scraped and bruised as he made his way through the brush and into a sunny field. The grass came up to his navel. The wind blew through his red locks. The air was warm, with the scent of honey. 
 
  The outside was beautiful. As he walked through the field, he could see the small city. There was a church bell tower sticking up, the bell tolling as it signaled its flock that service was to begin. He could see humans walking and milling about in the streets. Large buildings took up the middle of the city, while stores and markets made up the surrounding area, and branching out were the houses. He looked down at himself and back to the people. If he was going to fit in at all, he was going to need some clothes. 
 
  He proceeded to cautiously make his way down through the field. As the field started to thin out, the road to the city became more pronounced. He didn’t think being seen as he was could be appropriate. 
 
  He had talked to Kyungsoo a while back, and he had told him that being , which was the term he used, in public wasn’t seen as something acceptable. He went around a back alley as he entered town. He saw someone’s laundry hanging out to dry. 
 
  A lot of it was women’s clothing and undergarments. He walked through the yards, ducking low as to not be seen. He ducked and dodged through yards until he came upon the final line. It had men’s trousers and a billowing white shirt. He ripped them down from the line and quickly pulled them on. The pants were a tight fit and the shirt hung down past his waist. He’d find something more suitable to wear once he had everything figured out.
 
  As the sun rose higher in the sky, he merged himself with the milling crowd in the streets.
 
END OF PART II