Part XI

Black Pearl

Taemin stood aghast at what was going on. Heejun just ‘killed’ Hangeng. Siwon was Kangta’s brother? But how did no one else know of this? He looked over at Heejun. Heejun had to have known. He was the leader, after all.

Siwon and Kangta came face to face. “Stay back, pup. You don’t know who you’re dealing with.” Siwon glared at his older brother.

“I do, and you need to back off.” Kangta shook his head.

“I lost Taemin once; I’ll never lose him again. Especially not to an illegitimate bastard like you!”  Kyungsoo held in a gasp. This was getting heavy. This was also way more than he bargained for. Witchcraft? Brothers? Fiancées? All this new information was making his head spin.

“What went on between you and I or our parents has nothing to do with Taemin. I don’t care what you think you have, I won’t leave here until I talk to him. Now.” Kangta made to leap at him, but Heejun stopped him.

“Let them speak,” he said. Kangta’s eyes widened and he opened his mouth to protest, but Heejun put his hand up. “Just talking. It’s okay, Kangta.” He glared at his brother one last time, before turning his back and heading into his room. As he looked back at Taemin, Kyungsoo could see fear and sadness in his eyes.

Heejun turned to Siwon. “Talk. Nothing else. I will come after you if you try to kidnap him. He will leave of his own free will, or not at all. Do I make myself clear, Lycan?” he asked. Siwon nodded. Heejun turned to Taemin. “Go ahead, Taemin. It’s okay.” Taemin shyly stepped forward. “I’ll leave you to your own devices.” He said, walking into the other room that was off by the kitchen.

“Taemin!” Siwon embraced him, not wanting to ever let go. “Taemin, I’ve missed you! You have no idea how worried I was about you!” he cried, caressing his face gently.

“Siwon,” Taemin gently took his hands into his own. “I’ve been thinking,” he shuddered; the sudden memory of Hangeng being ‘killed’ invaded his thoughts. “I love you, but, I can never be the same after this.” He shook his head, looking up at Siwon. “I have, I…” he sighed. “I have changed too much to go back. I’ve learned things that I can’t unlearn, felt things I can’t unfeel, and seen and heard things I can’t unsee or unhear.” He looked over at the group, and back at Siwon. “I’m sorry, but you’ve wasted your time. I can’t go back, anyway. Not after finding Kangta. You all know the rules.”

 Kyungsoo, Kris, Heechul and Minho looked back and forth at each other. They seemed to be the only four oblivious to the rules. “I’m not familiar with the rules,” Heechul fearlessly piped up. Taemin looked over.

“Once you are betrothed to someone, that bond is respected and upheld by all clan members, and cannot be broken. It is as sacred as marriage itself.” He looked over at Kyungsoo. “I’m sure you understand?” Kyungsoo nodded. Taemin looked back at Siwon. “I’m sorry, I can’t go back with you.” He repeated.

“Do you know what this means for our clan?” asked Siwon. Taemin looked up at him.

“Did you think this was an easy decision?” he asked. “After all we’ve been through together, you think I just made a snap judgment?” he asked. He pointed over at Heechul. “Why not that one? If you’re that desperate, why not a human?” he asked. Siwon was taken aback. As was Onew. He looked over at Heechul, who was speechless. “You can’t expect me to just run back to you. Not now. I loved you, Siwon, but things are different now. I can’t just abandon my fiancée, he needs me.”

“I am your fiancée as well, how do you suppose this is to work, then?” he asked. Taemin scoffed.

“I can’t believe we’re having this argument right now! You know our customs, why is this so hard for you to comprehend?” he asked.

“Why is it so hard for you to face the fact that we need you?” he asked. Taemin shook his head.

“That’s just it. You don’t need me. You all do. I’m…just a tool to you.” Tears trickled down his cheeks. “You don’t love me. No matter how hard you try to make yourself believe it, you can’t love me because you don’t know me!” he sobbed uncontrollably. Siwon grabbed him by his shoulders and held him close.

“Don’t cry, Taemin. Don’t cry. I won’t hurt you anymore. I’ll leave.” He turned his chin upward. “But promise me you’ll be safe.” Taemin took his hand and held it to his cheek.

“I promise.” Siwon backed away, looking over at Heechul.

Heechul looked down. A second option. How could he not have seen that coming? But before he had time to protest, Siwon was upon him, throwing his head back and sinking his teeth into his neck. He kicked the wall hard, the pain was intense.

It burned with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns. He wanted to scream, but it was trapped in his throat. He went blind and deaf for an undetermined period of time. As he came to, the first face he saw, was Siwon’s. Somehow, his vision seemed clearer than it had ever been. He looked down. A small pool of blood has formed at the base of his feet.

“What, what have you done to me?” he asked, looking around the room. Everyone else seemed shocked, or frightened. Everyone but Taemin and Siwon. Both of whom looked angry.

“This is what you wanted, isn’t it? You’re mine now.” He said, bringing him closer. “You’re mine,” he repeated, running his fingers through his hair. Heechul sighed.

“Yours?” Siwon nodded. Heechul’s head was spinning. “Now what do we do?” he asked, somewhat afraid of the answer.

“We go home.” Siwon stated matter-of-factly. Heechul nodded.

“Home? Okay.” He leaned on Siwon, too tired to support himself. What he didn’t realize were the looks that Taemin and Siwon exchanged, or the looks of pity given to him by Onew, Minho, Kris and Kyungsoo.

Heejun then entered the room, as if on cue. “Finished, are we?” he asked, looking from Taemin to Siwon. He scowled. “Ah, blood on the floor?” he clicked his tongue as he got a towel and threw it on the mess. “You could be less sloppy, you know.” He said, shooting a look at Siwon.

“I apologize.” He said, bowing his head. Heejun shrugged.

“It’s fine. If you’re finished here, do you mind leaving?” he asked. Onew stepped forward.

“Will I ever see you again, Dad?” he asked. Heejun smiled sadly down at his son.

“I’m sorry, Onew. But I don’t think we will. It’s for the best, I suppose. Just promise that you’ll be happy, and I think I can live with that.” Onew nodded.

“I love you, Dad.”

“I love you too, son.” Onew turned away, and headed out the door.

The others followed. One by one, they left.  Kyungsoo paused at the door and looked back. Taemin had gone back to Kangta.

Heejun stood there, glaring at him with his icy stare. “You should run along now, wolf. It’s not safe here, anymore.” Kyungsoo nodded, and quickly shut the door, darting off after the others.

 

END OF PART XI