Chapter 4:

Falling Hearts

I honestly felt really uncomfortable holding Onew’s hand. They were as cold as an icepack and it send jolts down my spine, yet something about them seemed so soft and gentle. He stayed close to me …. A bit too close almost as if he was protecting me. I wanted to tell him to move away but I had already made everything worse so I decided it would be better to keep my mouth shut. As soon as we entered from what seemed like the rickety back doors I was blasted by warm air, as if something had been cooking on the stove for a while now. It was very dark I couldn’t see what the interior looked like.  I couldn’t even step onto the creaky wooden stairs without tripping. The sun was almost done setting.

 

But then the washed out yellowish lighting flickered on in the kitchen. It was just like my home. On Friday nights my brother and I would cook dinner together some days would be steak and some days would be pasta and on extra special days it would be a delicious strawberry cake. All that is gone, gone and taken for  granted. I softly laughed to myself- how funny is it that humans don’t realize how precious the smallest things are until they are gone. Onew cleared his throat and looked towards me. The washed out lighting resembled an abandoned hospital which all brought to many bad memories back to me. His expression was grave and almost mad It made him look much much scarier. He continued looking at me until I answered his question. And in reply I shook my head in a no “I’m sure you’re starving considering your circumstances. You know what you were getting along nicely with Taemin earlier and he makes the best food, I will ask him to make food for you?” he smiled softly. He changed emotions so fast it shocked me
putting his hand lightly on my back, he guided me past the kitchen into the living room

It was a big house, spaced out nicely. It was really well taken care of and in the kitchen, the walls were a yellowish white with a reddish smear here and there- that part scared me. Onew walked to where the main door was and took of his rundown sneakers. I noticed more red smears and stains on the wooden door. I didn’t want to look around anymore- I was scared. I decided it would be a good idea to keep my eyes on the ground. Onew was fiddling with the laces on his right shoe, but soon it loosened up and fell to the floor where a pile of other shoes was.

 

I kept staring at the ground, but I could feel Onew’s harsh look on me I travelled my eyes up to meet his cold eyes.
Almost immediately I looked back down.
“You know, if I were you, I would brighten up” he stuck his hand out “come on, I’ll show you around the house, since you’re our guest”.
The question kept itching me and I was really bad at controlling myself “`Onew why are you so cold?” Onew chuckled “I’m kinda dead”, he rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly afterwards his statement of being dead.
He led me around the house, explaining every place that didn’t need explaining.
The last stop was the television room, where Taemin and Minho were sitting watching TV off a small screen in the right hand corner of the room. I hadn’t caught them earlier because I was so fixed on keeping my eyes on the floor or maybe they had just walked in.
Taemin had his feet up and arms crossed bitterly but on the other hand, Minho was almost sprawled out on the other couch though they both had an expression that read somewhere along the lines of I-could-care-less.

“And this is our Television room, as you can clearly see” Onew pushed me roughly into the room and offered me to sit down, well it didn’t seem that I was very wanted here. But with Onew pushing me I would have to find somewhere to sit.     

 It seemed like the only vacant spot was the small space beside Taemin so I decided to shuffle over to Taemin and sit next to him.
Onew made some noises of disapproval since Minho didn’t bother to move from his position all over the couch. Of course it should’ve shocked me that these vampires care about manners

“What are we watching?” Onew sat down opposite of Minho on a single seat.
“We are watching a movie” Taemin answered in a that voice was quiet and sour, he wasn’t happy and that was more than obvious, somehow I got the message that Taemin was hurt with what I had said. That shouldn’t have surprised me as much as it actually did
 I loudly cleared my throat to capture everyone’s attention in the room, it took quite a bit of confidence for me as I slowly spoke up.
“Taemin, I-I’m sorry that I hurt your feelings, I just don’t really like – you’re type its because of my really rough past and I know it really isn’t your fault but I hope you understand what I have been through that causes me to behave like this please forgive me ” I kept my head down but Taemin’s face was practically gleaming with pride and happiness
 

Taemin’s mood and expression changed immediately not like Onew’s though. He sung my name and pet my shoulder like a child.
“Thank you, I’m sorry that you –don’t like our kind? But please, don’t treat us like savage people. And assume that all of us are bad we all use to be like you Sure we have all done terrible things to humans we never meant to and we just cant help it  but it’s been a –“ “TAEMIN!!!!” Key’s voice boasted through the house.

“Shut up kid you’ve talked to her enough ” Key suddenly appeared in between Taemin and I.

The sudden appearance made me fall back and sink into the couch. His voice was loud and it scared me. He seemed like the sassy diva.

should I be worried about this one….
“Oh my gosh, a real human girl, breathing, heart beating” he suddenly grabbed my hand and rubbed it between his freezing palms, feeling the warmth. I started squirming getting a bit uncomfortable with all this sudden touching.


“You act as if you have never seen a girl before” Minho commented with a playful grin as he sat up from his position.
“It’s just, I haven’t seen one in a long time and just…wow you are one gorgeous girl just like a living doll -beautiful” I was probably blushing like crazy I wasn’t used to such flattery, I would usually get bullied by guys at my school and neighborhood.  My eyes, skin and English name really made me the eccentric one and no one associated me to anything beautiful. Then again I haven’t seen my reflection in a while and people change fast nowadays though I doubt I changed in the good way. Key’s voice now calm and not sounding like a model on a rampage continued “Are you hungry? I will make you food” he then stood up and speedily disappeared into the kitchen. I was still not used to the vampires speed.  I sat there thinking to my self. Oh my this one has really left quite the first impression on me.

Taemin huffed bitterly again, “Always cutting my sentences”
 

 Taemin leaned back into the seat so we were both even on the sofa. I kept my eyes on my dirty callus covered palms, what beauty did key see in me I was probably the most un-attractive right now.

I lifted my head a bit to glance around, looking at all their features and the house.
Onew had his eyes closed, eye bags were accentuated, and the tiredness eating away at his soft features, he seemed to have aged years in just few mintues, Minho watched the TV lazily and Taemin was rather interested despite the fact that he had missed a whole section of it, nothing other than that had changed.

The television room was decorated the same as the rest of the house, cream wallpaper covered in discolored water stains. There was a soft beige carpet in the center of the room I could see more red stains lacing though the carpet.

 

They were most likely bloodstains…

 

 Taemin did say that they had done horrible things to humans before Key interrupted. A familiar ache settled in the center of my brain, my vision fogged up I looked down to rub my eyes and clear my vision. And when opened my eyes again the whole room was empty. And mysterious fog settled above the floor, the T.V was flickering on and off distorting the words of the cartoon character. It was a deathly silence and I could hear my heart beating rapidly, that silence was interrupted by the soft painful weeps of a girl. I got up, as my feet disappeared into the fog and followed the weeps to the stairs where Taemin was smiling sadistically at me, his fangs baring, softly nudging against his blood soaked lips, his hazel eyes fazed into a cold shade of maroon, my knees were becoming weaker his eyes hypnotized me I couldn’t stop walking closer. He nudges to the weeping girl in his arm.

 

It was me

 

I was softly weeping in his arms. He softy pets my hair, as I gasp and choke. The lights got dimmer the air got heavier as I go still, my lips turn blue, and my eyes go from lavender to a cold shade of gray and never close again. My head falls limp to the side into his embrace.  Taemin smiled even wider and points to the person dead in his arms, drained of blood. The beautiful dead doll. My arms started shaking as I fell back and the mist displaced around me, my screams were loud and painful. I started scooting away from Taemin as fast as I could gasping and screaming.

 

I shut my eyes and opened them again.

I was back to where I started.


Everyone was gathered by me as I was huddling myself deeper into the sofa- I hadn’t even moved….

 

Everyone was staring at me, with worry and curiosity. “ Are you okay??!!” Taemin questioned touching my knee. I flinched and fell back he looked at me in the eyes. They were different; they were soft and kind, not like what I remember. I had to not let them know about my weakness. “ um its nothing just a little flashback” I tried sounding brave but my voice came out crackly and shaky. “ Are you sure?” Taemin asked once more I nodded in assurance.

 

Key shoved Taemin off the sofa and took the seat beside me. “Here eat this and become strong” he said with a motherly smile I smiled weakly trying my best to push back any tears threatening to fall.  I grabbed the hot bowl of noddles and tried to calm down as everyone resumed to what they were doing which was practically nothing
 

I took the fork and twirled the noodles out of the boiling water and blew on them to cool them down

“Key, where is Jonghyun?” Minho’s deep voice echoed from the corner of the room where he was
“He is outside, he will come in when he is feeling better ” Onew answered in a matter of factly tone just as Key got off allowing Taemin to come beside me again, instead taking a seat on the floor near my feet.

Just as everything became silent and I was about to take my first bite, there was s shriek outside. I flinched at the noise and the noodles slipped from my hand and onto Key, making him scream. I was still weak from my fit and my shaky hands gave way.

“Aaaahhhhh, my carpet” Key jumped from his place, and started petting the carpet not even slightly affected by the boiling water that just poured on him, he was more worried about the carpet.

Key’s black eyes tinged into a red as he shot me a dangerous glare making me jump, Taemin slithered his arms around me.
“ key stop, calm the hell down you’re scaring violet and its just a goddamn carpet” Taemin scolded Key sounding extremely threatening and aggressive.
“But the carpet” Key huffed and threw the noodles into a pile beside him, “The carpet is already stained, who cares” Minho sprawled himself lazily back out on the couch making Key grumble and groan in annoyance, the red tinge in eyes went away and his eyes were back to normal.

“I’m really sorry,” I pleaded for forgivness at my mistake. As Key got up with the noodles in his hand, leaving the room. Not even glancing back at me or replying.

Onew spoke up from the opposite corner from Minho, “We really do need new carpet” making Taemin nod and chuckle in agreement.

 

After waiting for another 10 minutes, Key didn’t return which had me worried. My stupidity and clumsiness probably annoyed him to death already, they were probably going to kick me out tomorrow, or worse…..
 

I tried to calm myself down when a question suddenly itched my curiosity. I was also hoping to break the ice and show them I wasn’t a bad person

 “Who was the one screaming?” I suddenly blurted out making Taemin, Onew and Minho all look at me at once.
“Are you trying to have a conversation with us? What is this?” Minho looked away and backs at the TV. Clearly not taking me seriously

“It was Jonghyun” Onew smiled lightly and looked back to the TV screen. Although Taemin kept looking at me eagerly I recognized that face he was expecting me to do something.
“You haven’t met Hyung, do you want to meet him?” Taemin grabbed my arm and stood up.

“Doesn’t he want to – kill me and drink my blood?” the last part was quiet.
“Your wounds stopped bleeding, so there’s nothing to worry” Taemin pulled me up off the couch and dragged me out of the television room.

Walking around the corner to where all the shoes are and the front door. where Taemin and I stopped to see Jonghyun pacing backwards and forward on the cement porch.
Key was sitting on a garden chair explaining something to him or trying to calm him down.

Taemin softly looked down at me, “Stay here”.
He let go of my hand and walked out to Jonghyun and Key. Jonghyun had stopped pacing to look at me. Well it felt more like he was checking me out rather than just looking. I kept my head down again. But I glanced up for just one second. And our eyes met.

I jumped at the sudden eye contact; Jonghyun furrowed his eyebrows and shook his head. They were clearly talking to me, but what? I tried to tune my ear so I could eaves drop on their conversation. Just as I caught my name Taemin suddenly appeared beside me making me flinch. Still not used to their speed. He put his arm around my shoulders and turned me around so my back was facing key and jonghyun.

 “He said you smell” he laughed awkwardly “Not a bad, it’s a nice smell? Maybe you should…. shower?” Taemin kept darting his eyes everywhere and scratching the back of him neck not wanting to look at my face worried about my reaction. I nodded to the idea of a shower, I haven’t had one of those is a really long time. The idea sounded pleasant.

“Awesome, let’s get you a shower” he swung his arm upwards and darted down to the hallway expecting me to follow, which I did because I really needed a shower. I followed him up the stairs to the corridor past 3 bedrooms to the fourth one.

Taemin stopped in front of the door and waited for me catch up. As soon as I was beside him he pushed the door open.
“So…” he started quietly, “You do know how to use a shower right?” he looked down at his feet shuffling around nervously.
“Yes, I do know how to shower myself” I replied walking into the bathroom, Taemin exhaled loudly in relief. I couldn’t help but giggle the idea of showering with a girl made him so nervous. I hate to admit it but it was kinda cute.

“I’ll let you do your thing” and with that Taemin shut the door.

I walked towards the sink where there was mirror hanging above it, looking at the washroom. It was actually very nice and clean I was impressed. My reflection startled me. This girl in front of me not how I remember myself. I had golden tanned skin now I was paler than snow. My lips use to blend into my skin now they were cherry red. I use to have a round face and now all my features were sharp.  I didn’t look that appealing either way.
 

There was a hairbrush placed beside the sink, some toothpaste, a new toothbrush, a fresh towel and really everything that I needed.
I smiled to myself, how nice I thought. I removed my tattered clothes and placed them in a pile.

I waited for the water to warm up and I jumped into the glass shower. the fact that there was still such thing as heated water made me tingle with happiness
The glass started to stream up, creating a silhouette.  It was lovely the best feeling ever. I scrubbed the dirt out of my skin, washed my skin, washed my hair. Is this heaven? I kept asking myself.

Who would have thought showers were this great.
Turning off the water, I swung open the door and grabbed the towel, wrapping it around me. And I realized a fact; despite being so thin I still had really nice curves. It was slightly embarrassing to think about it. I patted the towel on my body to dry myself. “If I put my old clothes back on I will be dirty again”. Just as I was about to dismiss that thought. There was a knock on the door and Onew’s voice echoed through the hallway.” Violet I have some clothes, they are key’s but hopefully they will fit”
 

I could hear him turn the doorknob and watched as he opened the door ajar and slid the clothes in. Straight after, shutting the door.
The clothes were a nice plaid shirt another t-shirt some jeans that fit my thin legs nicely. Which didn’t surprise me much key himself was also very thin.

I put the shirt and jeans on and I tied the shirt up so I wouldn’t be so loose and slipped the plaid shirt on. I brushed my black hair to free it of any knots and parted my hair to the side it fell nicely along my face. Now I was all clean I looked at myself once more…. Maybe I wasn’t THAT bad looking.

 

There were still some questions I needed to know “I can’t be scared of them, I need to assert myself I need to show them I am strong” I stood up straight and went into the television room where Taemin and Onew looked at me and their jaws dropped. Oh gosh I though I must look really bad I thought. I could see Taemin blushing it made me blush. Suddenly key broke out whistling at me, as if I wasn’t blushing enough. “ Damn girl you is fine” he was joking I knew that and everyone giggled along. But they soon stopped when they saw my expression.

 

“Is something wrong?” Onew patted the seat next to him and I shook my head, standing my place.
 

Suddenly a pair of arms hugged around my waist and picked me up.
I clawed at the arms as they put me down next to Taemin.
“You’re too annoying, my head has been pounding for the last hour, can you just cooperate?” It was Jonghyun.

At the moment, I curled up on the couch.
“And I thought we were getting somewhere” Taemin huffed.
“ I have a few questions I need to know the answer to” Minho sat up as Jonghyun sat down next to him. “Well what do you want to know” Minho asked sounding slightly amused.

I looked at Minho in the eyes, “Everything” I muttered.
Key stood up and leaned against the walls “That’s a lot of things you want to know”.
“It’s the only way I can trust you” I mumbled and Taemin nodded, “I can understand that”.

Onew and Jonghyun also nodded understanding.
It surprised me how much calmer Jonghyun was, before he was so angry and distressed, his eyes burnt holes through me and now he was so calm.

“Well, Jonghyun-“I started looked at him, “Hmm?” he turned his body a bit to look at me more easily.
“Why did you scream early?” I blinked a few times as he thought of the best way to reply.

“I’m going to be straight forward here, I wanted to drink from you, really badly, it’s been awhile since I’ve had fresh blood” he bit the inside of his mouth and Onew face palmed groaning. Jonghyun’s voice was really robotic and monotone it was also really soft it made him seem scary no matter how calm he was.

I shuffled backward and hit Taemin; he wrapped his arms around me again and rubbed my arms. “Don’t be scared, we won’t hurt you” Taemin kept rubbing my arms trying to comfort.

“You wanted to know” Jonghyun shrugged, “Any more questions?”.

 

 

oh damn this one is long 

so im going on vacation so i wont be able to update for a while so thats why this is long 

i hope you like it 

upvote and subscribe

beacuase i will love you all ~3~

muahh my subbies

have a wonderful day

smile

be happy~

baiiiiii