I think I am going to die.

The Listener, The Observer, The explorer, The story-teller

 

So with the newfound amazement for the boy from abroad, Taesnin was finding his days ending quicker than before, since now he had a lot more to keep him entertained during the lifeless afternoons and enough to think about at all the other hours of the day. Sure enough he worked like before, helped his father with chores at home and met with Azam everyday, but now he always had something, or rather, someone on his mind. He always kept trying to figure some of the boys actions out, tried to look out for people from his community and even for his family members. 

 

Azam had started referring to these activities from stalking to obsession, Taesnin liked to call it admiration; ‘‘I am not obsessed with him silly, I’m just intrigued by his mannerisms, his way of being, so flawless. I just wonder how one can be like him’’, he comments to Azam as both of them walk away from home after escorting a group of travelers.

 

‘‘Ammm, I’m still sticking to obsession, or stalkerish, you can pick.’’ 

 

‘‘You wouldn't understand, it’s more along the lines of idol-worship.’’

 

‘‘So now you think he’s a god, ladies and gentlemen, my dear friend has officially gone crazy’’, Azam says sarcastically gesturing to random people walking by and pointing at Taesnin. 

 

‘‘Ya! Shut-up, stop that!’ Taesnin instantly captures both of Azam's hands and shoves them to his sides so they would stop attracting so much unwanted attention. 

 

‘‘What do you find so great about him anyway, he seems just about normal to me. And don’t say his face, because his eyes look like a frog's.’’

 

‘‘HEY!!! Don’t say that okay!!’’, Taesnin answered back forcefully and paused to continue a little more softly as he thought about the boys appearance, ‘‘How can you say that even, haven't you seen him, the lineaments of his face are in perfect proportion to each other. His effulgent, molten-brown eyes are orb round and dart constantly, a-gleam with delight and the vigour of youth. They were soft, slanted eyes, swam with joy, they shone brightly, like two sapphires that paved portals to his soul, his...’’

 

‘‘Okay stop, you sound like a pathetically defensive love struck girl, I cannot handle any more of this. I have somewhere to be and wherever that may be, you’re not tagging along’’ Azam cut him off mid sentence as he was pouring his heart out in regards with the boys beauty and to be very honest, he did sound a little too cheesy, sort of like a pathetically defensive love struck girl. 

 

‘‘Azam, don’t be like that, I’m just stating the facts, everyone agrees that the man's handsome, there is no point in shutting me!’’ Taesnin says as they still continue walking together. 

 

‘‘Nope, no more fact stating for you. I’m going!’’, and with that he starts walking towards a different part of the town. 

 

Taesnin has no option but to let Azam go and think of something to do alone. He decided to turn back and head towards the park, at least he could go for a jog there, or sit under one of the many huge shady trees. The thing is, the park that he was going to was not like the parks we are known to nowadays, it’s probably twice the size of Central Park, or Hyde Park, it’s just as green, but the trees there were uniquely Arabic. His town was so close to the desert that having such a huge green area would astound most people, but Moroccan ingenuity and their extensive knowledge in botany along with irrigation had made these kind of parks available in almost every big town. The parks were beautiful in all aspects, they had huge fountains in the center, all the trees were only initially planted and then were made to grow wild but they still maintained a perfectly symmetrical order all throughout, it was breathtaking.  

 

As Taesnin entered the great park in his town, he instantly felt calm and soothing, he did not really have an agenda for visit today, especially since Azam abandoned him so he decided to just walk around till he finds something interesting enough to do. 

 

~*~

 

I think my favorite place in all of this town is the park, it has a surreal ambiance, clean air and no matter what spot you find yourself at, it was always scenic. It surly inspires me to write a lot every time I come here, and today is no exception. I find my self a shady tree to sit for a while as I bring my book out and start noting down things that I had already observed today. A particular description of a boy has stuck in my mind, it was narrated by a young Qatari just a little while ago actually. I was walking over here and considering the rush in the narrow Bazaar streets, I was forced to walk right behind a pair that was arguing over a boy, someone who I assume one found admirable and the other not so much. Their argument was light hearted and pretty amusing, I still remember most of it. I knew I was going to write it in my book but then one of them started describing the boy with such beautiful words, I found the rest of the conversation childlike compared to it. Whoever they were talking about must have been ruggedly handsome from him to use such language, before he could finish his thought though, he was interrupted by his friend, I was surely annoyed a little bit by him then. 

 

People might think it is rude for me to eavesdrop on conversation like this, but this was an unusual situation, I was pushed up behind the two of them, and it's not like I can turn my ears off or something, I'm just glad I got a chance to listen to, or rather experience something like that. I could not see either of the boys faces, but from their accent they did sound Qatari, Moroccan habitants, I wonder when I can see either of them again, it would be nice to have a little chat with such interesting characters. 

 

The best part was the variety of flaura and fauna that I found myself surrounded by, the desert plants in the park were cinnamon-brown and dripped with hook and barb, the flowers were gold vein-yellow and looked just as precious, the trees that cloaked everything, making men like me look small, stood tall in an Eden-green majesty of leaf and lushness… 

 

I continue to gaze at the plants and birds creating a live image of nature's simplistic beauty. As I attempt at capturing the moment in my diary, I hear pitter-patter of what I miss took as the possibilities of rain, but were instead footsteps of three young children making their way towards me. I break a smile as I see them approach me with their own innocent ones and I feel a warming in my heart starting to grow. I have a little cousin brother of my own and playing with him makes me more happy than ever, children are always so charming in their own unique ways, filled with optimism and cheer, they come around to make my day a little bit brighter. I look up to them as they stand surrounding me, I wonder what it is that they want from me.

 

 A girl that looks to be the age of eight or nine leaned in a bit and attempted at reading my diary, I hid it from her more because of instincts than matters of privacy, I look at her and see an expression of  disappointment and instantly regret my actions. A boy that was standing next to her looked at the last child with a questioning face, and received a little nod in response, as if telling him to go along with something I did not know of. Then he spoke in a small voice, a little hesitant and pretty scared, ''Is that a storybook you have there sir?'', I thought about what to say for a second before nodding my head and smiling up at them, I wanted to reassure them that I won't hurt and so that they won't be so tensed and scared of me. 

 

''What kinds of stories does it have?'' They felt more comfortable now as the girl dared to ask. 

 

''Stories about everything really, different places, different people, everything.'' I din't exactly know how to describe what all I wrote in my diary, it consisted of all kinds of experiences, most of them good, but I made sure to write even those that made me cringe sometimes. 

 

''Sir, would you read us one of these stories then?'' The third child finally spoke and she had the sweetest voice, a little high pitched but surly sweet. I did not want to refuse them, especially since they were being so nice and speaking so respectfully, but I haven't had anyone know about the things I write here so I was a little bit unsure of what to say. 

 

I presumed the kids sensed that and they exchanged worried glances amongst each other and then looked at me. Their eyes were big and gleaming with an undeniable shine, all of them so genuine and curious as to what I'd say, I had to give in and agree to their request. I flipped a few pages and turned to an entry from India where I had met kids just like them as they were telling me about Indian traditions and festivals of light and colour. I presumed that the trio here would find it interesting, even a little bit magical. 

 

~*~

 

I couldn't believe my luck, this was uncalled for, I am not prepared. It had been almost fifteen minutes I've been lazily walking around the park and who do I stumble upon, looking fresh as the morning sun, neatly dressed, lounging under a big Argan tree, none other than the boy invading all of my thoughts, try and keep calm Taesnin; what was he doing here? 

 

I then notice three kids crowding him and take in what actually might be going on. He has his book open and is surly reading some if it's contents to them, all three of them were listening with sincerity and curiosity. It must have been something interesting, oh of course it was interesting, I wanted to know what he was saying, I wanted to be the one he was reading to! I cannot believe I'm being a little (over the top) jealous of kids that are probably half my age. How did they manage to approach him, or did he call them, did he know them? I could see his lips moving and reciting words that got the kids excited and happy, one of them even clapped her little hands causing him to look at her with eyes that glimmer with satisfaction and smile an affable smile, one that tugged at my heart and that was now etched in my memory for a lifetime. He spoke with pronounced expressions like he had to do those things to keep the children entertained, his eyebrows raised at certain words and eyes squinted at others, I was in a trance without even knowing what he was talking about. 

 

I leaned sideways on a tree that was right next to me and started at him shamelessly. I was at an distance that allowed me to get a good look at his face but I was out of earshot and so I just resorted to taking in all the glorious beauty that made up this man. It was really bad that I did not even know his name and so every time I thought of him, my mind just referred to him as someone above the rest, like he possessed divine powers or something. Although, now that I know he reads to kids from his book, more like a storyteller, I'm starting to get used to using that term instead of whatever I did before. He could still posses divine powers though, like a godly, mystical storyteller that lurks in the depths of the great park, this man surly he gets more and more intriguing by the day. 

 

I'm so captured by his presence that I conveniently ignore the part when the kids get up and start thanking him for reading to them. He shakes all of their hands and smiles princely one last time before they're off. I see him close his book and look up to take in his surroundings, my heart involuntarily starts to beat a little faster from this moment on, I know him looking my way is inevitable but I'm still throughly caught off guard when it does happen. I see him looking straight at me and his expression changes to one of confusion, his eyes grow the slightest bit and so does my breathing. My heart is racing faster than ever before and I feel like I am going to faint. It must have been just a second worth of  eye contact as we look at each other and I really cannot take it anymore, I think he probably hates me already and so I do what any sensible person would have done in this situation. I run. I turn around and sprint with all my might to no real destination, just with hopes of being as far away from where I was as possible. My face is on fire and breathing is becoming hard, my heart has forgotten how to calm down and my head is starting to ache. There are butterflies in my stomach from minutes ago and them fluttering around like is making me sick, I think I am going to die.

__________________

 

A/N: Hey guys, at least this one had some 2min interactions, even though it was only for a second, haha. Tell me how you like (or dislike) this chapter, thanks!~