Daniel

Her flaws

"Daniel, can I have a moment with you?" Minyoung asked Daniel on her break during dance practice. She could'nt wait any longer. She just felt like this Daniel is different. He looks like someone Minyoung was once so close with, someone she once told all her secrets to and someone who protected her from all those evil people who bullied her while she was once a newbie in the school. And she just had to ask him. Once and for all. 

 

"Yeah? Is there anything I can help you with?" Daniel faced Minyoung's sweaty face. Although her face was sweaty and unsettled, she still looked beautiful and pure. She still looked beautiful without any effort and sometimes Daniel just wondered how can someone look so beautiful without even trying. 

 

"Uhh...yeah. Daniel, I know this may sound too sudden but, I need to get this over with. It has been in my head for a few weeks now and everytime I looked for you, they told me you're not in. So...I need to ask you now. Do you mind if I ask something personal?" Minyoung tried her best to use the best choice of words. 

 

Daniel wavered for a second. He tried his best to keep his profile as low as possible. But the fact that Minyoung did'nt remember him made him disappointed. If he was someone Minyoung had looked up to, or had respected, she would've definitely remembered him, no? But since Minyoung did'nt remember him, then...who is he actually in Minyoung's eyes? Is he just like those normal friends she had or someone a little bit important to her? 

 

"I'll take that as a yes then. Hahaha. So...Daniel, where do you used to school when you were in kindergarten? Just answer me normally. Just take it as a normal question. Not like an interview or anything, alright?" Minyoung assured him. Daniel just nodded. He did'nt know why but, now he has to be aware of the words he use. In case...if anything happens. 

 

"Yeah, its ok. I used to school at Yoohae Kindergaarten when I was small. It was a place I can never forget. I spent most of my days there since my parents died while I was young. My grandmother was'nt so nice to me either, so I had to somehow become an independent person so I could take care of myself. And it was'nt hard because...a certain someone helped me overcome my sadness." Daniel looked at Minyoung, his eyes filled with hope. *Could she perhaps remember me or....* 

 

"Really? I used to school there too! I know right! That place was the best! It was the only place I would go to other than my house. The kids there were friendly and nice! There's this kid, he...he..what's his name? Hmmm...wait. His name is...is..why can't I remember his name? I'm sure he was someone so nice to me. He was the nicest, no doubt. But...why can't I remember his name?" Minyoung tapped her chin, knocked on her head, trying her best to remember that certain name but..it just did'nt occur in her head. Her head was hurting abominably she could'nt help it.

 

Daniel saw the sudden change in her and his heart hurted. Why is she doing this? He cleared his throat and asked. "Are there any other questions cause I gotta go now." Daniel turned to leave when Minyoung grabbed his wrist. "No. I'm not done yet. I have plenty more questions to ask you. Come, sit."  Minyoung tapped the seat beside her and Daniel rolled his eyes when she was'nt looking. He can't bare to see her hurt like this. Not anymore. 

 

"Can you please make it fast? I don't have all the time in the world you know." Daniel said coldly. Minyoung nodded and continued, although her head felt like it was about to explode anytime. "Ok then, you said your parents died right? How? When? And...who killed them?" Minyoung's last sentence sounded as if in pain. As if she knew how it hurt to loose someone whom you love deeply. 

 

"Yeah, my parents died when I was 5. They were on their way to fetch me, but they died, just like that. I only knew they died when yo- no, when my teacher told me. I cried and cried, till my tears went dry. It hurt. I was'nt able to really understand what happened cause I was too young back then. It . I thought maybe after they're dead I was able to live freely. But, I was wrong. Because the people around me treated me like trash. But I was fine because yo- because my aunt was there when I needed her." Daniel ended his sentence. 

 

Minyoung shed a tear unnknowingly. She did'nt know why but she felt like she heard this story before. Scratch that. She felt like she experienced it before. She felt like it all sounded so real and so familiar. But no, her parents were still alive and kicking, there's no way it could have happened to her. But why? Why was she able to feel the pain she knew Daniel went through?

 

"Oh...right. I'm sorry, for that question. But you know what? Why does the story sound so...real? Like I feel like I was there when it all happened. Do you have any id-" "No. Forget it. Maybe its just your gut feeling. Are you done now? Anyway, why are you suddenly asking me these questions? Why do you even care? Wait, did Kangjun even allow you to do this? Won't he feel suspicious? Huh?" Daniel looked at Minyoung like she was the person he hated the most at that point of time. 

 

"Can you just mind your own business? I'm tired. Go back in." Daniel ordered. Minyoung was taken aback by Daniel's cold words. Like he was attacking her with those cold attitude of his. He used to be someone she was close with other than Kangjun. But why? Was her questions too personal or..? Was it wrong for her to ask that? *But he gave me permission to ask personal questions so there's no way its my fault, right?* Minyoung thought to herself. 

 

"Minyoung! We're starting practice darling!" Haejung shouted from the practice room and Minyoung scrambled for her things and went in. 

 

-----

 

"So babe, how was practice and...did you ask Daniel? About his personal...stuff." Kangjun looked for the right words to say. He did'nt know why he was stuttering but shut that. It's Minyoung's turn to talk. And he was curious as well to what she has found out. It was hard to make Daniel open up or anything but from the looks of it, Minyoung does have something. And he knew it was going to be something interesting. There has to be. 

 

"Practice was fun, as always. Hani got a new boyfriend, by the way. He is so sweet I tell you and oh my god he is-" "Babe, main point please?" Kangjun cut Minyoung off, knowing if he were to let her talk more, it won't end even after a whole year. Ok, lied. Maybe for 3 hours? That's long enough for Kangjun to wait, okay. "Ok, sorry. Well, he had quite an interesting story I have to say. His parents died when he was 5. In a car accident. Yeap." Minyoung turned to face Kangjun who looked like he was already absorbed in the story. Just a few words could make him interested, really. Cute.

 

"He did'nt tell me much though cause I had no idea why he suddenly became emotional if thats even the right word to use, cause I clearly asked for permission nicely before I started asking questions. You know your girl, right? Anyway, I started with simple questions like, where he used to school when in kindergarten and stuff. And he answered normally. Good, right? But what I find weird is that, it's not only him. It's me as well." Minyoung stopped and Kangjun was left to stare at her. 

 

"Huh? You mean? Babe, explain clearly please cause I feel like sleeping already. It's not interesting anymore. What happened? What do you mean by 'me as well'?" Kangjun gave Minyoung the blur face. But yeah, he was blur. Too blur in fact. Minyoung tapped her chin, remembering her chat with Daniel earlier. Well, the reason she started asking these questions was because she felt like the name 'Daniel' was so familiar, too familiar. She had to do something about it. And now that she did, it's making her head dizzy. Real dizzy. 

 

"Babe, when he was answering me those questions I asked, it felt like deja vu all over again. Like I've been to where he had. Like I knew what was next. Like his parents dying in a car accident, I remembered holding him and hugging him, comforting him telling it was all gonna be alright. That it was all just a bad dream. But no, they were really dead. And he knew only after he asked about it. If he did'nt ask, would you believe he would'nt even know his parents died while on their way to take him?" Minyoung's eyes got watery and blurry. It did happen. 

 

But where? Was she dead once? How was she able to see all of this without remembering a single one of them? 

 

"And when I asked him about how his parents died, he just answered me with his bored face. Like he had told this story a  million times he could've just recorded it and let it play all over again. And of course, he would feel hurt, broken, depressed, crushed, damaged all over again. And then again, I remembered hearing the news from Teacher Lee, my class teacher when in kindergarten. She looked so sad and when she told the news to Daniel, which was hard because she had to blow this big news to such a small child who does'nt even know what was happening. See? I remembered. What's wrong with me?" Minyoung look ill. She was having a bad headache from this hell hole. 

 

"Kangjun, do you remember if I, you know, I somehow had an accident myself and lost my memory?" Minyoung looked uncertain of her own question. How could she ask that? Would Kangjun even know? Kangjun was lost himself hearing this from Minyoung. Kangjun shook his head slowly. Opposing strongly to Miyoung's question. "Nope. You did'nt. Min, babe, please explain. I'm still lost, you know." Kangjun pouted. Well, he does look like a 4 year old who looked extremely lost. Poor him. 

 

But now is not the time for this. Minyoung was shocked herself. She was lost herself. "Kangjun, I know him. I know Daniel. I know him so so well. I remember now. ." Minyoung cursed under her breath and ran towards the practice dorm. Daniel was still there. She was sure of that. And she could easily ask him what the hell happened to her. 

 

There came a loud knock on the door and Daniel helplessly went over and opened it, only to find a panting Minyoung. "What are you doing here? I thought you went-" "Tell me. I want it now and fast. Shoot." Minyoung cut off. Daniel was taken aback. What was she talking about? "You knew. Did'nt you?" Minyoung glared at him and pushed him aside, making way for her to let herself in. She found a spot on the floor and sat. All ready to hear him talk. Everything she needs to know. 

 

"Minyoung, what are you talking about? Go home. I thought Kangjun sent you-" "Daniel stop it. Now I need to ask you questions. Answer me honestly or I'm gonna break your bones." Minyoung flared. She was angry, disappointed, mad, all mixed into one feeling. "Did I get into an accident when I was small? Did I?!" Minyoung faced Daniel with those dangerous eyes. Daniel never saw his Minyou- Minyoung like this. And he knew he HAD to tell her. Or she really will break his bones. Spare him, please. 

 

"So you found out." "Yes." Daniel groaned and sat beside Minyoung, just like the old days. "Why did'nt you tell me? No wonder your name was familiar. I knew it. You know as well that you can't trick me. Stupid Daniel. Now, shoot." Daniel was dumbfounded. He knew she was right. He could never trick Minyoung. He was bad at this, as always. 

 

"Yeah, you had an accident. No one thought it would be anything serious. Because it should'nt. But it did. And that was how you ended up in the hospital for a year. It was horrendous. I'm sorry. Your parents must've kept it a secret from you cause they did'nt want to rake up the past. They wanted a new you. And here you are. Pretty as always. I missed you." Daniel let out a loud sigh. Oh how long had he waited to say that to her. It felt extremely good. Like Minyoung is all his all over again. 

 

Minyoung smiled. It was Daniel. Her Daniel. But no, things were'nt the way it used to be. Now she's Kangjun's. "So, why did you suddenly appear in my life again? How'd you find me again?" Minyoung was curious. He was gone for so long and now he's here, talking to her, side by side, just like they were in kindergarten. So, yeah. He told her. He told her that he missed her. And he was curious if she did too. 

 

"No wonder it was all familiar. Too familiar. So did you have fun seeing me having a headache earlier? I thought I was really going to loose my head. It was a horrible feeling. Thanks, I owe you one." Minyoung . Just like the old times. Daniel giggled. He felt like taking her into his arms and hug her, embrace her, kiss her. It has been so long he felt like he should be given an award for being the most patient guy on Earth. 

 

*Missed you, Minyoung.* Daniel smiled to himself and looked at Minyoung who was smiling brightly at him back.