Saving her

Her flaws

"Kangjun can you send me to Yedang today after school? My card balance is too low for a ride. I'll text you when I'm  done, ok?" Minyoung flashed a smile as she gave a light kiss on Kangjun's cheek. Minyoung's getting busier nowadays since their new group is going to debut anytime soon. Kangjun is busier than usual as well since they're about to make their next comeback. 

 

"Will do. I'll be waiting." Kangjun pecked Minyoung's lips as he dropped Minyoung off infront of the school as he started to drive off when Minyoung cutted him off. "Wait, are'nt you going to school?" Minyoung asked. Kangjun giggled as if it's nothing. "Babe, please. With a face like this, you're asking me to go to school? School are for dummies. Hey, I'm not saying you're one but I don't feel like going today. I'll just pick you up later. Call me!" Kangjun said as he drove off. 

 

"Oh..ok." Minyoung muttered as she skipped her way to school when someone tapped her from the back. "Oh? Daniel? You're here so early?" Minyoung asked. Daniel shot one of his killer smiles as he nodded. "Yeah. I've always came here around this timing everyday. How about you? I saw Kangjun dropping you off earlier. Wow you guys are really close huh." Daniel said nonchalantly. 

 

"Well...he's my boyfriend. I don't see why I would'nt act all affectionate towards him, right?" Minyoung said when a red SUV car swerved staright towards her direction, leaving Daniel beyond shocked. He stopped in his tracks, his legs not letting him move a single step forward, as if a 500kg weight was placed on his back, too heavy for him to carry. Minyoung shouted, her legs not moving a single step as well, trapped and  stoned in her position. No matter how much she wanted to move and save herself, she could'nt. Her instincts did'nt let her. 

 

Daniel's mouth was agape, the situation infront of him was too sudden for anyone to do anything to avoid it. Thankfully, Daniel gathered enough courage to move his legs and save Minyoung before she got hit from the car. Unfortunately, he was too late. Minyoung was already lying flat on the ground, covered with blood that started from her head since she fell head on. She was drenched in blood. 

 

The irresponsible driver was drunk, no doubt. He got punched straight on the face by Daniel the moment he got out of the car. "You ingrateful . Die!" Daniel kicked the drunk man who was lying on the floor, the tip of his lips starting to bleed from the impact. He was too drunk to even fight back, to even realize what he had done. 

 

Daniel called 911 as thoughts started to fill his head. Is Minyoung going to be okay? Is she going to die? How was he to break this horrible news to her family? How was Kangjun going to respond? Is everything just a nightmare? He was hoping it is, no matter how bad he wanted out of it. But being in a nightmare is 100 times way better than for this to really happen. 

 

Too bad it was reality he was facing. And he have no idea what was going to happen next. 

 

-----

 

Daniel was crying bad. His childhood friend was dying infront of his eyes. And he can't do anything to save her. He was too late. If only he was a second faster. If only he had seen the car coming. If only. Minyoung's parents came, tears can be heard from the hall. Kangjun rushed to the hospital after Daniel had called him, hoping Minyoung would be just fine. 

 

"Why the did'nt you save her you ?! She's like this because of you! Were you too blind to even look at her surroundings?! Minyoung...Minyoung please don't do this to me..." Kangjun released Daniel's collar, about to punch Daniel straight in the face when he decided not to after thinking about the concequences. 

 

"Kangjun, sit dear. Minyoung is going to be fine. I know she is. Let's all just sit here patiently and pray for her." Mrs Park caressed Kangjun's back as she led Kangjun slowly to the seats. Daniel regretted being the one everyone would rely on because he was there. He had to bear all the responsibility, mind you. He felt guilty all over, and no one knew how bad it was. It could kill him, really. 

 

He was'nt in his right mind. The accident kept recurring in his mind over and over again. He was at fault. He was the cause of this accident. He was the only one who could've saved Minyoung. But he did'nt. But hey, it's not like he wanted this to happen. The fact that it was hard for him to move when the accident happened, showed that it was the thing that was least expected to happen. He loved Minyoung, so would he want Minyoung to die? No. Definitely. 

 

The doctor came out of the operating room, his face tired and sweaty from the long hours of operation. His face was hard to tell. Daniel, Kangjun, Mrs Lee, Mr Lee, everyone else there could'nt tell if the operation was a success. But they were hoping it is. "Doctor, is my daughter ok? She's doing fine, right? Doc? Please, please tell me she's fine." Mrs Lee pleaded as tears started to fall as Mr Lee held his wife with care for support. 

 

"Well, I'm glad she was brought here early because if not, she would not have made it. It's quite hard to tell since it's unstable now but most probably by tomorrow the patient will wake up. Let's just hope for the best because like I said it's hard to tell. She is temporarily in a short coma but that depends on the patient itself. If she's strong enough to fight it then she should be able to wake up by tomorrow. If not, she may wake up 3 to 4 months later, or more. So I recommend everyone to keep praying for the best and have some rest. Maybe just one person can stay for the night? Who will it be may I ask?" the doctor asked as everyone eyed each other. 

 

"Doctor, I'll be watching after her." Kangjun volunteered as he gave a slight nod towards both Mr and Mrs Lee, assuring them of their daughter's safety. Daniel did'nt feel good. He wanted to be the one to take care of her instead since he was the one who brought Minyoung here and you can say he was the one 'at fault' for the whole thing to happen. So is'nt he responsible to make sure Minyoung was safe as well? 

 

"Uhh, Daniel darling. Thank you for bringing Minyoung here on time. I know it was hard for you but thank you. We owe you one son. But I'm curious about something. Your name sounds really familiar. Do you perhaps know our Minyoung eversince she was a small little child? Because she has a best friend that has the exact name as yours it reminds me if he's doing well or not right now." Mrs Lee spoke as Mr Lee stood beside her, waiting for Daniel's response. 

 

Daniel gulped. He was experiencing different kinds of emotions right now. Happy, sad, anxious, glad. All. "Oh? She does? Well, I can assure you I'm not the Daniel you're talking about. However I'm glad to know that Minyoung is ok now and I'll keep praying for her safety, auntie. Don't worry. Minyoung is a strong young lady. I believe she will wake up anytime soon. Just go home and rest, you must be tired," Daniel said as he turned to Mr Lee and smiled. "Mr Lee, you too. It must've been tiring. Go home and rest. I'll call you if anything happens." 

 

"Oh? Are you staying here as well?" Mrs Lee asked, shocked. Daniel nodded. "Yes. I will feel guilty if I were to go home right now. I'm not tired anyway so I'll just stay for the night, if the both of you allow me to?" Daniel flashed one of his puppy eyes. "Awhh, ahahaha okay then. Kangjun would'nt get so bored if Daniel here is keeping him company right? Ok then son, thank you. I'll bring some clothes for you because you're covered with blood. Are you sure you don't want to go home and change first?" Mrs Lee asked. 

 

"No, it's ok. I have a spare pullover in my bag I'll just change. Ok then, I'll get going, auntie, uncle." Daniel said as he bowed before leaving. "Honey, why do I feel like I've known that kid since Minyoung was young? Like a log time ago? His features are familiar as well, don't you think? Hmm..." Mrs Lee pointed towards Daniel as Mr Lee smiled. "I'm sure he's quite close with Minyoung as well. We'll ask him some other day then. Let's go come, come." Mr Lee said as he lead the way towards the lift. 

 

-----

 

"Hey." Daniel spoke as he entered Minyoung's ward, Kangjun sitting at the side. Kangjun was surprised at first, but he relaxed soon after as he welcomed Daniel. "Hey, what are you doing here? I thought everyone left already." Kangjun asked when Daniel took a seat beside Minyoung, who was still lying unconsiously. 

 

"Oh, that. I decided to stay for the night cause I can't bear to leave Minyoung after what had happened. You don't mind me here, do you?" Daniel asked as Kangjun poured him a glass of water. "Thanks." 

 

 

"Yeah, I don't mind. But, how long have you known Minyoung? I  know that you guys have known each other since kindergarten. But what happened? You suddenly popped out of nowhere, being there whenever Minyoung is in trouble or in danger. It's kinda weird, don't you think?" Kangjun asked as he eyed Daniel attentively. Daniel cringed at that question. He took note of the sarcastic tone in Kangjun's voice and he cringed at it. 

 

 

"Ahahaha, well for your info, I've been searching for Minyoung all these years just so I could protect her. Minyoung means so much to me. But I was gone at a time because I was searching for my lost mom. I've not yet found her up to this day and Minyoung had promised me she would help me in this matter so, I hope you understand." Daniel replied nicely, forcing himself not to let anger take over him. He did'nt know this Kangjun of Minyoung could be overprotective. 

 

"Oh really? Minyoung did'nt tell me about that though..oh well, guess I'll ask her when she wakes up later. Oh and like what you said, you wanted to protect her and that's the reason why you're here, right? Why were you 'too late' to save her then? I mean if you really wanted her safe and sound you would've been more attentive with her surroundings, don't you think?" Kangjun asked again, not satisfied with Daniel's previous answer. 

 

Daniel froze in his spot. He placed his head on Minyoung's bed, holding Minyoung's hand and swore to himself to never let go of it, to stay with her forvever. Gladly he was'nt facing Kangjun all these while, because he had decided to ignore Kangun with his meaningless questions. It was better to ignore than entertain Kangjun because trust me, he will never stop until he is satisfied. In short, he's selfish. 

 

And that was when Daniel stared at Minyoung's pure face, sleeping soundly beside him, just like when they were in kindergarten. He had missed those times dearly. The playful, cheery, nice, beautiful Minyoung he knew has now grown into a beautiful lady. And he had never been more prouder in his life.