Goodbye, Hello

Chasing Consciousness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                Taeyeon's slow rise and fall of her chest was all he could focus onto. They weren't naughty intentions but good ones instead. It assured him that she was still alive and breathing. He had been staring the girl laying on the right side of the bed for the past eight hours and wondered why it was so hard for him to like her back just as much as she did to him. Was it really because he couldn't forget his first love or was it because he didn't want to face the reality that she would disappear never to be seen again? Was he afraid to put his heart out there when he could clearly see there was no future?

                Taeyeon shuffled again but this time, it wasn't her usual subconscious sleeping adjustments but the actual awakening of the sleepyhead. That's weird. There's still an hour left until her alarm goes off. Hayden felt unsettled. Her eyes fluttered open and her right arm didn't reach for her eyes to rub away the post-sleep Hayden found to be her habit but to her left arm. Her eyes and forehead contorted in discomfort. Sharp pain was arising from her arm and it was spreading to her neck and jaw line.

                Fear was barely enough to describe what she was feeling. Her eyes directly went to the man looking back at her in worry. She didn't know what was going on and thought maybe Hayden would know.

                "O-oppa…" She called out for him.

                "What's wrong, Tae?" He could see the fear in her eyes. He pulled her closer and cradled her in his arms thinking about possible things he could do to relieve the pain.

                "My left arm… Hurts… Neck… jaw…pain." Taeyeon could barely say.

                Hayden looked at her with confusion and then it suddenly dawned on him. He had glanced over a "common heath problems" magazine when strolling around the college and had read about several cases and symptoms. Heart attack. There was nothing he could do to save her from that. He couldn't reach into her heart and take it away. He couldn't fight away natural causes or protect her from its aftermath.  Fear couldn't be erased from his eyes either.

                "Slowly breath, Tae. You'll be fine." Hayden comforted. "Come here."He buried her even closer into his arms and held her as tight as he could, hoping to take away some of the pain.

                "I'm… scared…" Her voice was shaky.

                "It's alright, I'm here." Hayden rubbed his hand against her back. "Try to keep calm. It'll be less painful." He spoke, slowly accepting her departure.

                Hayden only received a nod. Words were no longer an option for her. She couldn't move her left arm as the sharp, gnawing pain increased, reaching her heart. Her neck and jawline was in as much turmoil as her arm. Tears flowed from her eyes and Hayden wiped them away with his thumbs. He couldn’t bear it any longer, seeing her sweat like crazy and shake. He knew she was about to move on. His lips reached hers and gave her his final warm, loving kiss.

                Taeyeon's heart constricted and she struggled to breathe. She choked on her last breath and gazed into his eyes. Hayden didn't understand. Those eyes were supposed to be filled with pain and fear at her last seconds of life but they were warm. Her smile wasn't bittersweet but beautiful. Her eyes closed and her body went limp. She had moved on into another chapter of her journey.

                Hayden didn't shed tears. He couldn't. Her death was accepted but tears never fell. He stared at her once more and left her a lingering forehead kiss. The past few of weeks he spent with her were the best he has had in a while. He didn't say goodbye for he didn't believe in them or more like he didn't want to accept them. Saying goodbye meant the possibility of never seeing her beautiful face again.

                "Maybe I'll cross paths with you again, Taeyeon. We have an eterni

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter