Bittersweet

Chasing Consciousness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                Hayden couldn't shake away the thought of Taeyeon's impending departure from the realm of the living. Hadn't she progressed enough to receive mercy from the gods of life? Hadn't she obtained enough grief and sorrow from her parents passing? What exactly did she do prior to his appearance to upset the gods? Yes, he knew all of her past and all of who she was but nothing led to the reason for her demise. If it wasn't the past then could it be what lies in the future?

                Seconds turned into minutes and minutes turned into hours. He lay awake pondering on theories, exceptions, anything that could answer his never ending questions, and then something inside struck within him. Why did he care so much for this girl? She was indeed special and different from all the others he's met but why did he care so much? Love was not the answer. He knew that for sure just as much as he knew he was a girl before. 

                He looked at Taeyeon who has changed positions so many times within the nine hours she has been sleeping through. She looked so peaceful and innocent to him, what could possibly be within her power to do such a thing that results in her death? His eyes looked at the alarm clock on the bedside table and it was two hours before noon. Should he wake her up soon or let her stay in his warm embrace until she decides to wake?

                 Hayden eyes traced along his arms and then to the body they were holding and smiled. When was the last time he held someone so tenderly? He thought back to when he was a girl and remembered her. It was a bittersweet tale he held dearly in his heart. It was his first love, his first and only love. He gave everything to her and so did she but the world wasn't ready for their kind of love and deep inside their souls, they weren't either. Their young hearts were too fragile to withstand the fingers and eyes from everyone's shallow thoughts. Thinking back on his first love made him realize again why he had wanted and wished so desperately to be a man. He wanted to go back in time and hold her in the crowd and proudly proclaim that she was his everything.

                He felt Taeyeon shift again and looked at her face then to her eyes that were fluttering open. She looked at her surroundings and the body she was holding. Her eyes looked up to see him smiling at her. Her heart could never get tired of him, could it?

                "Morning, Tae." He greeted.

                "Morning, oppa." She mumbled still half asleep.

                "How are you feeling?" He asked enjoying his new title.

                "Good." She rubbed her eyes. "What are we doing today?"

                "Do you have class?"

                "It's Sunday." She reminded.

                "Ahh, that's right!" He agreed. "Is there something you want to do?"

                "Stay home." Taeyeon answered truthfully but doubted he'd agree.

                Hayden looked at the short girl still in his arms and smiled wider. He wanted to go out and continue their outdoor adventures but there were a lot of scary things out there and a lot of room for death. He didn’t want her to die yet and if he could postpone it as much as possible, he'd do just that. Taeyeon adjusted her position and played with the strings of her pajama pants.

                "Okay." Hayden agreed.

                "Huh?" Taeyeon was taken aback by his answer and sat up. "Really?" She looked at him skeptically.

                "Really." He sat up against the head board.

                "Assa!!" She cheered and hugged him in excitement.

                Hayden chuckled at how childish she was behaving. "You're so cute." He ruffled the top of her hair as his other arm hugged her back. "What do you want to do?"

                Taeyeon was blushing madly as she retracted from his warm arms. She wanted to stay in them. They gave her so much comfort and assurance and made her feel like she could do anything in the world or conquer any mountain.

                "I want to watch movies on the couch." She mumbled shyly.

                "Sure. Go wash up. I'll make brunch."

                Taeyeon quickly went to her bathroom and Hayden giggled. Could he get enough of her antics? In the middle of his preparation he heard the doorbell and contemplated on whether or not to answer since it wasn't his house. After a few seconds of debating, he went to the door and peeked through the hole. His eyes grew bigger than a baseball and questioned her appearance, specifically in this form. He quickly opened the door and wasn't sure which facial expression to greet her with.

                "Noona?!" Hayden was shocked.

                "Not happy to see me?" She looked at him with a lifted eyebrow and crossed arms.

                "What?! No! Of course not! I’m always happy to see you." He defended.

                "Anyways, I'm here to speak with you about certain matters pertaining to your assignment." She went straight to the subject. "Is there a good spot to talk privately?"

                "Right now? Why didn't you just talk to me telepathically?" He was confused.

                "Telepathy leaves traces people can record and what I want to speak with you about is a difficult subject others should not know about." She explained.

                "Um, okay. Give me a second." He scratched his head.

                "Hi!" Taeyeon came from behind after washing up. "Who's she?" She asked Hayden instead of asking the woman at the door directly.

                "I'm Boa. Kwon Boa." She answered for him. "Nice to meet you." She bowed slightly which Taeyeon did the same.

                "Tae, I have to go with her somewhere. I'll be back in less than half an hour." He spoke.

                "But you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter