Protection

Chasing Consciousness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                The sun had set long ago, their fourth movie had come to an end and Hayden lied there aimlessly while trying to figure what they were going to do about dinner. There was nothing left in the fridge after he cooked their lunch and he didn't want to go out for fear of death. Would Taeyeon be willing to order in?

                He glanced down at their positions and smiled. Halfway into the movie marathon he ended up laying down on his left side with his head on the armrest, watching the TV horizontally. Naturally, Taeyeon followed him and ended up cuddled up in his arms with her head on his arm. Once the forth Disney movie started she fell asleep in an instant and now her face is buried in his neck and her left hand caressing his abs inside his shirt. How did it end up there? Maybe she thought his shirt was a blanket?

                Hayden could now notice how not so innocent this girl was. Her legs were intertwined and body completely plastered against his but that wasn't the problem, it was the position of her limbs. Her left knee was right under his family jewels, her left arm in his shirt, her right arm caressing his pecks and her face so close, her lips where touching the sensitive spot behind his ear. The spot his first love would always with.

                Taeyeon shifted positions once more and he thanked the lord. Her entire body turned around and the only thing touching him this time was her back. He couldn't suppress a laugh when he raised his neck just enough to see her disheveled face with her dark brown locks everywhere. His laugh was enough to awaken his new erted girlfriend. Girlfriend? He thought. It has a nice ring to it.

                She groaned. "What time is it?"

                "A little passed six." Hayden informed.

                "How long did I sleep?" Taeyeon rubbed her eyes.

                "About an hour and half." He thought. "Hungry?"

                Taeyeon nodded her head and turned around to face him. The look in his eyes was one she's never seen before. She was never one to easily read the eyes of others so she knew something was amiss. His eyes held a bittersweet gaze and it made her uneasy. Hayden was fighting against something inside and she wanted to know what it was but the glint in his eyes told her not to, to let him be and keep it a mystery.

                "We don't have food in the fridge so do you want to order in?" He suggested while brushing the hair away from her face.

                "Let's go out and grab street food. I haven’t eaten that in a while." Her voice chirped.

                That wasn't what Hayden was hoping to hear but he obliged to her wishes. He'd let Taeyeon have her way without a complaint but now he'd have to kick up his senses up a few notches.

                "Alright. Go get ready I'll wait for you down here." He sat up.

                "You're not going to get ready too?" She questioned.

                "I look fine and I don’t need to use the restroom." He looked down at his basketball shorts and white V-neck and shrugged.

                "Why do I never see you using the restroom or eat?" Taeyeon crossed her arms in curiosity.

                "I don't eat much because I'm not hungry a lot. I don't go to the restroom because I don't eat a lot and when I do go, I go when you're busy." He explained.

                "I don't understand how you can be so fit yet I never see you work out at all." She continued to question.

                "I work out when you're in classes I can't go with you in." He lied and smiled widely showing his white pearls.

                "You're a mystery, Hayden."

                "I know. Now go get ready!" He shooed her off by patting her towards the direction of the stairs.

 

                Hayden didn't know how he felt about all this. Every step he took with Taeyeon's small and dainty hands in his down these roads made him remember his first love. He didn't want to compare his past with his present but his memories didn't abide to his decisions. They walked down the street cluttered with vendors and their cheap but delicious meals. It reminded him of the times when he strolled this road with her, except he couldn't hold her hand like he's holding Taeyeon's. He couldn't feed her bites of whatever they bought like he could with Taeyeon.

                They sat down at a small plastic table meant for two and began to eat. It surprised him at how seemingly unchanged this street looked. The last time he came and ate here was with none other than his first love. He didn't want to speak of her name for if he did; all the memories, all the troubles, all the minutes spent with her would come rushing back.

                Hayden spent all his attention on the girl in front of him and shoved aside everything else. He didn't have the luxury to reminisce since Taeyeon's death would be on his hands if he did. Everything was going well with them and nothing was spotted yet.

                "Yummy?" He asked her.

                "Mhm!" She answered with spicy rice cakes in . "You're not going to eat, again?" She asked after swallowing.

                "Watching you eat makes me full." He smiled at her.

                "Eat." She held a piece with her chopsticks and put it in front of his mouth.

                "But—" He wanted to protest but Taeyeon's angry pout cut his words short.

                Hayden opened his mouth for her and she fed him a bite. He was happy, she was happy, nothing could go wrong could it? That was what he wished for but as they finished their meal and got up, he spotted a suspicious looking teenage boy. His right arm left Taeyeon's left and slid across her shoulders, letting it hang on the other side. His protective instincts slowly made its appearance and kept her by his side. Taeyeon's heart trembled in the warmness that Hayden never ceased to radiate around her. Her fingers intertwined with the hand on her shoulder as she looked up at him. There was no specific reason to why she wanted to but she didn't need one right? He stared into her eyes and reassured her with a quick peck on her lips.

                She blushed for the nth time today and slid her left arm around his waist. Hayden's eyes saw the strange boy approach them and kept his guard high. He didn't like the aura this boy had around him.

                "Noona!" He smiled.

                "Oh! Long time no see Wooyoung." She squatted down and ruffled his hair just like how Hayden does to her.

                "How have you been?" He asked her as she got back into Hayden's arms.

                "Be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter