Mystery Man

Chasing Consciousness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AN: Hayden = Hyoyeon

                The clanking of heels echoed in the white corridors of The Castle of Oblivion. Quick footsteps hurried their way towards the main room as they belonged to a frantic owner. Heavy breaths could be heard from a mile away, a result from meaningless distractions. No one was to blame except for the lone figure hustling towards her destination. She mentally cursed herself for letting her peers distract her with their petty interests, now she would get a yelling from her superior.

                Finally arriving at the glass doors of her superior’s room she breathed in a deep breath to reset herself. She flattened out her white robe, tightened her shining silver belt around her slim waist and fluttered her blinding white wings to untangle any bunched up feathers. Fixing her hair at last minute, she ran her long fingers through her golden blonde locks. Her firm arms grasped the golden handles and pulled them open to reveal a red carpet leading her towards a woman sitting on a marble chair, rising into the ceiling.  Nothing was on either side of the carpet. Only white walls surrounded the castle and its main room.

                 You would think the girl would be nervous, shaking even but her eyes remained calm and her lips formed a lighthearted smile as she continued to walk. Her eyes met her superior and she couldn’t restrain her ever-growing smile even if she was thirty minutes late. Her uncanny relationship towards the latter was enough to break down the barriers of superiority.

                “Wipe that smile off your face, Kim Hyoyeon.” The woman spoke in displeasure.

                “Awh, come on Unnie. Why so serious?” She whined in her nonexistent aegyo.

                “I’m always serious. You better have a valid reason why you’re late.” She nagged.

                “Yoona and Yuri distracted me again with their stupid gizmoes they invented again. I couldn’t escape from their grasps!” Hyoyeon tried to explain.

                “Alright, alright. You are forgiven.” She sighed. “Why is it that I can never stay mad at you?” Her fingers rubbed her temples.

                “Because you love me too much that’s why. Right, Boa unnie?” Her smile radiated towards her.

                “Yeah, yeah, yeah. Anyways, remember your wish you had when you were still a part of the living?” She continued.

                “Yes, why?”

                “Well, I can grant you that wish in return for an assignment.” Boa proposed.

                “I’m dead.” Hyoyeon laughed. “Why would that matter now?”

                “If you’d just let me finish first!” She nagged once more.

                “Okay, okay! Continue.”

                “I need you to be a guardian for this one girl in her early twenties. She’s attending college and has many friends but she has lost the will to continue after her parents joined our realm.” She explained.

                “Typical.” Hyoyeon rolled her eyes.

                “Think what you want but you will fulfill this assignment. You start tomorrow.”

                “How does this relate back to my wish because I don’t see it?” She cocked up a brow.

                “You’ll find out soon enough.” Boa reassured.

 

                Hyoyeon entered the glowing silver contraption designated in the center of the transportation room. She never understood why there was a need for such device as any angel could teleport themselves into the realm of the living. Even though there would be some malfunctions if one were to choose direct travel, it would save all of them some time and effort. The other angels readied the transporter and looked back at Hyoyeon for confirmation. She nodded and they pressed the button, sending her down towards her target.

                A pair of feet landed on the green luscious grass with a thud and the rest of its body followed as the figure tumbled onto the ground. Fluttering eyes opened to meet another pair of eyes a few feet away looking back strangely. Hyoyeon ignore the eyes, got up and brushed herself off but noticed the sudden change in height and the different articles on clothing she wore. Her luscious golden locks were nowhere to be seen. Her eyebrows furrowed but her eyes grew larger as she noticed she wasn’t a ‘she’ anymore, but a ‘he’.

                “Unnie, what is this?!” Hyoyeon scolded her superior through their telepathic conversation. “My hair!” She whimpered.

                “I granted your wish, that’s what. Be grateful.” Boa teased. You are temporarily visible by everyone. You are now in the form of a human but you still retain your angelic abilities.”

                “Iunno how I feel about this, Unnie.” Hyoyeon doubted as she found the same pair of eyes still staring at her.

                “It’s Noona to you now. Have fun!” She gave Hyoyeon her blessings and disconnected their communication.

                I am a guy now. I am no longer Kim Hyoyeon. As he thought and thought he didn’t notice a body in front of him until he suddenly looked up from curiosity. His body froze and a quick flash of panic ran through his body. He wasn’t ready to interact with humans yet. It had been so long, too long.

                “Are you okay?” The girl asked in a concerned tone. “You fell quite far down from that tree.”

                His eyebrows creased in confusion but he looked up and saw that he wasn’t too far from the tree trunk.

                “I’m okay.” A deep voice exited his throat and shocked him a bit. Jesus that’s low. I need to get used to being a man.

                Just as his eyes looked at her more intently a wave of information flooded his mind like a slap in the face from an angry ex-lover. He twitched at the sudden knowledge and brought back his composure. That was then when he saw his target right in from of him with a confused expression. He could see the sorrow in her eyes and the sadness throughout her body. It was plain for him, or for anyone to see that she was a wreck. Her pretty yellow summer dress and delicately applied make up did nothing to hide the pain she was in. Her dark brown hair had little maintenance but as he continued to stare at her he couldn’t deny that she was a beautiful soul despite her situation. He could see the many charms that were once thrown away to the other ends of the earth and for some reason; he was determined to revive the excitement that was lost in the girl assignment or not.

                “Hello? Hello?” A pair of pale arms waved in front of his face.

                “Huh? Sorry. I was too busy staring at you.” He blurted out. Did I just say that out loud?

                “I asked you who you were.” She plainly spoke but his sudden statement took her back a bit.

                “I’m…” He didn’t know what his name was and he couldn’t say his other name, it would only cause strange looks. “I’m… Hayden!” He suddenly said a bit too loud.

                “Oh.” She looked at him strangely for the nth time. “Well be careful next time.”

                Just like that she walked away towards the school grounds behind Hayden. He didn’t like the way she asked for his introductions but didn’t give her own. It irked him for some reason. Though he didn’t need any introduction from her since he knew everything there is to know about her from the information he received a little while ago, he still wanted to be properly greeted. She’s intriguing. He quickly went after as he felt the sudden urge to follow her.

                “Wait, Taeyeon!” He called out for her.

                She stopped in her tracks and turned around with furrowed eyes. “How do you know my name?”

                . Nice one, Hayden. “You’re well known, Taeyeon-shii and have been since young. I also happen to be old

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter