Bittersweet promise

St Michel Student Council

 “Hyung! You're back! Where did yall go?” Donghae questioned Yunho with the latter remaining silent as the two strolled in to their living quarters with an awkward distance between them. “Hyung?”

 

“Aissh...” he walks straight to his room brushing his hair slightly backwards. “Let me know when dinner is done.” and slams the door behind him.

 

“Amber! What happened?” Siwon, seeing the strange awkwardness in them, couldn't help asking. “Something must have happened right?”

 

“Nothing happened.” Amber replies firmly before walking back to her own room leaving the men in bewilderment.

 

“No. Something must have happened.” Kyuhyun instinctively knew the two is hiding something.

 

“Did hyung propose to her or something?!”

 

“Changmin ah! Don't be stupid!” Siwon replied.

 

“But hyung, don't you think Yunho hyung's expression is all chummed up and weird? Have you seen this version of Hyung before?”

 

“Honestly... No.”

 

“He looked like he is in love or something.” Taemin exclaimed.

 

“Well, let's not start guessing like the girls always do. We need to prepare dinner since the cooks are not coming anymore.” said Siwon.

 

They had a roster all planned out for the cooking duties and currently was suppose to be Siwon and Kyuhyun's duty but because its their first time doing so, they agreed upon everyone's inclusion to prepare dinner for that very night. The fact that five well sheltered men cramping in the kitchen itself which may ultimately lead to disastrous consequences didn't quite dawn on Yunho and Amber as the pair is still deeply immersed in their uncanny reunion including the pact they made hours ago. ­

 

 

Upon entering her room, Amber throws herself to her bed with a loud thud. Her mind is in a whirl as everything seems to come back to her. The bitter sweet childhood memories etched into her mind as if everything happened just yesterday. Her face slowly turning red as she slowly recalls their first acquaintance a decade ago.

 

“YAAAAAAHHHHHH! WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING!!!!!” the little girl lunged at the group of boys with her fist all balled up towards them as they were about to attack another boy.

 

“Mind your own business you sissy!” the boys echoed in unison.

 

“YAHHHHH!! I'm not a sissy! Bullies! Fancy six against one! You cowards!” the little girl snarled back.

 

“Guys, lets settle with him!” seemingly the lead of the pack commanded to attack the little girl unaware of Amber's true gender as she is usually spotted with short black hair with t-shirts and shorts. Amber is usually the target of extortion and kidnapping being the heiress of a wealthy investments empire. Her parents, fearing for their daughter's safety, often dress her up as a boy in order to conceal her real gender. She didn't complain, her love for frilly dresses with lace and ribbon is still intact. Since the whole world know Liu Corp has a daughter and not a son, the chances of her getting targeted is lower which her crossover is what was intended of.

 

Amber, well versed in different martial arts at her young age has no intention to back out in a fight thus challenging the pack of six off with ease. The little boy looked up to her in awe. He never thought he would be rescued by someone and especially by a girl. The little boy could differentiate her real gender at first sight instinctively. Streams of admiration ran through his mind and heart as he couldn't leave his eyes on the doe eyed heroine. Determined to befriend her, he stood up with his bruised knees and walked towards her.

 

“Can you be my friend?” the little boy asked.

 

“SURE! I'll be glad to! What's your name!” Amber asked graciously.

 

“I'm Jung Yunho.” the little boy replied.

 

“Hi! Amber here! Nice to meet you~” Amber responded enthusiastically thinking that Yunho probably thinks she's a boy like the others do but nonetheless still extends a friendship to him. She finds Yunho exceptionally cute and pretty which possibly explains why he was scrutinize by the pack of six whose exterior are nothing in comparison to his.

 

“Amber,” Yunho attempts to ask her something.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Amber, thank you for saving me. You're my heroine!” Yunho finish his sentence in a huff.

 

Amber stares at him in surprise. Yunho didn't mistake her for a boy, he sees her as a girl! Amber blushed feeling butterflies in her tummy, went over to Yunho and gave him a hug.

 

“You're the first to say I'm a girl! Thank you!” Amber eyes welled up with her arms wrapped around the little boy's neck.

 

“Amber, why are you crying. You saved me. I'm surprised a little girl like you can fight so well!” consoled Yunho as he wrapped his arms around her. “So why are you crying?”

 

Amber couldn't stop crying for some reasons. Inside, she yearn to wear dresses and frills like other girls do. She wants to play with dolls, she wants to dress up prettily and hangout with girls from her neighborhood. She wants to be liked by boys and not fight with them. She wants to be known for who she is yet everyone doesn't sees the real her underneath the facade created by her parents. Now, the boy whom she has just saved, is the first to see through her ruse. She has never felt so happy before.

 

“Come, let me show you my secret hide out.”

 

Yunho grabbed Amber's hands and led the way. They walked through several hilly roads and towards a few flight of stone slabs before reaching to a what seems like a forest of bamboos. Amber gasped at the beauty and peacefulness of the scenery as they slither through the bamboo forest. Suddenly, Yunho came to a stop as they approached a clearing to what seemingly seems like a cliff facing the sea. The breathtaking view captures her attention continuously staring into the vast ocean, her face caressed by the cold wind as it runs through her hair. “How did you find here? Its beautiful! Can I come again?” Amber asked. “Sure, I promise I will bring you here again. But you have to promise not to reveal to anyone at all. Its our secret. Promise?” “Okay. I promise.”

Hmm.. He seems like a nice little boy though and different. Why would anyone wants to bully him at all? Though he seemed a little weak though. He's the first person other than my family to recognize me as a girl and... its the first time someone thinks that way. Ahh.. and he is cute too! Just a little tiny. But I like him already... I hope I get to see him again. These thoughts ran through the little girl's mind as she stared intently at Yunho.

 

“Amber?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Can I ask you something?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Erms, why are you so good at fighting? You are a girl you know...”

 

“Erms, is there a problem with girl showing her fist?”

 

“I mean, do you like fighting then?”

 

Amber paused for seconds before she continued with her eyes getting teary, “Nope.” tears rolled down her cheeks after her confession.

 

“I was kidnapped before. Daddy and Mommy wants to protect me, so they made me wear boy's clothes and learn different forms of martial arts. I really want to be a girl in dresses and many girl friends to play with. I really want to but I can't let Mom and Dad upset again.” Amber speaks as the words got all muffled up in as the streaks of tears continues rolling down her cheeks.

 

Suddenly Yunho kissed her eyes and wiped her tears with his fingers not knowing what to do with the crying girl. The boy looked at her amber eyes with sadness and a tinge of determination, seemingly made a vow in his heart, leaning over to Amber and whispered softly, “Amber, I promise you. Next time I will protect you so that you can be yourself again.”

 

 

Ahh that is her! How can I miss it! Her eyes remained the same. Those amber eyes! Yunho in his room, starts recollecting all his past memories with her.

 

“I have nothing to give you guys!” Yunho hissed at the pack of six attempts to extorting money from him. “Go away!”

 

“You're the richest boy here, how could you have nothing?” one of the boys snared at Yunho. “Yeah!” the rest echoed in unison.

 

“YAAAAAAHHHHHH! WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING!!!!!” Yunho sees a little girl screaming from a distance as she prepares to throw her fist towards the pack. Yunho looked on in awe as she single handedly fought off the six in a fraction of seconds.

 

Ahh, she is so cool! Should I ask her to be my friend? Will she reject me? I mean, I looked so weak in comparison. Oh well, if she agrees, I will bring her to my secret hideout! She's so cute!

 

“Sure... I'm Amber.”

 

Ahh! Her name is Amber. Her eyes is in amber too! I've never seen such pretty eyes before. Perhaps I should ask if she wants to come to my secret hideout. She fights so well, I want to be like that too. Perhaps I should ask why is she so strong.

 

“You're the first to say I'm a girl!

 

Why is she hugging me and crying at the same time? I could feel butterflies in my tummy. Whats this strange feeling? Its the first time someone thinks of her as a girl? She doesn't look like a boy at all, maybe except for her strength. But isn't that a good thing? Is she crying because she is happy or sad. I really want to know. Hmm, I hope my hideout will cheer her up.

 

The pair reached the clearing which Yunho was adamant on bringing Amber to.

 

She is pretty. Especially her eyes. Its the color of amber. That's rare! I should ask her why she's that strong? And why did she cry? She really looks like a little lost kitten. Her hair feels so fluffy, her eyes are cute too. 

 

I was kidnapped before... I really want to be a girl...”

 

My angel cried. She seems like an angel to me. Beautiful and strong and a girl to me. She seems so sad. I want to protect her. Jung Yunho, get a grip of yourself! I swear I will protect her so that she can be whatever she wants. I have to tell her this.

 

Determined, the little boy's unwavered heart made a vow to the crying girl.

 

Yunho snaps back to present staring into the black space onto the high ceiling. His hearts stirs as he remember his promise and how he kept on to the end of the bargain. He was a weak child ten years ago and now, a totally different being as compared to his past. In order to become strong, he got his parents to allow him to learn different schools of martial arts, determined to master all the skills. In the event of all these, Yunho slowly developed a penchant for martial arts. At the same time, leaving no time for social interactions, Yunho eventually appears cold inside out to people. Another reason that attributed to his aloofness begins flashing across his mind and this painful part of his memories surface.

 

 

“Why didn't you turn up the next day as promised?” Yunho asked.

 

“I...I...” Amber stuttered through as the words can't seem to get out of her. “I'm sorry.”

 

Yunho wasn't really mad at her for not turning up, but he made plans to hang out with his new friend from then on. He even made a vow to protect her.

 

“On my way back, I was nearly kidnapped again.” words finally churned out of . “Mom and Dad couldn't take anymore blows. They decide to send me back to my grandparent's place again that night not wanting to risk the danger of losing me again.”

 

“Kidnapped again? I thought I sent you home?”

 

“It wasn't exactly my home. I was staying in Japan with my grandparents since I was three years old. I came back for a short holiday because I miss my parents a lot. But for safety reasons, they bought a normal house for me to stay like a normal person do.”

 

“... You could have told me. There wasn't any news from you totally!” Yunho didn't know what to make out of it. She could have just told him back then.

 

“I'm sorry, I really want to tell you. I did try leaving a letter to you.”

 

Yunho feelings all mixed up, raised his voice a little, “A letter? I didn't receive any letter from you. Do you know what I went through all these year?” as he recall his yearning to see her once more, holding on to the promise he made, training himself to become the strongest in order to protect her the next time they meet.

 

“I'm sorry. I really didn't want to leave. Not after having known you. But they made the decision without even asking for my opinion on this matter. I was only six years old and all I have were my fist.

 

Yunho, knowing that all these weren't all her fault, relents, “Its all in the past, now you're here with me again.”

 

The bittersweet promise that he held dearly didn't turn out empty. At the very least, he reunited with her again, this time in a different twist of events. He turn to her only to see Amber all shaken up feeling apologetic for leaving abruptly ten years ago. She liked the weak pretty boy and he liked the tough beautiful girl.

 

“Amber, I still hold on to the promise dearly. Let's go back now.”

 

“Aye.”