Forever

Tell Me

Kyungsoo wakes up the next morning in his apartment. He has a strange feeling in his stomach the moment he gets up. Probably because he has no idea how he got there. 

"Oh, good, you're up."
Kyungsoo hears Chanyeol's rumbling voice before Chanyeol's figure appears in the doorway of his room.

Kyungsoo groans and sits up. It's been a while since he's been back in his old apartment, and his bed seems unfamiliar to him. He presses his hand to his head. He has a burning headache.

"Ugh, I feel awful. What happened?"

Chanyeol shifts. "Your friend, Jongin. He brought you home last night. You looked pretty drunk."

Kyungsoo blinks."I don't remember drinking last night."
Chanyeol shrugs. "You looked pretty hammered." He laughs. "It's a wonder you still know  your name, haha." And with that, his disappears.

Kyungsoo gets to his feet and looks around. His room is a bit more empty now. Most of his more personal belongs are back in Jongin's apartment. It was strange. Why did Jongin bring him here instead of back to the apartment?"

Kyungsoo rummages through his pockets and dumps the contents onto the table. Cell phone. Keys. Crumpled paper. Coins. Pack of gum.

Frowning, Kyungsoo opens up the crumpled paper and flattens it on his desk. He's never seen the handwriting before, but he knows exactly who wrote it.

Kyungsoo-sshi--

I'm leaving. I won't say where, because I don't need you to come after me. You'd just be a thorn in my side where I'm going. Just stay here and be the pathetic performing money you childishly wanted to be. Don't come by my apartment either. I'll be long gone by the time you read this. I'm moving on. Sorry I wasted your precious time. Have a good life.

Sincerely

Kim Jongin

There's a loud pang in his heart, and the note falls from his hands. Hot tears spring to his eyes and stream down his face. His knees give way underneath him, and a choked sob escapes from his throat. His chest heaves with more pain than he's ever felt in his live because how could this possibly be true? There must have been something he said last night. A fight, maybe? Whatever it was, he had to straighten it out. 

Vision still blurry with tears, Kyungsoo races out of his apartment and stumbles out into the bright early afternoon Seoul.

---

(8 hours before; the rooftop)

"He's definetly out cold," Chanyeol says, looking at Kyungsoo, who's resting his head on his arms on the picnic table. He's sleeping peacefully, but Jongin is uneasy. He can't meet Chanyeol's eyes.

"You're doing the right thing," Chanyeol says quietly, easing the broken sleeping capsules from Jongin's quivering hands. "I'll take him home from here."

Jongin nods slowly, tears burning behind his eyes.

"So you're....leaving tomorrow?" Chanyeol asks.

Jongin nods again, but his voice is hoarse when he speaks. "Yeah. For New York."

Chanyeol heaves Kyungsoo onto his back and turns to head back down the cold metal stairs. It's darker now; nearly all the candles have gone out. 

"Wait." Jongin says before he can stop himself. Chanyeol turns.

Jongin hesitates, hands shaking. "Take care of him. Please."

Chanyeol's dark brown eyes meet Jongin's, and he nods. "I promise."

Jongin watches from the rooftop as Chanyeol loads Kyungsoo into the back of his car and drives away. The radio still plays quite loudly in the background, but Jongin can't hear it. 

"Hyung. I'm sorry," he says quietly. "I'm so, so sorry."

He screams into the hot humid air.

(end of flashback)

---

Jongin's looking around at his apartment. His personal belongings are already loaded into his suitcase. His backpack is already packed with essensials. He stares down at his plane ticket and passport, but he can't make out the letters. His eyes are blurry with tears. 

As he reaches for the doorknob, he hears some movement on the other side. Someone panting. As if they had run a 5k marathon. The figure pounds on the door and Jongin's throat clenches, because there's only one person it could be. It wasn't supposed to be like this. He should have left earlier.

"JongIn!" Kyungsoo's voice came from the other side of the door. Desperate and hurt.

Jongin closed his eyes tightly and slumps to the ground against the pounding door. 

"Jongin, please!"

Hyung. I'm here.

"A-are you there?" 

Shh. I'm here.

Jongin realizes that Kyungsoo thinks he's not here. It makes it hurt more.

"I got your note." Kyungsoo whimpers.

No. Please. Throw it away.

"What happend to us?"

Nothing. Nothing happened. Come here.

"You're running away! Why won't you tell me what's wrong?"

Jongin cups his hands over his ears.

Finally, it happens. Kyungsoo breaks. "JONGIN, PLEASE!" There's the sound of his figure falling to his knees.

"Why did you leave me?"

I'll never leave you. Never. 

"Is it something I did? Something I said?"

No. You're perfect.

"I thought you said you'd be here. With me. What happened to all those things we said on the rooftop? What happened to forever?"

Jongin presse

Drops of saline trickle down Jongin's nose. But he doesn't dare make a sound.

"JONGIN!" Kyungsoo screams. "Don't go."

Jongin feels like he's about to explode. 

"Please. Please."

I love you, hyung. Please forgive me.