Warm

Tell Me

JongIn stumbles out of sleep, feeling as if a hand grabbed him by the back of the neck and pulled him back into reality. His breath catches in his chest as his eyes struggle to focus on the shapes in the dark.

It's nearly silent in the early hours of morning. A faint hum from the air conditioning system and a restless ticking of a clock pierce the air obnoxiously. JongIn's bed is warm. But it's a bit warmer now that there's two people in it.

JongIn,” Kyungsoo whispers again. JongIn carefully rolls over to see Kyungsoo's face illuminated by the faint glow of sunshine seeping through the curtains.

Kyungsoo's warm body pressed against his, toes entangled, fingers linked.

Yeah?” JongIn's voice is hoarse.
“Are you okay?” Kyungsoo shifts, and for a brief moment there's the sound of rustling linens that accompany the orchestra of early morning. “Your skin's all cold and clammy. And you were muttering in your sleep.”

JongIn closes his eyes and lets out a long sigh, feeling his lungs loosen and his body relax. Kyungsoo squeezes his hand tighter is some form of warm comfort.

Yeah, I'm fine,” JongIn sends Kyungsoo a tired, reassuring smile as he faces him. His shoulder aches a bit from lying in this position. The custom mattress molds to the shape of their bodies.

The moonlight illuminates Kyungsoo's features; big bright eyes despite the semi-darkness, round, flush cheeks, full lips that form a natural pout, defined collarbones.
JongIn chuckles. “Why, did I saw anything embarrassing?”
Kyungsoo grins a little. “Nothing really. Something about a flower? You're weird, dreaming about flowers. Pft.”

JongIn scoffs. He doesn't disagree.

Kyungsoo lets out a breath and faces upwards towards the ceiling. A modern light fixture hangs in the center of the room, the stainless steel swooping around in swirls.

I like roses,” he says. “They smell sweet.”

JongIn squeezes his hand. “Not as sweet as you.”

JongIn thinks he sees Kyungsoo rolling his eyes in the faint light.

It's a while before either one says anything. The clock by the bedside reads 5:21am.

JongIn?”
“Hm?”
“What is love?”

What?”

I mean, it's weird, isn't it?” Kyungsoo says, tucking his free hand under his head to cushion it. “Love makes people do crazy, stupid things.”

JongIn wholeheartedly agrees but he stays silent, trying to think of the right words to say.

JongIn...?”

Kyungsoo,” JongIn pulls the older closer to him, until their hearts beat in perfect unison. He can't dismiss the fact that their bodies fit perfectly together like the pieces of a puzzle. Their chests rising and falling. Their breaths the same.

Love is....like a sparkler.”

What?”
“Shh hyung,” JongIn smiles softly as he drapes his arm over Kyungsoo. “It's beautiful. Complicated. All of these chemicals and other little things mushed up together. Sometimes things ugly and broken and overlooked. When they come together, a little spark can ignite everything and, well, then it's beautiful.”

JongIn--”
“I love you, hyung.”

The words come out simply. Effortlessly. Genuinely. Kyungsoo gets the strange (yet oddly familiar) feeling that JongIn has said the previous line over and over and over again. Maybe to him? Kyungsoo's breath catches in his chest. His heart beat pounds faster.

You want to know what love is?” JongIn says quietly. “I'll tell you. It's you. And me. It's us. When I see you, everything gets in slow motion. My knees feel like their about to collapse, and my heart dances so wildly I can't stop it. All the little things. All the whispers and the laughter and things we talk about. Even if I'm broken and crumbling, you're the one that holds me up. Your smile, your laugh, your touch...”

It's silent.
“Please tell me you feel the same way.” JongIn whispers.

Kyungsoo has so many reasons to say no. To turn away and flee the room. To put all of this behind him. He's in love with someone he's only know for what, a month? Nearly two? Could love happen that quickly?
Nevertheless, he faces JongIn, and their eyes meet as he says four little words.

I love you too.”

The smile that JongIn smiles at Kyungsoo in that moment, could possibly be more beautiful than the smile on the rooftop. JongIn suddenly looks like a man who's been wandering forever until this moment. Relief, happiness.

They smother each other in kisses.

 

 

---

 

One day, JongIn decides to surprise Kyungsoo at one of his music shows. Music Bank, it was called, so here he is, standing in the back row, his arms crossed over his chest, waiting amidst the crowds of screaming girls. It's all hot and humid, the first essence of summer heat snaking through the open doors and vents. The venue is crowded, with 4oo people standing in a room meant to only seat 2oo. Staff in matching polo shirts are running across the stage, checking the wires and the fog machines.

Finally the lights dim, and the screaming of hopeless girls ensues. Purple lights illuminate the fog twisting around the stage and disintegrating as it reaches the audience. Two figures walk out, the first one much taller, a guitar slung over his shoulder. When the lights finally focus on them, JongIn's jaw drops open because Kyungsoo's wearing a freaking white tuxedo. His hair styled to perfection, his clothes professionally pressed. Shiny white leather shoes, cute little black bow-tie. Kyungsoo picks up the microphone and Chanyeol begins to strum his polished guitar. Girls deafeningly shriek from all directions, which snap JongIn out of his state of pure shock. Even at this distance, JongIn watches Kyungsoo take a breath before he sings.

It's the same song that Kyungsoo had sung that one time in the bookstore. Only amplified to all of its beautiful glory. Kyungsoo's voice melts him right then and there. The sweet melodies make his chest rise to the point where his heart constricts.

JongIn watches the way Kyungsoo's eyes close when his sings. The way the corners of his mouth lift into a smile when he stands on the stage.

JongIn thinks the song ends far too soon.

Chanyeol and Kyungsoo bow ninety degrees to the audience. It's then that Kyungsoo catches JongIn's eye. Brown eyes drawing him closer. A genuine smile graces his lips. Kyungsoo flushes as he gnaws the side of his lip. He lingers on the stage a moment more than he should have.