Dentist's Appointment

Appa Joonmyeon and his five baby dwarfs

Dentist's appointment - Family!Au Drabble


 

“Jongin, listen to me.” Dr Zheng called out as he crouched down to Jongin’s eye level. Jongin had crawled under a table in the dentist’s office, and hung onto the legs of the table as tightly as he could, squeezing his eyes shut as he cried out a few strained no, no no’s.

Kyungsoo released a drawn out sigh, crossing his arms agitatedly, as he rolled his eyes at Jongin.

“Get up, Jongin, don’t be such a fraidy cat.” Kyungsoo said, attempting to pull at Jongin’s arms – only to get a glare thrown back at his face.

Dr Zheng chuckled, getting up to walk toward Joonmyeon who looked like he was busy wiping some jam off Baekhyun’s face. As he got closer, he could hear their conversation.

“Appa, I’m not a baby.” The brown haired boy whined, pouting as he looked up at his father with twinkling eyes.

“Baekie, you’ll always be my little baby.” Joonmyeon cooed, smiling down at the boy who was finishing off his jam tart – another large splodge of red sugary jam spread against his lips as he smiled up at his father. He quickly got up and went running towards Chanyeol, who was too busy scary the other kids with his new Halloween mask.

Joonmyeon sighed, shaking his head.

Of all the desserts in the world, they pick the messiest ones.

Although Joonmyeon had to think again to remember that, A, they were at the dentists – and B, he was feeding their kids sugary foods as a bribe that will surely rot their teeth.

Good job, Joonmyeon.

He made sure to internally hit himself over and over again with a brick, because talk about bad parenting in its worst and more ironic form.

 

Nevertheless, Joonmyeon crouched down and pulled a packet of wet wipes from his bag. He learned the wipes idea from Lay, when he saw the latter carrying them around the house as he looked after the kids one day.

That kid was a genius.

He quickly scrubbed at the carpet, trying to get rid of the red jam stains on the floor and looked up to see Dr Zheng smiling down at him.

“Well, Kyungsoo and I have both tried, but Jongin’s not moving from that same spot.” Dr Zheng said, a little amusement lacing his voice as he looked back at Jongin.

Jongin was still underneath the table, but this time, Kyungsoo was sitting beside him taunting him with a toy car that he rolled away with his hand. Jongin pouted, his lower lip trembling as he watched the car ride away, and then shouted for his appa. Kyungsoo told him that appa wasn’t going to come because he was being a particularly bad boy that day, and that’s when Jongin crawled out.

He ran towards Joonmyeon, holding onto the back of his father’s leg, sticking his tongue out at Kyungsoo. He then looked up at Dr Zheng and shot him a glare with his big, brown eyes. They looked anything but intimidating, but Jongin didn’t know that.

“Look, Kyungsoo went for a check-up – and he’s alright.” Joonmyeon comforted, trying to turn himself around so he could face Jongin. But as he turned, Jongin followed, leaving Joonmyeon looking like a dog who was frantically trying to chase his tail.

Dr Zheng chuckled, calling out another name on his register.

“Sehun?” He said, looking around the room.

Joonmyeon gave Jongin’s head a light pat, and searched for Sehun too.

Sehun was in the corner of the room, his eyes searching for something out of the window as he rested his chin on the windows ledge. He looked up – resembling a lost puppy – as his eyes widened in fear. Dr Zheng inched closer, walking slowly up to the younger with the clipboard in his hand and a weary smile on his face. Sehun merely sat still, wondering whether he should get up and try to run away. But Joonmyeon followed – well, he waddled towards Sehun too, with a currently very clingy Jongin still wrapped around one of his legs.  

The look on Jongin’s face said it all, and as Dr Zheng bent down to Sehun’s eyelevel and rested his hand on the boy’s shoulder – Sehun and Jongin made some sort of secret agreement.

All out of a sudden, a scream ripped past Sehun’s lips and he pushed past Dr Zheng, crawling through the dentist’s legs as he hung onto Joonmyeon’s other leg that wasn’t currently being hauled by Jongin.

Jongin momentarily applauded Sehun for his…well, enthusiasm, and jumped alongside him, whilst hanging on to appa.

“No dentist, no dentist!” the boys cried, in sync with each other, as they started circling Joonmyeon, giggling as he tried chasing after them.

After a few broken attempts, Joonmyeon called Kyungsoo and Chanyeol over to help. But Baekhyun was too busy (failing) attempting to pin Chanyeol down, in a hurried attempt to tickle him so he could win the prize, his Halloween mask. Howls of laughter followed, and Joonmyeon sighed with defeat.

The two boys gave each other a knowing look, before circling Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo tried grabbing for them both, but they were too quick.  

He managed to rally Jongin in, after cornering him between the door to the dentist’s office and the planted plot on the floor. Just as Kyungsoo held onto Jongin’s arm, and was about to walk up to Joonmyeon – Jongin thrashed about and tugged Kyungsoo along with him as he made a run for the toilets.

Kyungsoo – who was too scared of losing his catch – let himself be dragged, his loud cries of appa, Jongin’s here heard from nearly a mile off.

Joonmyeon looked up and saw Kyungsoo’s retreating figure being dragged away and with Jongin’s fit of giggles he assumed they’d be okay for a few more minutes.

He was crouched down, on all fours, looking for Sehun everywhere when he noticed a shadow emerging from behind a tall plant. He didn’t want to disturb it – as experience from all those wildlife shows that a hunter should stalk it’s pray – presumably by not running up to it and hugging the life out of it.

Joonmyeon slowly pursued his way up to the plotted plant, placing his finger over his lips when he caught Dr Zheng throwing him a weird look.

It wasn’t the only look he was getting that day.

Because really, when do you see an adult man crawling towards a plant pot, on the floors in a waiting room.

Never.

Like seriously, that’s the kind of thing that happens once in a blue moon.

But for Joonmyeon, that’s what you would call a normal visit to the dentist’s.

Although it was Sehun who made the first move in the chase, as the younger turned around, his face poking from the side of the plant. In the corner of his eye, he could see Joonmyeon creeping towards him, and covered his mouth – muffling another shriek from the sheer excitement of getting caught.

Joonmyeon watched as the shadow stirred. Sehun looked like he was squirming, and Joonmyeon frowned.

This wasn’t going to be as easy as he hoped it would.

Sehun jumped out in front of Joonmyeon – startling the elder a little as he tried grabbing Sehun. Instead, his whole body collapsed to the ground, and Sehun stomped over his back. Laughing, all whilst shouting out appa can’t catch me!

Joonmyeon winced, a dull pain growing in his lower back as he tried getting up.

Mr Zheng pushed his hand out sympathetically, letting Joonmyeon hold onto it as he stood up. He placed one hand on the small of his back, rubbing it harshly – as if it would stop the pain.

Man, he was getting old.

There’s only so much hair dye out there in the world, Joonmyeon – you can’t cover up those greys forever my friend.

 

Dr Zheng looked at his list, but squinted when the words blurred into one. He patted down his front pocket to collect his glasses, but when he looked down the pocket was empty.

Joonmyeon watched as the dentist struggled, and his eyes widened when he looked behind Dr Zheng.

There, Sehun was standing – a pair of (what looked like) bifocals were clasped between his small fingers – and a mischievous smile on his lips.

Sehun was advancing towards Chanyeol and Baekhyun, and Joonmyeon prayed to god that he could get there first before the younger.

You see, Chanyeol was too clumsy to keep anything safe for less than 10 minutes, and Baekhyun was too experimental when it came to anything new – so imagine what it would be like if the pair of them were given some glasses.

All hell would figuratively break loose.

Hey, maybe literally too, who knows?

In this case, Joonmyeon would probably be screwed because this was the last dentist willing to take his kids. And he had to consider that as a ing achievement – because no other practitioner had the patience or the sanity to keep up the whole ‘smile at your patients no matter how annoying’ act. By the end of a few appointments, Joonmyeon would have a long list of bills to pay, and a big not wanted poster filled with the photos of his kids taped on the front door.

 

“Sehunnie, give appa those glasses please…” Joonmyeon asked as he tried putting on his sweetest smile. Instead, his smile went lopsided as he stuck his arms out – trying to grab Sehun in his hands. But Sehun dodged his appa, and blew a raspberry, hopping over to the Lego forts.

Joonmyeon gave a helpless look before hauling himself over, nearing crippling over the Lego pieces under his feet. Because no amount of material (that a shoe could offer), can mask the sharp pricks of those blocks under his feet.

In danger of splitting the pieces in half because of his whole weight solely on the pieces, Joonmyeon quickly tip-toed around the coloured Lego buildings and forts, and caught up with Sehun.

Sehun’s tongue was jutting out as he tip-toed too, and finally reached the dynamic duos who were bordered around their own built up multi-coloured Lego fortress. He managed to get their successfully in one piece (haha, get it?) and laughed at his father who tried dodging the pieces Baekhyun was throwing at him.

Dr Zheng was long gone by this time, probably already with another patient in his office.

Some other kid who was probably better behaved than any of Joonmyeon’s kids could be – well minus Kyungsoo of course.

Speaking of Kyungsoo.

He was sit stuck in a bathroom stall, with Jongin leaning on the other side. Jongin put all of his might to stop Kyungsoo from getting out, and no matter how many times the elder tried kicking the door down, the weight of Jongin’s body wholly against the door proved too difficult.

“Jongin-ah!” Kyungsoo sighed, hitting the door pathetically with his small fist.

“Uh – uh! Kyunggie hyung!” Jongin cried, shaking his head as he let an excited squeal leave his lips.

“Jonginnie…” Kyungsoo said calmly, “…it doesn’t hurt; he only looks inside of your mouth…” Jongin grimaced at the thought of having fingers prodding on his teeth; the sight of the big metal machine whistling near his teeth gave him chills. He began shaking his head furiously.

“…besides Dr Zheng gives us lollipops after!”

Jongin stopped shaking his head and let go of the door.

He looked at Kyungsoo wide eyed.

“Really!” he screamed, pushing himself onto Kyungsoo and weaving his arms around the elder’s waist.

“Can I have yours?” he asked a wide grin on his lips as he looked for the lollipop everywhere.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes – but smiled nonetheless. From his pocket he got out a blue coloured wrapped lollipop and twisted the packaging, revealing a blue blueberry flavoured lollipop. Jongin was about to grasp at it, but Kyungsoo instead pushed it into his own mouth. He it blatantly and made a show of it too, watching as Jongin’s mouth drop.

“I’m sorry Jonginnie; but it has all my germs on it.” Kyungsoo said sneakily, tasting the blueberry as he smiled at Jongin.

But before his tongue reached the blue tip for a second , Jongin snatched it from his hands and turned away.

“It’s alright-”

He quickly popped it into his mouth and moved it to the side.

 Kyungsoo grimaced.

“-we can share.”

With that, Jongin skipped out of the bathroom, leaving Kyungsoo standing in front of the stalls – a little nauseated, as he looked at his reflection through the mirror – he looked green.

 

Jongin walked in to see his appa a little worse for wear.

He was lying, belly first on the floor – a pair of black rimmed bifocals in the clutches of his hand, with a green Lego piece in another. Chanyeol and Baekhyun were balancing a few other red and blue Lego on his back – and Sehun was too busy trying to untangle himself of the tie from a wolf mask (Chanyeol’s, aka, Baekhyun’s Halloween mask).

Kyungsoo trailed behind Jongin, and seized the younger boy’s arm, and led him towards a few chairs. They both sat down – with Jongin protesting quietly, and Kyungsoo hushing him. Kyungsoo picked up a magazine and threw it on Jongin’s lap, earning a confused look from the other.

Jongin picked it up with one hand, noticing the familiar character of Pororo on the front page.

Kyungsoo was holding an identical one, however, he was flipping over a few pages – his eyebrows furrowing as he read over the latest comical strips off one of the spinoff Pororo shows. His mind too engrossed, he didn’t notice Jongin leaving his side slowly.

Jongin sneaked up to Baekhyun and Chanyeol; starling them, as he rested his hands on their shoulders and asked if he could join them. But then, that’s when Baekhyun thought of an ingenious way of getting appa up.

“Jongin-ah, you jump on appa, and then me and yeollie wil-” Baekhyun started, the rest of his sentence turning into a hushed whisper as they saw Joonmyeon shuffling uncomfortably.

Jongin readied his stance, looking back to make sure Kyungsoo wasn’t watching, and took a deep breath. He smiled – a mixture between nervousness and eagerness – and nodded at Sehun who decided to join him last minute.

With preparations out of the way, Jongin and Sehun both did a run up and jumped on their appa’s back heavily, earning a loud grunt from Joonmyeon below them. But that wasn’t the end of it, Joonmyeon’s eye’s shot open to see two pairs staring widely at him – right, in front, of, his, face.

He screamed (yes, like a little girl) and thanked god that all the parents had left already.

As Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Sehun and Jongin all sank to the floor; their stomachs caving in from all that laughter, Joonmyeon scratched his head sheepishly and gave the office clerk an apologetic smile. She pushed her glasses up to hide her annoyed expression, but Joonmyeon saw past the lenses that she was pretty freaked out by the girlish screech he just let out.

Dr Zheng ran into the waiting room, frightened by the sound of – what he thought was a young girl screaming – and ran over to the mess that was Joonmyeon on the floor. With no one else in sight, he just assumed it had to be one of the kids in the room.

“Joonmyeon, is everyone alright?” Dr Zheng asked carefully, eying all the children in the room with a worried expression, “…I heard a scream and…” he continued, looking at the four boys still left a giggling mess on the floor.

“It was me.” Joonmyeon admitted quietly, scooping up Sehun and Jongin in his arms.

“Ah, I guess the last two appointments are ready.” He quickly changed the subject, dodging the judging look he was getting from the doctor, as he held Jongin and Sehun between the crooks of his arms. The boys quickly stopped laughing and looked up at Joonmyeon, scared out of their wits. They tried struggling and squirming their way out, but Joonmyeon was holding on strongly.

After asking the clerk to keep an eye on the three left behind, and walked towards the dentist’s office – the two boy’s mid-air as he let Dr Zhang open the door for him.

Sehun and Jongin shared a glance of what looked like horror when they caught the metal machine attached to the dentist’s chair, and looked up at Joonmyeon with starry eyes.

Joonmyeon smiled at them comfortingly, hiding the evil laugh inside of his soul.

Revenge never tasted so sweet.

 

After the two gruelling hours it took to finally subdue the pair – meaning, getting Sehun out from under the table and Jongin strapped onto the dentist chair – the two came out with bright smiles and red lollipops in their hand.

Joonmyeon looked exhausted, as he rubbed his eyes groggily to knock the sleep out of them.

He still needed to go grocery shopping, or else the kids wouldn’t have breakfast.

Great Joonmyeon, great idea for leaving everything so last minute. It’s not like you didn’t know that the dentist’s visit was probably going to be a wreck of havoc and disaster.

But just before he left, his hands entwined with Sehun’s and Jongin’s, and Chanyeol’s holding Kyungsoo and Baekhyun – the clerk handed him the bill.

Joonmyeon let go of Sehun and Jongin’s hands and picked up the paper.

“How much?” he asked incredulously, as he looked over the price bulging out on the paper in a bold, red font. The three figures already making his head go dizzy.

“It’s for each of their check-ups…” the clerk started “…and additional charges for the…well…the hassle.” She stated bluntly, looking at the clock on the wall as if to inadvertently tell Joonmyeon to piss off.

Joonmyeon scrunched his face in disbelief, “…but, but I can’t pay th-”

“I’m sorry Mr Kim, but that’s not our problem. Now, if you’d like to follow me, it’s nearly closing time.”

Joonmyeon let Sehun and Jongin bring their hands up to hold his hand and they all walked out. Chanyeol and the others in front of him, as he tried to wonder how the heck he was going to manage this month’s finances to pay whatever the that was written on the paper.

Revenge never tasted so expensive.


 

Guess who's back. 

-that's right, this wink is for all you unlucky souls who gotta deal with all of this *z formations*