06; No more drinking.

The Joys and Sorrows of Our Love

 

 

“So... How are things between you and Kai, Min?”

Jaemin plopped down onto SooJung’s bed and spread her arms out, staring at the ceiling. It is a Saturday today and Jaemin have been at SooJung’s house for the entire day, catching up with her. Two weeks have passed ever since the little tiff between Kai and Jaemin was resolved.

“We are getting along just fine, I guess.” Jaemin shrugged.

“Just fine?” SooJung eyed Jaemin knowingly. “I don’t think it’s just fine, Min.” SooJung wiggled her eyebrows.

Jaemin sat up straight and shoved SooJung off the bed. “What are you thinking of, Jung?!”

“Yah, Yoon Jaemin! Are you guilty?! You don’t have to shove me off the bed!” SooJung bellowed and knocked her forehead.

Jaemin pouted and rubbed her forehead while plopping back down onto the bed. “I know he’s hiding something from me.” Jaemin said softly.

“Even though he seems much happier right now, he still isn’t that dorky Kai like before.” SooJung sighed. “Yah, your phone is ringing.” SooJung grumbled while tossing Jaemin’s phone towards her.

“Ouch!” Jaemin yelped when her phone bounced off her chin. “Watch it, woman!” She scowled before picking up the phone.

“Hey, are you home right now?”

“I’m at SooJung’s place right now. What’s up?” Jaemin frowned when she swore that Kai sounded a little... Off.

“Are you planning to leave soon?”

“Erm... Yeah, I am. Why?” Jaemin straightened up immediately.

“I will meet you in five outside SooJung’s house.” Kai hung up abruptly. Jaemin blinked at her phone. *There’s something really wrong about him today.*

“Who’s that?” SooJung asked curiously.

“It’s Kai. I think something happened, Jung. He sounded really weird.” Jaemin bit her bottom lip.

“He’s coming over to pick you up?” SooJung tilted her head to the side. Jaemin nodded. “He will be here in five.”

SooJung sighed. “See you in school on Monday then.” SooJung engulfed Jaemin in a hug before shooing her out of the house.

Jaemin paced up and down along the streets outside SooJung’s apartment, getting more and more worried with each step she takes. She rubbed her hands against her arm, trying to keep herself warm. *I should have stayed in there for another minute or so.*

Jaemin jumped slightly when a jacket was wrapped around her shoulders. Glancing up at the owner of the grey sweater standing in front of her, her brows knotted in worry.

“I’m fine, you need it too.” Jaemin was about to return the jacket back to Kai when he placed his hand on her arm, gazing at her firmly. Jaemin didn’t falter a single bit under his gaze. She pulled the jacket off her shoulders gently and set it back on Kai’s shoulders.

“Yoon Jaemin.” Kai growled softly as his hands wrapped around the sleeves of the jacket, ready to pull it off him. “Na-uh, don’t even think about that. Come on, let’s get going. The both of us will only get colder if we keep staying put.” Jaemin tugged on Kai’s arm and began walking.

Kai sighed and gave in to her. He slipped his arms through his jacket and grabbed Jaemin’s hands, stuffing their intertwined hands into the pocket of his jacket.

“I hate how stubborn you are most of the times.” Kai flicked Jaemin’s forehead with his free hand. He rubbed Jaemin’s forehead for her the next moment, knowing that it hurts. Jaemin swatted his hand away, sticking her tongue out at him.

“Where are we heading to?” Jaemin asked as she realised they were strolling down the streets aimlessly. Or at least that was what she thought. “My place.” Kai answered.

“Your place?” Jaemin blinked. Kai nodded. “I’m not letting you head home when your heater broke down. You will probably freeze to death without a heater.”

“I can just cover myself with few more layers of blankets!” Jaemin retorted. She hates troubling others.

Kai rolled his eyes. “Yeah, right, As if a few more layers of thin blankets will help in any way when the weather is almost zero degrees right now.” Kai scanned Jaemin from head to toe. “Can you please enlighten me what on earth you are wearing right now?!”

Jaemin glanced down at her outfit. “Eh, a plain white tee and jeans?” She tilted her head towards the side, confused.

Kai smoothened out his face using his free hand. “Oh, goodness gracious. You do realise that it’s 6pm right now and it’s only 4 degrees, do you?”

Jaemin’s brows furrowed when she smelt a familiar scent that she simply detested. Jaemin inched closer towards Kai and took a brief whiff of his jacket. She stared straight into Kai’s eyes. “Were you drinking?”

Kai turned rigid as he stared into Jaemin’s cold eyes. “Look, it’s not what it seems like, Jaemin. I have a reason.”

Kai knew the reason behind Jaemin’s strong hate for liquor, it was because of her dad.

Kai started panicking as he fumbled for the right words. “Jaemin, I swear that I wasn’t drinking out of fun.”

Jaemin looked away, breaking the eye contact. “That was what he said too.”

“Jaemin!” No matter how many times Kai tried calling her name, she wouldn’t turn and meet his eyes. He sighed in desperation and run his hand through his hair.

**

Kai kicked the blankets off him out of frustration. He spent 2 hours tossing around his bed but he couldn’t go to sleep at all.

How could he possibly fall asleep when he knew that Jaemin was still angry at him? She was sleeping on the couch, in the living room, which she insisted to.

He got off the bed and shuffled towards the living room, noticing that Jaemin was sitting up straight, hugging her knees.

“Aren’t you tired?” He asked softly as he stood behind the couch. Jaemin glanced up at him and shook her head.

Kai sighed heavily and grabbed the blanket folded neatly beside her, draping it over her back. He was about to head back to his room after accepting the fact that Jaemin wasn’t going to talk to him any time soon.

“Kai, why did you do that?” Jaemin mumbled while resting her chin against her knees. She felt a weight on the other end of the sofa and she knew that it was Kai.

“My mum made me felt that love is cheap, as though it isn’t worth a thing at all. How could she arrange a girl to pretend that she’s in love with me and even wanted us to get married, I just can’t believe it. So I began thinking about how pathetic my life is and decided to drop by a bar for a drink. I only had a cup when you came into my mind. I knew how disappointed you will be in me if you knew that I was drowning myself with liquor so I stopped drinking and I rung you up.” Kai glanced at Jaemin, waiting for her reaction but she wasn’t moving at all.

“Did you shower earlier on?” Jaemin asked out of a sudden. Kai blinked, taken aback by Jaemin’s question but he answered nonetheless. “Yeah, I did.” He was still staring into space, wondering about Jaemin’s question when he felt a weight on his chest.

Kai chuckled softly while wrapping his arm around Jaemin. *She really hates the scent of liquor, doesn’t she?* “So am I forgiven now?”

Jaemin nodded and snuggled closer to Kai. “I’m sorry for not giving you a chance to explain.” She said before yawning.

The corners of Kai’s lips tugged upwards as he patted Jaemin’s head. “It’s okay, you silly. Go to sleep, you must be tired.”

Jaemin hummed in response and pulled the blanket over the both of them. “Goodnight, meanpoo. Don’t ever drink again, got it?”

“Yes, Madam, I got it!” Kai replied cheekily before leaning his head against Jaemin’s, ready to head into dreamland. 

 


 

I know my updates aren't long but I'm trying my best to update frequently! :D

Do subscribe and comment~~