Chapter 4 - The Game

The Beast Within [CLOSED]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Alright short stuff,” Kai said tugging the end of the girl’s hair as they formed a line for the layup shots, “Let’s see if you can shoot hoops.”

“Please,” she said, narrowing her eyes at him, “I could whip your anytime, any day.”

“With a height like yours, only if you cheat,” Kai teased, twirling the strand of hair he had tugged around his finger. She had such beautiful, soft hair. He was utterly fascinated by it.

Electricity sparked within her as his fingers played with her hair. She swallowed hard, conscious of her breathing and trying to keep her breath even. She did not want to feel this way about him but the call of destiny sometimes could not be ignored.

She elbowed him in his ribs as SeHun stepped up to make his shots. One, two, three. He got them all. Kai gave him thumbs up as he walked to the back of the line. There was a breathy sigh from behind him as SeHun passed. Curiously, Kai turned to see who it was.

Red cheeked and starry eyed, LuHan stood behind him drinking in SeHun’s athletic form. Kai shook his head indulgently and turned back to the witch in front of him.

“You’re up next sweetheart,” he said giving her hair a final tug before releasing the strands. She flashed her brilliant smile and winked at him before turning her back and stepping up to the line.

Kai looked at her, head tilted to the side as she held the ball between her hands, long slender fingers playing over the surface her hair glinting under the dusty sunlight from the window at the side. She poised, aimed and released the ball. Kai followed the movement.

The ball sailed through the air, he could hear the fine whistling sound of the wind then it hit the rim of the hoop and fell in.

“Yes!” she squealed pumping her fist in the air. She turned around and gave Kai an ‘i-told-you-so’ look, a smug smile forming on her lips, mirroring the expression in her eyes.

Kai bit back his laughter. Not for one second had he doubted her but his façade had been enough to fool her. He raised his palms in a gesture of surrender and smiled at her in return. She sank the next two shot with as much ease as the first one, before walking up to him.

“I told you I could-“ she began before she was cut off by a shriek of laughter falling from her lips.

On impulse, Kai had picked her up and hugged her, spinning her once before setting her down slowly on her feet. The pure light of happiness shining from his face.

“You were great sweetheart,” he said brushing the hair that had fallen into her face. A blush spread from her cheeks, as she looked downward, her heart skipping erratically.

She cleared , “It’s your turn now.”

“Oh right!” Kai scratched the back of his neck sheepishly before giving her a final smile. He stepped up to the line. He had played this shot so many times, in so many games before. Somehow, today it felt different.

Kai took a deep breath to settle the jolt that she gave his system everytime they touched.  He held the ball between his palms, aimed then shot.

It’s a perfect shot as usual he thought.

It should be a perfect shot.

The ball hit the rim of the hoop.

It should have been a perfect shot.

It bounced off the rim and sailed towards the windows.

Kai looked startled, blinking in dismay. It had been a while since he had missed a shot. SeHun got up from the benches and intercepted the ball, throwing it back to Kai.

Absently, Kai nodded his thanks, trying to ignore the taunting mutters of the opposing team members and the doubtful ones of his own team.

“C’mon y’all,” he heard Lu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter