Chapter 1 - Moonlight Wanderings

The Beast Within [CLOSED]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The deer walked unhurried in the moonlight, enjoying the sweet night air and its life. A bright, yellow full moon hung in the sky, beautiful, dangerous. It was a dark night although the moon was out. There was not a sparkle of stars in the sky.

The beautiful things often hid the most danger beneath their alluring exterior the wolf thought as it kept its eyes focused on its oblivious prey.

The young deer stopped to munch at the sweet grass near its feet, unaware it was being stalked. The footsteps of the hunter were masked by the sounds of the night. Then it pounced, catching the neck in its powerful jaw and snapping it quickly to curb the suffering. The deer let out its last, shuddering breath and went still in the jaws of the hunter. Hungrily, the creature devoured the deer, tearing off chunks of raw meat and swallowing it whole. Its paws and muzzle was matted with the deer's blood. After it was finished, it wiped its muzzle in the tall grass, removing most of the blood.
Just then, the wind blew strong and cold, bringing with it a foreign scent. Foreign to this forest, the wolf thought. Moving cautiously, he padded off towards the scent. It was not the scent of an animal nor was it a human scent. What other supernatural creature dared tread into his forest unwelcomed?

It was clearly a female, the wind tossing the tendrils of hair around her shoulders. The moonlight etched her slim figure against the darkness in the forest. She looked human but the scent was definitely wrong. The wolf took one more step forward curious to see the human-like creature. She turned and glared into the darkness, almost as though she could see him.
"I can hear you," she hissed, “I can smell you too. The musky scent of the wolf does not entirely mask your human part.”
The words reached his sensitive ears.  She knew what he was and he did not know what she was yet.
Slowly, the wolf stepped out into a patch of moonlight. Its fur still somewhat bloody.
 

"Who are you?" the girl asked, taking a cautious step forward, wanting to get a better view of the werewolf.
The wolf let out a warning growl, not wanting her to get too close although he too was curious to know what she was. Carefully, he took a step back into the trees, the shadows protecting him from her eyes.
 

"I am a werewolf," a voice replied from where the wolf had disappeared, "I can control my transformations somewhat, but there is still the need for relea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter