Chapter 2

The Treasure Chest
Please log in to read the full chapter

Mira woke late in the night to someone shaking her up. She groggily looked around before she took in the red-orange hue outside her window, the screams and wails outside on the streets and the terrified face of her youngest sibling, little three-year old Lina. She quickly scooped her up into her arms and ran across the hall to where her other two siblings, Ali and Jason sat huddled on one bed. At the sight of her they quickly got up and took hold of her skirt as she rushed down the stairs to the shop. Her mother was in the shop trying to salvage her elder sister's dress. About ready to shout she gently set Lina down and yanked the dress out of her mother's hands.

"We have no time for this mother! You almost forgot about the kids upstairs! About us! There is a fire out there! The pirates are here! And you are wasting time salvaging Dina's dress?" She hissed before she stomped back over to her younger siblings, deposited little Lina into her mother's arms, took hold of Ali and Jason's hands and ushered everyone out of their door. Once out she ran towards the darkest alley--about half a mile from the fire and left her mother and younger siblings in the alley before running back to the home to retrieve everything valuable before her mother grabbed her sleeve. 

"Mira, there is something important in our room. A little golden chest, a locket and a key it will all be in the last dresser drawer. If you can please get it. It's been in the family for generations and I need you to get it for me, please." Her mother looked expectantly at her with earnest eyes. Nodding quickly, Mira pried her mother's hands off her dress sleeve and hurriedly ran back towards their home.

She ran through the door and ran up the stairs. Coughing she used her hand to disperse the smoke and made her way into her parents' room. She took a quick sweep around the room before she spotted the mahogany dresser in the far right corner. She quickly opened the bottom drawer and drew out the chest and felt around for the locket and the key. Once she got ahold of these items she ran back down the stairs to the store and opened the money safe--she emptied it onto the counter and stuffed it into her brassiere. 

As fast as a cheetah she ran back out of the store and into the alley where her family awaited. She quickly drew the money from her chest and stuffed it into her mother's hands before she grabbed her younger siblings' hands and once again ushered everyone towards the docks. They would need a ship out of there the town was going to burn--they needed to get to the mainland of Marcos and hopefully find their father. Her father! Of course! If he came back after all of this commotion to find that his family was gone how was he going to find them? Still holding the chest and wearing the locket and key around her neck she turned towards her mother with a quick promise--that she would be right back. She turned back towards their family house for a second time and ran without looking back.

-----

"Yeol, the captain wants to speak with you." Bill? He thought it was told him.

"What for?" He replied without bothering to open his eyes.

"That's his and your business. It is urgent though so if you would please." Bill impatiently gestured toward the door.

"Alright alright. I'm going." Chanyeol sighed before swinging his legs off the bed and stalking off toward Jeorge's cabin.

Knocking on the door he announced his arrival with a quick 'you asked for me?' Jeorge's faint noise of approval led to Chanyeol pushing the door open.

There on the bed was the once energetic captain of the Angelina. Jacques Jeorge. Most people knew him as Jeorge. But this man in the bed wasn't the man everyone knew--this man in the bed was weak, his skin was pale, and he wheezed as he breathed. Chanyeol had dreaded seeing him all day--he knew what came next. The 'death' speech. But he couldn't do that to him! This man, his father, though he hardly acknowledged him as such. His father was on his death bed and he was going to die. He couldn't accept it. This man has been in his life for 15 years--since he was a toddling child. He was only five when this man took him in and now he was 20 and the very same man was

Please log in to read the full chapter