03

Nicest Thing

"I heard Baekhyun and Kyungsoo aren't getting back together anymore," Minseok said.

 

"For real?" Lu Han asked. The news was shocking. How could it not be, though? They were together for a whole year, even with the constant break ups and Baekhyun's tendency to ocassionally flirt with just about any other girl. It was unthinkable, much like Yixing and Kris's relationship. But then again, they broke up too, didn't they?

 

Minseok nodded. "Jonghee told me,"

 

"That girl knows everything."

 

"She's been hanging out in the library," Yixing said casually, sipping at her juice.

 

"That wasn't a joke?" Lu Han asked incredulously.

 

"She's been trying to get into Joonmyun-oppa's pants for awhile now,"

 

Lu Han choked. Minseok, eyes wide, spluttered a bunch of times trying--and failing--to say, "What?!" When he recovered, Yixing was grinning in amusement. "I actually made a bet with Chanmi,"

 

Lu Han perked up, suddenly interested.

 

Minseok shook his head. "I don't even want to know about it,"

 

"I do!" Lu Han said.

 

Yixing gave him a playful glance. Lu Han stared, fixated, heart suddenly in his throat. "I'll tell you later," Yixing told him. Lu Han, completely taken off guard, couldn't even find it in himself to give a proper reply. Yixing, probably sensing his trouble, changed the topic with ease, but not before giving Yixing a strange 'What is wrong with you?' look. "Do you know about Taemin's dance crew? They'll be getting a girl this year,"

 

Lu Han took the opening. "And you're gonna join them, of course," he nodded, because he knew it was true. Yixing was a dancer at heart, and she was good. Really good.

 

"I'll be auditioning, too," Minseok piped up. He took out a flyer and showed it to Lu Han, who took one disinterested look and nothing else. He was happy for them, though.

 

"Yey!" Yixing clapped her hands in delight. It made sense, her sudden over enthusiasm when they played Just Dance, her absences when they went out; she was preparing for this.

 

"Just don't...overexert yourself," Lu Han warned with a worried frown. Lu Han knew Yixing's habits and her annoyingly obstinate personality. It usually helped her in achieving her goals, but in the past Yixing suffered injuries because of it. Yixing, pale and in pain in a hospital bed was a scary sight.

 

Lu Han didn't want to see her like that again.

 

Yixing looked up through her short fringe to give him a sweet smile. "Okay, Xiao Lu,"

 

 

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

 

 

The venue was jam-packed with people who wanted to join Mint Crew, Lee Taemin's dance crew of 5, a troupe so popular they'd been featured on television, performing at important events. Lu Han respected them for their talent, but their members were quite unreachable, too caught up in their fame that they rarely ever mingled with people they didn't approve of. And Lu Han understood that, understood the detachment people usually manifested when they were too comfortable in their own group. But that only meant that they'd be more unwilling to take in another person in their group, which was why Lu Han had been unsure about the whole Yixing joining them thing, apart from his worrying over her well being.

 

Yixing didn't look worried at all though, which just made Lu Han stress over what was about to happen more. Not to mention there was a member looking their way at the moment, someone Lu Han vaguely remembered having the name of Donghae, and was certainly looking straight at forever oblivious Yixing. Lu Han scowled, and made way to stand in front of her, shielding her from sight. Almost immediately, Donghae looked away.

 

Yixing appeared too near above his shoulder, voice warm against his cheek. "Um, what are you doing?" Lu Han dared to look at her, and regretted it immediately. She was too close, for god's sake. He pushed her forehead back in panic. "Ah, ya!"

 

Lu Han looked over to Donghae once more, making sure he wasn't looking anymore, before stepping away from Yixing. "Sorry about that," he said. Yixing looked at him as if he were crazy, and he continued, after much thought, "Are you really sure about this?"

 

But she wasn't listening anymore. Lu Han checked to see if Minseok was in the same dazed, but determined state, and found that he was. In front of them a circle formed, and in the middle stood Taemin, his hair shorter and back to almond brown. Behind him stood the other three: Donghae, Eunhyuk, and Henry. Jino was nowhere in sight, having gone to another country, which left one empty slot for people like Minseok to, hopefully, occupy.

 

The introductions were done swiftly and curtly; the usual rules were as followed: music would play, anyone who wanted to join were to dance in the middle of the crowd, and there they would be judged. It would take less than 30 minutes, usually. Dancers were picked then and there, and sometimes no one would catch their eye, maybe next time to aspiring dancers. Most people weren't even going to audition; most of the crowd were there for the entertainment, and the entertainment only.

 

"As you can see, Jino isn't here anymore," Taemin was saying, grinning sunnily at all of them. "But it's alright! My cousin just came back from America this summer, and he'd be joining us,"

 

Wait, did that mean--"Sorry, folks--" Lu Han didn't even listen to his excuse anymore, just looked at Minseok in concern. Minseok gave no reaction, though; no twitch, no complaints. Typical of Minseok. Lu Han reached out to touch his shoulder, trying to offer comfort. "Hey,"

 

Minseok shrugged his hand away but smiled gratefully.

 

"We'll be getting a girl this time, though!"

 

Yixing stood as still as a rock, yet Lu Han could still see her excitement. It made her eyes shine bright, her cheeks flush. She was wearing normal dance clothes: a tank that hugged her curves and showed how busty she really was, and too large sweatpants that she folded around her knees to lessen discomfort when dancing. Yixing looked stunning, especially when she keyed up like this.

 

Before he could back away from the thought, Lu Han removed the shirt he was wearing to reveal the wifebeater underneath.

 

"Wear this," he told her, looking straight ahead to avoid her confused gaze. For a moment he feared she wouldn't take it, but after awhile she took it from his hand. It was too big on her, hid her curves and went past her hips, so she pulled it up to tighten it around her waist. She also reached her arm out, gesturing to Lu Han. Lu Han thought, What, before finally getting it.

 

He took the hem in his hands and folded the sleeves upward. Yixing moved closer for better access, and turned around so Lu Han could fold the other sleeve. Once done, Lu Han stepped away slowly, heart still racing from the contact of skin on skin. Yixing smiled in thanks, for the sleeve-folding or the shirt itself, Lu Han wasn't so sure.

 

That was when the music started. Lu Han wasn't listening to what Taemin was saying anymore, opting instead to watch in interest as he pulled a stranger from the crowd and placed him in the middle of everyone with a hearty laugh. Nobody could see the stranger's face with half of it hidden under a cap pulled so low over his eyes.

 

"Oh!" Yixing exclaimed, and Lu Han turned to her.

 

"You know him?" he asked, turning back to the newcomer.

 

Yixing merely nodded, fixated as the guy started moving to the song. Lu Han knew nothing about the technicalities of dancing, but right now he watched and thought, 'Holy .'

 

The guy was good. He was so, so good. Everybody watching thought so as well as they cheered him on with much vigor. His body was like fluid, like elastic, moving to where something seemed to pull him, snapping back in place at the right moment. He travelled around the circle like this, dancing expressively, never missing a beat, all curves and edges and perfect timing.

 

Until he stopped to where they were and locked eyes with Yixing.

 

Up close he looked young, with his easy smirk and sweaty hair. He made a show in front of them, Lu Han thinking at the back of his mind, 'Show off'

,' but Yixing probably thought otherwise. She was smirking at him, with him, as if they shared something just the both of them knew, as if they were having a secret conversation only they could hear. Yixing was rarely ever impressed, but right now she was, which meant the monster of competitiveness inside her was waking, slowly and surely.

 

And wake it did. Taemin's cousin propelled forward, did a spin, and in an instant the people in front of Yixing separated as fast as the Red Sea probably did. He held out a hand, and Lu Han watched as Yixing removed the band on her hair to take it with close to no hesitation at all--he pulled her to him, chest against chest, her leg pulled up as he leaned back and spun her towards the middle of the dancefloor.

 

The crowd went wild. Lu Han stayed numb.

 

The two danced, together, as partners. The guy was good with his expressions and movement, his limbs flowing and locking and shifting. Yixing was more into control, which meant she was more angular, but she was moving her hips this time, too seductive, but that was what competition usually did to Yixing: it made her zero in on dancing, less care for the people around her watching--and then new guy held her hand again, pulling her in, and they the spot, hand in hand. New guy leaned her back this time, her spine curling backwards as her long hair touched the asphalt underneath the both of them. He supported her whole weight, a hand on her back; eyes locked together, faces too close to be considered not intimate.

 

The crowd cheered and hooted and loved it. They loved them. Entertainment, as usual. Taemin was probably really pleased. But Lu Han just felt numb all over, all thoughts of friend-best friend talk some nights ago flying out the window of his skull. He had no chance against someone who dances, who dances really well.

 

Lu Han stared, fixated, disbelieving, as Yixing reached out a hand to remove his cap and place it on her own head. And then, a little too suddenly, and obviously too intimate, he smirked down and very deliberately, kissed her on the corner of .

 

 

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

 

 

His name was Jongin, a year younger Yixing. He studied ballet for years, then jazz, then continued with this dancing profession ever since. Apparently Lee Taemin's cousin from America, who stayed there for 2 years because of family reasons. But now he was back, and was probably staying for a long time. He had three dogs, used to play piano but quit, loves sleeping and sulking and manga. Oh, he also loves dancing. A lot. Nickname was Kai, but only when he danced. Outside of his dancing attire he is stripped off the quiet confidence and the smirks and the sensual dance moves. He was just Kim Jongin, perpetually shy, awkward as a teenager, and sweet.

 

"How the does she know," Lu Han asked, both creeped out and reverent, as Minseok finished reading Mindae's message after Lu Han had typed out a furious "WHAT DO U KNOW ABT LEE TAEMINS COUSIN" Minseok's phone beeped and showed a selca of Mindae with her glasses, bookshelves behind her, posing with a v-sign.

 

"She is creepy,"

 

"Amazing, actually," Minseok chuckled.

 

Lu Han read the message again, more and more distressed the further he got. Shy? Loves to sleep? Sweet? Were they even talking about the same person?

 

The crowd had dispersed by then. Minseok and Lu Han waited at a distance as Yixing talked with the members from a distance. Donghae was being too touchy, too close to Yixing, and if it weren't for Minseok Lu Han had already dashed off to pull Yixing away from him. But that wasn't the only thing keeping him from interrupting them. Yixing looked happy in their company, almost as if she had always been a member of their crew. It was obvious she got accepted.

 

The meeting didn't last that long and soon enough Yixing was walking towards them already, a hesitant looking Jongin in tow. Her acceptance to the crew was written all over her face; Lu Han could see it in how wide her grin was. There was no reason not to accept her, anyway--she was amazing out there, of course she was. Lu Han expected nothing less coming from Yixing, who loved dancing more than anything else in the world. His fondness for her momentarily distracted him from Jongin, who was looking more and more distressed as they got closer.

 

"Guys," she introduced breathlessly, as Jongin bowed. "This is Jongin. Jongin, Lu Han-oppa and Minseok-oppa,"

 

Lu Han-oppa, huh. When was the last time she called him that.

 

They shook hands. Jongin appeared to be a sweet, awkward kid--wouldn't talk unless asked, that kind of awkward. Yixing adored him, which was normal because Yixing adored everyone, liked to dote and touch and spread her affection.

 

A wicked--and relieved--part of Lu Han was glad that Yixing treated him the same way she treated Sehun. Another part, though, boiled at remembering the kiss. On cue he looked at the corner of , looking for evidence that it had happened.

 

"That was brave of you, Jongin-ah," Minseok said kindly.

 

"Ah," Jongin said, getting it. It was about the kiss, Lu Han knew. His face grew red in embarrassment, and if Lu Han didn't find his reaction suspicious he would've found it adorable. "That was--ah,"

 

Yixing giggled happily as Jongin hid face in his hands. They bullied him for awhile, teasing him about Yixing and watching him grow redder with every second. Eventually he was being called by the other members, and then he was bowing his goodbye, and then he'd gone off. Lu Han thought he was cute, in a dongsaeng kind of way, but he was also happy he'd left.

 

"Congratulations, Yixing," Minseok was the first to say, because Lu Han was still reeling from their conversation with Jongin.

 

"Aww, thanks," Yixing told Minseok shyly, fixing her hair.

 

After that Minseok bid his farewell, said he needed to do some errands. Which left Lu Han alone with Yixing. Silence settled as they walked to a nearby bus stop, and soon Yixing grew tired of it and spoke up, "Shouldn't you be saying something to me?"

 

He couldn't help it; Lu Han's mouth twitched up into a teasing grin. "Like what?" and Yixing punched him, painless, playful.

 

"Ya!"

 

"Not until you tell me about Jongin," Lu Han shook his head, feigning disapproval. He added, just to tease, "Kissing strangers now, huh?"

 

Another punch, this time harder. When he turned to look, Yixing actually looked insulted. "Do I look like that kind of girl to you, Lu Han?"

 

She didn't, so Lu Han shook his head. "Of course not,"

 

"I met Jongin a few weeks ago, even before I dyed my hair." she explained, frowning a little as she remembered. "He was walking his dog--the cutest thing, by the way--and we just. Became friends,"

 

"Just like that?"

 

"He lived at a nearby street, so whenever I jogged in the morning he comes with me sometimes. Sometimes he doesn't, but when he does, he brings his dogs,"

 

"And you didn't tell me about him because...?" he was pushing this interrogation, Lu Han knew, but he couldn't stop himself; he wanted to know, jealousy getting the better of him.

 

"Oh," Yixing said, as if realizing something suddenly. She looked up with a worried expression, eyes wide. "Are you angry? I was supposed to tell you days before...but it always slipped my mind. Sorry,"

 

Typical of Yixing, always so forgetful. How could he stay annoyed and jealous after that, when Yixing was looking up at him as if his decision was important. She didn't mean to keep it a secret, and the kiss was probably a spur of the moment thing, playful and didn't linger, so Lu Han stopped in his walking and spread out his arms.

 

"Lu Han?"

 

"Don't I get a hug?" he asked playfully, grinning, and received an equally playful grin in return. Yixing practically jumped in his chest, squealing in joy, but not before punching him for the third time that afternoon for worrying her over nothing. He hugged her tight, her pee hair in his face, her scent overwhelming.

 

"Congratulations, Yixing,"

 

The hug didn't take long. When they pulled apart, Lu Han was breathless and Yixing was pink in the face, blushing at the hug or overexertion, Lu Han wasn't so sure. But he liked the tinge on her cheeks, nonetheless.

 

"Thanks for being there," she said honestly, seriously. His shirt was still on her, still too big. Her hair cascaded her face, dropping into wavy curls around her shoulders. And Lu Han was still breathless--how could anyone affect him this way, just by smiling, just by ing looking at him like that--hell, he was so into her, dammit.

 

"Yeah, well. You wouldn't have gotten in if I weren't there, you know,"

 

Yixing scoffed at that, but wound her arm around Lu Han's shoulder nonetheless, pulling him away from the bus stop. Lu Han opened his mouth to stop her, because where was she going? Weren't they gonna wait for a bus?

 

Yixing merely pulled tighter when Lu Han resisted still. "It's been awhile since we last walked together, right? Walk me home, Xiao Lu. My grandparents misses you,"

 

He nodded his approval, letting Yixing pull him away. All throughout the walk home she didn't let go, and it took all of Lu Han's willpower not to slide her hand away and grasp it in his hand instead. But it was better this way, he thought. As long as he was there for her, everything was okay.

 


(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

 

notes:  I AM SORRY FOR THIS LONG OVERDUE CHAPTER, I REALLY AM. school had been very demanding lately, i barely had any time to edit this chapter u__u as u can see, it's pretty long. at least, longer than the previous ones lol. i blame jongin, BUT YEY JONGIN, the awkward teenager :3 anyway,  because of how late this is posted, i'll try to post the other chapter before the week ends (hopefully;;;;) 

 

hearteus for everyone who's subscribed and commented, thanks a lot for reading! ♥ ♥ ♥ :*