prologue

Nicest Thing
In all honesty, it was a perfectly normal summer afternoon. It was hot, which was perfectly normal as well, and Sehun and Lu Han sat on the sidewalk each eating one-half of a once whole popsicle. Sehun finished his first, bubble gum juice from his popsicle trailing down his chin, and pointed at a distance. “Look,” he said.
 
Lu Han stared blearily at the trail first, the heat of the sun slowing his reaction speed, thinking ‘Ew, Sehun,’ before he turned his head to where Sehun was pointing at.
 
Okay, in all honesty, it really was a perfectly normal summer afternoon. The sun was harsh, the air humid, and Yixing was still the same Yixing he saw yesterday. Except today, as Lu Han looked on as Yixing’s familiar silhouette became not so much as a silhouette anymore, she was...different. She didn't look any different, exactly, but for some reason, she was. Or maybe Lu Han's eyes were just playing tricks on him.
 
He continued looking on as she walked towards them, lazily taking her time and waving casually. Beside him, Sehun yelled an eager, “Yixing-noona!” and if it really were a normal summer day Lu Han would've reprimanded him for yelling near his ear. Instead, though, he just kept staring at Yixing, her pretty dimpled smile, her reddish hair glowing under the sun as if it were on fire. 
 
He kept staring, popsicle from his hand dropping down pathetically to splatter the asphalt underneath their feet. 
 
He just kept staring; everything and everyone stopped moving, even Sehun beside him froze. It was only Yixing walking towards him, only her and no one else. Something was definitely not normal.
 
The only thing in Lu Han’s mind was: ‘Has Yixing ever been this stunning?
 
“--Han,” she was saying, crouched in front of the both of them all of a sudden. The proximity was making him uncomfortable.  “Lu Han!”
 
Lu Han blinked. Yixing was looking at him as if he were crazy. “Um, what?”
 
“I said hi,” Yixing replied. She was smiling; has anyone’s smile affected him this much?
 
“Oh, hi...” he trailed off. It was pathetic, the way he was acting. Sehun nudged him with a bony elbow, snickering at him.
 
“What’s wrong?” Yixing asked, and this time she sounded genuinely worried.
 
But all Lu Han could think of was, ‘Close, too close! You’re too close, Yixing!’
 
“N-nothing’s wrong!” Lu Han exclaimed, suddenly standing up. Surprised, Yixing almost fell on her if Lu Han hadn’t reached out and held onto her arm. The contact went straight to Lu Han’s insides, made his heart fuzzy, his mind reeling. Butterflies erupted from his stomach. He pulled back his hand almost immediately. “W-what are you doing here?” , he was stuttering. Not a good sign.
 
Sehun was looking at him strangely from the side. Lu Han reached out, held onto his arm, and looked at him in panic. ‘Help, I feel weird,’
 
“We were supposed to watch a movie, remember?” Yixing said with a pout. She walked over to sling a friendly arm around Sehun’s shoulders. “Sehun, what’s wrong with your neighbor? He’s weird today,”
 
“I don’t know, noona,” Sehun admitted, groaning as he tried to disentangle Lu Han’s tight hold on his arm. Lu Han refused to let up even as they started to walk. 
 
Lu Han really, really felt weird. Just the thought of Yixing holding onto Sehun made his blood simmer in jealousy. He wanted to reach over and remove her hand, wanted her to hold him instead. Wait, was that even normal? Yixing always held onto Sehun most of the time. Why was he feeling jealous?
 
When Lu Han didn't talk for awhile, Yixing let go of Sehun's arm and went to Lu Han's side instead. Lu Han refused to look at her, clutching Sehun's arm tighter like his life depended on it. 
 
“You’re weird today, Lu Han,” Yixing told him seriously as she all but slung an arm around Lu Han's, totally oblivious to Lu Han’s internal confusion. Lu Han flinched immediately. He knew Yixing was doing this on purpose, of course she was. She always did this just to crowd him, make him uncomfortable, but it honestly felt a hundred times nicer--and well, weirder-- this time “Is something wrong?”
 
'Everything is wrong,' Lu Han thought, but opened his mouth to reply 'Nothing's wrong!' instead. No sound came from his unwilling throat. Yixing glanced at him from under her long fringe, and, without warning, gave a breathtaking grin. 
 
I think I’m in love--
 
Yixing giggled. “You look stupid, Lu Han,”
 
 
 
 
(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
 
 
notes: THIS TOOK SO LONG, JESUS. my apologies T T college has been really demanding, urghhh. good news tho is that i'm ///this/// close to finishing the whole series, probably about 4 more chapters? i don't know. BUT now that it's almost done, i'll be starting to post a new chapter on a regular basis now (hopefully;;;;;;) unless, of course, if something comes up and i fail to do so...
 
thank you to everyone who's subscribed! ♥ ♥ you lovely people are what kept me writing, honestly! so thanks a lot :***